PDA

View Full Version : Raiden fighters counts down from 999

Potato King
17th May 2007, 02:50 PM
Can anyone shed some light on why Raiden fighters counts down from 999 everytime I load it up? On an older version of Mame I had, once it had done this the first time & F3 was pressed it would not do the count down thereafter? Am I missing a cfg or ini file?:confused:

bwodie
17th May 2007, 03:39 PM
i used to notice that as well
I have the original board, and it doesn't happen on it

con
17th May 2007, 03:50 PM
you may have an outdated roms set?

XiTaU
17th May 2007, 03:54 PM
dont know on the version of mame i have it just counted down the once and it was fine after that.

elvis
17th May 2007, 04:34 PM
I've answered this before somewhere...

Bah can't find it.

Go into the dip switch settings (press TAB by default, select dip switches), and there's a switch you need to set in there. It'll stick out like dog's balls.

Once done, reset the game. Let it count down from 999 back to 0, and the game will start as normal.

Yes, this is the same behaviour on the real arcade board. It only needs to happen once when the game first starts, and for most second-hand owners, they'll never see it. Obviously in MAME when you fire it up for the first time and no nvram file is saved, it's as if you own a virgin board. :)

XiTaU
17th May 2007, 04:44 PM
its the update dip switch im pretty sure i didnt think it let you play the game while it was on though.

elvis
17th May 2007, 07:27 PM
its the update dip switch im pretty sure i didnt think it let you play the game while it was on though.

It's in the wrong setting on a virgin play. Flip it to the opposite of whatever it is. You MUST let the update happen once completely after setting it, or else it will not work.

Hint: set your frameskip to be a high number and turn off throttle. On a 2GHz or faster CPU, it will make the countdown whiz past in a few seconds rather than a few minutes. :)

Potato King
17th May 2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks heaps for the input guys.... but this is doing my head in........ I let it count to zero press tab, I have 3 options on the dip switch. On, Off & Update. Wether I try on or off the game boots with the same screen only no counter... just sits there, I have to set the dip back to Update & the counter returns at 999 again. So then I tried letting it count to zero & pressed F3 then changed the dip to either on or off... same deal on restarting the game, it does nothing until its returned to update at which time it starts back at 999:rant:.

So in short the dip switches donít seem to do anything . Am I still doing anything wrong? :(

elvis
18th May 2007, 06:47 AM
If I get time today, I'll go through the process on a test machine somewhere and tell you exactly what you have to do.

Potato King
18th May 2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks Elvis...:sm1:

If members of this forum were condiments you'd be the HP sauce... sorry bad analogy, it's early.

elvis
18th May 2007, 12:57 PM
1) Fire up Raiden Fighters in MAME

2) Press TAB, go to "Dip Switches", and make sure the JP1 dipswitch is set to "Update". Then select "return to main menu" and then "return to game".

3) Wait for the counter to count down from 999 all the way to 0. Hint: press F11 followed by F10, and you can make MAME run faster than realtime if your CPU is good enough (makes the wait shorter).

4) When the counter has reached 0 (and not a moment sooner) press TAB again. Go to "Dip Switches" and set the JP1 dipswitch to "On". Choose "return to main menu" and then from the menu choose "reset game".

5) The game will now restart and work.

Huzzah!

Top game too. I love the whole series. Of note, Raiden Fighters Australia (rdftau.zip) has all of the ships unlocked already. No need to complete the game several times to unlock the hidden ships. :)

Potato King
18th May 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks heaps for that Dan.... I tried that exact thing last nigt on my home computer but to no avail, Ive just tried the same thing on my work computer on 2 different versions of roms & it works fine.... Ill tinker at home tonight.

They are awesome games!:)

elvis
18th May 2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks heaps for that Dan.... I tried that exact thing last nigt on my home computer but to no avail, Ive just tried the same thing on my work computer on 2 different versions of roms & it works fine.... Ill tinker at home tonight.

You can copy all the files in the "nvram" subfolder under MAME from one PC to another. Take the working ones for rdft and overwrite the ones at home, and they should just go.

Potato King
19th May 2007, 01:10 AM
Yep thats what Ive ended up doing, thanks Dan