PDA

View Full Version : Outrun - No sound

Lubeck
20th December 2013, 07:24 AM
Hi everybody.. (hi doctor nick!)
i have for a year ago started as a arcade restorer and repair hobbyist/ collector. (been a console colletor for almost 3 years)
So far i have fixed 2 arcade machines (very easy fixes) a 1969 rock-ola juke box and a large toy crane.
2 days ago i got an upright Outrun deluxe. Game working, but no sound. No easy fix here, so now i really got to learn som new stuff.
Here is what i got so far.
- The speakers and amp board works (connected my iphone to it)
- Sound prom (ic 88 ) checkked in eprom reader and have a mach in romident
- Reflowed all ic?s around the sound prom area
- Checked for sound on PCB on the + - speaker connector with osilloscope.. Dead silent!
- Saw another post about a outrun with sound problems, to replace IC139, dittent have another LM334 but found a match on a scrap board, tryed to piggyback but no sound (i dont even know if you CAN piggy back such an IC :unsure) however when i removed it and my fingers touch the old one, i could hear a hum in the speakers?!
I would like to test it with the ocilloscope BUT i am new to that equipment, so i only know how to hook it up to a speaker out put :redface

Hope some of you can teach me the rest, and we could get sound back it this awsome arcade game

Best regards
Lubeck

Boots
20th December 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi everybody.. (hi doctor nick!)
i have for a year ago started as a arcade restorer and repair hobbyist/ collector. (been a console colletor for almost 3 years)
So far i have fixed 2 arcade machines (very easy fixes) a 1969 rock-ola juke box and a large toy crane.
2 days ago i got an upright Outrun deluxe. Game working, but no sound. No easy fix here, so now i really got to learn som new stuff.
Here is what i got so far.
- The speakers and amp board works (connected my iphone to it)
- Sound prom (ic 88 ) checkked in eprom reader and have a mach in romident
- Reflowed all ic?s around the sound prom area
- Checked for sound on PCB on the + - speaker connector with osilloscope.. Dead silent!
- Saw another post about a outrun with sound problems, to replace IC139, dittent have another LM334 but found a match on a scrap board, tryed to piggyback but no sound (i dont even know if you CAN piggy back such an IC :unsure) however when i removed it and my fingers touch the old one, i could hear a hum in the speakers?!
I would like to test it with the ocilloscope BUT i am new to that equipment, so i only know how to hook it up to a speaker out put :redface

Hope some of you can teach me the rest, and we could get sound back it this awsome arcade game

Best regards
Lubeck

Assuming you've checked the 12V power?

Lubeck
20th December 2013, 03:06 PM
Hi boots.
The pcb i an original sega outrun, and arcording to the pinout i was able to find online it only needs 5v... But the bootleg outrun pcb needs 12v and 5v.
But i am not sure about this, do you have a different pinout?
Best regards
Lubeck

Boots
20th December 2013, 03:35 PM
Hi boots.
The pcb i an original sega outrun, and arcording to the pinout i was able to find online it only needs 5v... But the bootleg outrun pcb needs 12v and 5v.
But i am not sure about this, do you have a different pinout?
Best regards
Lubeck
Mine is original and has 12V there.
12V is normally only there for running the amp

Homepin
20th December 2013, 03:46 PM
Game boards that only used 5V were often bootlegs that didn't include the components on the main PCB for the audio amp as they used to run a small audio amp board externally to the main game board.

Almost all IC type amps of this era need 12V to run. More modern IC types use MOSFET output stages and will happily run on 5 or even 3V3

Lubeck
20th December 2013, 03:47 PM
Ok, I'll check this tonight
Thanks for your help

Lubeck
25th December 2013, 10:24 PM
Ok, so went over the board again, and this board only need 5v, the AMP is on a seperat board (Will post pictures when i get to a computer)
So now i am starting to search for the problem with an Oscilloscope, still new to this equipment but gets a huge help from Elgen, so i hope to find the fault.
I'll keep you informed
Merry x-mas everybody