PDA

View Full Version : MGL Mini-Comp Xmas 2013 - The Shmups Off!

Pages : [1] 2

OOO
1st December 2013, 10:57 PM
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLShmupsOff2013_Final_zpsc91da476.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLShmupsOff2013_Final_zpsc91da476.png.html)

The 2013 Xmas Shmups Off will kick off on Friday 6-Dec-2013 and end at 7pm on Sunday 5-Jan-2014.
This is a 3 game mini-comp and all 3 games will be posted and start by 7pm. Then it's GAME ON!

I figured that since last Xmas mini-comp was 3 x Pacman maze games and players did not get to pick the games, I’d ask you this time around to nominate the games you want to play instead, just that the theme for this mini-comp is shootem ups, where it all began so long ago …

Settings for the Shmups Off:

1. Default DIP switches will be posted for every game.
2. Points scoring will be the percentage system and everyone who submits a score will receive points.

Rules for nominating your games:

1. The Shmups Off will be a hidden favourites competition.
2. Every player can nominate up to 3 different SHOOTEM UP games.
Please only nominate shootem up games. What’s that you say? If the game shoots bullets, it qualifies. Anything else nominated is disqualified. Eg Gunsmoke is OK, Crush Roller is not OK.
3. PLEASE DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR GAMES IN HERE OR PUBLICLY - To nominate your games you need to send a private message (PM) to the MGL organiser (OOO for The Shmups Off) with your nominations.
Any game nominations posted in this thread will be deleted from this thread and the nominations will be disregarded. After you send your PM, you cannot change your nominations.
4. Each game you nominate counts as one vote. In this way each person's vote is equal to every other person's vote.
5. After nominations close, the 3 games with the most votes will be played. In case of a tie of votes, the game will be randomly selected from that tie group.
6. More than one game in a series will be eliminated if they qualified on votes to ensure game interest and variety. Eg If Gradius II and Gradius III are nominated with equal votes or by chance, one of these games will be eliminated by chance.
7. After nominations are closed, the 3 games to be played will be made public immediately.
This is a four week shootout, so all games are up and you can play and improve your score on any game, any time.
8. The following games are excluded from your nominations. If you include them in your PM, I have to remove the game - sorry :(!
All games are out with the last 2 years of games.

Excluded games (yes I know many of these below are not shmups, but I added them anyway):

10 Yard Fight, Aliens, Anteater, Bosconian, Bubble Bobble, Bump n Jump, Burger Time, Crazy Kong, Donkey Kong,
Double Dragon, Eagle, Elevator Action, Exzisus, Fantasy Zone, Fly Boy, Frogger, Galaga, Ghosts n Goblins, Grobda, Gyruss,
Hyper Olympics, Ladybug, Lunar Rescue, Momoko 120%, Moon Patrol, Mr Do, Ms Pacman, New Rally X, Pandora's Palace,
Pacmania, Pac n Pal, Popeye, Road Fighter, Roc n Rope, R-Type, Rygar, Snow Bros, Solar Quest, Space Chaser,
Star Force, Time Pilot, Turtles, Tutankham, Uniwar S, Valtric, Xaind Sleena, Zoo Keeper,
Wonderboy, Dig Dug, Pac-man, Pooyan, Mario Bros, Xevious, Amidar, Galaxian.

9. No bootlegs/clones of excluded games are allowed. (e.g. Pac n Pal is the same as Pac-Man and Chomp Chomp). If in doubt, nominate your game and it will be reviewed to determine if it is valid.
10. Games must be playable on a standard cabinet - 1 joystick and 3 buttons maximum. Trackball games are out.
11. Please nominate with the following in mind:
It should be a game you love to play
It was probably a game that was available in Australian arcades
If you nominate you play, don’t nominate if you won’t play.
Everyone at AA is welcome to play in the MGL, the more the merrier. :)
12. Nominations close Thursday 5-Dec-2013 at 10pm.
13. At the end of the MGL, I will post all the nominations made by members so you can see which games were in the pool of games.

Hit KLOV.com, check MAME, find your favourite killer shootem up games and nominate away by PM.
General talk about what games may come up or what you may nominate is fine, however please remember not to nominate your games publicly.

The MGL Shmups Off nominations are now open ... :)

- - - Updated - - -

I just posted this thread and sairuk already sent me his selections.
He nominated some really cool games, but I can't tell you now ... :rolleyes

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLShmupsOff2013_Final_zpse33cf5f0.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLShmupsOff2013_Final_zpse33cf5f0.png.html)

Final Scoreboards ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOindSB13_zpsde78dcbd.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOindSB13_zpsde78dcbd.png.html)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOSB13_zps31df81d7.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOSB13_zps31df81d7.png.html)

Congratulations to both RMacauley and Rat.
For the championship, they played some brillant performances.
Rob taking out 1st, 2nd and 1st and Rat 2nd, 1st and 4th respectively on the games scoreboard.
In the 7 year history of the MGL, no competition was won by so few points ... 0.20 points!

:)

OOO

OOO
1st December 2013, 11:02 PM
1 minute later, Binkles nominates 3 interesting selections by PM.
This is going to be a great mini-comp. :)

Binkles
1st December 2013, 11:05 PM
Is it ok if I post two scores? The boy we look after a couple of nights per week has been playing the competition games as well.

OOO
1st December 2013, 11:13 PM
Is it ok if I post two scores? The boy we look after a couple of nights per week has been playing the competition games as well.

Yes that's fine.
What player name should I use for the scoreboard? Please let me know.
When you post his score, please clearly post his player name with the screenshot and state his score.

Binkles
1st December 2013, 11:15 PM
Put him down as Shadow :)

I'll make to differentiate our scores.

OOO
1st December 2013, 11:19 PM
Put him down as Shadow :)

I'll make to differentiate our scores.

Shadow hey ... sounds cool :cool:
Done!

John73
2nd December 2013, 09:06 AM
Stuck for ideas? Try this

http://www.mamedb.com/category/Shooter

I'm not real good at shooters, but I'll give this a shot. Only got game in mind so far, and I'm positive I'll get slaughtered by almost everyone in it :laugh:

Off to peruse the list and find two more games

moat
2nd December 2013, 01:22 PM
Newb alert.. My nominations are in and looking forward to meeting you guys on the battlefield..

dylzy
2nd December 2013, 01:54 PM
This years Christmas gift from AA.... Trigger finger

Rat
2nd December 2013, 04:48 PM
Subscribed :) too tired after N/S to nom ATM. Hey virtualgaz are you going to join us in this one?

Binkles
2nd December 2013, 07:35 PM
Newb alert.. My nominations are in and looking forward to meeting you guys on the battlefield..

Battlefield? I'm more a couch type of guy, come over I'll provide beer ;)

moat
2nd December 2013, 08:19 PM
if we could only harness the energy of buttons being mashed over the coming weeks it would probably power the trip to claim that beer.. ::-)

solar power is old news..

shmup power!!

virtualgaz
2nd December 2013, 09:40 PM
yeah, nice heads up Rat. I think my MAME is v.106. Should be fun (if the games drop right... and a nightmare if they don't!).

OOO
3rd December 2013, 06:43 PM
7.30pm Tuesday night ...

So far Binkles, Brad, sairuk, moat, John73, RMacauley, virtualgaz, Dkong and Mameshane have put in their nominations - EXCELLENT!
The potential line up looks great, but no games are decided yet.
2 days of nominations to go, what will the final 3 be ... :026:

OOO
4th December 2013, 06:54 PM
Rat and Fridgy have joined the fray with their nominations overnight ... :023:

1 more day of nominations to go ...
Who else is game enough to compete in the Shmups Off?

Brad
4th December 2013, 07:50 PM
OOO bloody well better have a go.

Brad

moat
4th December 2013, 08:07 PM
not long left now to bolt down the cab and let the neighbors know that its not a series of domestic disturbances they'll be hearing over the next few weeks.. i've seen the scores you guys have been racking up in the other mgl's and i think i'm gunna be the eddie the eagle of the shmup off.. ::-)

Brett2280
4th December 2013, 09:06 PM
Count me in.

OOO
4th December 2013, 09:50 PM
not long left now to bolt down the cab and let the neighbors know that its not a series of domestic disturbances they'll be hearing over the next few weeks.. i've seen the scores you guys have been racking up in the other mgl's and i think i'm gunna be the eddie the eagle of the shmup off.. ::-)

Don't worry about the really high scores if they happen. The key here is for everyone to enjoy playing, improving your skills and hitting new PBs.
And the fun of the posts on the forum ... it's a great community ... :)

- - - Updated - - -

OOO bloody well better have a go.

Brad

Thanks for the invite, but I am really busy with work and few other things.
I want to spend the little spare time I have running this MGL for you guys and watch you guys "shoot, or be shot" ... :laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

Count me in.

Awesome and welcome. Get ready for some challenging games!

Binkles
4th December 2013, 10:01 PM

Damn it I'm the Eddie the Eagle of these competitions, I can only dream of dreaming of winning, and even then, I have to be dreaming, of dreaming, of dreaming.... I think, Oh I've confused myself.

I have the alcohol ready to decrease my ability to shoot anything. I've even said I'll take my daughter to a dance on the night that competition!!!

I will not have anyone coming in and ruining my chance of being near the bottom damn it!!!

(psst - wanna share a beer and laugh at our scores, but know we're still part of it??)

We could be the Stephen Bradburys of the MGL tournament.......

On a serious note - even to try and beat your own personal best, and to give you a reason to try and play - you've won right there and then.

On another forum they have galala 88 as the competition - I'm not near the winner - but I've beaten my score twice on a game I would otherwise not really play.

OOO
4th December 2013, 10:25 PM
Brett2280, kane and outrun86 have just sent in their nominations by PM ...
Hmmm interesting, another vote here or there is going to affect the final line up.

moat
4th December 2013, 10:29 PM
I want to spend the little spare time I have running this MGL for you guys and watch you guys "shoot, or be shot" ... :laugh:

fighting for the users?

OOO
4th December 2013, 10:45 PM
fighting for the users?

The MCP is a formidable foe, exactly the same as the arcade games we all play and the games you are about to play in the Shmups Off.
To defeat them is very difficult, and I support all users who try ...

Binkles
4th December 2013, 11:10 PM
Hi my name is Laurence, welcome to the first MGL support group meeting.

I have been 1 day without pressing buttons...

moat
5th December 2013, 07:47 AM
Hi my name is Laurence, welcome to the first MGL support group meeting.

I have been 1 day without pressing buttons...

Hi Laurence..

My name is Michael and its been.. well.. around 10 minutes.. woke up early and let off a few practice rounds while the rest of the house was sleeping.. ::-)

The MCP is a formidable foe...

ahh memories.. warwick (QLD) drive-in , opening night, dodgy speaker hung in the window.. spent much of the movie explaining to my dad what was going on.. where were you when you first saw TRON..?

so with one day to go any indication which way the pack is leaning.. classics..? crazy ass bullet hell..?

OOO
5th December 2013, 07:08 PM
So with one day to go any indication which way the pack is leaning.. classics..? crazy ass bullet hell..?

I can't say now, as nominations from one member can change the lineup ... :confused:
But I can say that Foot and Fire_Power have nominated to join the competition, so we have 2 hours to go until nominations are closed.

OOO
5th December 2013, 09:16 PM
OK it's 10pm on Thursday night.

Nominations for the MGL Shmups Off is now closed.

I'll be adding up the votes and deriving the games that you guys want to play, plus I'll post the default game settings etc ...
7pm tomorrow night, "all hell will break loose".
You better have plenty of ammo ...

moat
5th December 2013, 09:33 PM
You better have plenty of ammo ...

sounds promising..

outrun86
6th December 2013, 05:51 PM
Awesome...🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

OOO
6th December 2013, 06:11 PM
Here we go ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLShmupsOff2013_Final_zpse33cf5f0.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLShmupsOff2013_Final_zpse33cf5f0.png.html)

Score Submissions:
Please make a new post for each score with your score as the first line or title of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score.
Also please make sure your settings are as above. Thanks.

GAMES ON!

:031: :031: :031:

moat
6th December 2013, 06:24 PM
scramble.. my nemesis.. we meet again..

if thats the votes underneath and 3rd place was on 2 votes there must have been a good selection of games nominated.. any chance of a list?, i still get surprised occasionally by finding entirely new games..

Brad
6th December 2013, 06:41 PM
Back to my usual not one of my nominations =/

outrun86
6th December 2013, 06:54 PM
Scramble 46480 PB and we're off!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/06/vytu5uge.jpg

John73
6th December 2013, 07:18 PM
Hey OOO, can you post the list of games that scored two nominations but didn't get listed by chance?

I had a feeling that 1942 would get in, surprised Rob didn't vote for it, I think he has a pretty decent high score on it. 1942 is one of my favorites shooters (behind Gyruss & Time Pilot) but I'm not very good at it :redface

Looking forward to Scramble too, last time that was played in a MGL I'd only just managed to get to the end after about 10 days, so hopefully I can push my score a bit higher.

Haven't heard of the 3rd game, so that's a new one for me.

Good luck everyone. Might get a bit more liquored up and have a smash shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

Scramble 25,430 - Not bad for 2nd game in ages :)

1942 42,800

- - - Updated - - -

OOO
6th December 2013, 07:22 PM
If thats the votes underneath and 3rd place was on 2 votes there must have been a good selection of games nominated.. any chance of a list?

Hey OOO, can you post the list of games that scored two nominations but didn't get listed by chance?
Normally I post the stats at the end of the MGL, but since you guys have asked for it now, I'll get onto it to provide a nice breakdown of all of the votes and all of the games later tonight ...

I had a feeling that 1942 would get in, surprised Rob didn't vote for it, I think he has a pretty decent high score on it.
Rob was being nice by not voting for it. Decent isn't the right word ... :)

Looking forward to Scramble too, last time that was played in a MGL I'd only just managed to get to the end after about 10 days, so hopefully I can push my score a bit higher.
It's a great classic and Rob will enjoy this too.

Haven't heard of the 3rd game, so that's a new one for me.
Well that's a good thing!

Good luck everyone. Agree with you on that one!

Now onto that spreadsheet ...

PS: I love moat's new avatar, I bought the whole DVD series a few years ago, a really great sci-fi show with Ed Bishop and many others (like the fashionable lady staff on Moonbase for instance :)).
And the music opening is terrific, I even bought it from iTunes ... :redface

John73
6th December 2013, 07:29 PM
1,003,9000 - Do Donpachi (a.k.a. shooter with 2000 enemies & 5000 bullets on screen at one time)

That will do for starting scores, just nice to be winning this comp, even if it will be short lived (around 10-30 mins I'm guessing)

- - - Updated - - -

Normally I post the stats at the end of the MGL, but since you guys have asked for it now, I'll get onto it to provide a nice breakdown of all of the votes and all of the games later tonight ...

Thanks. I know it's best to wait until the end in a normal MGL, but all 3 games are out, so we're not spoiling anything :)

- - - Updated - - -

Rob was being nice by not voting for it. Decent isn't the right word ... :)

Oh didn't know he was that good... should I look up the score? nahh... I'll let it be a surprise when he thrashes everyone :)

OOO
6th December 2013, 07:33 PM
Back to my usual not one of my nominations =/

You had a good chance, it just didn't turn out that way.
I'll post the games nominated and how close it really was tonight.

moat
6th December 2013, 07:41 PM
1942 - 54170

A quick starter on the pc before i swing the screen around tomorrow and get started on the cab..

PS: I love moat's new avatar, I bought the whole DVD series a few years ago, a really great sci-fi show with Ed Bishop and many others (like the fashionable lady staff on Moonbase for instance :)).
And the music opening is terrific, I even bought it from iTunes ... :redface

I had a feeling you were a man of excellent taste OOO.. Got the box sets of Space 1999 and Captain Scarlet next to it on the shelf.. I've got some 3D photos of UFO sets and effects miniatures around here somewhere as well.. UFO was the best of them.. it was just so funky.. and oh yea.. moonbase uniform.. ::-)

OOO
6th December 2013, 07:42 PM
1,003,9000 - Do Donpachi (a.k.a. shooter with 2000 enemies & 5000 bullets on screen at one time)

I am going to need a very wide cell in the scoreboard for the Do Don Pachi scores.
A kazillion points is going to stretch the screen a bit ... :laugh:
2,000 enemies and 5,000 bullets - that's a shmup alright ... :)

John73
6th December 2013, 07:45 PM
2,000 enemies and 5,000 bullets - that's a shmup alright ... :)

Nah, that is the programmers getting their hands on a M68000 processor running at 14Mhz and nearly creaming themselves at the sheer amount of sprites they could cram onto the screen at one time.

OOO
6th December 2013, 07:54 PM
Nah, that is the programmers getting their hands on a M68000 processor running at 14Mhz and nearly creaming themselves at the sheer amount of sprites they could cram onto the screen at one time.

Nah, it's inflation through time ...

1974 Pong in the 10s high score
1978 Space Invaders up to 100K to 200K was a good score.
1982/3 Ms Pacman/Frogger 900K world records
1996 Do Don Pachi kazillions of points to match all the bullets and enemies.
(Nibbler doesn't count for scores in the 80s because it is a long worm.)

Same for the pinball EMs to todays pinballs, from a few thousand or so to now a few billion on score (and the woeful disappearance of free games via Specials)...

:p

John73
6th December 2013, 07:58 PM
Nah, it's inflation through time ...

1974 Pong in the 10s high score
1978 Space Invaders up to 100K to 200K was a good score.
1982/3 Ms Pacman/Frogger 900K world records
1996 Do Don Pachi kazillions of points to match all the bullets and enemies.

Same for the pinball EMs to todays pinballs, from a few thousand or so to now a few billion ...

:p

I was actually referring to the number of sprites, not the size of the score (although storing a score of several million on an old 8-bit machine did present problems). Try showing this many sprites on the hardware that Pac-Man (much less Pong) ran on - would never happen. New hardware was being released every couple of months, just a big race to see who could cram the most out of the hardware - this is where CAG died IMO - it became less about game play and more about how pretty/the game talks/look at all those sprites on screen at one time, and let's see how much money we can extract from the player :)

OOO
6th December 2013, 08:02 PM
I was actually referring to the number of sprites, not the size of the score

I was actually referring to the kazillion points scores taking up a lot of sprites too ... :lol

sairuk
6th December 2013, 08:04 PM
\o/ time to play .... scramble eh ... guess i should have a look at that one first

OOO
6th December 2013, 08:42 PM
Ok, here are the statistics of the nominations ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLShmupsOffNominations_zps7ac5af27.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLShmupsOffNominations_zps7ac5af27.png.html)

16 players provided 46 nominations for 34 different games.
1942 and Scramble were automatic game selections based on the most votes of 5 and 3 respectively.
This left one game to be selected from the remaining games.
Those games with 2 votes were in the pool for selection by chance for the 3rd game.
These were Do Don Pachi, Flying Shark, Guwange, Raiden, Slap Fight and Tiger Heli.
Do Don Pachi was selected by chance to make up the final three.
John73 was the only player to get 2 of his nominated games to be played.

John73
6th December 2013, 08:57 PM
John73 was the only player to get 2 of his nominated games to be played.

And yet he still won't finish in the top 5 :rolleyes

Of the games that Brad nominated that didn't get picked, I think I've seen only (possibly played) Tiger Heli and it looked like an alright game. Must fire it up now and check it out.

Out of interest OOO, what would have happened if 1942 & 1943 got the votes? would you have allowed both to be played? Must say, I never ever saw 1943 in any arcade here in Australia and played it maybe once or twice on MAME, so no idea how it really compares.

EDIT: No I haven't played Tiger Heli before - just gave it a go and it looks like a cool game. Nominate it again Brad, if you don't, I will. Love the graphic style used in these sorts of top down games. Unfortunately I'm too pissed to have a proper game of it right now.

moat
6th December 2013, 09:07 PM
Do Don Pachi - 3427010

nice selection of games there.. a couple i'm not familiar with to check out..

OOO
6th December 2013, 09:22 PM
Out of interest OOO, what would have happened if 1942 & 1943 got the votes? would you have allowed both to be played?

As per rule no.6 on the main page of this thread:

6. More than one game in a series will be eliminated if they qualified on votes to ensure game interest and variety. Eg If Gradius II and Gradius III are nominated with equal votes or by chance, one of these games will be eliminated by chance.

If 1942 and 1943 had the most votes, one of these would have been eliminated by chance, as per rule no.6, not order no.66 ... :laugh:

moat
6th December 2013, 09:42 PM
Scramble - 14950

a new personal best.. i can duck and dodge and weave do don pachi comfortably till it gets really crazy but i'm like a moth to a flame with those damn ufo's in scramble..

outrun86
6th December 2013, 09:48 PM
Slap fight and Flying Shark got 2 votes too...would of loved to see those selected :(
Can't complain tho!

RMacauley
6th December 2013, 09:54 PM
I had a feeling that 1942 would get in, surprised Rob didn't vote for it, I think he has a pretty decent high score on it.

I did consider voting for 1942 but these days I tend to prefer 1943. I'm a bit rusty on 1942 right now.

Scramble! Hell yeah! I was hoping it would get in. An old favourite from way back when.

As for DoDonPachi I have played it once or twice but nothing to write home about score wise back then.

Nothing from me tonight. A few too many ales on board and I really need an early night

John73
6th December 2013, 10:00 PM

If 1942 and 1943 had the most votes, one of these would have been eliminated by chance, as per rule no.6, not order no.66 ... :laugh:

My bad for not going back and reading the rulz :redface

Brett2280
6th December 2013, 11:42 PM
Ok will start playing these games tomorrow. Prepare for the worst scores ever. Lol

Foot
6th December 2013, 11:51 PM
One day we shall play Omega Race in an MGL and the peasant folk shall rejoice and thanks will bestowed upon the Nominator of the most revered game ever to grace the great chronicles of the forum known as Aussie Arcade ....

Or some crap like that :D

Fire_Power
7th December 2013, 06:24 AM
Hmmm 16 players nominated, yet only 46 votes? Hard to believe someone couldn't find three shooters to pick :unsure :lol

DKong
7th December 2013, 09:01 AM
Awesome happy to see Do don Pachi get in, didn't think it would stand a chance against games like 1942.

Nice range of games, SlapFight would of been better than 1942 though :D

Better fix my vertical name cab, off to the oven with the AVGA card then :lol

John73
7th December 2013, 09:14 AM
One day we shall play Omega Race in an MGL and the peasant folk shall rejoice and thanks will bestowed upon the Nominator of the most revered game ever to grace the great chronicles of the forum known as Aussie Arcade ....

Or some crap like that :D

Omega Race is a cool game, well it was last time I played it on my Vic-20 :D Technically speaking though, isn't this a non-joystick game that uses orbital controls?

OOO
7th December 2013, 10:47 AM
Ok will start playing these games tomorrow. Prepare for the worst scores ever. Lol

I am sure as you play these games over the next few weeks, you'll get better and better scores ... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Slap fight and Flying Shark got 2 votes too...would of loved to see those selected :(
Can't complain tho!

There are quite a few really good games that did not make the final 3.
And in a way that's a good thing, because that means there are plenty of great games to be played in future MGLs ... :045:

- - - Updated - - -

\o/ time to play .... scramble eh ... guess i should have a look at that one first

OK, 14 hours have passed by, how's it looking now? :guru:

Mameshane
7th December 2013, 11:28 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/yqunemus.jpg

Mameshane
7th December 2013, 11:28 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/gaja2uqy.jpg

scramble

Mameshane
7th December 2013, 11:30 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/yma9u2eb.jpg

dodonpachi

sairuk
7th December 2013, 12:41 PM
OK, 14 hours have passed by, how's it looking now? :guru:

To be fair I was sleeping for most of that time and at the skatepark with the kids for the remainder :P

Mameshane
7th December 2013, 01:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/asa6yzer.jpg

Mameshane
7th December 2013, 01:12 PM
24470http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/uzujemag.jpg

OOO
7th December 2013, 01:13 PM

And Mameshane takes the lead on Do Don Pachi, from moat by 255,270 (In Do Don Pachi score terms, the difference is very small, but enough!) ...

sairuk
7th December 2013, 01:38 PM
Had a quick game today, bloody rusty on this one thought I used to be able to combo the whole 1st level. Do love this game though, ended the 1st level with a whopping 400k (sarcasm), previous game was 700k finish before bonuses were calc'd.

moat
7th December 2013, 01:47 PM
Do Don Pachi - 3854340

First time i've managed to hit the high score table..

John73
7th December 2013, 02:58 PM
Scramble 34,990

- - - Updated - - -

1942 78,090

Foot
7th December 2013, 03:35 PM
Omega Race is a cool game, well it was last time I played it on my Vic-20 :D Technically speaking though, isn't this a non-joystick game that uses orbital controls?

All you need is left and right on the joystick, too easy

Brad
7th December 2013, 03:37 PM

outrun86
7th December 2013, 03:58 PM
5968730 Had around 6 credits on this game, never played it before. Far too many digits on the score! Good fun tho!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/2age3a4e.jpg

moat
7th December 2013, 04:16 PM
1942 - 148270

daym.. nice score there outrun86..

outrun86
7th December 2013, 04:23 PM
1942 - 148270

daym.. nice score there outrun86..

Thank Moat👍. I'm sure it won't be too for long.

outrun86
7th December 2013, 04:33 PM
I mean TOP! Good score back at you for 1942!

John73
7th December 2013, 05:51 PM
Scramble 39,870

- - - Updated - - -

1942 - 99,700................ choke much when you think you're going to crack 100k?

Brett2280
7th December 2013, 06:25 PM
Heres my best scramble score so far 15130

Binkles
7th December 2013, 06:35 PM
Stupid games mumble, damn stupid, need more cider... Stupid scramble, more cider required stupid game more cider required, excellent after 5th in seeing two ships and lower scores...

That I think is going to have to be my game plan, sober I'm doing real crap.

Now I remember why I'm not a big shmups fan, my wrists are sore.

Can't believe I didn't nominate bank panic. It's got guns....

Brad
7th December 2013, 06:35 PM
DoDonHolyBulletHell: 4477930

Can I make a suggestion that we have a separate thread for each games submissions?

Cheers,
Brad

OOO
7th December 2013, 07:34 PM
DoDonHolyBulletHell: 4477930

Can I make a suggestion that we have a separate thread for each games submissions?

Cheers,
Brad

I just used the same format as last year, 1 thread for all 3 games. We are playing all 3 games at once and I think John73's idea of 1 thread was the best.
We don't have a MGL "bucket" like MGL19 to put all the threads in, which means they sit mixed in with all the other threads that have nothing to do with this MGL.
Also I prefer 1 thread for all 3 games since the scoreboard updates will always have all 3 games at once for an overall ranking and I plan to post the individual game scores as well with rankings.
One score will affect the overall scoreboard and the individual game scoreboard, and since there is only 3 games and 1 thread, you can read both scoreboards conveniently in one update post.
You'll see this later tonight.

However if you all want separate threads, Brad can you create a MGL container for the Shmups off so the threads stay in there like for MGL19?
Also can you separate this thread into 3 new threads where some content is posted for more than one game?
Also I'll need to separate the game settings image into 3 separate ones.
I think it's too much work and I think it's too late to do it now anyway ...

moat
7th December 2013, 07:40 PM
Stupid scramble, more cider required

i'm with ya binkles.. my reflexes aren't what they used to be but i can generally rack up some respectable scores on a shooter.. but scramble just flips some switch in my brain that disconnects my sense of cause and effect from any gaming related activity and i consistently remain oblivious to the white noise filled death that awaits if i do whatever the hell it is i'm thinking of doing untill it is white noise filled too late.. sucked at scramble in all its various ports and incarnations, typed in a dodgy flickery ascii scramble game from a C64 magazine back in the day and i sucked at that to.. somewhere out there is scramble god.. like unbreakable.. a bruce willis to my mr glass....

outrun86
7th December 2013, 08:39 PM
64340 Capcom 1942
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/ve7asu2e.jpg

203510 - John has just pipped me!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/e8ybetyv.jpg

RMacauley
7th December 2013, 09:41 PM
It's a start. Very rusty on 1942 and considering I had 200K plus on Scramble on a 48 in 1 board at Gameroom Essentials earlier today 105K isn't great. Happy with DoDonPachi for now.

outrun86
7th December 2013, 09:44 PM
And the bomb has been dropped!

moat
7th December 2013, 09:48 PM
that's not so much a dropped bomb its more a nuking from orbit..

outrun86
7th December 2013, 09:51 PM
that's not so much a dropped bomb its more a nuking from orbit..

Brilliant... Pmsl! That's a good starting point...and it maybe beyond my final score in Jan.
Scramble will be getting a bashing!

OOO
7th December 2013, 10:26 PM
OK 11.30 pm, here is an update after Day 2 ...

First the overall scoreboard, where the lead changed hands several times throughout the last 2 days ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOSB1_zpsb027dccf.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOSB1_zpsb027dccf.png.html)

And the individual scoreboards for all three games ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOindSB1_zps2071526c.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOindSB1_zps2071526c.png.html)

Really early days and many players yet to post a score and improve on their score...

Brett2280
8th December 2013, 12:38 AM
My scramble score was 15130
Dondon 3386250

Fire_Power
8th December 2013, 07:39 AM
1942 - 44,570 it's a start

Brett2280
8th December 2013, 08:45 AM
1942. 79160
Dondon. 4590890

John73
8th December 2013, 09:32 AM
Gonna attempt to stream some game play www.twitch.com/mrbumpnjump if this internet connection holds out. All three of my scores are going down !

John73
8th December 2013, 10:33 AM
Scramble 43,980
Do Don Pachi 1,535,720
1942 190,830

OOO
8th December 2013, 11:33 AM
Gonna attempt to stream some game play www.twitch.com/mrbumpnjump if this internet connection holds out. All three of my scores are going down !

You weren't kidding, the post #91 (http://www.aussiearcade.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=91) shows you beat all 3 of your previous scores.
Up you go into 5th place, you just passed moat on the overall scoreboard.

John73
8th December 2013, 12:16 PM
It's easy to push your 1942 score way higher once you get passed the 3rd stage, so nice easy points come quickly.

I don't know what it is about Scramble, I get more tense playing this game than any other.

- - - Updated - - -

1942 - 206,380

Binkles
8th December 2013, 12:54 PM
These two scores are for SHADOW.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/tunahujy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/2ajy4a9e.jpg

Scramble isn't worth posting yet.

Binkles
8th December 2013, 01:09 PM
And my scores, again not posting scramble.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/sydujevy.jpg

My score is the 4th one - 4524730

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/e9yvezub.jpg

moat
8th December 2013, 02:49 PM
DoDonPachi - 5284550

Scramble continues to defeat me.. i may have peaked early on that one tho i haven't tried an alfoil beanie to block the scramble rays yet..

RMacauley
8th December 2013, 02:50 PM
Battling joystick issues and the ever looming threat of broken fingers. :safeyet:

moat
8th December 2013, 03:00 PM
Too much respect for those scores to break the golden fingers but if those scores keep going the way they're going i may have to insist on a turing test ::-)

Brad
8th December 2013, 03:02 PM
Wow Rob!

I have a love hate relationship with Scramble. I love it because it's a classic but I hate it because I don't really enjoy the game.

Scramble: 36,320 - Ignore the top score as thats from a previous MGL

DoDonMyEyes: 7,427,750

I thought I might be okay with this score...thanks Rob :lol

outrun86
8th December 2013, 03:17 PM
Remember guys....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/nevu3yjy.jpg
Lol

moat
8th December 2013, 04:05 PM
Scramble - 20110

it must have been the alfoil beanie..

Barra
8th December 2013, 04:15 PM
Only just noticed this thread, wish I couldve got some nominations in!

Minimal experience on 1942 and DDP, none on scramble. Watch this space for some crappy scores!

Binkles
8th December 2013, 04:51 PM
Remember guys....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/nevu3yjy.jpg
Lol

Cider isn't a drug, I'm good

Mikie
8th December 2013, 05:13 PM
1942 116130
Dodon 2624110
Scramble 24500

Brett2280
8th December 2013, 09:02 PM
1942. 214130.
Ok having an issue. Trying to upload photos i have 0 of 10 mb used and after clicking add file upload the circle that spins by the 0 of 10mb just stops and no picture is uploaded. Any ideas?
Thanks

outrun86
8th December 2013, 10:07 PM
237950 PB 1942. Don't see me going too much further at this game. Difficulty picks up on level 7.
Scramble is annoying me, can kill the base on 1 life but then just lose all my ships on the second round of levels..Grrr.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/4avu4esu.jpg

sairuk
8th December 2013, 11:45 PM
Just an aside, nice article on DoDonPachi here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-06-dodonpachi-retrospective

outrun86
9th December 2013, 06:25 AM
Toaplan were awesome in the 80's, didn't realise DDP was made by ex-employees. Big SlapFight and Flying Shark fan👍

Brad
9th December 2013, 09:50 AM
1942. 214130.
Ok having an issue. Trying to upload photos i have 0 of 10 mb used and after clicking add file upload the circle that spins by the 0 of 10mb just stops and no picture is uploaded. Any ideas?
Thanks

There are two upload methods in that windows. Try the alternate option and see how you go.

Brad

John73
9th December 2013, 11:25 AM
Scramble 57,480

Getting up towards my 71k PB

OOO
9th December 2013, 07:21 PM
8pm on Day 4.

A lot of scores have been submitted so we need an update ...

Individual game tables:

outrun86 nudges out Brad for 2nd place in 1942. John73 and Mameshame not far behind.
Scramble seems to be a tough one, but John73 sits nicely in 2nd place from outrun86, but a lot of players are yet to post scores on this one and improve over the next few weeks.
Brad holds 2nd place in Do Don kazillion bullets, but there is a strong pack with outrun86, moat, Brett2280 and Binkles in pursuit.
Mikie joins the fray and sits mid table with his first set of scores.
Nice to have Shadow join in for the fun.
RMacauley posts some nice improved scores.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOindSB2_zps73040bc6.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOindSB2_zps73040bc6.png.html)

Overall Scoreboard:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOSB2_zpsde224877.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOSB2_zpsde224877.png.html)

4 out of 31 gone, so much to learn and shoot.

camaro
9th December 2013, 07:55 PM
Scramble is going to kill me on this one, but after playing the last MGL, will definitely get some scores in.

outrun86
9th December 2013, 08:09 PM
Scramble 57,480

Getting up towards my 71k PB

That's a good score John 🚀. How good is Rob 😵

John73
9th December 2013, 08:24 PM
That's a good score John ��. How good is Rob ��

I believe you average 20-25k per round, so Rob is doing at least 6 if not 7 rounds I'd imagine.

Not sure where he loses lives, but sections 3 and 4 drive me friggin nuts.

outrun86
9th December 2013, 08:26 PM
Yeah....the fire balls and the rocket maze stage wipe me out on the second run through

OOO
9th December 2013, 09:09 PM
My one claim to fame on AA

Very nice, and a great achievement!

Yeah good stuff, written into the annals of AA history forever, and I'm listening to Emerson, Lake and Palmer right now: Tank, The Barbarian, The Curse of Baba Yaga ... rock on ... :020:

outrun86
9th December 2013, 09:52 PM
58740 Scramble PB
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/09/y3ugaqa5.jpg

RMacauley
9th December 2013, 09:57 PM
I believe you average 20-25k per round, so Rob is doing at least 6 if not 7 rounds I'd imagine.

Not sure where he loses lives, but sections 3 and 4 drive me friggin nuts.

Usually I lose most lives on section 4 followed by 3 and occasionally 5 on the short up/down bit about halfway through. Rarely on 1,2 or the base. This time I died once on the base because for some reason my joystick flatly refused to go down just when I needed to swoop in and destroy the base. Ran out of fuel 3 seconds later.

Reached the 6th round.

outrun86
9th December 2013, 10:01 PM
That's nice to know Rob. I always go on a suicide mission on the base. Every time I blow up the base I can never pull up in time.

Does blowing the base up give you an extra life?
Even though I crashed straight after blowing up the base I keep the same lives.

On my high score I made it to the 3rd re-run.

OOO
9th December 2013, 10:21 PM
Only just noticed this thread, wish I couldve got some nominations in!
Barra, I am really surprised. The thread was posted on Monday last week and you just notice on Sunday!
Gosh, you know you need to keep up to date on AA and check in regularly! :)
Your arch rival John73 is playing too!

- - - Updated - - -

1942. 214130.
Thanks

No luck with that screenshot?
Brad provided a tip, have you had a chance to try it?

Brett2280
9th December 2013, 10:34 PM
All is cool. Wont work on iphone so i woll upload it to mac tomorrow and try that. My other photos worked ok. Somethings up.

- - - Updated - - -

Woohoo it finally worked

RMacauley
9th December 2013, 11:09 PM
That's nice to know Rob. I always go on a suicide mission on the base. Every time I blow up the base I can never pull up in time.

Does blowing the base up give you an extra life?
Even though I crashed straight after blowing up the base I keep the same lives.

On my high score I made it to the 3rd re-run.

As long as you either shoot or bomb the base first you don't lose a life when you crash. From the third round onwards fuel runs out within 2 or 3 seconds of destroying the base no matter what you do. On the first 2 rounds it is possible to survive. No bonus lives for doing it though.

Brad
10th December 2013, 06:39 AM
Hi OOO,

You missed my scramble score in post 99 ;)

Cheers,
Brad

Fire_Power
10th December 2013, 11:27 AM

Conspiracy :lol

Barra
10th December 2013, 01:58 PM
Barra, I am really surprised. The thread was posted on Monday last week and you just notice on Sunday!
Gosh, you know you need to keep up to date on AA and check in regularly! :)
Your arch rival John73 is playing too!

I am on everyday! Just didnt notice the new thread symbol, for some reason I was looking at MGL19 still :P

Rat
10th December 2013, 04:15 PM
Got home last night all excited because I was close to finishing with my Astro City MAME set up, 10pm I started working on it with a list of tweaks to do, the first setting I changed windows shit itself and wouldn't start, restore or repair :( So I started over, removed the old hdd and put a newer old one in as that may have had bad sectors and reinstalled windows and started on my path to set up. In between then and now I think I have had about 3hrs sleep, but I'm happy to say that i have an awesome picture happening on the cab :D

So I cranked up Scramble for my first proper full game on it, and I would say that is very close to my PB :) WooHoo, the big screen, position and controls and the original look of the graphics makes the game feel better than ever :cool:

The shitty phone pic really doesn't do the screen any justice.

outrun86
10th December 2013, 05:00 PM
Got home last night all excited because I was close to finishing with my Astro City MAME set up, 10pm I started working on it with a list of tweaks to do, the first setting I changed windows shit itself and wouldn't start, restore or repair :( So I started over, removed the old hdd and put a newer old one in as that may have had bad sectors and reinstalled windows and started on my path to set up. In between then and now I think I have had about 3hrs sleep, but I'm happy to say that i have an awesome picture happening on the cab :D

So I cranked up Scramble for my first proper full game on it, and I would say that is very close to my PB :) WooHoo, the big screen, position and controls and the original look of the graphics makes the game feel better than ever :cool:

I think there's an issue with your screen.....there seems to be an extra zero on the scores!! OMG!

DKong
10th December 2013, 05:33 PM

I had the opposite all keen to play all three games and BOTH mame cabs are not working at all, so back to the ArcadeSD for some scramble, 1942 looks to be added (hopefully) in the coming weeks to the ArcadeSD.

OOO
10th December 2013, 07:16 PM
I am on everyday! Just didnt notice the new thread symbol, for some reason I was looking at MGL19 still :P

When you poke your tongue out like that, we notice.
But I do get what you're saying when good memories take you back to previous MGLs ...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi OOO,

Cheers,
Brad

I was laughing at your take with "DoDonMyEyes" and that great score with 7,427,750 that I misread your post.
But on a more serious note, "I can fix it!" - with an update ... :026:

Rat
10th December 2013, 07:37 PM
I had the opposite all keen to play all three games and BOTH mame cabs are not working at all, so back to the ArcadeSD for some scramble, 1942 looks to be added (hopefully) in the coming weeks to the ArcadeSD.

Bugger, troubles with the old PC's or the cabs? I hope you can get it sorted. I unsubscribed from the ArcadeSD thread on KLOV because I decided I won't get one now, but I still see the thread when I use tapatalk at work on my phone, they sure are carrying on now eh? I hope Clay doesn't get fed up with it, I'm hanging out for his MultiVector board to be released, it's been ages coming but he recently said progress is good and beta testing shouldn't be too far off.

DKong
10th December 2013, 08:01 PM
Bugger, troubles with the old PC's or the cabs? I hope you can get it sorted. I unsubscribed from the ArcadeSD thread on KLOV because I decided I won't get one now, but I still see the thread when I use tapatalk at work on my phone, they sure are carrying on now eh? I hope Clay doesn't get fed up with it, I'm hanging out for his MultiVector board to be released, it's been ages coming but he recently said progress is good and beta testing shouldn't be too far off.

Just the PC's I think both the ArcadeVGA cards finally gave up the ghost, the oven bake gave them a few months of life after their last fail but I think thats it. Might go the route you
went with a generic card.

OOO
10th December 2013, 09:41 PM
10.30pm Day 5 ...

Rat takes the lead in Scramble with a neat score, and Brad posts a score in Scramble ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOindSB3_zps65f66032.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOindSB3_zps65f66032.png.html)

... to take overall second place, for now ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLSOSB3_zpsdde86619.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGLSOSB3_zpsdde86619.png.html)

Rat
11th December 2013, 07:24 AM
Just the PC's I think both the ArcadeVGA cards finally gave up the ghost, the oven bake gave them a few months of life after their last fail but I think thats it. Might go the route you
went with a generic card.

That surprises me I wouldn't have thought those cards were that old, they shouldn't fail, the card I got I bought for $20 on eBay but after the amount of set up work I was thinking it might have been easier/better to have bought an ArcadeVGA, I'm still having trouble getting it to boot at the correct res without plugging in my CRT first which is an inconvenience.

Rat
11th December 2013, 04:13 PM
This will improve.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea what I'm doing, just shooting and dodging like mad, will be good when I work out some tactics.

OOO
11th December 2013, 06:00 PM
This will improve.

:023: and into 2nd place overall, just passing Brad and outrun86 ...

outrun86
11th December 2013, 06:06 PM
That's a big score ✈️

Fridgy
11th December 2013, 08:33 PM
A bit busy at the moment but best I put a score on the board.

My score for 1942 so far: 29440

moat
11th December 2013, 08:49 PM
as i expected there are some truly epic scores.. and not just your regular garden variety epic, we're talking giant robot dinosaurs with lasers that shoot out of their eyes epic..

i'm pleasantly surprised by my current position but i think i've got my work cut out for me holding on to it.. one good game of scramble will help..

outrun86
11th December 2013, 08:56 PM
as i expected there are some truly epic scores.. and not just your regular garden variety epic, we're talking giant robot dinosaurs with lasers that shoot out of their eyes epic..

i'm pleasantly surprised by my current position but i think i've got my work cut out for me holding on to it.. one good game of scramble will help..

Couldn't of said it better! I've never previously tracked or competed with these games and it's pushed me to new heights with a PB score, but getting up to scores near the top 3 will take some serious skill and practice.
Plenty of time yet 😉

camaro
12th December 2013, 11:37 AM
Scamble 19080
do don 4227740
1942 291850

OOO
12th December 2013, 06:13 PM
Scamble 19080
do don 4227740
1942 291850

And with your opening scores ... 3rd in 1942, 9th in Scramble, 8th in Do Don Pachi and 6th overall ...

kane
12th December 2013, 06:24 PM
I havn't had much time to play yet, but squeezed in a quick game on my 1942 cab, hoping for seven figures later...

sairuk
12th December 2013, 07:12 PM
Holy hell, i best buy some beer before I get to these properly ... or is that performance enhancing?

BTW: Can we have RMacauley tested? ... i'm sure he's an android

OOO
12th December 2013, 07:23 PM
I havn't had much time to play yet, but squeezed in a quick game on my 1942 cab, hoping for seven figures later...

A huge jump into 2nd on the 1942 table, and with a 7 figure score, who knows?

Brad
12th December 2013, 07:49 PM
Wow I don't know how you guys are doing this in 1942 and scramble. I think my best 1942 score is in the 400k range.

Brad

moat
12th December 2013, 08:13 PM
BTW: Can we have RMacauley tested? ... i'm sure he's an android

RMacauley.. You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

OOO
12th December 2013, 08:47 PM
Wow I don't know how you guys are doing this in 1942 and scramble. I think my best 1942 score is in the 400k range.

Brad

My god Brad, you changed your avatar after 5 years to Sue with a Christmas hat, what next? :laugh:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/customavatars/avatar217_18.gif

- - - Updated - - -

RMacauley.. You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

If I remember correctly moat, you need to be careful with your question, you could end up like Holden (and not the car demise that happens in 2017 either).

Fridgy
12th December 2013, 10:04 PM
My dodonpachi score so far: 2762580. Cool game this one.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/12/9avubyqa.jpg

moat
13th December 2013, 07:42 AM
If I remember correctly moat, you need to be careful with your question, you could end up like Holden (and not the car demise that happens in 2017 either).

to be honest OOO i'm more worried that he might start up mame again than any risk of physical harm.. ::-)

Binkles
13th December 2013, 08:53 AM
Reminds me...

When I die can I be buried in a Holden? I don't like them, just one less of them on the road....

John73
13th December 2013, 09:20 AM
Reminds me...

When I die can I be buried in a Holden? I don't like them, just one less of them on the road....

Posted in the wrong topic I think??? still funny though :)

Rat
13th December 2013, 04:02 PM
This game is a classic and I enjoy it, but it's too easy, my concentration was starting to wander.

Rat
13th December 2013, 04:54 PM
WooooHooooo

OOO
13th December 2013, 05:10 PM
This game is a classic and I enjoy it, but it's too easy, my concentration was starting to wander.

Nice score!

OK then, "too easy", cool.
So maybe break the 500K barrier? :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

WooooHooooo

And into 1st place on Do Don Pachi ...

Rat is firing ... how high can you fly?
You are now 10.05 points behind the leader RMacauley.
Every point really does count in every game for everyone!
Don't believe me? Check out the scoreboard for an update right here at the end of today's play ...

Rat
13th December 2013, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=OOO;790694]Nice score!

OK then, "too easy", cool.
So maybe break the 500K barrier? :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'm sure I could get 500k on Scramble, I have only had three games on it to get that score, I don't want to sound all smart arse about it, but I do find it easier than other games of that era. There are a few play tactics I use to make it easier, is it too early to share them with players who did not play this BITD?

10.05 points behind.....bummer I thought that would put me in front, I might see if I can improve my 1942 score a bit, I won't be beating Rob's score this MGL though and I might not even improve my 400k score after the drinks I have had :)

OOO
13th December 2013, 06:02 PM
... is it too early to share them with players who did not play this BITD?

All good, I am sure many will be interested in your analysis or tips on this game ...

outrun86
13th December 2013, 07:30 PM
8304540 PB DoDonEyesbleeding
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/y2e9yme6.jpg

Nicko71
13th December 2013, 07:59 PM
Havent logged in for a week or three and I find this thread.. Better get to shootin' em up!
Love 1942 & Scramble, never played the other one

OOO
13th December 2013, 08:15 PM
Havent logged in for a week or three and I find this thread.. :018: High on the Pez no doubt!

- - - Updated - - -

Better get to shootin' em up!
YAY! :whitey:

Rat
13th December 2013, 08:22 PM
Scramble, a few tips just off the top of my head........

Stage 1 Just shoot them, you should not be having trouble with this stage, always leave room in your forward/back movement to help you dodge.

Stage 2 The Cave, fly just above the bottom stalagmite level and cruise along without lifting up or down unless necessary. This gives you two chances to hit the UFOs early in the screen so you don't need to dodge them as they pass through your bullet line as they turn direction. Practice bombing the fuels and bonuses.

Stage 3 The meteors, this one is most likely to kill me, stay as low as you can in the gaps between the peaks and shoot all the bonuses, keep in the middle of your forward/back movement. When it's clear rise up and push forward to do a quick move over a peak and back into the gap, occasionally if you time it wrong a meteor will come low just as you rise, don't panic just rise a bit more over it and back down.

Stage 4 Not much to tell here, bomb as many as you can before they get lift off, once again forward/back is important.

Stage 5 Practice quick and precise diagonal joystick movement and this one is easy.

Base - hug the backs of the buildings and go straight down and bomb it when you are almost sitting on it.

I hope someone can gain something from that, no real tricks or hidden secrets just basic tactics.

OOO
13th December 2013, 08:30 PM
8304540 PB DoDonEyesbleeding
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/13/y2e9yme6.jpg

Bleeding ... not bad!
Up into 3rd on Do Don Pachi, not far off the leader, and into 3rd overall, you just passed Brad.

outrun86
13th December 2013, 08:36 PM
Get in!!! Lol

moat
13th December 2013, 09:28 PM
looking forward to a bit of time on the weekend to sit down with scramble for a robust conversation.. see if we can't come to some arrangement.. i'm prepared to overlook the fact that i don't find it very gripping if it will just throw a few extra points my way.. i'm sure it will see reason..

thanks Rat.. i'm sure your tips will give me a firm bargaining position..

RMacauley
13th December 2013, 09:45 PM
Scramble, a few tips just off the top of my head........

Stage 1 Just shoot them, you should not be having trouble with this stage, always leave room in your forward/back movement to help you dodge.

Stage 2 The Cave, fly just above the bottom stalagmite level and cruise along without lifting up or down unless necessary. This gives you two chances to hit the UFOs early in the screen so you don't need to dodge them as they pass through your bullet line as they turn direction. Practice bombing the fuels and bonuses.

Stage 3 The meteors, this one is most likely to kill me, stay as low as you can in the gaps between the peaks and shoot all the bonuses, keep in the middle of your forward/back movement. When it's clear rise up and push forward to do a quick move over a peak and back into the gap, occasionally if you time it wrong a meteor will come low just as you rise, don't panic just rise a bit more over it and back down.

Stage 4 Not much to tell here, bomb as many as you can before they get lift off, once again forward/back is important.

Stage 5 Practice quick and precise diagonal joystick movement and this one is easy.

Base - hug the backs of the buildings and go straight down and bomb it when you are almost sitting on it.

I hope someone can gain something from that, no real tricks or hidden secrets just basic tactics.

For anyone struggling with Scramble Rat's tips are spot on.

This android is getting rusty. Need to get my game on in a hurry. Not tonight though. Too lubricated. :40s::40s::40s:

OOO
13th December 2013, 09:50 PM
10.30pm Day 8 ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/ScrambleBombing4_zps6a0e1beb.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/ScrambleBombing4_zps6a0e1beb.png.html)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLSOindSB4_zpsc08ca600.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/MGLSOindSB4_zpsc08ca600.png.html)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLSOSB4_zpsd4008b0c.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/MGLSOSB4_zpsd4008b0c.png.html)

dylzy
13th December 2013, 10:38 PM
Just curious, how's everyone's carpal tunnel?

Rat
13th December 2013, 10:52 PM
I usually don't have any problems, but DOOODONPATCHY makes me sore after 15mins..........I think I'm doing it wrong though, every time I see a bullet I fire back, I'm just starting to learn that some of the "bullets" you can go through and some you can't, some enemies you hold the fire button for and some you don't, now I just need to learn which ones. Also I have no idea how to maximize my end of round bonus, don't seem to get much for having bombs left?

Brad
14th December 2013, 10:19 AM
DoDonI'mHavingASeizure

outrun86
14th December 2013, 10:48 AM
The 🎾 is back in my court

moat
14th December 2013, 11:09 AM
I usually don't have any problems, but DOOODONPATCHY makes me sore after 15mins..........I think I'm doing it wrong though, every time I see a bullet I fire back, I'm just starting to learn that some of the "bullets" you can go through and some you can't, some enemies you hold the fire button for and some you don't, now I just need to learn which ones. Also I have no idea how to maximize my end of round bonus, don't seem to get much for having bombs left?

damn.. if you're getting those scores on DoDonSeizureTron while you're just working it out we're gunna need to retask some bitcoin miners to work out the tiny fractions of a fraction of a percent the rest of our scores are going to be once you do work it out.. Maybe i can return the scramble tips favor..

Saving the bombs won't net you much unless you pick up one more bomb than you have a slot for.. once its maxed out the next bomb will trigger a constantly increasing score mode..

The hit zone on your ship is right in the middle so the collision detection is fairly forgiving..

Each time you kill a something the combo meter goes up a bit, when you face a larger ship use the beam and while its in contact with the enemy the combo meter won't drain entirely and when you kill it the combo meter should max out giving you a moment to get the next kill to keep the meter going.. The key to the combo scoring is not killing everything immediately, you want to kill the last enemy of a wave at the last possible moment so that you can start hammering the next wave before the meter drains entirely and keep the combo going..

the end of round bonus is based on collecting the stars, but it only counts the stars collected since the last death in that round..

OOO
14th December 2013, 11:24 AM
The "ball" is back in my court

Yes you are correct, Brad passes you into 3rd with his score on Do Don Pachi and the overall scoreboard ...

Rat
14th December 2013, 12:50 PM
Bugger, I got 450k on my first plane and was going well but ran out of time and have to go to work so had to kill off about 8 planes :( looks like I'm finding my groove with this one, more next week :)

Brett2280
14th December 2013, 12:52 PM
My best first plane is 160k then i tend to fall apart from there lol

John73
14th December 2013, 12:57 PM
Scramble 59,530

Got my 3rd place position back :p

outrun86
14th December 2013, 01:17 PM
Scramble 59,530

🎾🎾

Fridgy
14th December 2013, 03:18 PM
You guys are way too good.
My scores on:
Scramble:18400
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/14/za9u6u8e.jpg
:banghead: weak
Dodonpachi : 3559520
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/14/6e5utaty.jpg
1942: 44130
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/14/utasene4.jpg

outrun86
14th December 2013, 03:22 PM
Scramble 59,530

60320 PB and I believe that's 3rd back lol....just
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/14/uvysu7yv.jpg

John73
14th December 2013, 03:47 PM
60320 PB and I believe that's 3rd back lol....just

I'm still trying. I find this game so frustrating. I already worked out all of the tips, but I just can't seem to consistently do it :realmad: I know Brad & DKong can both score over 100k on this one, so a score of probably 120-140k will be needed for any chance at 3rd place I think.

outrun86
14th December 2013, 03:52 PM
Yes, it's a pain John...I can have a good start and complete the first base on one life then lose them all on the fireball and later level. I think if I can get a good run it would be possible to hit 100k...

John73
14th December 2013, 04:34 PM

Back to you outrun :)

outrun86
14th December 2013, 04:36 PM
🚀looks like Scramble has to boot up again!
Well done...did u make it to the 3rd run through?

John73
14th December 2013, 04:55 PM
1942 - 274,740

I'm positive that is a PB, don't think I ever got further than this back in the arcade days.

- - - Updated - - -

��looks like Scramble has to boot up again!
Well done...did u make it to the 3rd run through?

I was on the first run, killed the base twice if that's what you mean. Died on the missile stage of the 3rd go through. Pretty sure I've killed the enemy base three times though, PB is 71k from MGL 13 - Need to read back and and see if I killed it 3 times.

John73
14th December 2013, 05:34 PM
Do Don Pachi 1,926,710

Meh... might move me up a little bit

My calculations have me now on 58.16 - need to improve slightly in any game to overtake MameShane.

Coming 3rd in 1942 & Scramble - but still down in a lowly position because of this stupid Do Don Pachi game :realmad:

Brett2280
14th December 2013, 05:45 PM
Scramble 19770. This game hates me

John73
14th December 2013, 05:53 PM
Do Don Pachi

outrun86
14th December 2013, 05:53 PM
83330 PB ....A big jump for me, back at ya John! Lol
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/14/etu9ejy4.jpg

John73
14th December 2013, 06:20 PM

Right to the end of stage 3, heard the fuel warning go and hit up by mistake and into a wall....

moat
14th December 2013, 06:25 PM
Scramble - 23740

a small improvement, thanks to rat's tips i've got the first few stages pretty well sorted.. tho i have to admit that its only sorted in comparison to my previously dismal performances.. the previous easily avoided fiery deaths have become easily avoided near misses for the most part.. then the building maze bit gets me every time.. all the demands of pixel perfect platforming punishment disguised as something shooty and fun to play.. we've had enough of each others company for the moment but i am going to keep at it till i triumphantly swoop down from the skies and bestow a pixely death upon that base..

camaro
14th December 2013, 08:27 PM
Ok time for some help if anyone offering. My 8 way joystick works fine in 1942 and Do Don, but I can't get diagonal movement in scramble even though klov says it's an 8-way game. Is there a setting in mamae that I need to change to get diagonal movement or this game?

Cheers

John73
14th December 2013, 08:41 PM
Ok time for some help if anyone offering. My 8 way joystick works fine in 1942 and Do Don, but I can't get diagonal movement in scramble even though klov says it's an 8-way game. Is there a setting in mamae that I need to change to get diagonal movement or this game?

Cheers

What version of MAME are you running, and I'm guessing you are using the correct ROM?

I'm using Wolf .150, but even in .106 it worked fine for me 8-way. I do use keyboard, but that should be beside the point.

So what happens if you use diagonal? It just keeps going in the direction it was first going in?

As far as I'm aware, there are no settings at all to muck around with in MAME, it's all built in to the ROMs whether or not the game is 2, 4 or 8 way

DKong
14th December 2013, 09:12 PM
Finally put together a MAME rig by using soft15khz and an old Radeon9250, after the AVGA's finally failed for good.

And had a few good games 1 PB and 1 close :D

outrun86
14th December 2013, 09:22 PM
Some good scores there Dkong

DKong
14th December 2013, 09:25 PM

Cheers, was happy to get the cab up and running, first games on these 3 for a while.

Brett2280
14th December 2013, 11:29 PM
Dodonpachi. 5957320.

John73
15th December 2013, 06:39 AM

Told ya we'd need 120-140k on Scramble for 3rd place :lol

outrun86
15th December 2013, 06:42 AM
Told ya we'd need 120-140k on Scramble for 3rd place :lol

I think I'm gonna need a glove for my firing and bombing fingers! I've already been pushed way beyond my previous best....120k may be to high

OOO
15th December 2013, 08:13 AM
9am Day 10, the scoreboard status after a busy night of gaming.

Game scoreboard ...
outrun86 and John73 have been improving their Scramble scores in a "to and fro" battle in the rankings.
DKong opens with a great salvo of 4th, 3rd and 6th to hit 3rd on the overall scoreboard, passing outrun86 and Brad who are now in 4th and 5th respectively.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLSOindSB5_zps96d2bce3.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/MGLSOindSB5_zps96d2bce3.png.html)

On the overall scoreboard ...
Only 3.81 points separates 1st and 2nd place. (Rat dumps his 1942 game with 8 planes left at 507,560. Playing on for another 60K would have given him 1st place.)
Only 5.42 points separates 3rd to 5th place.
Only 22.66 points separates 6th to 10 place.
From 11th to 17th place, a few big scores would take you up into the top 5 ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLSOSB5_zps6fc8eb8d.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/MGLSOSB5_zps6fc8eb8d.png.html)

Every point counts.
To be continued ...

Brett2280
15th December 2013, 09:27 AM
Dodonpachi 6747481. Getting used to this game now. Just terrible at scramble

Mikie
15th December 2013, 09:32 AM
Dodon 3864840
Scramble 25430

Mameshane
15th December 2013, 09:46 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/yvy6umun.jpg

I do have a slightly better score on scramble but didnt get a photo. I can't seem to figure out how to bomb the base :(

outrun86
15th December 2013, 10:29 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/yvy6umun.jpg

I do have a slightly better score on scramble but didnt get a photo. I can't seem to figure out how to bomb the base :(

Regarding Scramble - you need to hug the back of the 2 talk buildings when heading down to the base by pushing diagonally left/down. Bomb the base and don't worry about getting above the next building, I you crash it's fine, you still complete the level.

RMacauley
15th December 2013, 10:45 AM

Outrun86 beat me to it but here's my method of destroying the base.

Move as far forward as I can after coming out of the stage 5 tunnels.
After I pass the Konami sign I head down then hug the wall and bomb the base from close range. You need to be low otherwise your bombs miss the target.

John73
15th December 2013, 12:43 PM
Scramble 148,570

Several games of around 40k and then this. Beat my PB by about 77k :cool: Third ship was about 100k on it's own, 3rd death at about 147k and then brain farted and lost my last ship. Should have knocked off Rob's score, but I figure he has a lot more in him yet anyway. Just seemed to get into a zone and knocked off about 4-5 stages straight I think.

Not scoring quiet as fast as some of the other guys I don't think, average around 20-21k per stage.

My tip - use the bombs as much as possible on the missile section, I wasn't doing this and after changing to fire and bombing it made it a lot easier.

As for killing the base, I don't even try to bomb it - I just fly over the Konami sign, hold down & left to hug the wall, go forward, then down & left again to hug the wall and then just shoot the base and kamikaze my ship into the wall.

OOO
15th December 2013, 01:00 PM
Scramble 148,570

Beat my PB by about 77k :cool:

That's a really great improvement. Never giving up sure pays off.
From 9th to 6th in the overall scoreboard with one improved score, passing camaro, moat and Brett2280.
Not far off Brad in 5th either ...

:068:

John73
15th December 2013, 01:04 PM
Not far off Brad in 5th either ...

:068:

Just need to pump up my score in Do Don Pachi to catch Brad, which I'm not looking forward to doing :lol

Brad
15th December 2013, 01:23 PM
Just need to pump up my score in Do Don Pachi to catch Brad, which I'm not looking forward to doing :lol

I'm not feeling the love with either scramble or 1942. How long does this comp run for? I'm on holidays at the end of the week and can put some time into then

Brad

Brett2280
15th December 2013, 01:30 PM
I'm not feeling the love with either scramble or 1942. How long does this comp run for? I'm on holidays at the end of the week and can put some time into then

Brad

Until the 5th of january. I hear you on scramble i suck at that game

OOO
15th December 2013, 01:41 PM
Just finished the trophies for the Shmups Off ...

1st
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL%20Trophies/MGLSO_Champion_25mm_zps3670b506.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGL%20Trophies/MGLSO_Champion_25mm_zps3670b506.png.html)

2nd
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL%20Trophies/MGLSO_2nd_25mm_zpsa364489c.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGL%20Trophies/MGLSO_2nd_25mm_zpsa364489c.png.html)

3rd
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL%20Trophies/MGLSO_3rd_25mm_zps2024499c.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/MGL%20Trophies/MGLSO_3rd_25mm_zps2024499c.png.html)

outrun86
15th December 2013, 01:44 PM
Scramble 148,570

Several games of around 40k and then this. Beat my PB by about 77k :cool: Third ship was about 100k on it's own, 3rd death at about 147k and then brain farted and lost my last ship. Should have knocked off Rob's score, but I figure he has a lot more in him yet anyway. Just seemed to get into a zone and knocked off about 4-5 stages straight I think.

Not scoring quiet as fast as some of the other guys I don't think, average around 20-21k per stage.

My tip - use the bombs as much as possible on the missile section, I wasn't doing this and after changing to fire and bombing it made it a lot easier.

As for killing the base, I don't even try to bomb it - I just fly over the Konami sign, hold down & left to hug the wall, go forward, then down & left again to hug the wall and then just shoot the base and kamikaze my ship into the wall.

John silences OutRun86 😵

John73
15th December 2013, 01:47 PM
John silences OutRun86 ��

:lol

Come on, don't be like that. My next best score is still 66k, like I said, just got into the zone. I was actually getting worried for a while, didn't seem like I could possibly die and I kept looking at the laptop battery bar thinking it might run out of me :)

That 355k score of Rat's is massive, be interesting to see if he or Rob try to push this score higher, really takes a lot of concentration this game and only 4 lives to do it.

outrun86
15th December 2013, 01:50 PM
:lol

Come on, don't be like that. My next best score is still 66k, like I said, just got into the zone. I was actually getting worried for a while, didn't seem like I could possibly die and I kept looking at the laptop battery bar thinking it might run out of me :)

I'll be back!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/y9ybubar.jpg
Beaten up but not down yet lol

Brett2280
15th December 2013, 01:55 PM
Dodonpachi 7421491

Brad
15th December 2013, 02:02 PM
Finally some scramble love. I really need to fix this joystick. Left diagonal down only works about 75% of the time which you can imagine makes scramble a little difficult on the last stage LOL!

John73
15th December 2013, 02:08 PM
Do Don Pachi 3,950,950

Brett2280
15th December 2013, 03:13 PM
Finally getting better at scramble 27540

moat
15th December 2013, 03:16 PM
Scramble - 25000..

<kirk>Scraaaaaaaamble!!!</kirk>
Stage 1.. old news.. shoot shoot shoot.. bomb bomb bomb..
Stage 2.. begone ufo's.. i know your weakness now..
Stage 3.. stay low.. hop hop hop..
Stage 4.. stay high.. left right left right..
Stage 5.. Zig.. Zag.. oooh i might.. Zig.. have the hang.. Zag.. of this.. Zig.. Zagrunch.. Damn.!

Stupid scramble.. stupid cheap ebay joysticks.. damn damn damn.. no center return, smooth and reliable as a russian car.. off to the sponsors section..

DKong
15th December 2013, 03:22 PM
Can see a bigger score happening on this one

kane
15th December 2013, 05:09 PM
Dodonpachi 7421491

Naughty, naughty Brett. No continues allowed :018:

camaro
15th December 2013, 05:41 PM
What version of MAME are you running, and I'm guessing you are using the correct ROM?

I'm using Wolf .150, but even in .106 it worked fine for me 8-way. I do use keyboard, but that should be beside the point.

So what happens if you use diagonal? It just keeps going in the direction it was first going in?

As far as I'm aware, there are no settings at all to muck around with in MAME, it's all built in to the ROMs whether or not the game is 2, 4 or 8 way

Not sure about which mame or rom version as it was installed by gameroom. Will check when I get a chance but yeah it just continues in the direction it was going in IE down instead of down/left

John73
15th December 2013, 05:59 PM
Not sure about which mame or rom version as it was installed by gameroom. Will check when I get a chance but yeah it just continues in the direction it was going in IE down instead of down/left

So you're playing on a cab? Almost sounds like the micro switches are sticking, but you said it worked fine in other games? You should have a button assignment that acts like "TAB" to bring up your game settings, you may need to go into that and double check all of the key assignments are set correctly I guess. No other reason for it to be doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Naughty, naughty Brett. No continues allowed :018:

How do you know it was a continue? :confused:

But just in case there is any doubt, we normally do spell this out at the start of all comps for the new guys:

1. No continues allowed, each game must be started fresh.
2. If the game has continues, you may use them for practice, but each submitted score must be a single credit game starting from the very beginning (level 1)
3. No use of the pause key
4. No use of MAME Save States. PERIOD.
5. Obviously any cheats are not allowed, and rules regarding leeching are point out in advance (not applicable for these three games AFAIK)

outrun86
15th December 2013, 07:23 PM
12528740 PB on DoDodgeLotsofBullets
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/abamy3us.jpg

Had a 9 mill before this go, hit a 300 combo on one of the bosses. Choosing between what to fire at each boss (laser or Shot) and where to hit them will help your bonus.

RMacauley
15th December 2013, 07:51 PM
Back to back stupid deaths capped off by a joystick malfunction in the tunnels. Time to invest in a new stick methinks before I throw this sanwa across the room. :realmad:

outrun86
15th December 2013, 07:53 PM
Back to back stupid deaths capped off by a joystick malfunction in the tunnels. Time to invest in a new stick methinks before I throw this sanwa across the room. :realmad:

😵Gulp! - can't wait to see what you can score with both hands Rob!

OOO
15th December 2013, 08:22 PM
12528740 PB on DoDodgeLotsofBullets
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/abamy3us.jpg

Nice score, to the top you go!

camaro
15th December 2013, 08:26 PM
Finally my issue with the diagonal on scramble is fixed...But don't expect any better scores from me

outrun86
15th December 2013, 08:38 PM
Finally my issue with the diagonal on scramble is fixed...But don't expect any better scores from me

That should help pulling back and down for some sections.

outrun86
15th December 2013, 08:40 PM
Nice score, to the top you go!

Cheers OOO....how many hours till Rob, Rat..or someone else takes it tho!

OOO
15th December 2013, 08:53 PM
Dodonpachi 7421491

Can you please double check if this score was a single player game from the beginning?
I'll wait to hear from you before I update the scoreboard.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers OOO....how many hours till Rob, Rat..or someone else takes it tho!

I don't know the answer to that.
But I do know you can win this game!

moat
15th December 2013, 08:57 PM
Time to invest in a new stick methinks before I throw this sanwa across the room. :realmad: bugger.. i've just been looking at the sanwa's to replace the 2 busted Happs (tho i suspect they're knockoffs) i now have.. whats recommended..?

OOO
15th December 2013, 09:06 PM
bugger.. i've just been looking at the sanwa's to replace the 2 busted Happs (tho i suspect they're knockoffs) i now have.. whats recommended..?

I highly recommend Sanwa or Seimitsu sticks. You can pick them up from eBay.
If you want a controller with a Sanwa or Seimitsu stick and buttons, I recommend Qanba, on eBay too.

kane
15th December 2013, 09:28 PM
How do you know it was a continue? :confused:

DoDon adds a 1 as the last digit in the score if you use a continue, try it for yourself and see.

outrun86
15th December 2013, 09:48 PM
DoDon adds a 1 as the last digit in the score if you use a continue, try it for yourself and see.

All games should reset score after a continue. Dropping a 1 in the score is a good idea tho. Let's hope this was a genuine mistake or lack of understanding of the rules.

Brett2280
15th December 2013, 10:23 PM
Hey there. Sorry my mistake didnt realise you couldnt continue. So going back through my photos on my iphone my highest is 5957320

- - - Updated - - -

Post 194 for photo

- - - Updated - - -

Offnow to better my score.

Rat
15th December 2013, 11:50 PM
bugger.. i've just been looking at the sanwa's to replace the 2 busted Happs (tho i suspect they're knockoffs) i now have.. whats recommended..?

I recommend you study this http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

outrun86
16th December 2013, 03:21 AM
I recommend you study this http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html

Interesting article Rat.

Looks like I have Happ Competition bat style sticks or a cheaper version from eBay when I built my own control panel . I don't mind ball or bat style.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/ju6era8a.jpg

Rat
16th December 2013, 06:13 AM
Yeah it's a personal taste thing, but that site gives you an idea of what to expect from other sticks and buttons.

Personally I don't like bats, I call them Cock-Tops.

outrun86
16th December 2013, 06:24 AM
Yeah it's a personal taste thing, but that site gives you an idea of what to expect from other sticks and buttons.

Personally I don't like bats, I call them Cock-Tops.

Cock-Tops or Ball-Tops.......mmmm

moat
16th December 2013, 06:51 AM

thanks Rat.. the ones i got in the cheapo sticks and buttons pack from ebay look like happs on the outside but inside look like no happ i can find and both of them have now had something go wrong with the spring assembly after 6 months leaving them sloppy and crunchy making the diagonals (and randomly any other direction) almost impossible to hit.. the Seimitsus and sanwa JLF's seem to get good wraps but the holes in my armour plated CP are sized for the happs so i'll need to make or find an adapter plate or go for the JLW's..

John73
16th December 2013, 10:58 AM

Time to revise my prediction, I think you'll now want about 200k to get third in Scramble now.

Mikie
16th December 2013, 07:32 PM
scramble 35990

Nicko71
16th December 2013, 09:18 PM
1942 58770 DooDoo 4248450 Srcam 40840

Looking back at Rob's 'bomb the base' scramble instructional pictures, I realised I must be using the wrong rom as I don't have 'Konami' on top of the building at the end there.
I'll make sure I have the correct rom from here on in but just out of interest, is there any difference in the gameplay? (apart from the Konami sign)

RMacauley
16th December 2013, 09:19 PM
I call this one "The score that should not be."

Joystick locked up right at the start then decided to behave itself for most of the game and with the exception of a nasty moment in the tunnels the few malfunctions were not really life threatening.

First death around 50K. Almost rage quit
Second death around 70K. Again almost rage quit.
Third death just over 360K. Glad I didn't rage quit.
Last life was utter crap.

Reached stage 4 on the 15th flag

Rat
16th December 2013, 11:58 PM
Oh dear, you are making me play again, I suggest you leave it at that ;)

I was just going to work on 1942 but now I have to Scramble again, I don't have time.

Mameshane
17th December 2013, 08:20 AM

still haven't been able to take out the base.. :( I seem to bomb and hit it at the same time. must be too much excitement of getting there.

anyway managed to get better score.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/17/yru4yrum.jpg

Foot
17th December 2013, 02:41 PM
Finally found time for a game

Scramble 59970

1942 155420

DodonIcantkeepmycontroleronthedesk 2211440

kane
17th December 2013, 04:19 PM
DoDon first score.

OOO
17th December 2013, 07:59 PM
9pm and it's ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/1942_Boss_Green_Update_zps4c854169.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/1942_Boss_Green_Update_zps4c854169.png.html)

Game scoreboard ...
outrun86 hits a top score on Do Don Pachi and takes the lead and more on the overall scoreboard.
Foot and nicko71 each open with a threesome of scores and hit mid tables.
RMacauley ups the ante on Scramble and retakes the lead on this game title from Rat by 10,270 points ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLSOindSB6_zps2c442ce6.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/MGLSOindSB6_zps2c442ce6.png.html)

Overall scoreboard ...
outrun86 scored 1st place on Do Don Pachi and takes him to overall 3rd, leading the group that continues to fight for this place which includes DKong and Brad.
John73 is not far behind in 6th, just out of the top 5.
kane opens with a score on Do Don Pachi and takes 7th place overall ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLSOSB6_zpscba1fdc5.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/MGLSOSB6_zpscba1fdc5.png.html)

A very competitive MGL this is, with a lot more shots to be fired ...

Mameshane
17th December 2013, 08:18 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/17/aha5ena9.jpg

finally nailed the base :) a couple games later got my second and halfway to the third :)

John73
17th December 2013, 08:27 PM

finally nailed the base :) a couple games later got my second and halfway to the third :)

Got to 2nd base hey? *snigger*

camaro
17th December 2013, 08:42 PM
Got to 2nd base hey? *snigger*

I can't even get to the first base so *snigger* at me