PDA

View Full Version : Flash Repairs

Virgil Tracy
6th May 2007, 05:05 PM
I thought I would docuement my repairs and ask for help in a seperate thread to the Ebay one

Intially problems
Left flipper not working
Ball return not working
Fuse F3 blowing on the power supply
Faulty player one score display

Replace a 7408 on the driver board which now has the ball return working. I found the fuse would blow as there was excessive currentt draw as the coils would stay energised due to the faulty IC.

But now the drop target bank wont reset?

Still have not looked at the left flipper, coil seems okay.

humpalot
6th May 2007, 05:45 PM
Trust me on this one, pull all the drop targets apart, clean and adjust them. They caused me nothing but problems when I was doing my flash.

Virgil Tracy
6th May 2007, 05:47 PM
Trust me on this one, pull all the drop targets apart, clean and adjust them. They caused me nothing but problems when I was doing my flash.

I will do that tomorrow, thanks

Virgil Tracy
7th May 2007, 06:25 PM
Left flipper going now with a new coil from boxerdog and some cleaning of the EOS. All flippers now working the will just need a rebuild at some point.

The drop targets will not reset or energise so I replaced the TIP122 and the smaller transistor on Q17,19 and 21 plugged the board back in and Q17 went bang and the resistors cooked on 17 and 19.

Any ideas?

Arcade King
7th May 2007, 06:43 PM
When I repaired my flash I made myself a JAMMA harness (YES THATS RIGHT) so I could fire up the MPU and Driver board on my bench. Then I used the test rom and followed the guide. Was a piece of piss with the test rom.
http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart5.asp

Virgil Tracy
8th May 2007, 07:39 PM
Its Alive

Well I now have a fully functioning flash after a few issues.

Replaced Q17 and 19 transitors and burnt resistors.

Replaced all the diodes on the three drop target solenoids

Shut my eyes and turned it on, no bang. The three bang drop target solenoid was still constantly energised. On an off chance the 7408 I replaced was kaput I pulled it out and put and new one. Luckly I put a socket in so this IC was easy to change.

Turned it on and checked all the coils and switches, and it all works.

Moved it into the games room set it to five balls and had a few goes. No to work out if I can set it to free play.

Cost to date
Pinball $475
Freight $366
Rubber Kit $15 plus frieght
Coil $15
IC, resitors and transistors with a few spares $15

Total $886 :D

Photos to come soon

Pinball Warehouse
8th May 2007, 08:00 PM
Great news Sean, A good cheap pinball for your collection. Those 7408 on the driver boards seem to be a very common fault with a burnt out coil taking out the transistor and most cases the 7408, sometimes as far as the 6821 processor.
Whats next for the pinball collection. Swords of Fury or a Black Knight 2000

Virgil Tracy
8th May 2007, 08:26 PM
Whats next for the pinball collection. Swords of Fury or a Black Knight 2000

More system 11 or what ever I find that suits my tight arse budget:D to this day I have never spent more than $900 on a pin. It shows with a little paitence you will find them at the right price

Swords of Fury looks interesting.

Pics of the flash are here.
http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=519

My collection is now all Williams
Liberty Bell(EM)
Flash
Fire
Jokerz

kramer
8th May 2007, 08:31 PM
this is why i like the old pinballs.. easy to work on.

TheYellowDart
8th May 2007, 09:22 PM
Nice work on the Flash. Looks like a fun game, I've never seen one in the flesh. Never seen a swords of fury either, but played it in VPMame and it's quite fun in there, it's on my list of machines to eventually own.