PDA

View Full Version : help please - iphone 3 setup from cleared phone

Mr Pubstuff
15th August 2013, 07:00 PM
hey guys,
our old (old) phone died and i got a iphone 3 32gb from gumtree for 80 almost unmarked which i thought was ok cos our carrier wasnt offering anything on our budget plan and he said he had cleared it all and all i gotta do is set it up on itunes. i thought he just meant the apps... but when i turn it on it comes up that i gotta go to itunes for setup doh. he did say it had ios6 or something on it, so that was good apparently.

i havent put my simcard in yet, its just on charge at the moment cos i have other things that need to be done before dinner/then dinner and after dinner with the kids on the new air hockey table and the usual pin battle b4 they want to play some new wii games again until bedtime, so hours no doubt b4 i do anything else tonight,

soooooooooooo,

do i jailbreak it before doing anything or just setup as instructed via itunes like the masses or what would you guys recommend at this point with any positive or negative aspects? i dont want to find out next week (for instance) perhaps that i should have just done something else in the first place to make life easier then and does jailbreaking or not have any impact on just making and receiving calls, taking pics etc etc? ive never had a "smartphone" before and im a phonenoob as you can see...

casperthefriendly
15th August 2013, 07:04 PM
What do you want to use it for?

Jailbreaking is a compromise if all you want to use it for is listening to music you already own and making the odd phone call...

wiredoug
15th August 2013, 07:04 PM
i would just make it work .. and use it to ring people. Its just a phone.

step 1 : make sure itunes is up to date. step2: plug phone in to computer running itunes using iphone cable. step3 - follow the bouncing ball to 'activate' the phone.

no idea about jailbreak .. cant see the point .. I wouldnt do it unless you have a specific goal ( app X that you want to run)

heres some web instruction's you might like http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonehowtos/ss/activate_iphone.htm

Mr Pubstuff
15th August 2013, 08:45 PM
thanks guys. the guys just emailed me to tell me he had the box and the tool to eject the sim card thingy (his words), can i just use the old paperclip method to open it like a cd-rom drive or need to go pick up tool and box first?

ps: my daughter has itunes installed on my pc, she has all sorts but also a jailbroken ipod. should i not use this account and pc?

wiredoug
15th August 2013, 08:59 PM
the tool pokes in the 1-2mm hole. paperclip very likely work .. try it

Mr Pubstuff
15th August 2013, 09:17 PM
paperclips i had here too thick, but a drawing pin worked fine :) all set up and working, despite all i had heard about them being hard to setup, the hardest thing was to remember a password on a new itunes account. i cant see anything on the downside of having a stock iphone right now. sorry for the trouble guys :)

wiredoug
15th August 2013, 09:57 PM
no trouble at all .. enjoy your new toy

Mr Pubstuff
15th August 2013, 10:16 PM
im having a little trouble syncing it, as it seems to want to recognize all the apps on my girls ipod as mine .. not sure yet, but if we have several apple devices here one day (2 now), will itunes recognize my music and sync just mine, or will it try to sync the entire library or someone elses library. itunes seems to recognize my iphone as bazz's iphone, apart from my daughters ipod, which it recognizes as bazz's ipod, but wont load/sync up to my iphone.

should i go have a bex and an early night and just worry about it when less tired/stressed/drunk and it will all make sense?

wiredoug
15th August 2013, 10:54 PM
thats how it works .. you can share apps with her .. you dont have to synch all of them

Mr Pubstuff
15th August 2013, 11:42 PM
Well I'm in bed now using it via wifi hehe

Thanks for helping out

wiredoug
15th August 2013, 11:48 PM
you better have pants on .. im not talking to a bloke with no pants on it aint right

Mr Pubstuff
16th August 2013, 08:38 PM
lucky i was only typing then hehe :bum:

Crafty
17th August 2013, 04:35 AM
I hate I-tunes with multiple devices. We have 3 i-pods (one for each child) and it's always syching and getting stuff mixed up. It is probably the end user, ie me, but I am not that stupid therefore I-tunes just makes it difficult IMO