PDA

View Full Version : PS2 hard drive to play back ups

harrysummer
11th August 2013, 07:08 PM
Hi Guys,
I have both a FAT and slim PS, both chipped, and I want to use one in a shooter cab with Namco guns.

I have read on the interweb that you can put a hard drive into a Network adapter for the PS2 and then play backups.

Has anyone done this?

mxd
11th August 2013, 07:21 PM
yeah, my ps2 has the adaptor

harrysummer
11th August 2013, 07:58 PM
yeah, my ps2 has the adaptor

Did you install a hard drive and install games onto it?

how does it work? Do you have a main menu where you select the games?

sairuk
11th August 2013, 08:36 PM
Originally there was HDloader software which was installed to the PS2 memory card (or HDD/USB) which gives you a menu you can scroll through and select games from.

Nowdays there is a program called OpenPS2Loader which gives you a list and coverart (if you want it) to select games from.

Games were installed through the interface on the ps2 originally, then there was the ability to install from network and PC later on.

For slims there was USBLoader which was quite unreliable, there was also a hardware mod to connect an IDE drive similar too the fat network adapter.

harrysummer
11th August 2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks sairuk, ill google it and try and get my hands on a network adapter for the FAT PS2.

I just want to get some light gun shooter games on the PS2 to put in a shooter cab I want to make.

lordsnipe
11th August 2013, 09:52 PM
Use freemcboot and you can boot openps2loader from a memory card. Easiest way to get a freemcboot card is with a modchipped ps2.

Guy with a Pinball
11th August 2013, 10:32 PM
I've done my Fat PS2 with a network adaptor to fit in internal HDD - this works well. I might have a spare Network adaptor if you can't source one.

harrysummer
12th August 2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info lordsnipe and Guy with a Pinball.

I am trying to find a network adaptor but not many going at the moment. I'll PM you.

cheers

sairuk
12th August 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info lordsnipe and Guy with a Pinball.

I am trying to find a network adaptor but not many going at the moment. I'll PM you.

cheers

They are relatively uncommon, good luck with locating one. Expect to pay ~$70 on ebay unless you are lucky.

lordsnipe
12th August 2013, 07:55 PM
eBay US was the cheapest for me when i got mine including postage.

dreamcaster
12th August 2013, 08:18 PM
You can get network adapters from dealextreme for about $40 that let you use SATA instead of IDE hard drives unlike the official Sony one.
I've heard that they're quite good too. Link here. (http://dx.com/p/2-5-3-5-sata-hdd-network-adapter-for-ps2-30000-50000-54329)

sairuk
12th August 2013, 08:24 PM
You can get network adapters from dealextreme for about $40 that let you use SATA instead of IDE hard drives unlike the official Sony one.
I've heard that they're quite good too. Link here. (http://dx.com/p/2-5-3-5-sata-hdd-network-adapter-for-ps2-30000-50000-54329)

ahhh yeh, I'd forgotten about these; they came out shortly after i'd started packing away the PS2's here.

Did want to try one, oneday though.

ocdcsv
13th August 2013, 01:32 AM
I believe these don't actually have a working network port if you require that.
Think of them as harddisk mounting device for a ps2

Mr Pubstuff
13th August 2013, 04:56 PM
i got 2 out of the states and despite looking like they had network connectors, the actual network connector itself with the pins (the female part in the unit) wasnt there on either and this is well known by many people who pointed it out to me later. i got 2 from china that the guy said were definitely aok that didnt have anything behind the sticker that would cover the network plug.... im not sure if i have any that are true and correct still around, probably a couple i guess somewheres. if you get stuck, yell out and i'll have a look.

harrysummer
13th August 2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the offer and info guys. There's a lot of helpful people here!

I'm hoping to use a PS2 with a hard drive in a shooter cab and only put on light gun games.

I'm also toying with the idea of doing the same for a driving cab.

What does the menu look like she. You turn on the ps2? Is it similar to the Xbox coinops?

Cheers