PDA

View Full Version : Gottlieb BANK A BALL Woodrail project.

v200juke
23rd May 2013, 10:02 PM
Howdy. This is a project I have been wanting to do for ages. My favourite 60s game in my favourite pinball era.(50s)
I finally came across a beat up old bank a ball with a really shot cabinet. I had a Williams 1956 cab doing nothing so the deal was done. I will be finished in a few weeks so will post full pics then. This was NOT as easy as it may seem. I have `woodrailed` the playfield by adding wood ball arch and daisy cap POP bumpers and a 50s ball return cover.Playfield has been totally restored.The cab is painted in original bank a ball green. All wood is refinished. Stupid idea YES. But I love the 50s and love Bank A Ball ,so why not. I also have a beautiful backglass to replace the sad old one in it. Will keep you posted if anyone is interested. Cheers, Mark.

Fish Tales
23rd May 2013, 10:16 PM
looks the goods Mark. Bank-a-ball is one of the best players, a very challenging and fun game.

wiredoug
23rd May 2013, 10:39 PM
Will keep you posted if anyone is interested. Cheers, Mark.

Thats awesome. Dont underestimate the number of people interested in old stuff ;-)

slevbro
23rd May 2013, 11:40 PM
Another great job Mark.
Look forward to seeing and playing this one at Pinfest later in the year.
Worth the price of admission on its own.

Chris

Fire_Power
24th May 2013, 10:47 AM
Great looking game and love seeing these threads. More pics would be great.

illawarra_steelers
24th May 2013, 12:01 PM
Never thought there could be such a thing as taking a classic wedge head and dropping in an epic woodrail cab. :blink:

As always Mark your work is stunning..top shelf.

Like the way you think outside the box.

v200juke
24th May 2013, 01:31 PM
Just a few more till it is finished. What I thought would be just dropping a wedgehead workings into a woodrail body was anything but. 60s backglasses are not the same size as 50s, so headbox needed to be built around backglass. Because the cabinet is not as high the motorboard hit the underside of playfield! The ball push up needed to be routed and lined up.The headbox guts had to be planed down to fit the smaller head. I think the end result will be worth the headaches. I have painted the cab the original pattern to blend 50s and 60s as much as possible.

illawarra_steelers
24th May 2013, 02:07 PM
Check out the 4th and 5th photo...even the mannequin is impressed :laugh:

v200juke
24th May 2013, 04:16 PM
Cabinet DONE

hamo54
24th May 2013, 09:30 PM
Top work again Mark
I bet even the "fortune teller" didn't predict how good this one looks.:)

blue95
24th May 2013, 10:07 PM
Bring that fortune teller to Pinfest and scare the kiddies

v200juke
24th May 2013, 10:22 PM
Bring that fortune teller to Pinfest and scare the kiddies

The fortune teller will be at Pinfest if Chris and Dom want it. Maybe set it up at the door to take the money.

slevbro
25th May 2013, 12:22 AM
The fortune teller will be at Pinfest if Chris and Dom want it. Maybe set it up at the door to take the money.

We'll find a place for it Mark.

v200juke
31st May 2013, 11:19 PM
Just about finished. I don`t know what happened to second pic. Only had 7 or 8 beers when photo taken. I have a beautiful backglass now to replace this one. I think I have achieved what I set out to do, as stupid as it may seem. Anyway I hope you like it and it will be at Pinfest Newcastle this year if ya want to have a game, Mark.

v200juke
6th June 2013, 06:40 PM
A few more pics. Now the fun of going through every switch on a machine pushin` 50.

illawarra_steelers
6th June 2013, 07:46 PM
How f*ckn cool is that! :cool:

Mark, pretty sure have a NOS instruction card for this, will check over the weekend.

clarky351
6th June 2013, 09:26 PM
That's some great work there :-)

v200juke
19th June 2013, 05:57 PM
The old girl is pretty much done. I do not know how you E.M guys have the patience to do these things. I will stick to jukeboxes from now on. All switches have been sorted. I have used some LEDS on playfield for features (not general illumination) as it looked too pimped that way. Only 6 of the 15 balls in backbox were there so the other nine I fabricated and hand painted. Lots of fun doing this, and I have got it out of my system. Play it at PINFEST NEWCASTLE. Cheers, Mark.

illawarra_steelers
19th June 2013, 06:06 PM
That is so beautiful, also like the way you changed the pop bumper caps to suit the era of the cabinet.

Really like your work Mark :023:

Ford Fairlane
19th June 2013, 06:50 PM
love the work you put into this pin! I still cant get past the chicks ugly hands though lol

goodolddays
19th June 2013, 08:22 PM
Excellent job :cool: Looking foward to seeing this game (and playing it) at Pinfest .

Pinball Warehouse
19th June 2013, 11:07 PM
Excellent job :cool: Looking foward to seeing this game (and playing it) at Pinfest .

same here, it will be the first pinball I play at pinfest.

v200juke
14th September 2013, 04:07 PM
Just putting the last of the pics of this machine if anyone is interested. I have not touched machine for ages because of other stuff going on at the moment, but here she is. It has taken on a real patina lately. It really looks like it was made in the 50s. Mark.

Fish Tales
14th September 2013, 04:14 PM
looks great Mark. I reckon bank-a-ball is the best EM without drop targets.