PDA

View Full Version : MGL 18 Call for ideas

John73
1st May 2013, 07:36 AM
Hi Guys.

MGL 18 will be a few weeks off, we'll give everyone (myself included) a bit of a break. But we need some ideas again on how you want this tournament run.

My personal opinion on a few things:

8 games seems to be a nice fit, not too short not too long
Overlapping game format seems to be popular
Might look at starting games on a Friday night, and finishing the following Sunday week, gives three full weekends of play.

It's been suggested that we give the % scoring system another shot, it hasn't be used in a long time - any thoughts?

Now for game selection for MGL 18, there has been a few people showing interest in running a "MGL Favorites" tournament, i.e. play the most popular games from the days of the arcade in the late 70's and 80's. If we are going to go this way, I need ideas on how we'll pick these games - do we want to vote as a group from say a list of 40-50 of the most popular games? If we do it this way, it needs to be a blind vote, i.e. only I will know which games are going to be in the 8.

I'm thinking by the time we sort out how MGL 18 is going to run, do game selection etc. that we'll aim to start it in maybe a months time.

Let me know what you think.

RMacauley
2nd May 2013, 07:48 PM
It's so quiet here I'm expecting to see tumbleweeds rolling past.

The 8 game overlapping format seems to work well. I'd stick with that.

I like the sound of an "MGL Favourites" tournament. There's some games from past MGLs that I would've loved to play even if I sucked at them.

Having said that, just to throw a curveball into the mix, I would be happy to sit out MGL 18 if need be. 4 in a row is probably too much for a comp that is supposed to be for fun and I have noticed some long term players not participating in the last few. Yes this does sound like the ranting of an egomaniac but if me not playing increases numbers then it's a good thing.

Even if it means missing a Favourites tournament. :cry

Mameshane
2nd May 2013, 08:38 PM
It's so quiet here I'm expecting to see tumbleweeds rolling past.

The 8 game overlapping format seems to work well. I'd stick with that.

I like the sound of an "MGL Favourites" tournament. There's some games from past MGLs that I would've loved to play even if I sucked at them.

Having said that, just to throw a curveball into the mix, I would be happy to sit out MGL 18 if need be. 4 in a row is probably too much for a comp that is supposed to be for fun and I have noticed some long term players not participating in the last few. Yes this does sound like the ranting of an egomaniac but if me not playing increases numbers then it's a good thing.

Even if it means missing a Favourites tournament. :cry

I don't think you should sit out. it is all for fun and people shouldn't sit out or not participate because they are more or less skilled. plus if I every win I want to make sure it counts and not just handed to me. :)

I like the sound of the favourites also. I have only played the last couple MGL's so either way doesn't bother me but would be nice to play some of the more well known games. would probably attract a few more people into the comp.

John73
3rd May 2013, 06:47 AM
No need to sit out Rob, if you look through the past winners of MGL there are plenty of people (some winners) who don't play any more, it's just the way things go. Guess people get bored with it, burnt out from too many MGLs or life just get's in the way.

We'll put this off for a few more weeks maybe, I feel myself that I'm getting burnt out both from playing and running it. I think before my time in the MGL that they played two MGLs a year of 12 games each which, I think maybe we are trying to cram too many in now.

Foot
3rd May 2013, 07:49 AM
Favorites sound good. Due to all the other games I've been neglecting my all time favorites like Galaga and Gyruss, so bring it on

I'm happy to go the % score if people want to give it a crack. From the numbers people have thrown up it seems to make little difference in the outcome.

Rob you have to play. This is about having fun and I don't think anybody cares about being smashed most of the time. In fact I think some of my game play has improved just because we have someone on board who really knows the game.

Ps Wardner is not a classic game ( in other words don't make me play it, arghhhhhhhh)

John73
3rd May 2013, 08:51 AM
Ps Wardner is not a classic game ( in other words don't make me play it, arghhhhhhhh)

Bump 'n Jump is a classic though :p

Would love to give Gyruss another shot, love that game and got pipped at the post last time it came up.

So how do we go about selecting the "favorites" - what is up for nomination, what isn't?

Do we get a list of favorites and then have a 2nd round of voting to pick the 8 games that the majority want to play? By favorites, I take this as meaning the most popular games - the ones that were in almost every 80's arcade, the games that made the money - e.g. Pac-Man, Galaga etc. etc.

DKong
3rd May 2013, 06:02 PM
I'm in for a favourites list or even the CLASSICS, Galaga, Gyruss, Pac-Man, Moon Patrol, Black Tiger, Ghosts and Goblins, Galaxian, Raiden etc

John73
3rd May 2013, 08:00 PM
How about we do something like this - everyone names 10 games, games they consider favorites or classics. Anyone can challenge a game someone suggests - if they've never heard of it, or never saw it in an arcade then we'll look at removing it.

You are free to nominate a game that someone else has nominated, it will give more weight to the fact that the game is in fact a favorite/classic - but no more weight in the choosing of the game for the MGL, this will still be random.

The games with the most votes go into the pool of 20 games that can be picked.

Just a quick suggestion without thinking this through, feel free to add suggestions on how this could be better done.

RMacauley
3rd May 2013, 08:27 PM
How about we do something like this - everyone names 10 games, games they consider favorites or classics. Anyone can challenge a game someone suggests - if they've never heard of it, or never saw it in an arcade then we'll look at removing it.

You are free to nominate a game that someone else has nominated, it will give more weight to the fact that the game is in fact a favorite/classic - but no more weight in the choosing of the game for the MGL, this will still be random.

Just a quick suggestion without thinking this through, feel free to add suggestions on how this could be better done.

Sounds good to me. Just one thing though.

NO BLOODY TIME PILOT!!!!!! :lol

John73
3rd May 2013, 08:35 PM
Sounds good to me. Just one thing though.

NO BLOODY TIME PILOT!!!!!! :lol

Okay here is our first exception to the rule - games which allow excessive leeching, even if allowed by TG as in Time Pilot, can be removed :)

Games which require endurance, i.e. Hyper Olympics using a joystick are allowed, because I want to set a 48hr score and make Rob earn his win :p

Foot
3rd May 2013, 10:13 PM
Sounds good, 10 game noms for the win

Nicko71
5th May 2013, 10:31 AM

Sounds good John

Brad
6th May 2013, 11:13 AM
Sounds good to me too.

Brad

Pelly
11th May 2013, 04:35 PM
Not sure if I will even participate in this one as my wife just had twins so time to play games will be ever so precious for a while :p

Anyway, I was thinking just make it simple and vote for the most popular game from the last 8 MGL's. Just setup 8 polls and go from there. This will then make it more of an MGL Classics Comp rather than a favourites comp...

Thoughts?

John73
11th May 2013, 07:43 PM
Not sure if I will even participate in this one as my wife just had twins so time to play games will be ever so precious for a while :p

Anyway, I was thinking just make it simple and vote for the most popular game from the last 8 MGL's. Just setup 8 polls and go from there. This will then make it more of an MGL Classics Comp rather than a favourites comp...

Thoughts?

Yeah that sounds alright. Congrats on the twins - guess you won't be needing that new DK cab now, I'll give it a good home :)

Sorry to all, haven't got around to doing anything further for MGL 18, moving house last weekend and sick as dog all week from over doing it last weekend. Will try and get something organized next week for the game selection process.

OOO
11th May 2013, 08:22 PM

Congratulations on the new additions.
Hope the wife is OK.

More console and classic arcade players ... yay ...

:)

Pelly
12th May 2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys.

John73
12th May 2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys.

Your missus got the timing right - hope you didn't forget to go buy two (more?) Mother's Day presents :lol

chrisbo
14th May 2013, 07:05 PM
Hey guys,

Looks like I'll be able to make my debut into the MGL this time around. I've played in comps at MARP and TG before.

Not really knowing how things are run I'll just go with the flow in regards to comp. rules and game selections.

Barra
14th May 2013, 11:55 PM
Ill be keen to participate :)

John73
15th May 2013, 07:28 AM
Good to hear Chrisbo and Barra.

All the rules will be reiterated at the start of the comp as usual, we're nowhere near as strict as what MARP comps are, just a bit of fun.

Was hoping to get something up this week about game selection for MGL 18 but have been a bit under the weather and getting hammered at work, will have it up this weekend hopefully, probably take a week or two for game selection and then start early next month.

Barra
15th May 2013, 10:31 PM
Someone has to try and give Mr Macauley a run for his money ;)

Rat
16th May 2013, 01:26 AM
I'm only playing Defender, have been ummm forever now, it's a slow learning curve here, so if Defender is picked I'm in :)

ED_209
20th May 2013, 02:00 PM
Classics sounds like a good way to go. I'd prefer not doing a best of MGL though. There are some classics that haven't popped up before right?

Don't really like the % scoring system. Seems overly complicated and the current system has always worked well. Don't care too much though - seeing as how it doesn't really effect the ranking too much.

Rob, you better be playing! I only haven't beaten you yet cos I haven't really been trying :lol You're going down in this comp! :p

Brad
20th May 2013, 03:17 PM
I like your confidence Ed :D

John73
20th May 2013, 06:20 PM
I'm still undecided on how I (and everyone for that matter) think we should go about the game selection.

The idea of having 8 polls (for the last 8 MGL's) is doable, the only trouble with that is that is there have been one or two MGL's where I didn't care for any of the 8 games and I'd assume others would feel the same, so it would be like voting for the best of a bad lot.

What say I just list all games from 8 MGL's (we'll drop the last two or three MGL's as I doubt anyone wants to replay something that we've just played - say MGL's 8 to 14) and we just all vote. Everyone get's 8 votes, you can spread your votes over as many games as you like - so if you really really really want a game to be included you can vote for it 8 times. The other approach is that we just list every game ever played (see the MGL high score's for the list) and let people vote on that? Hopefully either way we'll get 8 clear games.

Thoughts?

I've really enjoyed running the last couple of MGL's and special comps, but I feel like I'm getting a little burnt out on it. I still intend to play, but if anyone would like to help out for future MGL's feel free to stick your hand up. I along with the other long time players will still be around to lend a hand and can even update scoreboards etc, just feel like I need a couple of MGL's off to just play :) If no one comes forward, I'll stick at the job until someone can be found. Of course I'll have to clear it with Admin to see if it's okay to appoint an extra person as a Mame Mod.

Mameshane
20th May 2013, 06:45 PM
I'm still undecided on how I (and everyone for that matter) think we should go about the game selection.

The idea of having 8 polls (for the last 8 MGL's) is doable, the only trouble with that is that is there have been one or two MGL's where I didn't care for any of the 8 games and I'd assume others would feel the same, so it would be like voting for the best of a bad lot.

What say I just list all games from 8 MGL's (we'll drop the last two or three MGL's as I doubt anyone wants to replay something that we've just played - say MGL's 8 to 14) and we just all vote. Everyone get's 8 votes, you can spread your votes over as many games as you like - so if you really really really want a game to be included you can vote for it 8 times. The other approach is that we just list every game ever played (see the MGL high score's for the list) and let people vote on that? Hopefully either way we'll get 8 clear games.

Thoughts?

I've really enjoyed running the last couple of MGL's and special comps, but I feel like I'm getting a little burnt out on it. I still intend to play, but if anyone would like to help out for future MGL's feel free to stick your hand up. I along with the other long time players will still be around to lend a hand and can even update scoreboards etc, just feel like I need a couple of MGL's off to just play :) If no one comes forward, I'll stick at the job until someone can be found. Of course I'll have to clear it with Admin to see if it's okay to appoint an extra person as a Mame Mod.

I don't know if I was looking in the wrong place but there seems to be some games not in the MGL high scores list.
amidar and galaxian for example. that when I looked through the MGL's 8-14 I noticed were played.

I like those ideas though. :)

John73
20th May 2013, 06:51 PM
I don't know if I was looking in the wrong place but there seems to be some games not in the MGL high scores list.
amidar and galaxian for example. that when I looked through the MGL's 8-14 I noticed were played.

I like those ideas though. :)

It's possible that whoever was running that particular MGL simply forgot to add them to the high score list, I know I forget to do it... probably haven't even updated it since the last MGL :redface

EDIT: Just going through all of the scores from MGL's 8 on to check for scores that were missed, done up to MGL X so far, should have the rest done tonight. Let me know if you see any that I've missed.

OOO
20th May 2013, 07:30 PM
Thoughts?

Well if this is the BEST OF, using the poll from AA, 3 of these by far would be ... Galaga, Gyruss and Ghosts n Goblins.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGL18_BestOf_zps84d29124.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/Arcade/MGL18_BestOf_zps84d29124.png.html)

Another way to go, is I won't play in MGLXVIII , but OOO will pick the 8 games. :laugh:

And I will only pick from games that are in the KLOV Top 100 and that are truly great games ... :jump:
Well, totally unbiased and only the very best games, what do you think?

Another way to go ...

Like you say, 8 from each person.
Duplicates of games OK from the 20 or so who post games they want to play.
The game is then determined by the most popular voted game.
Ties are done by toss of a coin.
Problem could be that the spread is so great, many of the games selected have only one or two votes anyway.
Take the OOO way then ...

:)

chrisbo
20th May 2013, 08:27 PM
As a possible alternate way of picking games how about we choose a 'golden year' (eg: 1985) and then games are selected from that year?

Rat
21st May 2013, 12:26 AM
I think you should set up a poll to decide if we should have a vote or not. ;-)

The more questions asked the more options to choose and sort through. You seem determined to make it harder for yourself by trying to please everyone. No wonder you feel burned out.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

John73
22nd May 2013, 03:19 PM
I think you should set up a poll to decide if we should have a vote or not. ;-)

The more questions asked the more options to choose and sort through. You seem determined to make it harder for yourself by trying to please everyone. No wonder you feel burned out.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

I know what you're saying..... I'll just make a choice based on what everyone has suggested and we'll go with it. If MGL 18 fizzes out then I'll know I've made the wrong decision :lol

Will get something up this week regarding game selection, give it a week or so and probably aim to kick off MGL 18 on Fri Jun 7th @ 7pm.

Mameshane
22nd May 2013, 03:54 PM
I know what you're saying..... I'll just make a choice based on what everyone has suggested and we'll go with it. If MGL 18 fizzes out then I'll know I've made the wrong decision :lol

Will get something up this week regarding game selection, give and probably aim to kick off MGL 18 on Fri Jun 7th @ 7pm.

I'm sure what ever you decide will be fine. I'm just going to be happy to be playing some games again. :) I don't have as much motivation to consistently play them as I do when the MGL is on.