PDA

View Full Version : MGL 16: Call for Ideas

John73
19th September 2012, 06:52 AM
It's getting close to time to kick off yet another MGL. As with previous MGL's, we need your input and/or ideas on how to run this.

At this stage, the starting date will be either Oct 14 or Oct 21 - which if we stick to the 8 game staggered format the same as MGL 15 means we will finish on either Dec 16 or Dec 23. Either is fine with me, but others may be a little busy in the week Dec 16-23 preparing for Xmas. Any preferred starting date? Maybe we should try 6 games given that Xmas is coming up - it's up to you guys, I'm easy either way.

MGL Banner - We need a new banner. Anyone with an ounce of graphic skill will do something better than me, so feel free to post some in here and we can all vote on the best one to use.

Any other changes you'd like to see or have considered, please just post them no matter if you think they've been covered in the past.

We'll keep this thread open for around 10-14 days and then call for nominations.

RMacauley
19th September 2012, 08:24 AM
BAN ROB FROM MGL16. :lol

Just getting in first. ;)

Personally I'd lean towards starting on Oct 14 purely due to the Xmas factor but I'll be fine with whatever the majority decide.

8 games. 6 games. Make Rob play wearing a strait jacket. I'm OK with whatever (well perhaps not the third option). :lol

DKong
19th September 2012, 08:33 AM
BAN ROB FROM MGL16. :lol

Just getting in first. ;)

Personally I'd lean towards starting on Oct 14 purely due to the Xmas factor but I'll be fine with whatever the majority decide.

8 games. 6 games. Make Rob play wearing a strait jacket. I'm OK with whatever (well perhaps not the third option). :lol

Damn beat me to it, that is banning handicapping you :lol

Looking forward to playing some NEW games hopefully the old ones don't keep resurfacing :)

Jed
19th September 2012, 09:02 AM
Another league I have played in only allows 1 nomination per/ player of a game that has been played before, the rest of their nominations must be new. This way you end up with a lot of fresh nominations every comp. Not a bad idea.

As for Rob... Well its like inviting Sunil Gavaskar to play in your Sunday social cricket comp... You know what's going to happen, but its good to have him there anyway :D

Rat
19th September 2012, 10:28 AM
No time to add anything yet, going bush now, but subscribed to thread to remind me to respond later, oh yeah and break his knees I think, show no mercy :) I still want him to be able to play well, but we should hurt him ;)

RMacauley
19th September 2012, 12:30 PM
but we should hurt him ;)

I did get hurt last time. My right shoulder paid the price for weeks thanks to "Joystickgate."

Fire_Power
19th September 2012, 12:50 PM
I favour restricting it to games that have never appeared in any previous addition of MGL before.

With RM maybe make it that unless he wins every game we disqualify his scores! That should put a bit of pressure on him or totally humiliate the rest of us as he spanks our backsides eight times in a row :lol

Jed
19th September 2012, 02:29 PM
I favour restricting it to games that have never appeared in any previous addition of MGL before.

I am strongly in favour of this... and the more obsure the game, the better.

MGL16: The Untouchables

:)

kane
19th September 2012, 04:13 PM

That sounds OK to me too, maybe should be no nominating games that have been played in MGLs 8 - 15 (the MGLs we still have the details for).

John73
19th September 2012, 06:10 PM
That sounds OK to me too, maybe should be no nominating games that have been played in MGLs 8 - 15 (the MGLs we still have the details for).

I'm happy enough to go along with this as a trial for this MGL. Maybe 5 nominations isn't necessary, maybe drop it back to 3 - if we are going to ignore 60 odd games we will see some new stuff, but we don't want to scrape the bottom of the barrel and get some truly awful games nominated ;)

Are we all happy with the Default DIPs or do we want to go back to TG Settings? From memory, the ideas thread last time came back with about a 52% to 48% majority in favour of Default DIPs.

I do tend to agree with Rob, I think the 14th is a better start time if we are gonna stick with 8 games, it's just pushing it too close finishing on the 23rd - I believe 23rd will be midnight shopping which is my normal panic day to get all my shopping done :lol

Foot
19th September 2012, 06:50 PM
If you check the mame high score thread you may get an idea of the games that were played in mgl 1-8. I don't think this thread had been kept up to date either(nudge nudge)

John73
19th September 2012, 06:56 PM
If you check the mame high score thread you may get an idea of the games that were played in mgl 1-8. I don't think this thread had been kept up to date either(nudge nudge)

That's an easy way of checking what has been played - we can exclude all games easily if everyone is happy with that.

I updated the scores in this thread after the last MGL, not sure if I updated the scores from MGL 14 as I wasn't running it then and had no mod editing rights. I'll look into it on the weekend if I have 2 secs to spare.

Fire_Power
19th September 2012, 06:58 PM
I'm happy enough to go along with this as a trial for this MGL. Maybe 5 nominations isn't necessary, maybe drop it back to 3 - if we are going to ignore 60 odd games we will see some new stuff, but we don't want to scrape the bottom of the barrel and get some truly awful games nominated ;)

Are we all happy with the Default DIPs or do we want to go back to TG Settings? From memory, the ideas thread last time came back with about a 52% to 48% majority in favour of Default DIPs.

I do tend to agree with Rob, I think the 14th is a better start time if we are gonna stick with 8 games, it's just pushing it too close finishing on the 23rd - I believe 23rd will be midnight shopping which is my normal panic day to get all my shopping done :lol

John, I think your being a bit limited in your view of how many really good, yet lessor known, games there are in Mame - I could come up with heaps that haven't been played yet. (Keep in mind I nominated and still quite like Radar Scope :lol) I find it hard to limit it to five nominated games in the past.

I favour default dips - closer to the arcade experience.

Finally apologies for my poor spelling and gramma in post 7. Thank deity Homepin doesn't read this section!

Jed
19th September 2012, 07:03 PM

I'd suggest starting even earlier, December is a crazy time of year for most peeps.

I vote to keep it at Mame defaults, lets keep MGL fun and not tiresome at brutal settings. There's no 'TG' in MGL :lol:

As for the games, they don't have to be 'bottom of the barrel' they still should be chosen according to the original MGL rules - ie the most important thing is they should be FUN to play, and be suitable for the format, ie score based.

I'm going to start scouring my 6000 rom install :)

John73
19th September 2012, 07:19 PM
I'd suggest starting even earlier, December is a crazy time of year for most peeps.

I'm happy to start earlier, but we are fast running out of time. Oct 14 is only just over 3 weeks away, and we need at least 1 week for nominations.

Everyone let me know, if we want to kick off on Oct 7th then we'll need a nominations thread up mid next week.

RMacauley
19th September 2012, 07:40 PM
I'm happy to start earlier, but we are fast running out of time. Oct 14 is only just over 3 weeks away, and we need at least 1 week for nominations.

Everyone let me know, if we want to kick off on Oct 7th then we'll need a nominations thread up mid next week.

I'm happy to start whenever. Just give me a few days notice to either buy a strait jacket to wear while playing or put the emergency room at my nearest hospital (10 minutes away) on standby in case of any broken hands, fingers or knees. :lol

OOO
19th September 2012, 10:20 PM
MGL Banner - We need a new banner. Anyone with an ounce of graphic skill will do something better than me, so feel free to post some in here and we can all vote on the best one to use.

Here's my submission for the banner........with an ultra uber classic in Scramble, one of where it all began big time.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGL16_7_zps1a42fd77.jpg

Rat
20th September 2012, 12:26 AM
Dru.k on hols phone, never one non yep go. :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

troyus
20th September 2012, 01:02 AM
You could have the most favorite game from each round since s8 and call it 'The all stars'

John73
20th September 2012, 05:13 AM
You could have the most favorite game from each round since s8 and call it 'The all stars'

Might be a bit late at this stage to do for this MGL, but I like this idea. We could run a poll with each game from the last 8 MGL's - the most popular game from each MGL then goes into the All Stars MGL.

Jed
20th September 2012, 09:22 AM
Here's my submission for the banner........with an ultra uber classic in Scramble, one of where it all began big time.

Darth Vader ?

Dru.k on hols phone, never one non yep go. :)

haha... you sound like bill and ben, flowerpot men.

Brad
20th September 2012, 12:02 PM
Added the banner and many thanks =)

Jed
20th September 2012, 01:35 PM
Might be a bit late at this stage to do for this MGL, but I like this idea. We could run a poll with each game from the last 8 MGL's - the most popular game from each MGL then goes into the All Stars MGL.

I'd prefer to see fresh content than reruns...

DKong
20th September 2012, 05:38 PM

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGL16_7_zps1a42fd77.jpg

Like the 3D scramble, want to play that now :)

OOO
20th September 2012, 09:14 PM
Darth Vader ?

Someone may nominate arcade games Star Wars (vector graphics) or Empire Strikes Back (vector as well) or Return of the Jedi (not vector).

Darth Vader is on the sides of this cab:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/FlyerStarWars1_zpsfb61fc04.jpg

... and this cab ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/FlyerEmpireStrikesBack1_zps23e05c66.jpg

... and this cab ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/FlyerReturnJedi1_zps2affbb21.jpg

So I figured Darth Vader qualified to be on the banner for MGLXVI.
(BTW these are great arcade games and they look terrific.)

If they do get nominated, have fun trying to simulate the pitch and roll controls using a keyboard and or joystick.:)

Jed
21st September 2012, 10:21 AM
If they do get nominated, have fun trying to simulate the pitch and roll controls using a keyboard and or joystick.:)

These would be not be accepted in nominations because of their control format, same reason Robotron, Battlezone, or any spinner games have been kicked from nominations in the past.

Is there going to be a theme for this MGL ? IE see previous banners 'The Dirty Dozen' and 'Double Trouble' - the double format is something we have continued with since it's inception and I think that is a good format.

Why not kick off a nominations thread asap, and start in Early October? Then we can get it done before the silly season kicks in. Speaking as someone with a partner and kids to keep happy, I would be happy to see it done and dusted by the first week of December :)

Cheers

ED_209
21st September 2012, 10:54 AM
I like the rule that has always been in place about no noms for games that were in the previous MGL but I'm not keen on ruling out all games ever played before. I haven't been playing since MGL 1 and I'd still like to see a game like Pac Man have a chance of coming up. Even if it has been played before.

There always seems to be enough variety anyway. Some obscure ones get chosen each time which is good but we shouldn't force ourselves into playing only games nobody's ever heard of. A lot of games never took off because they suck and I don't want to rule out all the awesome classics just because they came up a few years ago.

Rat
21st September 2012, 01:12 PM
I see your point ED_209 and agree, but I would like to see the never played before rule for just this MGL, and one NOM each only for this MGL, then back to normal. Now that MGLs are shorter and more often I think this would be fine, you could still nom pacman next time. With one nom each hopefully everyone will know at least one game that has never been played in an MGL that doesn't suck :)

John73
21st September 2012, 01:49 PM
Why not kick off a nominations thread asap, and start in Early October? Then we can get it done before the silly season kicks in. Speaking as someone with a partner and kids to keep happy, I would be happy to see it done and dusted by the first week of December :)

We need consensus on what is going to be allowed to be nominated, so we'll give it until Sunday and then I'll start the nominations thread if everyone is happy.

At this stage I think we have: Only games that have never been played before as a one off trial - let me know if you want this yes or no so that we can start the nominations on Sunday evening. Speak up before Sunday everyone or you'll forfeit your right to have a say about this.

Also, let me know about the following:

Start Date:
We can either kick off on Sunday 30th - Finish Dec 2nd - but this only leaves 1 week for nominations
Start Sunday 7th - Finish Dec 9th
Start Sunday 14th - Finish Dec 16th
Start Sunday 21st - Finish Dec 23rd

No. of Nominations:
We still good with 5 each max?

DIP Settings:
No mention of this, so will I assume we are all happy with default DIPs again?

Rat
21st September 2012, 02:25 PM
I vote for Sun 14th to 16th...but it doesn't really matter I always run out of time.

If we go for never played before just for a one off then I think we should have only one nom each, if people try to nom 5 games that have never been played in MGL we are sure to get some real crap.

Dips = default.

ED_209
21st September 2012, 02:51 PM
My preferences:

Noms: anything but games from MGL 15

Start date: 7th Oct (I wanna start playing!)

No of noms: I'm fine with 3 but don't mind 5 if people want a wider pool

DIP settings: Definitely TG! They're usually the same and I love it when the WRs fall in the comp.

Mikie
21st September 2012, 03:21 PM
Bit early but before I forget, vote for:

kid niki radical ninja
zero wing
Exzisus

:) Mikie

Taverner
21st September 2012, 04:07 PM
I should be back for this one, like the idea of no games from 8-15 (dont think we need to go back further than that) and 3 noms each.

Jed
21st September 2012, 04:36 PM
My preferences:

-Start earlier the better
-default dips
-3 nominations
-rob gets kneecapped, fingernailed, and keelhauled
-No nominations accepted from any previous MGL (or compromises 8-15) for this MGL only IE, this comp would be a one-off (why not?)

I am happy to help compiling lists of what has been played... but as Foot already pointed out, the MGL high score list already contains most games.

I'm on 5 weeks holidays from October 2nd, so timing is sweeeeeet :D

Foot
21st September 2012, 04:38 PM
Just nominate Puckman :)

Kick off whenever, doesn't bother me.

MAME defaults this time

Run a short 3 week comp at at Christmas for the die hards with TG dips

I see your point ED_209 and agree, but I would like to see the never played before rule for just this MGL, and one NOM each only for this MGL, then back to normal. Now that MGLs are shorter and more often I think this would be fine, you could still nom pacman next time. With one nom each hopefully everyone will know at least one game that has never been played in an MGL that doesn't suck :)

John73
22nd September 2012, 07:16 PM
Everyone is silent on the matter for the last 24 hours :D

Okay, so what we have:

1. 3 nominations per player, nominations will be open tomorrow and close on Fri Oct 5
2. Mame defaults
3. No game played during MGL 8 thru 15 are eligible for nominations - This is one off for this MGL
4. We'll start on Sun Oct 7
5. Same 2 game staggered format
6. Has Daylight Saving started yet? If not, it will during the comp. All games will start and end at 7pm Brisbane time
7. Comments about Qld'ers being in the dark ages not having DLS will get you a 5 pt deduction for each infringement :P I want DLS here, but we'll save that discussion for another thread

Fire_Power
22nd September 2012, 07:37 PM
Sounds good. I reckon a "Best of the Best" is a good idea for a future single MGL round too.

To those who are saying we might get cr@p games I reckon you are being too limited. Mame has say 6000 games, about half are mahjong and say another 1000 or so that don't meet MGL controls / scoring / style eligibility guidelines. Still leaves a heap of contenders, a lot that are good. I have about 200 in my list of "good" players and this is on a single joystick, two button cab. Most of these I've never seen in an arcade. To me, this is a benefit of MGL to introduce new, lessor know games - we all know about and played DK, Pacman, SI etc back in the day.