PDA

View Full Version : Flash is going to get a makeover

raysco
7th June 2012, 11:16 AM
I bought my Flash from Virgil Tracy a couple of years ago, it has been a great machine and apart from one or two minor issues a trouble free machine that gets played to death by any visitors (and myself).
The cab is however a bit shabby, and has been gouged and dinged over the years so I am going to give it a tidy up and respray.
39353 39354
39355 39357

So how long does it take to gut a Flash, well.....2 hours later

This is my task for the next few weeks, I am working shiftwork so will get plenty of daylight hours to work on it.

Will post as I go on.

prowler
7th June 2012, 01:38 PM
This will be fun to watch. (meant in a nice way)

Rich
7th June 2012, 01:43 PM
Top machine, cab doesn't look too bad considering its age.
Its taken many years to give it the look it has which gives it character and appeal, it's original.
A new paint job and it's all gone.

raysco
7th June 2012, 03:32 PM
Top machine, cab doesn't look too bad considering its age.
Its taken many years to give it the look it has which gives it character and appeal, it's original.
A new paint job and it's all gone.

The playfield is good, it has a repro backglass and no errors. I dont expect this to improve its value at all, just make it feel better (and me).
It may have taken many years to get shabby but its also taken some moron with a stanley knife carving their initials and some bashing about.
Lets see how it looks when finished :)
(Also I bought a stencil set many moons ago and need to use it) :p

Fire_Power
7th June 2012, 09:15 PM
I thought a bit along the same lines as Rich after looking at the "as is" pictures.
I have cabs with similar, relatively minor, battle scars and have wondered if touching up rather than a full paint would be a good idea?

Anyway be good to see the full job - thanks for posting Raysco.

Rich
8th June 2012, 05:38 PM
I meant no harm by my comment but yr reply speaks CHARACTER!!!
Yes it got taken to with a stanley knife but that gives it appeal, once you repaint it you remove its history, i am not against making your pin look tops.
I have repainted many pins for people coz thats what they want, no prob, I am now looking at my own Old Chicago cab thinking how nice it would look all new, but it isn't new, it is oldish, and its cab speaks to me," I have history."
Just coz a machine looks old duznt mean u cant iron out the wrinkles, tip top the playfield and have a nice backglass.
It all comes down to what u enjoy doing ;) yr machine, yr call

raysco
8th June 2012, 08:25 PM
Yes it got taken to with a stanley knife but that gives it appeal, once you repaint it you remove its history, i am not against making your pin look tops.
I have repainted many pins for people coz thats what they want, no prob, I am now looking at my own Old Chicago cab thinking how nice it would look all new, but it isn't new, it is oldish, and its cab speaks to me," I have history."
Just coz a machine looks old duznt mean u cant iron out the wrinkles, tip top the playfield and have a nice backglass.

It is interesting to discuss the reasons for doing this type of restore, and I absolutely agree with you about character and history. But also wouldn't it be nice to bring something that has had many years of bashing around back to its glory days. I can tell you that I very much appreciate these old girls. I dont know if the attached picture shows the yellowing of the main cab compared to the back box and the 40 attempts at touch ups over the years, I just want to dress her up nicely.....:)

I spent 4 hours today just cleaning and sanding the inside. And as per a Prowler tip making measurements of where all the artwork goes so it is replicated exactly. This will be no Prowler job, but it will give all due respect to the machine as she is supposed to be.

raysco
12th June 2012, 02:09 PM
I have spent all this long weekend filling and sanding, and putting a couple of coats of black paint on. I took a few photos but the flash on the camera shows up every minor detail on a black base coat.
There was a bit of swelling on the rear of the backbox but I have sanded it back and it looks ok. Also because it is a plywood body I would have to do a complete filler coat just to get rid of the grain, which is not really what I want to do.
The photo doesn't really do it justice so far. The main body is actually looking very nice, and will be getting a bit more work over the next few days. The sides and top of the back box had some huge chunks out of the wood as well as the right front part of the cab. All these have now been filled and you cant see the join, so I am pretty pleased with that.

raysco
16th June 2012, 01:38 PM
A lot more work done over the last week, I have put the stencils on the back box and sprayed the white,

(The black mark is for the lock), left that dry for a few days and now have removed the stencil from the backbox so this is the result of white only on the backbox.

I couldn't get the stencils off without ruining them but there is very little, if any bleed into the surrounding paint so I wont need to redo this anyway.

I wanted to check out how the back box came up before spraying the main body, so I will do that this week, stencil already on one side, but had to do a tiny touch up on the other so will stencil it tomorrow and post a pic later. :)

The small mark at the top of the white circle is where a retaining bolt will go.

illawarra_steelers
16th June 2012, 04:13 PM
Looking good...keep the updates coming. Anybody that has resprayed a cab knows what a massive undertaking it is.

Will be well worth it in the end :)

patric67
16th June 2012, 11:41 PM

I agree with this point. I think erasing the past can be problematic. I have resprayed three of my machines but on the forth I have decided to keep the graffiti. Who was Mary? Why did Ju up and leave without finishing? One friend suggested it might have read Julie 4 me, but up and left before he got busted. It's intriguing.

That said you have done a fine job on your Flash.39648

raysco
17th June 2012, 12:02 AM
I agree with this point. I think erasing the past can be problematic. I have resprayed three of my machines but on the forth I have decided to keep the graffiti. Who was Mary? Why did Ju up and leave without finishing? One friend suggested it might have read Julie 4 me, but up and left before he got busted. It's intriguing.

That said you have done a fine job on your Flash.39648
I can see the appeal to keeping those 'etchings' , now thats history. A gouge or scrapes from mishandling or uncaring and a wanker carving initials doesn't do it. I agree with you I would be looking at it and thinking who was 'Mary', who was 'JU'.....cool :)

Fish Tales
17th June 2012, 08:03 AM
I have expressions of love on Volley as well, it would be sad if I re-sprayed the cab and lost them. Your Flash is going to look awesome :cool:

raysco
17th June 2012, 05:51 PM
I have let the cab dry for a few days and have just applied the stencils, (with help from the wife) so the cab is ready for its white coat.

I should get this finished over the next few days, I like to leave a full day between coats. I will probably put the red stencils on the back box by about Thursday having given it plenty of time to dry the previous coats.

Replay
17th June 2012, 07:14 PM
coming along nicely, I would love to do something like this

Railways
17th June 2012, 09:47 PM
Well done Ray on taking this on:). Yep some people may say leave it but I for one say bring on the the tidyup/rebuild/resto. Doing a similar thing with the Harlem and have enjoyed the eventual results with the Cab.
Where did you get the stencils from?. You're off to a great start from what I can see, I'll stay tuned.
P.s, what are using to paint it with and having saying that I'd leave it a week between coats/restencilling etc so the paint can cure.

raysco
20th June 2012, 06:10 PM
Well done Ray on taking this on:). Yep some people may say leave it but I for one say bring on the the tidyup/rebuild/resto. Doing a similar thing with the Harlem and have enjoyed the eventual results with the Cab.
Where did you get the stencils from?. You're off to a great start from what I can see, I'll stay tuned.
P.s, what are using to paint it with and having saying that I'd leave it a week between coats/restencilling etc so the paint can cure.

The stencils came from http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLASH-Pinball-Machine-Stencil-Kit-LICENSED-/230554111071
(Quite a while ago but I think the same price)

After requesting some tips from Prowler I have used satin enamel for the base coats and then Gloss enamel for the top coats, Both the black and the white on the back box has come up very well, I have just put the stencils on the back box for the red and will probably have the white on the cabinet finished by the weekend.
This stencil material is very good, it peels off quite easily and leaves a very clean line on the painted surface. I think 2 weeks between colours is maybe a bit too long by my minimum experience so far. (Apart from that I am an impatient cuss, but so far so good) :D

Railways
21st June 2012, 11:35 PM
For the enamel, are you using aerosol cans, paintgun-compressor, airbrush -compressor?
Is it water - based enamel ?(The reason I ask as it is available)most people think enamel is mineral based/cleanup from house painting days. please correct me if I'm wrong but you can buy water based enamel these days.

raysco
22nd June 2012, 08:59 AM
For the enamel, are you using aerosol cans, paintgun-compressor, airbrush -compressor?
Is it water - based enamel ?(The reason I ask as it is available)most people think enamel is mineral based/cleanup from house painting days. please correct me if I'm wrong but you can buy water based enamel these days.

The recommend was to use water based paints, and if I had a proper spray paint setup with a compressor then thats what I would have used. As its not a huge area I have been using aerosol cans, and I am quite pleased with the finish. If it was pretty shabby then I would have gone out and bought/hired better equipment.
As I said in earlier posts that she just needed a good tidy up and this is working well for me. :)

raysco
22nd June 2012, 04:45 PM
I just thought I would put a couple more pictures up.

Cabinet painted over the last week, its been inside and relatively warm and dry so I think the paint should be curing pretty well.

39848 39849

And we have put the red stencils on the back box and just given it its first couple of light coats.

39850 39851

raysco
25th June 2012, 08:40 PM
A few more pictures,
Although the stencils have been removed from the back box, I will give it another week to really dry. Hopefully by the end of the week the cab might be looking a bit more finished too.
Those who said about leaving it to dry for a week or more are right as I had two very small 'chips' from the base coat when I removed the white stencil :redface However, they are very small and easily dealt with.
39975 39976

We then put the stencils on for the red. And gave the body a white undercoat to try to bring the red out brighter.

39978 39979

And also couldnt wait to peel the stencils off the backbox, which we both (wife and I) are really happy with.

39981 39982

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rod71
25th June 2012, 10:25 PM
Lookin' real flash :cool:

spook
26th June 2012, 08:25 PM
Coming along very nicely .... great job. Would love to take on a Flash restore myself some day, just need to find some time (and another Flash) :)

raysco
1st July 2012, 09:06 PM
OK took the final stencils of the cab today and started putting it together so will try to put some before and after shots.

My wife and I (and she doesn't even like pinballs) are very happy with the result. Bear in mind the plywood on this machine is 30+ years old and has a fair bit of deep grain, so without filling every single inch of it, I have left that graininess in it (if you follow what I mean) so it still has that aged look but without the physical damage.
Anyway, this is how it turned out.......
40172 40173

40174 40175

:D

Railways
1st July 2012, 09:57 PM
Looks great Ray, well done:023::023:

Fire_Power
2nd July 2012, 12:48 PM
Wow that looks so much better, you must be very pleased.

Did you have much trouble removing the side rails?

raysco
2nd July 2012, 03:07 PM
The side rails are held on with a bolt at front and back and about 8 screw nails, so by sliding a metal ruler under the rail I could get the nail to come out about 1mm, just enough to grab it with some pliers and unscrew the nails. Actually very easy. And they went back on in a similar fashion, screwed the nail in and tapped it the last couple of mm.

raysco
2nd July 2012, 11:07 PM
Last post on this rebuild, she is all together and working, just a few minor things to do with a few bulbs gone, and give the playfield a clean.

Thanks for reading. :D

namastepat
2nd July 2012, 11:26 PM
When am I dropping round to play it? :) Looking very nice!

Rich
3rd July 2012, 07:21 AM
Top job, looks a treat and well done :cool: envy