PDA

View Full Version : Brasso is smelly - any ways to get rid of it?

MangledLeg
10th March 2012, 11:18 PM
So I spent some time Brasso-ing my Famicom's cart slot. My gawd that thing was dirty...

Anywho, it's now a bit Brasso-smelly around the cart slot and I don't want my Famicom carts to get smelly- any tips on getting rid of the smell? After cleaning with Brasso I then cleaned it up with some iso to take care of the residues left behind and was hoping that would help.

Thoughts would be awesome and appreciated ;)

@lien_Zed
11th March 2012, 07:10 AM
i would have cleaned it down not with brasso but a normal lead pencil eraser, a white one, like this

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser - Color%3A White.jpeg

the smell your smelling is "ammonia"

lots of removal methods for it

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=ammonia+smell+removal&oq=ammonia+smell+removal&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v2&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=616l9922l1l12600l21l21l0l3l3l1l439l6293l2-4.10.4l18l0&gs_l=hp.3.0.0j0i15l2.616l9922l1l12601l21l21l0l3l3l 1l439l6293l2-4j10j4l18l0&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=92808183ea6b6cdb&biw=1680&bih=934

MangledLeg
12th March 2012, 06:22 PM
Last I checked, no way to get a pencil eraser into a cart slot, so Brasso was the best bet. If it was cartridges, the eraser would have been ace though! Always forget about that one, always jump for iso or Brasso :P

Thanks for the ammonia links though, really appreciate it mate, wasn't sure the best way to Google it and using "Brasso" in the search terms wasn't giving me what I was after.

Or it was late at night and I was being lazy/braindead. That's pretty possible too!! :D

@lien_Zed
12th March 2012, 09:43 PM
Last I checked, no way to get a pencil eraser into a cart slot, a pocket knife would help trim it down to fit;)

Frank_fjs
12th March 2012, 10:28 PM
Hey ML, not sure if this will be applicable to your situation, but I know of people who clean consoles with bleach and to get rid of the smell they grab a container of bicarb soda and a glass of vinegar, put everything in a sealed box and leave it overnight. Apparently this will absorb the entire odour.

MangledLeg
13th March 2012, 09:58 PM
a pocket knife would help trim it down to fit;)

:lol

I think the only way it will work is if I use one of those curvey knives :D

Hey ML, not sure if this will be applicable to your situation, but I know of people who clean consoles with bleach and to get rid of the smell they grab a container of bicarb soda and a glass of vinegar, put everything in a sealed box and leave it overnight. Apparently this will absorb the entire odour.

That's... a really awesome idea! Any word on the mix ratio? I use bicarb on a plate in the fridge when there's smelly stuff in there and it works a treat, so I imagine it'd work fine with a console!

mamejay
14th March 2012, 01:23 PM
Ahhh Arm & Hammer. Is there anything you can't do???

@lien_Zed
14th March 2012, 02:04 PM
must be good, says it has been endorsed by Captain James T Kurk and contains the tears from Tibetan yacks, awesome:cool: