PDA

View Full Version : waxing procedure?

1up
11th February 2012, 06:02 PM
this might sound a bit silly but what is the correct way to wax a playfield?

i bought the mother pure carnuaba wax (the solid stuff) and have scraped off a bit of the wax from the tin and slowly in a circular motion applied it to the playfield (just a test section first), it seems to look a bit wet and oily when you rub it in. i let it dry to a light milky colur and then i tried using a microfibre cloth to buff off.

the problem is after i buff it off it doesnt look the wet glossy shine that i thought it would look like? it sorta looks like the rest of the playfield (as in it hasnt changed the look of the apearance). if that all makes sence.

my question is, should it look wet and glossy when done? is there a certain time i should let it dry/harden before wiping/buffing off?

cheers for any guidance ;)

clarky351
11th February 2012, 06:37 PM
When I wax mine they don't usually look different but you'll notice it when you play them... Big time :-)

1up
11th February 2012, 08:05 PM
Ahh ok then, I was expecting a bit of a visual difference once done.
At least I didn't do anything wrong lol.

Will be interesting once I do the whole playfield to see how it plays then

GORGAR 1
11th February 2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah wont look much different but will feel smooth and will play nice and fast:cool:

Peter

radirgyman
11th February 2012, 10:21 PM
I too used to be under the same impression, that it would look nice n shiny.
I think you could achieve this if you used a drill with a buffing pad on it.
Ive never tried it in fear of wearing my pins out!

You could always get your PF clear coated to look nice n shiny but that can be known to affect gameplay allot.

A forum user on here strips and clear coats all his machines. They look absolutely brilliant.
I saw his T2 and need to buy it! :)

Optimus68
12th February 2012, 08:09 AM
You need to use some elbow grease to notice the difference ;)

GORGAR 1
12th February 2012, 09:47 AM
You need to use some elbow grease to notice the difference ;)

Elbow grease where do you buy that:laugh:

Peter, oh yeah your right EG makes a difference.

jiveturkey
20th February 2012, 10:52 PM
Where do get the wax

Gav
21st February 2012, 07:09 PM
Will need at least 2-3 coats to start to shine. You will see the difference

danloads
21st February 2012, 08:49 PM
I use the 100% pure carnuaba in the bottle. its like a paist, my pins come out looking great with 1 coat and can even get that glass like finish with a couple of coats and a buff

narf_
21st February 2012, 09:14 PM
gibo recommened me to this a few years back and worked well on the pins i own

get it at bunnings for a bit less

http://www.gillystephenson.com/showProduct/Maintenance/Wax/G000080/Carnauba+Polish+100gm

1up
27th February 2012, 09:10 AM
gibo recommened me to this a few years back and worked well on the pins i own

get it at bunnings for a bit less

http://www.gillystephenson.com/showProduct/Maintenance/Wax/G000080/Carnauba+Polish+100gm

I got the mothers one (the hard one in the tin), but I will have a look at this one too. Man, once we get a pinball it's only the beginning of the spending... Wax's, cleaners, parts.... Lol