PDA

View Full Version : LAI coffin cabs

baz
10th January 2012, 05:02 PM
trying to understand why LAI chose certain games to go into there coffin cabs.

by the way whats the real proper name anyone ? im pretty sure the term or nick name "coffin" was created from AA.

anyone got the LAI rally x pic ? i cant find it....

so far .....

32573325743257532576325773257832579325803258132596 325973651336514

for a long time i considered these things damn ugly.. but now on second thought.. there really do give you that 80s appearance , just like it once was....
maybe we should stop calling them coffin cabs..lol

anyone got coffin cab pics ? please post here.

The Pinny Parlour
10th January 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm certain this type of thread has been done before for these cabinets.

PLEASE let this name NOT catch on and be the norm. I would hate for these classic LAI cabinets to be referred to as this.

P.S. My old game is in one of those photos.

necroscope
10th January 2012, 07:50 PM
I cant see why people call them that,i always prefered playing on the lai cabs back in the day they always had comfortable planging angles and you could always see the screen no matter what location they were in or what time of day it was.

baz
10th January 2012, 10:42 PM
a pheonix and bezerk added.....

4_ur_amusement
10th January 2012, 10:47 PM
They were called coffin cabs years and years ago I can remember working after school for an op and him saying they not only looked like one but were easy to carry like one

baz
10th January 2012, 11:59 PM
I'm certain this type of thread has been done before for these cabinets.

PLEASE let this name NOT catch on and be the norm. I would hate for these classic LAI cabinets to be referred to as this.

P.S. My old game is in one of those photos.

yup yup , i grabbed the photos and added some more i found , figured it time to bump up this old topic , its so important.. well i feel its important.....

knight76
11th January 2012, 12:33 PM
Why does the donkey kong cab side art have what looks like the end of dragons lair title printed on it?

Seems strange.

The white sides on the galaga makes me want to do mine up that way.

-------------------------------------------
Sent from mobile phone - All errors are the mobiles fault.

Dice275o
11th January 2012, 12:48 PM

I told you they were a awesome cab, regretable feeling from selling mine coming back...must...ignore..:lol

necroscope
11th January 2012, 12:51 PM
Why does the donkey kong cab side art have what looks like the end of dragons lair title printed on it?

Seems strange.

Do you mean the galaxian? as i cant see a galaga one.

knight76
11th January 2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah the galaxian sorry. Was typing on phone from memory of cab.

necroscope
11th January 2012, 03:28 PM
Yeah the galaxian sorry. Was typing on phone from memory of cab.

Galaga would look cool as well with a white background,i think lai stopped putting artwork on the sides by the time galaga came out.
Anybody know how long they made these cabs for?

pooyan
11th January 2012, 04:35 PM
I once had a LAI cabinet with Scramble artwork, which some other person painted over. Fortunately most of the paint was able to be removed eventually. And another one with partial Berzerk artwork.

baz
11th January 2012, 04:50 PM
scramble and bezerk have been found :)
makes me just wonder what other games LAI did dedicated artwork for that we have not seen in the coffin cabs.

pooyan
11th January 2012, 04:55 PM
scramble and bezerk have been found :)
makes me just wonder what other games LAI did dedicated artwork for that we have not seen in the coffin cabs.

Some of them were full side-art (like that Astro Fighter cabinet, which I love!), others were just stick-ons (eg Donkey Kong). It'd be cool to find out the definitive info on all of this stuff, you'd think that someone must have inside info from LAI back in the day.

necroscope
11th January 2012, 05:40 PM
I can remember a tutankam cab with artwork when i was young but not sure if it was a lai or a stern original.

blue95
11th January 2012, 08:57 PM
Here's a Namco cab that at some stage was converted to Street fighter. The decals were made by LAI, so I wouldn't be surprised if some LAI cabs turn up with this artwork. Sorry about the crappy phone pic, I sold it before I had the chance to take better ones.

baz
11th January 2012, 09:59 PM
damn , so LAI started stripping other peeps cabs.... sad... lol

gameroom
11th January 2012, 11:28 PM

There is a few different games on the side, and DK is busting through them.

baz
30th March 2012, 07:41 PM
put necroscopes old defender pic in here for good measure :)
hope he doesnt mind.

not exactly a coffin cab but its interesting to note that it is indeed a generic design , a simply swap of the control panel and mylar and game board and presto you have another dedicated machine less the side art work.

i have seen a lai asteroids in the very same cab

necroscope
30th March 2012, 08:05 PM
put necroscopes old defender pic in here for good measure :)
hope he doesnt mind.

not exactly a coffin cab but its interesting to note that it is indeed a generic design , a simply swap of the control panel and mylar and game board and presto you have another dedicated machine less the side art work.

i have seen a lai asteroids in the very same cab

Hey baz thats neuroscope too you mate....:lol... Interesting too note too that andykmv said the shape was almost identical too the williams defender except for the front panel where the coin door sits,i would say they may have used some left over cabs for asteroids.

necroscope
11th May 2012, 01:11 PM
Hey baz thought this might be of intrest an lai dedicated arkanoid cab,priced way over the odds but interesting cabinet design none the less http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arcade-Game-machine-/251058523517?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item3a74410d7d

geese
11th May 2012, 02:15 PM
Hey baz thought this might be of intrest an lai dedicated arkanoid cab,priced way over the odds but inteesting cabinet design none the less http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arcade-Game-machine-/251058523517?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item3a74410d7d

I cant bare to look at this wonderful cab knowing how much he wants for it.

knight76
11th May 2012, 03:27 PM
I have one of these babies sitting in my garage in the queue for a fix up. Chassis issue.

Classic looking cab.

Jason_roberts13
11th May 2012, 06:21 PM
I have one of these babies sitting in my garage in the queue for a fix up. Chassis issue.

Still adding to the queue hey jase hehe.