PDA

View Full Version : New Bird T-Rex 550E 3GX

Arcade King
6th January 2012, 04:14 PM
Arrived in the post today :D here's a few pre build pics.

Size Difference between a Walkera V200d03

ESC, Servos's and Motor

The head is almost as big as my V120d02s!

Tail Boom and Rotor Blade size difference

Nick64 with the Big arse canopy

I've worked out the connections from the 3GX to the RX801 for the Devo 8 I'm using.

Just waiting on the battery's and swash levelling tool and I'm set.

Frank_fjs
6th January 2012, 04:28 PM
Holy crap AK, that's a quality piece of kit!

Grab yourself some training gear, it will save you lots of dosh. :)

JOKERPOKER
6th January 2012, 04:39 PM
First time a mate tried his....Well lets just say it wasn't pretty and I,m not supposed to talk about it.

Bloody funny though:lol:lol:lol

Frank_fjs
6th January 2012, 04:48 PM
When you get to this size of heli, they can be lethal. You'd be surprised at how many people lack common sense. :)

Arcade King
6th January 2012, 04:50 PM
There's no doubt in my mind how dangerous this thing will be however it will NEVER be flown when others are around.
I was tossing up between this and the 450 but the general consensus is the 550e is the most stable choice and can handle decent wind so I paid the extra.

There's a picture of me in the manual.

Frank_fjs
6th January 2012, 05:06 PM
The bigger ones are more stable at hover, and tend to display less random behaviour. They also have a lot higher head speed and movement speed, so take it easy. Just practice getting it light on the skids at first, then take off's and landings. Don't move on from here until you have mastered it. Then move onto hovering for extended periods of time, always tail in at first. Keep progressing in this fashion and you and your heli will be safe. :)

Arcade King
6th January 2012, 05:12 PM
I've been logging a lot of time on Phoenix RC and its something I should have done from the get go.
I can also HIGHLY recommend buying John Salt's E-Books particularly this one Setup & Tips For RC Helis (http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-tips.html)

Brad
6th January 2012, 05:16 PM
Checks outside for wind.......hmm no wind so you can't fly it today Trav :lol

Thats an awesome mugshot of Nick LOL!

Brad

wingtipvortex
7th January 2012, 04:01 AM
I've been logging a lot of time on Phoenix RC and its something I should have done from the get go.

:D Good on you Trav! Its really necessary if you don't want to spend many hours rebuilding, and tones of cash on parts.

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Just practice getting it light on the skids at first,
No No No, that is the worst thing you can do, sorry Frank:(
Getting a big heli just off the skids is bad, and will lead to rotor and tail strikes. If you do this, the heli will be in ground effect, which light weight helis don't like at all. It will be hard to stabilize, and more than likely hit the deck very quickly.

Get the heli up to around 2 to 2 and a half feet on initial throttle. It will then be out of ground effect, and much more stable to hover.

Arcade King
7th January 2012, 07:34 AM
Made a bit of progress last night, I have to say I had forgotten how much I enjoy assembling model and RC gear, really its half the fun.

32359 32360 32361
It took me about 3 to get to this stage. The body is assembled and head built.
Need to go out this morning and get some more loctite and CA glue.

LOTR4U
26th January 2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ohd2W_WBs&feature=youtu.be

Arcade King
26th January 2012, 07:31 PM
it was pretty bloody windy that day too.

wingtipvortex
26th January 2012, 08:38 PM
Nice work on getting it built and flown Trav! Get it up and out of ground effect brother. Flipping it into stunt 1 will make the wind near non existent in that situation:cool:

Arcade King
26th January 2012, 09:05 PM
Weather has been shit mate so I've haven't been able to take my new bird out for its first spin. Hovering in the front yard is about all shes had so far and even that was done on a very windy day to show the boys.
Having said that I'm very happy with the stability, I made sure everything was set perfectly before trying to power is up and it paid off. I probably spent 20+ hours on my first build and set up. I decided to buy an RC Logger digital pitch gauge which made setting the pitches a breeze, highly recommended.

What sort of Radio do you use mate? I now regret buying Walkera, the quality is just atrocious compared to Align and its worth paying the extra money.
Trying to decide on a DX8 or Aurora 9

wingtipvortex
26th January 2012, 09:17 PM
Weather has been shit mate so I've haven't been able to take my new bird out for its first spin. Hovering in the front yard is about all shes had so far and even that was done on a very windy day to show the boys.
Having said that I'm very happy with the stability, I made sure everything was set perfectly before trying to power is up and it paid off. I probably spent 20+ hours on my first build and set up. I decided to buy an RC Logger digital pitch gauge which made setting the pitches a breeze, highly recommended.

What sort of Radio do you use mate? I now regret buying Walkera, the quality is just atrocious compared to Align and its worth paying the extra money.
Trying to decide on a DX8 or Aurora 9
Hey Trav, i will recommend Spectrum TX's till i die! I have, and many others ( 90% at my flying field ) all use the DX7. Some have moved to the DX8 and are very happy with them. I cant comment on the 8, as i haven't used one as yet. But from what ive heard, its up to Spectrum standards. There were a few glitches with them at first, but as far as i know these have been rectified.

I will double check that for you.

Arcade King
27th January 2012, 06:22 AM
I was going to buy a DX8 however have read a few instances of drop outs which has tuned me off.
Check out the Hitec Aurora 9 and let me know what you think. Seems like a top TX for the money but I'm not sure if it will bind to other brand RX's

Arcade King
29th January 2012, 07:36 AM
I ended up going with the Aurora 9. Setting it up now and I can see why its become so popular.

wingtipvortex
29th January 2012, 03:55 PM
I ended up going with the Aurora 9. Setting it up now and I can see why its become so popular.
I was at the field flying today and chatting with the lads about the Aurora 9. Our main club instructor uses one and says hes more than happy with it. The general consensus was, its a great TX:cool:
They were pretty impressed by its telemetry options.

On the other hand, the Aurora 9 had around the same amount of glitches as the DX8 in the beginning, but both have been rectified with firmware updates. Did it set you back around the $400 mark?

Arcade King
29th January 2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah mate, Bought it at Mild to Wild here at Arana Hills.

wingtipvortex
30th January 2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah mate, Bought it at Mild to Wild here at Arana Hills.

Sweet. Let me know your flying progress as you go. My tip is lock in as many basic skills as you can, like tail in hover, 45 degree hover both left and right, tail in forwards and backwards flight. These are all excellent second nature recovery skills that are worth their weight in gold. And try to do this at a distance of about 8 meters away from you for 2 reasons. One being safety, and the other being that when this heli does get away from you, and it will, it wont be as difficult to bring it home from a distance.

Have fun:cool:

Arcade King
1st February 2012, 04:48 PM
I had it out yesterday arvo just getting my DR and Expo how I want it. Got 22 mins out of the 6s 5000 30c lipo but that was just Hovering. No way there's enough room in my front yard to do much else lol.
Loving the Aurora 9. The on board telemetry is awesome, I had the alarm set to 19.5 volts which gives me plenty of juice to bring her in to land.

Keep to see some of your flying vids mate :)

wingtipvortex
1st February 2012, 06:04 PM
Ive got a couple of vids of me flying in one in HEAVY wind and snow:lol And another of my heli being used for a demo in an auto rotation, not being flown by me, but my flight instructor Rob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O9BfY4TM8M&list=UUarSq5u2h5Q8vyuFnQPL5zA&index=2&feature=plcp

Just a note Trav, with that brick you should only be hovering at low throttle for 8-10 mins, or if in idle up( stunt )6-8 mins mate. The lowest you should take it is 22.6v, that is the low end for a 6s. Taking it to 19.5v will kill your brick very quickly mate.

wingtipvortex
3rd February 2012, 06:42 PM
Short flight i did today, basic figure 8s at speed. I was pushing around 70% positive throttle. The change in head speed in throttle up was switching into stunt 1( idle up ) Apologies for the crap video in advance:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJbwlBPysE&list=UUarSq5u2h5Q8vyuFnQPL5zA&index=1&feature=plcp

Arcade King
3rd February 2012, 06:45 PM
Nice flying there mate? what's that your 700?

wingtipvortex
3rd February 2012, 06:47 PM
Nice flying there mate? what's that your 700?

550 Hurricane Trav

Arcade King
3rd February 2012, 06:52 PM
Shes a beauty :D Hopefully I'll be doing that some day soon hehe

wingtipvortex
3rd February 2012, 07:03 PM
Im sure you will, just get as much sim time as you can and trust in your control inputs when the sun is in your eyes:lol

Arcade King
5th February 2012, 09:01 AM
I took her out for her maiden flight this morning and all I can say is AWESOME! She handled like a dream. All that sim time paid off. :)

wingtipvortex
5th February 2012, 10:59 AM
Top work! Worth the effort i bet:cool:

Arcade King
5th February 2012, 11:11 AM
Yeah mate very gratifying and so much better than those little birds.
All I need now is a camera man :D

wingtipvortex
5th February 2012, 11:27 AM
Here is you camera man mate, wont miss a frame either...http://www.aee.com.au/Recording_Glasses_s/58.htm

David_AVD
5th February 2012, 08:25 PM
I've already killed Travis's old helicopter less than 6 hours after getting it! :laugh:

Arcade King
5th February 2012, 08:40 PM
:o lol I hope you're joking, I only just got it back together :D

David_AVD
6th February 2012, 09:44 AM
:o lol I hope you're joking, I only just got it back together :D

No, apparently it needs all of the parts to fly. Who would have thought! :redface

Arcade King
6th February 2012, 06:13 PM
Anther good session. Got 15 min + each out of my 2 lipos (and yes that's taking it to 3.7 volts per cell)
Was practising nose in hovering and landing which is pretty easy now. Need to find a open area with no light polls.

Brad
6th February 2012, 07:06 PM
Ummm, the model aero club field down the road might be best :b

Anther good session. Got 15 min + each out of my 2 lipos (and yes that's taking it to 3.7 volts per cell)
Was practising nose in hovering and landing which is pretty easy now. Need to find a open area with no light polls.

wingtipvortex
6th February 2012, 07:13 PM
I found nose in very difficult at first, and its something i never really went back to. Just one of those things i avoided, but should revisit. Its a bit distracting when there are poles and trees( and ive hit a few in planes ) about. The ground in my vid is a local soccer ground, could be bigger but its fine for what i like to do.

I give you 3 months till i see and inverted flight post Trav:cool:

Arcade King
6th February 2012, 07:31 PM
]
Ummm, the model aero club field down the road might be best :b

I spoke to one of the guys down there and apparently you need a licence to fly on that ground due to "council regulations" and BS. They mainly do planes and only 4 members fly Heli's and nobody knows where they got their licence. Stupid public liability can and is a joke at times.

I found nose in very difficult at first, and its something i never really went back to. Just one of those things i avoided, but should revisit. Its a bit distracting when there are poles and trees( and ive hit a few in planes ) about. The ground in my vid is a local soccer ground, could be bigger but its fine for what i like to do.

I give you 3 months till i see and inverted flight post Trav:cool:

Lol nah mate, can't say I'm interested in 3D flight, I know my limitations and I know I'm not that coordinated.
I'm pretty damn good at bringing her in nose first and landing but need more practise with cornering. Wouldnt be possible if I didnt take your advice and use the Sim (which was the best advice ever).
We have a big local show grounds here where I was at this arvo but as I said a lot of light polls everywhere makes it hard to really let her rip :(
Can't fly and take pics by myself atm so here's where I was.

funny how small it looks in that pic.

Brad
6th February 2012, 07:49 PM
Really? Damn thieving council bastards :realmad:

wingtipvortex
6th February 2012, 07:57 PM
Funny enough, pulling an inverted loop is is way easier than nose in hover:lol But each to their own they way you fly. My uncle is not interested in 3d flight at all, but the bug got him in the end. He pulled a loop and drove it into the ground:( He wasn't happy at all. Since then, its been normal flight for him.

Here's my heli in an auto for training purposes( not me on the sticks )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZHewRO3vo&list=UUarSq5u2h5Q8vyuFnQPL5zA&index=30&feature=plcp

@lien_Zed
6th February 2012, 09:51 PM
No, apparently it needs all of the parts to fly. Who would have thought! :redface

dear dear me :(:lol

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

]Can't fly and take pics by myself atm so here's where I was.

yes you can!!!! i know how!!! i know i know, pick me, pick me, i how how to do it!! oh yes, i know the answer!!!! oooohhhhhh please sir, can i do this one!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpGUAoMswE&feature=channel_video_title

Arcade King
7th February 2012, 06:27 AM
Lol man I'm not going to hack up my controller to do that :) Think I'll buy me a pair of those camera sunnies.

http://www.southernhobbies.com.au/images/pi_1087.jpeg

wingtipvortex
8th February 2012, 06:20 PM
That is a sweet looking TX Trav, meant to ask you, what mode is it 1 or 2

Arcade King
8th February 2012, 06:29 PM
It came as mode 1 but I change it to mode 2 :)

wingtipvortex
8th February 2012, 07:24 PM
It came as mode 1 but I change it to mode 2 :)

Nice. I think mode 2 is way more logical as it the same as a real heli, except for the anti torque controls of course.

Arcade King
8th February 2012, 07:52 PM
When I got my first 4 channel off Savage (V120D01) I couldn't fly mode 2 I was using mode 4, having the rudder on the same side as the throttle just didn't feel right. Luckily with heaps of practise in the sim I weaned myself onto mode 2.

@lien_Zed
9th February 2012, 05:41 PM
wow..nice lookin radio there Trav i dont blame you for not wanting to drill an extra hole in it

Arcade King
11th March 2012, 06:38 PM
since I've built this 550E I've had no issue but this after noon I stripped about 5 teeth off the main gear Switching from Normail to Sports mode :b :realmad: Thing sounded like an old clunky lawn mower.
NFI what happened either, when I hit the switch she struggled then bang! :( :b

wingtipvortex
11th March 2012, 07:01 PM
Sounds like the throttle curve was incorrect for switching modes? Did the heli spool from normal to stunt smoothly in the past? If its set too low in normal flight mode it can defiantly rip teeth off when switching to a much higher head speed.

Arcade King
11th March 2012, 07:05 PM
My sports mode is set in a V 85-80-85 as per manual, I've had no problems before this. Usually I'll throttle right up in Normal mode then hit the switch but this time it hesitated for about 10 seconds then bam.

There is a speed setting on the Aurora 9 which I "think" is suppose to prevent this but I haven't set it up yet.

wingtipvortex
11th March 2012, 07:16 PM
OK, that hesitation shouldn't happen and is abnormal, so it may be speedy malfunction ( i.e was there a sudden spurt in energy )? Also it could be a plain and simple failure with the main gear, its not common but does happen. When you throttle up and switch the mode, is there usually a smooth transition in head speed?

Arcade King
11th March 2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah there was a hesitation that was never there previously. I did put the ESC into Governor mode yesterday and turned out to be crap so disabled it, not sure if this had something to do with it or not but it was set back to the defaults. I might have to recheck the ESC setup beeps.

wingtipvortex
11th March 2012, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm, let me think about this Trav. At the field today some of the boys were discussing this very thing about GOV modes. Lots of downed helis today, as well as set up discussions. Maybe it was not a good day for heli flying:blink:
Nitros would not start....
Smoke from electric helis...
Mid air disintegration...
The list went on:lol

Arcade King
11th March 2012, 08:10 PM
Lol makes me feel better.
I did some reading and the Speed setting in the fight Cond menu apparently is a transition speed which you can set from 0 to 10. When I get el beasto fixed I'll have a play with it and hopefully this will prevent any more problems.
Its good to see an Aussie hobby shop stock Align parts RCbits (http://www.rcbits.com.au/). I bought 2 new gears for $15 and some KDE metal upgrades so should have it flying again next week :)

wingtipvortex
12th March 2012, 12:41 PM
Are you using the stock align speedy? If so, they do have a higher than others failure rate. Also, what was the distance between your gearing on the main gear? You should be able to run a rolly cig paper through it and have it come out kinked but not torn. I am thinking the gearing may have been to tight or slightly far, causing excessive heat/stress over time, then when/if the speedy had a hiccup, the teeth have given under spool up.

Maybe do a vid on initial spool up and transition into stunt1 for me, better if i can see and hear whats going on( when its fixed of course ).
Ps My transition speed allows me around 15 secs for spooling and stunt switching.

Arcade King
26th March 2012, 05:25 PM
Looks like it was the ESC mate, Thing went up in smoke on me yesterday on the bench.
I took it out for the first time in 3 weeks earlier that day and it stripped the main gear again within 15 seconds and this was without even switching flight modes.

wingtipvortex
27th March 2012, 10:54 PM
ESC was my first thought, although it was a long shot. I can link you to a great speedy if you like, but i reckon another Align will be good to go on a failure percentage ratio. Still, its pretty rare to strip gears even if its a speedy fault Trav....especially twice. I feel there is another issue playing a role.