PDA

View Full Version : Gottlieb Egg Head 1961 - full restore to new for 50th birthday

illawarra_steelers
31st December 2011, 04:49 PM
Have been quiet on the pinball front for several reasons since the meet here last October.

Anyways have been gathering all the necessary parts for a full restore on Gottlieb's Egg Head which was released in December 1961. Have been doing this over the past few months. Picked up this game off a collector and great mate Troy Meredith in Albury. Did as an straight swap for a AMI-Rowe 1962 juke. This was the juke picked up on eBay and in the shed for 6 days before it left. Once I got a sniff of the Egg Head the deal was done.

Designed by the legend Wayne Neyens with art by the master Roy Parker.

So she is has just turned 50. So what plans do I have instore?

How about the purchase of an impossible to find N.O.S. playfield from the US? Repro Shay Arcade backglass, Pinball Rescue are scheduled to make plastics for this game during 2012. The game is complete except the lockdown bar (available from PBR) and the instruction card. This may end up being the hardest to locate :unsure

The game is pulled down and in a thousand parts. Will start on the cab first. At present the game is painted in white house paint and the cab is a bit knocked about. The wedge head has a few splits in the timber along the front but good old Tony T from the Pinball Shed came up with a replacement. Have 2 boxes from PBR, parts such as all new front door, surround and hardware, coin entrance plates, all new pop bumpers, skirts and caps, flipper bats, flipper rebuild kit and excellent repro side rails made here in Oz by JPD see: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/42996-GOTT-em-rails

Big call but know this will be a massive job but she will look awesome once done.

Have taken some photos and will post with a hangover News Years day ;)

Edit, new parts bought:

NOS playfield
Shay Arcade reproduction backglass
NOS Intruction card
Chrome leg bolts
Reproduction side rails
Paint for all of cab
5 Daisy domed pop bumper 10 points
4 Deco cap dome 10 points when lit
Reproduction lockdown bar
Pinball Rescue decal for score card tray
1x Lock 7/8”
4x Legs Tee - LEG-TEE
1x GTB Arch stick protector (manual ball lift)
1x GTB Arch ball deflector
1x Red metal door push button
1x Front door hole plug
1x Coin reject rod
1x Rubber set
2x 1” white rubber ring
1x Rubber lamp sleeve blue
1x Rubber lamp sleeve red
2x Leg levellers 2” stem
2x Leg levellers 3” stem
2x Hard plastic light sleeve red
2x Hard plastic light sleeve blue
1x Small chrome metal coin door shell single chute
1x Trapezoidal coin entrance plate 5 cents
1x Trapezoidal coin entrance plate blank
1x Gottlieb ball shooter rod
1x Beehouse plunger housing – red
2x Flipper retaining Clip
1x Old style rollover button red
1x Old style rollover button white
1x Trim ring for small coin door single chute
20 x 1” carriage bolt, washer and nut
9x Bayonet light sockets
20x Siderail nails
5x M/S pop bumper body
4x Advance bumper body
1x Gottlieb flipper rebuild kit
2x Flipper bushings
2x Rubber lamp sleeve blue
2x Rubber lamp sleeve red
1x Shooter spring inside
1x Shooter spring outside
2x Metal flipper buttons red
1 Pair 2” round top white flipper plastic
2x 1” white rubber rings
2x Holding screws
2 boxes of #455 blinking lamps
5 boxes of 47 lamps
4x 31" reproduction legs

Fish Tales
31st December 2011, 05:15 PM
Look fwd to watching this one ;)

bigALshoalhaven
31st December 2011, 07:10 PM
thats a massive list of new parts! :blink:
i also will be watching this one closely :)

goodolddays
1st January 2012, 09:03 AM
Major project there Tony . Looking forward to progress pics :)

em_pins
1st January 2012, 10:25 AM
Looks to be a great project, keep the pics coming. The cabinet & BB artwork look to be very simple to duplicate for stencils etc. There is a instruction card on IPD.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Try this as well for instruction card - http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

Darksoul
1st January 2012, 11:55 AM
Will be watching.

illawarra_steelers
2nd January 2012, 12:00 PM
Some photos of what the game started at, these were taken a few days ago.

Nice white house paint.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_7.jpg

Nice original perspex backglass has held up fairly well for 50 years. Repro Shay glass to replace.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_1.jpg

Closeup detail of some Roy Parker babes, some slight paint loss.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_6.jpg

Upper and lower playfield. All to be replaced by new parts.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_3.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_4.jpg

Showing the split in the timber of the head, the strange thing is both sides are the same
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_8.jpg

Front door detail - sure looks different to the 1980-2000 front doors. Note small plunger under main plunger. This was to manually load the balls from the trough to the playfield.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_5.jpg

Very rare survivor! This is an Australian delievered game that spent it's location life in Queensland. Still in 2 minds about keeping the original coin plates or replacing with reproduction 5c plates from PBR.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead1/20111129_9.jpg

Arcade King
2nd January 2012, 01:15 PM
Wow how sweet it that!

millsy56
2nd January 2012, 01:23 PM
Should come up nicely Tony
Hopefully the original paint is under that house paint.
Personally I would leave the coin plates as 6d (Lot of younger ones dont realise this is the coin we used to use back then :lol)

illawarra_steelers
2nd January 2012, 01:29 PM
Should come up nicely Tony
Hopefully the original paint is under that house paint.
Personally I would leave the coin plates as 6d (Lot of younger ones dont realise this is the coin we used to use back then :lol)

Have just removed the house paint and sadly there is nothing under. Wont be a difficult patern to copy. Still in 2 minds about the coin entrance plates..the reason being all of the front metal will be new/reproduction and they will look out of place.

bigALshoalhaven
2nd January 2012, 02:07 PM
they will look out of place.

thats the first thing that crossed my mind.
looking at the picture it looks like with an engraver and some black paint you could possibly change the new 5c plate's text to 6d:unsure

dezbaz
2nd January 2012, 04:57 PM
What a great contender for a restore, looks amazing already:)

Better than most of us at age 50 I might say :D

twobobsworth
2nd January 2012, 05:05 PM
Looking at the machine to the left of egg head, you have all the tools needed sitting on top.

Fish Tales
2nd January 2012, 05:09 PM
Artwork is a real snapshot, later pins didnt come close to doing that.

Thasaman
2nd January 2012, 08:08 PM
Yeh I saw this at Tony's the other day and this will be a fantastic pin to restore.

All the best for this one mate. It will be a classic.

And yeh the plunger pull up ball is where I started from, showing my age now....

wingtipvortex
2nd January 2012, 08:35 PM
What is 6d? Nice looking em though, just something about them i really like:)

illawarra_steelers
2nd January 2012, 09:16 PM
What is 6d? Nice looking em though, just something about them i really like:)

Pre 5 cent coin before the currency thing went 'metric' a coin of this value was 6d (which was the Australian Sixpence)

The Australian Sixpence was a coin used in the Commonwealth of Australia prior to decimalization. It was minted from 1910 until 1963, excluding 1913, 1915, 1929–33 inclusive, 1937, 1947 and 1949. After decimalization on 14 February 1966, it continued to circulate at the value of 5?, along with new 5? coins of the same size and weight.

During World War II, between 1942 - 1944, sixpence production was supplemented by coinage produced by two branches of the United States Mint. Coins struck at the San Francisco mint (1942-1944) carry a small S below the coat of arms, while those from the Denver mint (1942-1943) have a small D in the same place.

From 1910 to 1945 Australian sixpences were of sterling silver (0.925 fine); from 1946 to 1963 they were reduced to 0.500 fine.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Looking at the machine to the left of egg head, you have all the tools needed sitting on top.

Indeed, Coopers Stout is the current favourite in the Steelers shed :)

Thasaman
2nd January 2012, 09:34 PM
Ok what is a 6d.....now I feel old!!! 3 pennies for bus fare from school home.....

Fire_Power
3rd January 2012, 07:19 AM
Looks great Tony, will be a good to follow progress. I like the humour in th BG and I reckon keeping the original coin plates would suit - surely they can be polished up or replated?

Special When Lit
3rd January 2012, 09:52 AM
Looking forward to seeing this done, love 60's Gottliebs.
The B/G & playfield already look pretty good, looks like you did well with it.

goodolddays
3rd January 2012, 11:45 AM
What a great looking game .. love the Roy Parker Babes :cool:

blue95
5th January 2012, 01:34 AM
If you could get those old plates to clean up enough not to look out of place, they would be the go

gordo
8th January 2012, 03:16 PM
Hi Tony,

What a great looking machine to start a resto with.

For what it's worth, I left the 6d coin slide in my Sweet hearts machine (only has the one). Still looks great. If they were in bad shape I would replace but it's nice to keep something special.

Good luck Gordo........

illawarra_steelers
11th January 2012, 07:01 PM
N.O.S. playfield is on it's way from the US and with some luck will be here next week :)

Cab is stripped of all paint and over the past few days have been strengthening and clamping. Base white to be applied over the next 48 hours.

Good old Ozito orbital sander (bang for your buck powertools)
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead2/IMG_8335.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead2/IMG_8340.jpg

As luck would have it the original stencil design is marked into the timber
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead2/IMG_8336.jpg

Back corner of the head has seen better days
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead2/IMG_8341.jpg

Gottlieb Gary
12th January 2012, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the purchase / payment of the NOS playfield from me. As soon as my bank has the funds available I will ship immediately. I am currently unemployed in this economy and money is very tight. I had this shipped to me from Canada over 5 years ago but never got around to installing. I has been sitting around in the crate since arriving. My playfield is still presentable enough to keep using. Glad to see it is going into a complete restoration. I plan on tracking this thread since I will repaint my entire cabinet someday. Glad to see the original stencils are viewable for you. :D

Homepin
12th January 2012, 05:47 AM
Yuck! The corner of that backbox is pretty scungy...what do you intend to do to sort that out??? :unsure

bigALshoalhaven
12th January 2012, 07:52 AM
Yuck! The corner of that backbox is pretty scungy...what do you intend to do to sort that out??? :unsure
he got a replacement from pinballshed Tony im pretty sure

goodolddays
12th January 2012, 08:00 AM
You got lucky with the Stencil design there Tony .
Keep the updates coming

Fire_Power
12th January 2012, 08:10 AM

Builders' bog will sort that. Remove the nails and screws, maybe a piece of quad glued and pinned on the inside (if it's not already there) for strength and then bog away. Once sanded and painted you wont be able to pick it was ever a problem.

stuba
12th January 2012, 09:43 AM
looking forward to this one tony!

illawarra_steelers
12th January 2012, 07:10 PM
I plan on tracking this thread since I will repaint my entire cabinet someday. Glad to see the original stencils are viewable for you. :D

Hi Gary, welcome to AA, great to see you here :)

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Yeah how bad was it! The other back corner was nearly as bad. Took all the nails out, glue, clamps and all let sit for 48 hours. Filled the mess with Polyfilla interior timber. Easy to work with and sand.

blue95
12th January 2012, 07:49 PM
Is the old backbox available yet?

illawarra_steelers
13th January 2012, 05:42 AM
Is the old backbox available yet?

Yeah mate, all yours

EM Addict
15th January 2012, 10:38 PM
Maate its coming along, looking forward to seeing the finished product at one of yr meets this year:cool:
I guess you have finished the Cleopatra seeing as you have moved on to this new project?( hint)<_<

illawarra_steelers
19th January 2012, 07:39 PM
Maate its coming along, looking forward to seeing the finished product at one of yr meets this year:cool:
I guess you have finished the Cleopatra seeing as you have moved on to this new project?( hint)<_<

Maaaaaaaate,

Cleopatra on hold....all will be told soon

What are the odds of finding another N.O.S. Egg Head playfield this week :unsure Found ANOTHER one in the US!

The one I have bought should be here this coming Monday :) Gary - if your reading this your the coolest pinball dude on the planet!

illawarra_steelers
26th January 2012, 10:42 AM
Cab is already to paint. Has all been strengthened, sanded and stencils made. Just waiting for the right weather to paint as has been very humid.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead26012012/IMG_8440.jpg

Well the massive news here is the 50 year old N.O.S. playfield arrived from the US on Tuesday. To say I'm stoked is an understatement. There is a small amount of damage but this will be covered when all the parts are installed. One of the lenses is missing but will just pop the one on the current playfield.

So this is what a 50 year old playfield that has never been installed looks like :)

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead26012012/IMG_8442.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead26012012/IMG_8443.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead26012012/IMG_8444.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/egghead26012012/IMG_8445.jpg

hamo54
26th January 2012, 11:24 AM
Tony
That looks fantastic.
Only 8 years younger than me but unfortunately I have a lot more wear and don't look any where near that good.:)

Geoff

Dice275o
26th January 2012, 07:38 PM
How will you prepare the pf? surely this will be clear coated or something?

illawarra_steelers
26th January 2012, 08:13 PM
How will you prepare the pf? surely this will be clear coated or something?

Toyed with this idea but will stay true to original. Will restore as the game left the factory in Jan 1961 except for the following: will use the 'black splatter' on the cab rather the silver that was used and will instal a red beehive plunger surround rather than the factory white.

millsy56
26th January 2012, 09:39 PM
Great PF find - Plenty of wax there Tony and no rusty/pitted balls allowed on PF ;)

The Pinny Parlour
26th January 2012, 09:59 PM
50 year old playfield... that is cool.

That Egg Head robot reminds me of Bender from Futurama.

gruntcake
26th January 2012, 10:45 PM
That new/old playfield is beautiful Tony. I'd keep the coin entrance plates as original,they reflect the history and nostalgia of the era in Australia when we were kids so much better than shiny new 5c plates.
Who cares if they're a bit grubby? That's what we used to stick our sixpences from cashed in coke bottles into.

goodolddays
27th January 2012, 12:25 PM
That playfield is an amazing find Tony . :cool:

illawarra_steelers
28th January 2012, 06:18 PM
That new/old playfield is beautiful Tony. I'd keep the coin entrance plates as original,they reflect the history and nostalgia of the era in Australia when we were kids so much better than shiny new 5c plates.
Who cares if they're a bit grubby? That's what we used to stick our sixpences from cashed in coke bottles into.

Have decided to go with PBR repro 5 cent coin entrance plate. Figure the rest of the game will look 'new' and the original 5d will look out of place.

Put on the first layer of white today, not happy with the result. Going to take the Happy Clown head that was repainted last year into the hardware store to get an exact match. Will take a photo of this...always get strange looks when this happens :lol

Gottlieb Gary
1st February 2012, 04:05 PM
Tony,
Thanks for the compliment!
Sorry to hear you are having paint matching issues, though I am glad to see you want that near perfect match to original color.
I have heard it is hard to do taking into account the paint's age, cigar/cigarette smoke, etc.
I could forward you some high resolution pics of my Egg Head cabinet if needed.
It would take a few days though since all 20 machines are currently at a shopping mall as we finish the basement of my brother's house.

Been working more on the theory document (about 20 more hours) by finishing what needed verified, corrected, plus adding about a dozen more pages.
They include how the score motor & switches work plus another section on how to read schematics.
Also, a lot of nice pics added in the document for ease of reading.
Will send PDF when finished.

Cant wait to see a pic of the finished cabinet.
Good luck with the project!
Gary

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Is there anyone close to you that can re-chrome the original coin plates?

JOKERPOKER
1st February 2012, 05:06 PM
Have decided to go with PBR repro 5 cent coin entrance plate. Figure the rest of the game will look 'new' and the original 5d will look out of place.

Put on the first layer of white today, not happy with the result. Going to take the Happy Clown head that was repainted last year into the hardware store to get an exact match. Will take a photo of this...always get strange looks when this happens :lol

That is going to be some resto. You would like my 1963 Sweet Hearts Tony.Have a look in the gallery. have a new backglass coming from Ron and Nancy which will really bring it back up.I think with all the new parts and bling i agree with your choice to go the new 5c plate. When do you think it will be finished?

Cheers Scott

goodolddays
1st February 2012, 05:21 PM
have a new backglass coming from Ron and Nancy Cheers Scott

Gday Scott .

How did you manage that ? When I emailed Ron last year about shipping a BG he wasn't willing to ship here :(

Cheers
Dave

illawarra_steelers
1st February 2012, 05:44 PM
Have the off white now that I'm happy with - the paint colour is 'American Antique' - I actually took up my last restore to the paint store which was Happy Clown (which can been seen in the background in the first photo below) and got the match off that. Game got 4 coats spread a day apart. Then let this sit for a day then applied the 'spatter' - when the game came out of the factory it was originally silver but I really like the black. Also the 'splatter' is heavier than the factory but hey it's my game! The black spatter paint is 'Rust Guard Epoxy Enamal'

Also the timber rails have been stripped, they were stained and varnished and are ready to go on the playfield.

Next will be the reds and the blues, this will be weeks in the process as I have to work the next 30 odd days straight!

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/IMG_8570.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/IMG_8569.jpg

Thasaman
1st February 2012, 05:50 PM
Tony,

I think you will have visitors coming far and wide to see this one in the flesh when you have finished with it!!

Great job!!

illawarra_steelers
1st February 2012, 05:53 PM
That is going to be some resto. You would like my 1963 Sweet Hearts Tony.Have a look in the gallery. have a new backglass coming from Ron and Nancy which will really bring it back up.I think with all the new parts and bling i agree with your choice to go the new 5c plate. When do you think it will be finished?

Cheers Scott

Real sweet looking game there Scott and a classic also!

When will this be finished? The plan is that Egg Head, Happy Clown, Magnotron, Capersville and the twin rifle EM gun game will all be ready for the next meet later in the year!

JOKERPOKER
1st February 2012, 06:17 PM
Gday Scott .

How did you manage that ? When I emailed Ron last year about shipping a BG he wasn't willing to ship here :(

Cheers
Dave

Check PM

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Real sweet looking game there Scott and a classic also!

When will this be finished? The plan is that Egg Head, Happy Clown, Magnotron, Capersville and the twin rifle EM gun game will all be ready for the next meet later in the year!

I missed your last one but would love to see your collection. From what i have heard it is very impressive.I love the old EM's still. That's why the 1963 it's as old as me and some days it's in better nick.:laugh:
Great job on the splatter. I always think they don't look finished without it. New paint but just not right.

Cheers

goodolddays
2nd February 2012, 07:28 AM
Nice work Tony :cool:

The plan is that Egg Head, Happy Clown, Magnotron, Capersville and the twin rifle EM gun game will all be ready for the next meet later in the year!

I think that is a VERY ambitious plan you've got there . Good Luck :)

illawarra_steelers
2nd February 2012, 05:15 PM
Nice work Tony :cool:

I think that is a VERY ambitious plan you've got there . Good Luck :)

Time will tell, will have at least 4 of them ready ;)

Also have just located a NOS intruction card and have added a list in the OP of all the new parts bought so far

JOKERPOKER
2nd February 2012, 06:40 PM
I take my hat off to you Tony:huh:

goodolddays
3rd February 2012, 08:27 AM
Hey Tony .

How come you didn't get new rod/rings ??

illawarra_steelers
3rd February 2012, 02:20 PM
do'h....yeah dave have them just forgot to add to original list

goodolddays
3rd February 2012, 08:15 PM
do'h....yeah dave have them just forgot to add to original list

Thought so but had to ask :D

Gottlieb Gary
13th March 2012, 01:40 PM
Tony,
How were you able to remove the steel rail spiral nails without damage to the rails?
The theory of operation is nearly completed.
Have added sections on the score motor, reading schematics, switch adjustment gaps, & typical switch stack uses & operations.
Gary

illawarra_steelers
13th March 2012, 03:50 PM
Tony,
How were you able to remove the steel rail spiral nails without damage to the rails?Gary

Hey Gary,

Good to hear from you. The side rail nails are easily removed if you use a very small flat headed screwdriver and using a small hammer tap at the base of the nails until they lift slightly. Then using pincers they come out sweet. As I'm using repro Gottlieb side rails made by JPD (see http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/42996-GOTT-em-rails) wasn't worried about any damage done.

Sadly because of an insane work load have done sweet f all on the Egg Head but have installed stainless mirrors on the inside the cab that were made by member skitz here and will post pix tonight...they look awesome and will get sets made for the rest of my pins down the track

illawarra_steelers
13th March 2012, 05:19 PM
Here are some quick pix of the stainless mirrors made by skits (thanks mate). As far as I'm aware these are the first on EM :)

The photos don't do these justice

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/IMG_8708.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/IMG_8703.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/IMG_8699.jpg

dj10555
13th March 2012, 05:46 PM
Looks awesome Tony. Never seen this done on an EM before but definitely works!

JOKERPOKER
15th March 2012, 08:08 AM
A blinged EM...I like it:cool:

goodolddays
15th March 2012, 08:23 AM
Looking forward to seeing this game in the flesh . The mirror blades really add to it I reckon.

JOKERPOKER
15th March 2012, 01:20 PM
Looking forward to seeing this game in the flesh . The mirror blades really add to it I reckon.

We might have add to ours.

goodolddays
15th March 2012, 03:39 PM
We might have add to ours.

I'm already thinking about putting them on my Gottlieb Thorobred

illawarra_steelers
15th March 2012, 09:32 PM
I'm already thinking about putting them on my Gottlieb Thorobred

If you do Dave, just drop me a PM and I'll send you the measurements to save you mucking about.

ROLLERBALL
19th March 2012, 08:20 AM
Wow...looking good Mr Steeler

Pash
28th July 2012, 06:05 PM
Hows this restore been going Tony. Been a while since the last post, have you got it completed or close to it yet.

illawarra_steelers
28th July 2012, 06:18 PM
Hows this restore been going Tony. Been a while since the last post, have you got it completed or close to it yet.

Um...sitting in a corner in a million bits :(

Well the white base paint and black splatter are done, front door hardware and mirror blades installed. Waiting for the weather to warm up so can get back into the cab. Oh and bought a new set of 31" legs from PBR for her.

On a bright note Happy Clown will be finally finished next week :)

billstats
28th July 2012, 08:28 PM
:redfacelooking forward to seeing the happy clown tony :realmad:

goodolddays
29th July 2012, 10:38 AM
About time with the Happy Clown Tony :D

illawarra_steelers
4th December 2014, 06:51 PM
was searching for something on the forum and saw this thread..3 years and not a thing done to the game in that time :(

Johns-Arcade
4th December 2014, 06:59 PM
was searching for something on the forum and saw this thread..3 years and not a thing done to the game in that time :(

Sounds like my Atari Star Wars cockpit when I first got it, but it's now working, so too it Tony! :D

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

illawarra_steelers
16th June 2015, 06:53 PM
EM Addict :)

well after not doing anything except for shuffling this poor old thing around the gamesroom floor..finally..after 3 years have started back on this game again.

looking at the photo the original nos playfield will need to be cleaned again as it has dust and various muck from just sitting around, drilling holes in the timber etc.

have nearly got the playfield together and replaced everything on top with new..just waiting on 4 repro caps from my next pinball resource order.

what planted the seed was pinball rescue had recently released repro plastic sets for eggy http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Egg_Head.html

pimped out the playfield very slightly and popped the 4 original red inserts and replaced them with 1” transparent blue sunburst playfield inserts from pinball resource.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/Mobile%20Uploads/20150616_180926_zpsjlpinm8e.jpg

Fish Tales
17th June 2015, 02:12 PM
looks sweet :cool:

illawarra_steelers
23rd June 2015, 06:55 PM
another small step, all plastics back in place..just need to find all the top metal parts.

been a pain as the nos playfield isn't pre drilled, so it's slow going

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150623_183932_zpsvgmelt8p.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150623_183954_zpsvqleloou.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150623_184004_zps1moiiifm.jpg

Johns-Arcade
23rd June 2015, 07:16 PM
Wow! Looking good Tony! :o

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Rob1966
23rd June 2015, 07:35 PM
Wow that playfield looks awsome

Blktgr74
23rd June 2015, 07:55 PM
That is stunning Tony. Makes me want an EM in the lineup more than ever.

Fire_Power
24th June 2015, 08:15 AM
Looks great! I'd be scared to put a drill on a new pf. But will she make it by 55 ;)

thejudge
24th June 2015, 09:21 AM
Very nice Tony, I'm glad that you found time to work on it again

illawarra_steelers
24th June 2015, 07:29 PM
another small step was finding all the bits that were pulled off the game 3 years ago and have been shuffled around the shed..found the score card tray tonight which will get a new pinball rescue decal applied over the weekend...and what's in the small envelope? a near impossible to find n.o.s. set of score and instruction cards for the eggy.

the only parts i can't find are the 2 bars that separate the 2 upper metal playfield arches and the 2 metal parts that sit above that that lock in the playfield glass..does anybody have any of these they would sell?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150624_192027_zpsujjbnoaf.jpg

Jesder
24th June 2015, 07:40 PM
the only parts i can't find are the 2 bars that separate the 2 upper metal playfield arches and the 2 metal parts that sit above that that lock in the playfield glass..does anybody have any of these they would sell?

Do you have a photo or image reference of the parts you're after? I purchased an EM parts box not too long ago with misc parts in it. I can have a look if I know what they look like :)

illawarra_steelers
24th June 2015, 07:55 PM
thanks mate..basically all the metal that runs left to right under the head of the game..at the very end/top of the playfield..would be all the samd as what is on the space orbit.

JOKERPOKER
24th June 2015, 10:21 PM
another small step, all plastics back in place..just need to find all the top metal parts.

been a pain as the nos playfield isn't pre drilled, so it's slow going

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150623_183932_zpsvgmelt8p.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150623_183954_zpsvqleloou.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150623_184004_zps1moiiifm.jpg

Love seeing a really nice 60s game but with a new playfield even better. Kick myself for selling the SweetHearts. Didn't play it a lot but just a really cool thing to have around. And it was bull it proof reliable. Hope the guy I sold it to remembers I always said I'd buy it back. Great work Tony. Looks really nice mate.

goodolddays
25th June 2015, 04:00 AM
Looks sweet Tony . Love the artwork on these old girls .

illawarra_steelers
29th June 2015, 08:33 PM
another small step..and the original pinball header added to the game..this was a reproduction made by pinball rescue off an original one i supplied to them about 10 years ago

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150629_173116_zps9jgm5kh0.jpg

v200juke
30th June 2015, 11:39 PM
Another beautiful job Tony. Keep the pics coming. Breathing life into these old machines is an art in itself. Very rewarding personally (not in money as we all know) Please keep us posted, Mark.

mark1
10th July 2015, 09:21 PM
That playfield is fantastic, you cant beat an old EM restored to better that new, 10/10 so far

Special When Lit
11th July 2015, 04:14 AM
Fantastic.

JOKERPOKER
11th July 2015, 08:27 AM
another small step..and the original pinball header added to the game..this was a reproduction made by pinball rescue off an original one i supplied to them about 10 years ago

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150629_173116_zps9jgm5kh0.jpg

I've still got mine Tony....just need to get another early em one day to put it on. I'm such a sucker for toppers.
I keep coming back to look at that playfield..just beautiful.

gordo
1st August 2015, 02:20 PM
Tony

WOW!!
What a beauty, the playfield is the nicest I have seen.

Gordo....

Mr Pinbologist
4th August 2015, 08:11 AM
DAMN!! Thats sweeeet lookin Tony

VERY NICE indeed!

illawarra_steelers
10th August 2015, 08:21 PM
so, another small update..as new games have been coming in and take my interest, good old eggy takes some small steps..

the rest of the repro caps arrived from pinball resource, all new rubber installed..and blue leds thanks to luke (please leave positive feedback on ebay mate ;) ) have been installed under the blue lenses and the 4 globes under the top arch..

still waiting for the weather to warm up before finishing the cab.

had repro stainless side rails also arrive from mr. JPD

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150810_193302_zps8oeedraf.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20150810_193313_zpsu2r3a9vq.jpg

Jesder
21st August 2015, 09:06 AM
I thought of you Tony when I watched this today:

https://youtu.be/vVenWqiy6nI?t=606

Can't wait to see yours completed!

flipperclown
9th October 2015, 10:26 AM
Tony, i cant wait to see poor Eggy finished, she is such a beautiful game, that is going to be such an awsome looking game once she's finished.
I thought of you Tony when I watched this today:

https://youtu.be/vVenWqiy6nI?t=606

Can't wait to see yours completed!

illawarra_steelers
22nd February 2016, 07:40 PM
december 2011 when this was started, we are now february 2016, she is alive

yes they are leds under the playfield arch..and now experimenting with the "X" and "O" the O on the lower playfield above the flippers is a white led and i like the effect.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160222_200119_zpsggyuuycs.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160222_200137_zpstv7xha3j.jpg

Zedmaniac
22nd February 2016, 07:58 PM
I love the computer tech in the background - futuristic! Nice job Tony. Z

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

dezbaz
22nd February 2016, 08:05 PM
Awesome work Tony, excellent :)

Rich
24th February 2016, 05:46 AM
just noticed the top right hand switch has popped a blade outside of the rubber.

billstats
24th February 2016, 01:27 PM
the l.e.d,s under the top arch look great!

illawarra_steelers
16th March 2016, 07:48 PM
if this game was a dog, she would of been put down by now..so did a little bit more tonight.

as the game was just shuffled around the floor over her last few years i made the mistake of laying the internals of the head down on the concrete floor..so when
it came time to put it all back together the chipboard had absorbed damp and rotted..just what i needed something else to finish on this.

the chipboard has swollen so much that it wouldn't be possible to place the new backglass in the head, also notice the condition of the chipboard, it looks like weetbix that has been left
in milk for an hour.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160316_194515_zpskxdyosh6.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160316_194442_zpsuz2do7sf.jpg

so i had to really take my time taking the chipboard (or what just didn't flake off on to the floor) off and place it back on some new mdf..seriously i
felt like a archeologist putting back together something that had ben dug up from 5,000bc
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160316_202426_zpsnefnpztm.jpg

so have it all off and will paint round where there globes are for better reflection of the light.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160316_202841_zpsgp5twq9l.jpg

pocketscience
16th March 2016, 08:49 PM
I've had a similar problem with my Surf Champ - I replaced as much of the chipboard I could using watered down wood glue (so it would soak in deeply) and clamped the shit out of it for a week. Once the clamps came off it was amazing how strong the old chipboard felt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dezbaz
16th March 2016, 09:57 PM
Wow, sorry to hear this happened

What a massive effort to repair, nice work so far

illawarra_steelers
18th March 2016, 12:11 PM
what a pain..anyways making up a new light surround for the head using mdf.

got almost all of the decayed woodchip off and have painted the white area again to reflect the light better (and just noticed i have missed 2 sections top right and left of the score reels).
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160318_125314_zpsvjfpv1tf.jpg

here is the old surround and will put into the green waste bin..
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160318_125256_zpsslc272lg.jpg

tools of choice (yes love ryobi products)..just to stress the protection shown in the photo..safety glasses, p2gv masks for the lungs and hearing protection (to save what little i have left)..also just one more
point of interest using a blade on the jigsaw for hardwood.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/20160318_125411_zpswevfmj44.jpg

jason1
18th March 2016, 12:43 PM
yes I like the Ryobi my self, but your really fancy you have the 5.0 battery lol.
people use to bag me for using a ryobi when I was building motorhomes, instead of using the shops Milwaukee's, but the thing built about 30 motorhomes drilling chassis steel all day long with step drills, I built my shed and fitted out 2 shops, and punched about 300 12mm dynabolts into concrete on hammer when setting up my Laundromat and still going strong. I like the metal chucks though, the only bad thing about them is the chargers dont last, ive gone through about 3 of them but they really get used and they have been used in industrial situations the entire time,
My small blue ryobi router is my favorite tool its done some work over the years,

is the 5.0 battery much heavier?

also those side cutting drill bits are handy arnt they? good for cleaning corners out

On topic the job looks good
that playfield is a winner

illawarra_steelers
18th March 2016, 01:30 PM
no the 5 amp batteries aren't that much heavier..ryobi atm have in development 10 to 12 amp batteries..also have some 1.3 and 2.5 amp batteries so always have plenty to keep running.

illawarra_steelers
19th August 2016, 11:06 AM
so after 4 years.. $2,500 spent and way over 100 hours of labour on and off egg head is leaving the steelers shed :(

JOKERPOKER
19th August 2016, 02:46 PM
so after 4 years.. $2,500 spent and way over 100 hours of labour on and off egg head is leaving the steelers shed :(

Not to mention the headaches.

thejudge
21st August 2016, 07:48 PM
I haven't seen an update on this for awhile so was it completed?

illawarra_steelers
21st August 2016, 09:27 PM
I haven't seen an update on this for awhile so was it completed?

yeah mate, repro backglass that was ordered 4 f*cking years ago is now on the way..game leaves in a few weeks, sold very cheap.

illawarra_steelers
20th November 2016, 08:11 PM
well she is STILL being restored 5 years later..so was supposed to celebrate egg heads 50th birthday when it will be to celebrate her 55th birthday.

repro backglass arrived last week (payed for 4 years ago)..today was about getting the score tray right with pinball rescue decals and rare n.o.s. score and instruction cards..and n.o.s. screws that pinball resource in america unearthed
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron.html

before with original graphics
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15129436_1496068087086658_8877732086185894418_o_zp syq415t75.jpg

installed with new pinball rescue decal, resparayed..actually took the tray back to metal with an orbital sander, 3 of primer then 4 coats of semi gloss white
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15129472_1496067953753338_4259435116751793184_o_zp sw8cuvato.jpg

illawarra_steelers
21st November 2016, 01:09 PM
started working on the stencils today..once again i have nothing to work with except some photos as once the white house paint came off there was no original stencil :(

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15085564_1496826427010824_8418011887653600498_n_zp sunfzicdk.jpg

Fire_Power
21st November 2016, 05:41 PM
well she is STILL being restored 5 years later..so was supposed to celebrate egg heads 50th birthday when it will be to celebrate her 55th birthday. ....

Hey some smart arse suggested it might make it for 55 - see post #80 ;)

illawarra_steelers
21st November 2016, 06:30 PM
Hey some smart arse suggested it might make it for 55 - see post #80 ;)

will go close..next month is her 55th birthday, will finish the cab this week. have reds done and blues go down tomorrow. have the stencils done. last thing will be buy a repro lockdown bar from pbr but will have to
wait until the next order.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15179186_1497171400309660_1827556425212345226_n_zp sadiugcas.jpg

illawarra_steelers
22nd November 2016, 07:27 PM
not happy with the way the cab has turned out so far, so going to strip it back to timber and start again..seriously can't believe it..will be the 3rd f*cking time :cry

jason1
22nd November 2016, 07:45 PM
not happy with the way the cab has turned out so far, so going to strip it back to timber and start again..seriously can't believe it..will be the 3rd f*cking time :cry

I hate that when that happens, Nothing worse than thinking you are close to the finish line and you have to start again.

illawarra_steelers
22nd November 2016, 07:53 PM
I hate that when that happens, Nothing worse than thinking you are close to the finish line and you have to start again.

mate, i am just shattered..just the game that refuses to be finished..i will have to let it sit for a week as i just want to set fire to it at the moment.

JOKERPOKER
22nd November 2016, 09:29 PM

Well that sucks mate. That's the trouble we see all the imperfections more than others.

- - - Updated - - -

mate, i am just shattered..just the game that refuses to be finished..i will have to let it sit for a week as i just want to set fire to it at the moment.

Total fire ban Tony.:D Have a beer instead. :40s:Tomorrow's another day.:056: meant in a manly way. :redface

Gemini2544
23rd November 2016, 11:21 AM
What went wrong on the paint job that would make you do it a 3rd time?

illawarra_steelers
23rd November 2016, 11:59 AM
well as everything is brand new or repro the game has potential to look new when finished..as the game had been just sitting on the floor for the past 3 years the white had become a bit yuck, has some marks etc.

the reds just didn't turn out right, not sure why..even while i was making the stencils kept looking at the base white and kept thinking wasn't happy.

so decided to bite the bullet and will do it again in a few weeks time, at least i have the stencils made up now..so wont be all that much of a hassle..just pulling the game apart again and taking everything off will be a pain in the arse.

illawarra_steelers
21st December 2016, 07:36 PM
the game that just will never be finished but what is this for?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15591521_1539836216043178_944211585272127718_o_zps c0ezlzcd.jpg

thejudge
21st December 2016, 08:13 PM
It looks big enough to be a replacement bottom for the cabinet?
It actually looks like the cover for my kill tank in my boat :D
In other words I have no idea:unsure

nmercury
21st December 2016, 08:30 PM
the game that just will never be finished but what is this for?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15591521_1539836216043178_944211585272127718_o_zps c0ezlzcd.jpg

Is that to cook your snags on when you set it on fire? :lol

illawarra_steelers
21st December 2016, 08:36 PM
Is that to cook your snags on when you set it on fire? :lol

oh god that made me burst out laughing so loudly..so many times have felt like doing that.

another clue, the plate is only about 60x 35cm

Michi
21st December 2016, 08:57 PM
another clue, the plate is only about 60x 35cm

Speaker panel?

Michi.

illawarra_steelers
21st December 2016, 09:02 PM
Speaker panel?

Michi.

on a game from 1961? ;)

Michi
21st December 2016, 09:05 PM
on a game from 1961? ;)

Oops. Blush…

Michi.

nmercury
21st December 2016, 09:42 PM
Just a guess, does it go on the underside of the cabinet to stop people from getting to the coin box??

Autosteve
21st December 2016, 11:37 PM
Is illawarra_steelers 3 foot nothing and needs that plate and a couple of house bricks to play his machine?.

JOKERPOKER
22nd December 2016, 07:06 AM
Just a guess, does it go on the underside of the cabinet to stop people from getting to the coin box??

I think your on the money so +1 to this.

illawarra_steelers
22nd December 2016, 07:27 AM

ha, no..will be a first for this vintage, just a little custom work which will be finished later today.

JOKERPOKER
22nd December 2016, 07:36 AM
ha, no..will be a first for this vintage, just a little custom work which will be finished later today.

Ok I will patiently wait for the photos of the finished product. Now hurry up and get it done cause I have no patience mate!! :rolleyes

Fire_Power
22nd December 2016, 09:59 AM
60 is about pf width so I'm guessing custom top arch - you heathen :077:

illawarra_steelers
22nd December 2016, 10:01 AM
60 is about pf width so I'm guessing custom top arch - you heathen :077:

nearly ;)

narf_
22nd December 2016, 10:28 AM

I had a cab like that and also a eyebolt so suspect was even chained down lol

illawarra_steelers
22nd December 2016, 07:55 PM
well this is where a few hours of today was spent. have been thinking about this for a few years. kept looking at what was there and thought 'bling it out a bit'

so i did.

looks better than what is in the photos but with the mirror blades and new siderails from JPD (thanks again mate :023: )

not totally finished, still need to tighten everthing up.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15697327_1541061232587343_8754849960485399153_n_zp sjrilrkqi.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15591610_1541061285920671_1188381950353566067_o_zp sqqdzuop6.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15591267_1541061375920662_4988216193473752630_o_zp srsdrya1h.jpg

Michi
22nd December 2016, 08:10 PM
Veeeery noice!!! :)

Michi.

thejudge
22nd December 2016, 08:38 PM
Nice touch :)

nmercury
28th December 2016, 10:09 PM
I like it!
look forward to seeing the complete pictures.

JOKERPOKER
29th December 2016, 12:35 PM
well this is where a few hours of today was spent. have been thinking about this for a few years. kept looking at what was there and thought 'bling it out a bit'

so i did.

looks better than what is in the photos but with the mirror blades and new siderails from JPD (thanks again mate :023: )

not totally finished, still need to tighten everthing up.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15697327_1541061232587343_8754849960485399153_n_zp sjrilrkqi.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15591610_1541061285920671_1188381950353566067_o_zp sqqdzuop6.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/15591267_1541061375920662_4988216193473752630_o_zp srsdrya1h.jpg

That looks great Tony. Might have to steal that idea for the CF. Nice thinking out of the box mate.

Rob1966
29th December 2016, 02:38 PM
Don't take this the wrong way because I love iventfulness but and this is only my opinion it doesn't suit the vintage of the machine, i love the mirror blades they look great, but the checker plate just don't look right.
Other than that machine is looking brilliant

illawarra_steelers
26th January 2017, 03:44 PM
after paying for the repro backglass on the 12th October 2012 it finally arrived today (long story)..hopefully it will give the push needed to finish the game

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/16300478_1581472001879599_5916364908211565562_o_zp svqj5w9gn.jpg

Rob1966
26th January 2017, 04:01 PM
Did I just read that right 2012 ? A five year wait after paying, that's taking slowness to a whole new level. What took him so long to post it ?

Rob1966
26th January 2017, 04:03 PM
Sorry just read the long story bit, you don't have to explain

illawarra_steelers
26th January 2017, 05:30 PM
Did I just read that right 2012 ? A five year wait after paying, that's taking slowness to a whole new level. What took him so long to post it ?

yeah mate, that year was 2012. i had it promised to have it loaded into a container that was coming to australia. it sat in a warehouse in chicago all that time..had to move heaven and earth to get it here..just for the recored it wasn't backglass restro

Gottlieb Gary
13th February 2017, 12:35 PM
G'day Tony,
First I've visited this thread in a few years. That playfield looks awesome populated. Just keep givin' it the final push mate so you can play it!

illawarra_steelers
15th February 2017, 12:27 PM
up for sale..asking $1,600