PDA

View Full Version : New addition .. Old Chicago

goodolddays
8th December 2011, 01:09 PM
Picked this up from Daniel (Borgattard) .

Won't be playing it till
1) Replace power cord
2) Strip, clean and wax the playfield
3) Give her a full mechanical overhaul.

Playfield has wear around the upper post above the flippers and a bit of planking, otherwise pretty good.
Backglass condition is one of the best I've seen.

Cab is pretty faded , especially front and one side .

Will post some more pics when I make some progress on the tidyup.

Fish Tales
8th December 2011, 01:34 PM
I am pretty much single-eyed gottlieb when it comes to EMs, but this pin really does it for me. Am sure it will look sweet for ya.
:)

JOKERPOKER
8th December 2011, 01:50 PM
Played this many years ago and still have fond memories:redface

rod71
8th December 2011, 02:21 PM
I am pretty much single-eyed gottlieb when it comes to EMs, but this pin really does it for me. Am sure it will look sweet for ya.
:)

+1. The whole John Dillinger gangster theme and the Jumping Jack lower playfield does it for me. :cool:

Fire_Power
8th December 2011, 05:25 PM
Looks a nice pin Dave - the BG is great. Look forward to seeing the progress pics.

goodolddays
9th December 2011, 07:35 AM
+1. The whole John Dillinger gangster theme and the Jumping Jack lower playfield does it for me. :cool:

Yeah .. when i saw this for sale I couldn't resist it . Its a great looking game and bonus that the BG is in excellent shape.

Made a start yesterday afternoon on the tidy up.

Replaced the original power cord. Started stripping the playfield . Playfield is dirty which is a good reason not to play this game yet. Also looks like pretty much every plunger has been lubricated :( so will be stripping and cleaning all mechanicals (which I planned to do anyway). By doing a full mechanical overhaul you know the exact condition of your game.

Here's a couple of pics of where I'm up to so far . The wear above the flippers is much more evident now in the 1st pic.
Hoping to remove most of the inground dirt with careful use of ME and Eucalyptus oil . Will be attempting to touch up the wear areas . Fortunately all inserts are pretty level so won't have to remove/reseat those.

Flippers are original so a new flipper kit will be installed (I do this with every game I buy now) and all bumper skirts need replacing .
I will be trying to spend no more than $100 on replacement parts (fingers crossed)

rod71
9th December 2011, 08:11 AM
Good start :)

Usually the collect bonus text below the centre kick out is hammered on these. Oh, and be sure to get rid of those Gottlieb flipper batts :cool:

goodolddays
9th December 2011, 04:01 PM
Good start :)

Usually the collect bonus text below the centre kick out is hammered on these. Oh, and be sure to get rid of those Gottlieb flipper batts :cool:

Yeah Rod, the Gottlieb bats will be replaced , one is cracked anyway.

Railways
9th December 2011, 09:03 PM
Nice pickup Dave, I saw one of these at a local guys place in bits a year ago and thought it would be a nice player. Enjoy.

illawarra_steelers
10th December 2011, 10:04 AM
Very nice Dave,

This game doesn't turn up for sale often and you did well on the price.

So what are yor plans from here? Do you have the nerve to respray this? ;) Noticed you mentioned not wanting to sink much more cash into this but for around $100 extra dollars you could really make this shine. Repro Pinball Rescue decals for both the card tray and spinner, repro bumper caps (only $5 each!), new posts and possibly new targets - go on I dare you :)

goodolddays
10th December 2011, 11:00 AM
Gday Tony .
Yes, I think its a good one to add to my small collection .

Thinking about redoing the cabinet , but will probably play it for a while first.
Unfortunately Pinball Rescue don't have the correct Apron decal for this title, but luckily the apron is in good condition ( 9/10) . Will grab the spinner decals when they become available.
Already putting together a parts list .. think I will be blowing my $100 budget a bit :lol

goodolddays
27th December 2011, 08:38 PM
Progress update .
Finished under the playfield last week and finally finished all the score reels today . :D
Have decided I will be repainting the cabinet before putting the machine back together :o

goodolddays
6th January 2012, 07:40 PM
Stencils are done and just finished removing the siderails (one of my least favorite jobs)

illawarra_steelers
6th January 2012, 10:36 PM
Stencils are done and just finished removing the siderails (one of my least favorite jobs)

Oh your a brave man taking that on ;)

Looking forward to more progress and the stress ahead :)

Fire_Power
7th January 2012, 08:46 AM
Good on you for going for the repaint. You can see how good the original colouring looks under the coin door surrounds and legs, so it'll be worth it.

Keep the pics coming, particularly during the repaint progress. I'm building up courage (or stupidity) to have a go at one!

goodolddays
7th January 2012, 02:59 PM
Past the point of no return .. now for some sanding

goodolddays
18th January 2012, 03:43 PM
Well I'm getting there with the repaint , just have the purple left to go on and a couple of mistakes to touch up.
Unfortunately I lost a bit of paint on the RHS when removing the contact so am now using Franklins contact (a bit less sticky)

Do you think I should leave the neck purple or paint it black like the factory job ?

Fish Tales
18th January 2012, 03:54 PM
reckon the purple would look better, the original in black doesnt really match

clarky351
18th January 2012, 05:55 PM
I'd go with the purple :-)

Fire_Power
18th January 2012, 07:05 PM
Looks great Dave. I'm a fan of leaving things original, but don't think anyone would notice.

rod71
18th January 2012, 07:23 PM
Black for me, as it tends to hide the neck which doesn't need to be seen. The focus should be on the glass which in this case is awesome :)

em_pins
19th January 2012, 05:31 AM
Great work ! I would go with the purple, to tie in with the cabinet & head colours.

goodolddays
19th January 2012, 04:33 PM
Almost there now . Decided to leave the neck Maroon .. 2/3 of those who replied agree :)
Got a few touchups to do and unfortunately , despite sealing the edges 1st I still managed to get a bit of bleed with the Maroon (eg on the front LHS). Then need to spray the whole thing with some gloss clear.

I didn't notice a mistake with the pattern till right at the end .. can anyone spot it ?
Its not a perfect job but heaps better than the original faded cab. :D
I think all the hours of work (at least 24 hrs) was worth it.
Can't wait to get it all back together again and see how it looks (let alone plays )

rod71
19th January 2012, 05:01 PM
Cant spot the pattern mistake. But I reckon you might have had better luck laying the maroon down before the yellow.

goodolddays
19th January 2012, 06:23 PM
Cant spot the pattern mistake. But I reckon you might have had better luck laying the maroon down before the yellow.

Yeah .. the factory job had the Maroon before the Yellow .. will see how i go with the touchups .:rolleyes

illawarra_steelers
19th January 2012, 07:00 PM
Looks fantastic Dave! :cool:

Think the neck looks best maroon - how excellent is it going to look when she is all back together.

Um....what about the Thoro Bred :lol

goodolddays
19th January 2012, 07:59 PM
Looks fantastic Dave! :cool:

Think the neck looks best maroon - how excellent is it going to look when she is all back together.

Um....what about the Thoro Bred :lol

Thanks Tony . Yep , Thoro Bred is next . :redface Looking forward to playing that game.

Railways
21st January 2012, 11:50 AM
Looks great and now it just needs some shiny new rails to finish it off;)

goodolddays
22nd January 2012, 01:10 PM
The playboard wasn't too bad , but thought I might as well clean it up while its out of the cab.

I'm waiting on a couple of parts orders anyway.

I stripped everything off, laquered the timber, cleaned everything and reassembled .

goodolddays
27th January 2012, 05:57 PM
Before and after of the front of the cab

Railways
27th January 2012, 06:01 PM
Awesome difference Dave, very nice indeed:)

goodolddays
27th January 2012, 06:10 PM
Awesome difference Dave, very nice indeed:)

Thanks Jeff . No sign of your rails as yet though :(

rod71
27th January 2012, 06:18 PM
Looking good. That coin door looks minty :cool:

Fire_Power
27th January 2012, 07:27 PM
Such a big turn around for the whole game, looks great Dave.

Keep the pics coming, the side by side before and after are great for showing how good it's looking.

Railways
27th January 2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks Jeff . No sign of your rails as yet though :( I'm betting Monday or tuesday.I'll check with e.go 1st thing monday for an update/tracking.

illawarra_steelers
27th January 2012, 09:37 PM
Fantastic mate...just one suggestion - have you thought about adding a Bally front door sticker? They only cost about $8 and that will finish the front. Pinball Rescue sell them.

goodolddays
28th January 2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the comments guys . Glad you like it

More updates soon .

gruntcake
28th January 2012, 03:48 PM
Nice job! What sort of paint have you used on the cabinet?

goodolddays
28th January 2012, 04:08 PM
Nice job! What sort of paint have you used on the cabinet?

Paint is Taubmans Wall paint .
I don't have a compressor so just use a roller .
Then spray a Gloss clear acrylic over the finished cab .
Keep telling myself I'm not doing any more cab repaints (too much work) so don't need to invest in a compressor.

goodolddays
7th February 2012, 02:00 PM
PBR order came today so now I can finish this game :) and finally also my Thoro Bred :)

illawarra_steelers
7th February 2012, 02:06 PM
happy to see you blow the $100 budget dave! wow this is going to be some game once done

goodolddays
11th February 2012, 05:06 PM
Finally got this game back together .
It looks great but unfortunately doesn't work yet :(
Looks like switches out of adjustment on one (or more) of the 16 score reels :redface... maybe something else wrong too .
Anyway, here's a pic of the playfield now . :)
I really should do something about the 1,000 point writing on the bottom outlanes but its a bit hard for me .
Still need to tidy up the spinner . Might spring for new drop targets with my next PBR order . Didn't think I'd need them but with new rubber and new white posts they look too yellow.

goodolddays
11th February 2012, 05:08 PM
Forgot to mention PBR made a mistake with my order . They are sending me a 3rd 10 pt bumper cap.

Fire_Power
11th February 2012, 07:42 PM
I really should do something about the 1,000 point writing on the bottom outlanes but its a bit hard for me .
Still need to tidy up the spinner . Might spring for new drop targets with my next PBR order . Didn't think I'd need them but with new rubber and new white posts they look too yellow.

Looks really good Dave. For the 1,000 point text on the outlanes,maybe scan and remove with a razor then some water slide decal?
I've done the same thing as you and not ordered a full part set and then regretted how the non replaced stuff stood out - it can be hard to convince yourself to buy everything when the order $ is mounting up ...

goodolddays
15th February 2012, 04:01 PM
Looks really good Dave. For the 1,000 point text on the outlanes,maybe scan and remove with a razor then some water slide decal?
I've done the same thing as you and not ordered a full part set and then regretted how the non replaced stuff stood out - it can be hard to convince yourself to buy everything when the order $ is mounting up ...
Thanks for the suggestion Dave :)

goodolddays
15th February 2012, 04:24 PM
Today I've fitted new repro side rails from Rail - Ways (thanks Jeff) and a Bally door sticker (kindly donated by Jeff).

Finished debugging the faults so this game is now pretty much finished .

Next up will be Gottlieb Thoro Bred.

Here's a couple of pics

Railways
15th February 2012, 05:03 PM
Very nice Dave, looks brand new. You've gotta be proud of that and now you get to play it,well done:023:

illawarra_steelers
15th February 2012, 06:17 PM
Very very nice, gotta say your a brave man undertaking that design on the cab.

What is it like to play?

Once again well done Dave, was just looking at the original photos in the first post, your game has sure come along way.

goodolddays
15th February 2012, 07:21 PM
Cheers guys .

Haven't had time to play it today .. working tonight .

goodolddays
23rd February 2012, 10:27 AM
For those interested here is a list of parts that went into this game

New Repro side rails (and nails)
New Pop Bumper caps, bodies, skirts, springs and spoons
All new 1inch white playfield posts
New rubber ring kit
Full Flipper rebuild kit
New Flipper shafts and bats
New coil sleeves
New flipper cabinet switches
New lane guides

Fire_Power
23rd February 2012, 11:32 AM
Money well spent I say, it looks great.

balls of steel
19th March 2012, 10:34 PM
Nice result Dave,now I am inspired to do something with my Old Chicago,a huge challenge lol35851

JOKERPOKER
20th March 2012, 08:26 AM
Today I've fitted new repro side rails from Rail - Ways (thanks Jeff) and a Bally door sticker (kindly donated by Jeff).

Finished debugging the faults so this game is now pretty much finished .

Next up will be Gottlieb Thoro Bred.

Here's a couple of pics

That's come up a treat Dave you must be very happy with the results.:D

femto
20th March 2012, 06:35 PM
That is a very nice job you have done there. One question I have is you mentioned Contact at the start of this....what do you do with contact when painting the cab?

goodolddays
23rd March 2012, 09:17 AM
Nice result Dave,now I am inspired to do something with my Old Chicago,a huge challenge lol35851

That one definitely needs a repaint !

That is a very nice job you have done there. One question I have is you mentioned Contact at the start of this....what do you do with contact when painting the cab?

I use the 'Millsy" method for cab repaints . (Below is cut/paste from one of Millsy's helpful posts.. )

1. Trace original artwork.
2. Lay the tracing on top of card board & using a fine point pen & ruler/straight edge, start tracing using a lot of pressure,the INPRINT will show on the cardboard, Discard greaseproof paper and redraw onto card board. Grab a SHARP hobby knife & cut out the stencil.
3. Lay the cardboard stencil over the BB/Cab and draw it onto the painted BB/Cab using a lead pencil (This can be removed easily with a stanard pencil eraser)
4. Get some clear adhesive from Woolies & apply it completely on the surface making sure all air is out of it over the artwork you are doing.
5. Grab the hobby knife with a new sharp blade & cut out,dont worry about going into wood,then pull the cut pieces out.(If their are more than 1 colour to do, only cut 1 colour at a time) I then, using my finger to run along edges to make sure well stuck.
6. Now this is very important, to help to eliminate bleed, apply the 3in 1 sealer over the exposed area to be painted, when dry apply the colour. If more than 1 colour,remove contact & let 1st color dry for a day or so, Reapply contact over the complete surface,including over the first color, Follow exacty the same process as you did apply the first colour.