PDA

View Full Version : People don't get pinball these days

Darksoul
6th November 2011, 10:13 AM
I supplied some pins to my daughter's school fete this weekend. Some of the comments have been an education.

Couple of kids played a few games and said that it was easier and better on the PS2. :(
A dad in his late 20's put his daugher in front of a game and told her these were "really old" games (it was a TAF). :(
Heard another guy talking to someone saying they were a bit like poker machines! :huh: I have NFI what he was on about.

Have had a few people few who were keen to talk pin though. A coulpe have talked about having pin in their houses as kids years ago. One older man said his dad had a few in the shed that they got rid of when he died, were the old push up ball styles. A woman helping at the fete has a Galaga cocktail in her shed as well she does not use. I might have to work on her to see if she wants to sell it. Seems there is still a lot of arcade stuff squirreled away in sheds and homes, just waiting to be draggged out and sold.

Fish Tales
6th November 2011, 10:21 AM
pin2k may have went down better with them then

kayakkingoz
6th November 2011, 10:27 AM
I couldnt believe it the other night when trick or treat kids didnt want a game:unsure

SpiritOf'76
6th November 2011, 10:33 AM
I supplied some pins to my daughter's school fete this weekend. Some of the comments have been an education.

Couple of kids played a few games and said that it was easier and better on the PS2. :(
A dad in his late 20's put his daugher in front of a game and told her these were "really old" games (it was a TAF). :(
Heard another guy talking to someone saying they were a bit like poker machines! :huh: I have NFI what he was on about.

Have had a few people few who were keen to talk pin though. A coulpe have talked about having pin in their houses as kids years ago. One older man said his dad had a few in the shed that they got rid of when he died, were the old push up ball styles. A woman helping at the fete has a Galaga cocktail in her shed as well she does not use. I might have to work on her to see if she wants to sell it. Seems there is still a lot of arcade stuff squirreled away in sheds and homes, just waiting to be draggged out and sold.

Maybe that dad in his 20's would appreciate pinball more if he concentrated on playing that when he was younger rather than playing women and popping out kids

Homepin
6th November 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not surprised. Pinball is a pretty 'niche' hobby market really.

I couldn't be less interested in things like football, cricket, swimming, stamp collecting, kayaking, mushroom hunting, bell ringing, and a zillion other past times that are boring 'to me'.

I could be persuaded into modelling (of most types), pinball (naturally) arcade games in general - so I guess it's 'horses for courses' - well it would be but I don't like horse racing either :lol

Pop Bumper Pete
6th November 2011, 11:33 AM
Not surprised
I mention pinball to some of my customers, some are ‘Wow that is cool’, others are ‘did you see the football on the weekend?’

But I think it is about whatever excites you, a well rounded person should have an interest in something that would bore the other 90% of the poulation

Left jump left 1P
6th November 2011, 12:07 PM
I set up all my games in the garage for my daughters 1st birthday party a few months ago. The line up was 1 LW3 Pinball and half a dozen video games. I was amazed that the older kids (7-10yo's) were really into it all. I thought the kids would bag it out and wouldn't be interested unless it was a current gen console with the latest game. But they totally loved them, the Pin in particular and they played it non-stop for the entire party. They only stopped for a quick bite of food and drink and maybe the odd toilet break! Even the little toddlers wanted a go and had to get a parent to lift them up on a stool or something!

The parents also loved them all, the Pin got the most attention still. I was really surprised at how all age groups still loved them. Several adults left wanting to buy one and asked me to let them know if I saw a good one.

EM Addict
6th November 2011, 03:51 PM
Funny some people get pinball and some dont.It is something that frustrates me quite a bit.
I have a friend I have known for twenty years who I have tried to convert many times over the years and failed every time.
I am flat out talking him into playing a game and when he does he will often stand back and watch the ball flying around between bumpers and say"Look the thing plays itself, nothing to it is there", as he even stands away from the machine with hands free, not over the flipper buttons.
He often will remark " you never grew up, still enjoying your childhood" when talking about my games and happy to do this in front of others.(lucky he has some good qualities)
I always say well that's the whole point.With all the stress of adult life who wouldn't want to escape now and then with a harmless game of pinball.He still doesn't see it:realmad:

sa_arcade_party_hire
6th November 2011, 03:59 PM

Nice to see some ppl doing something for their local community...nobody appreciates pinball these days. I thought your Whitewater was the best..its my favorite machine...once again good work...AA members should all be upstanding pillars of the community. Regards ME "ps vote 1 me for Admin"

GORGAR 1
6th November 2011, 04:10 PM
Not surprised my 14 and 12 year olds arnt interested anymore there ps3 and Nintendo ds are much more popular and even friends in there 40's like the look but playing there not really interested .

Peter

Not Matt
6th November 2011, 04:16 PM
I'm in my mid 20s and I didn't like pinball as a kid. I just didn't 'get' it. It was only after hanging around a bunch of pinheads (:lol) that it finally clicked and now I can't get enough. Most of my friends haven't got a clue!

Darksoul
6th November 2011, 04:43 PM
Here are the takings for today - 6 hrs.

White Water $40
Dr Who $46
Addams Family $49

And a big thanks to Judgeboz and 380Degrees (Damo) for helping me move them to and from the fete.

SPURR
6th November 2011, 05:03 PM
I was looking at Wotto's photos from the USA and there was a few pictures of some pinball collections or arcades and I noticed that the place was totally deserted.
But when it comes to pinball we all know what there all missing out on.

Womble
6th November 2011, 05:03 PM
I like the look of pinball machines and the technical side of them but playing the bores my bollocks off.

Hashman
6th November 2011, 05:25 PM
Wife and I went to Time Zone in Forest Hill today. I just wanted to play some pins. Joint was packed and no one playing the Avatar and Family Guy machines. Lucky for me people had also left credits on them. I still find them more fun than challening that video games but boy the Avatar pin felt sooo cheaply made!

bigALshoalhaven
6th November 2011, 05:41 PM
i'm lucky ive only had positive reactions to my pins so far.nearly all positive comments. almost everybody wants to play them. aged 5-55
people either show a positive reaction or a couldn't care less attitude about them

Hollo
6th November 2011, 05:42 PM
I have never had any pinballs (mainly due to the maintenance scaring the crap out of me), but I spent small fortunes on BlackNight, EarthShaker, and Funhouse onsite - would love to own any/all of these machines (plus a Funhouse) one day, but I can definitely understand why people today don't really get them though.

Video games have core gameplay mechanics that vary between machines to add variety and suck people in, whereas pinnies (due to real world physics) have the same core gameplay and the joy seems to come from understanding the rules to the point where you know how to progress. The trouble is that to understand a pinnie to the point of enjoyment it takes a fair while, but video games for the most part the enjoyment comes straight away.

pinsanity
6th November 2011, 06:10 PM

White Water $40
Dr Who $46
Addams Family $49

And a big thanks to Judgeboz and 380Degrees (Damo) for helping me move them to and from the fete.

Maybe better luck at a *cough* garage sale? ;)

Pash
6th November 2011, 06:19 PM
I must say anybody who hears I've got pinballs just in idle cconversation, ask why? Some are in disbelief that I have a pinball machine let alone a few. I've also got arcade machines but the pinballs are what really surprise people. Anytime I've had visitors over be it friends of mine or friends of the kids, the pinballs get a fair workout. Even my mother in law loves to play them on the rare occasion she visits. Though she prefers a dmd machine over the solid state machines.

The main thing I've found is that people are more inclined to try pinball and have a good go at it if it doesn't cost them a cent to try. They can build their confidence up playing and getting to grips with the pinball without costing a small fortune. Given that some first time players might have 5+ games, or even multiples of that. They are more inclined to have a game or two on location then after gaining some confidence playing some machines for free. Admittedly some sited machines may sour some peoples impressions of pinball altogether which is a shame.

I know my kids love going out to the games room and having a bash on the machines, pinball and arcade. Though love playing the old and the new. They also love playing mini comps with dad and mum and sometimes kicking our asses. I've still got a video of when my eldest got her name up on Jackbot. Took me bloody ages to knock her name off. Don't know how much longer that'll last for though. The kids also love seeing and playing other peoples machines. They had a ball playing Illawarra Steelers pinballs on one occasion we visited.

blue95
6th November 2011, 06:32 PM
It is possible to convert people. Clarky351 was into arcade games, then one time here having a few games on my machines and before you know it he has 5 and a new room.

ROLLERBALL
6th November 2011, 07:09 PM
I'm not surprised. Pinball is a pretty 'niche' hobby market really.

I couldn't be less interested in things like football, cricket, swimming, stamp collecting, kayaking, mushroom hunting, bell ringing

Cmon....
who is not into BELL RINGING.....lolol:lol:lol:lol

pinsanity
6th November 2011, 07:39 PM

The Pinny Parlour
6th November 2011, 08:15 PM
I've waited 5 years to shoehorn this into a thread...thanks RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLNoiXD4eM

Champagne comedy.

Monocle & Top-hat for you sir. Well done.

http://i.imgur.com/TpaTL.png

P.S. Have a fine walking cane as well.

stuba
6th November 2011, 08:16 PM
faarck, $126 brad :redface
you probably should have cooked a few batches of scones instead. ;)
some people get 'it' but they are few and far between. most of the people (not including you guys) that come here think i'm nuts.
i dunno. how marginal will it be when we're gone.

JOKERPOKER
6th November 2011, 08:33 PM
Mine go down a treat at christmas.All the nieces and nephews brothers seem to love them.just the novelty factor i guess.Even the early em's get as much a caning as the later sterns. Age bracket 7 thru to 23.:114:

Homepin
6th November 2011, 08:43 PM
Love the bell ringing - maybe I'll have to change and take it up :lol:lol:lol

LOTR4U
6th November 2011, 09:05 PM
OMG :o make it stoppppppppp!

face facts, kids are not into pins realistically. given the choice they will pickup a console anyway over a pin. nothing anyone will do will change that.

ROLLERBALL
6th November 2011, 09:11 PM
OMG :o make it stoppppppppp!

face facts, kids are not into pins realistically. given the choice they will pickup a console anyway over a pin. nothing anyone will do will change that.

Given the choice Piffy would pickup the bells over a console or a pin......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

devil rider
6th November 2011, 09:30 PM
chopped from my Halloween thread : with an intention to put my CFTBL out for the T&T crew to try pinball.........

the 1st wave of kids were offered a Chuppa Chup or a few games.......guess what they chose :lol :huh:

subsequently the dormant CREATURE returned to the "lagoon" inside

after dinner , the second wave of "bigger kids" came by so I got the garage door up and even had a 1 player want to step up for a go..........

I asked him "have you ever played a pinball machine"

"Sure!" he says "on the XBox"

So I turned on PINBALL CHAMP 82 and clock a credit up (no freeplay for the Italians)

The kid looks perplexed, so I push the "start" button & the ball loads up at the plunger

The kid looks perplexed....and tries to push the plunger into the machine over & over to get the ball to move

So I show him how to pull the plunger back...."oh, yeah, right he says"

So the ball gets up the lane, it jumps around the jets a bit and then bounce, bounce, bounce like a bagatelle
and rolls down between the flippers........

I says "you got to hit the ball buddy, you know, with the flippers"

The kid looks perplexed, launches the ball again & starts tapping on the lock down bar in an attempt to
get the flips going........so I show him the buttons on the side of the CAB, "yeah right" he says and starts
hitting both buttons in rapid motion, while the ball is in the jets

So I say, "shall I show you how its done" and he says "OK"

The kid played a few games and said it was the coolest place he and his sister had been and asked me to take
a picture & send it to his phone so he could show his mum

Bet he can wait to play pinball again..............on the XBOX

DR

Mr Pubstuff
6th November 2011, 09:44 PM
well as mentioned elsewhere, we had my lads b/day here a few weeks ago. 33 kids 5-7, mainly 6. they couldnt get enough. even when we distracted them outside with games, they wanted back in to play more and most of the parents were so interested and trying to invite themselves around hehe.

im more worried about homepin into most modelling. . i dont want to ever see you as naughty neighbour of the week in some cheap and tawdry publication mike! :)

twobobsworth
7th November 2011, 08:49 PM

White Water $40
Dr Who $46
Addams Family $49

So $135 for the day. If you managed to do that on both saturday & sunday every weekend that's over $14K for the year or 3 times the cost of your pins.

Fair Dinkum Dan
7th November 2011, 10:56 PM

White Water $40
Dr Who $46
Addams Family $49

On average, that's about $7.50 per hour per machine. Oh, and the total was $135, Stu. ;) Not bad for 6 hours in my opinion for the first attempt. Also, that's probably $135 more than they would of got, if you didn't have the pinballs there. :)

You will unfortunately get the occasional weird comments. Heck, you get a few on here occasionally from people, lol.

Just like Aussie Arcade has tried to nuture a good community and hold meets where members go and have a great time sharing their passion, it is great when people come come up with new and innovative ideas to push pinball back into the limelight. Like most things, it doesn't happen overnight. You do have to start somewhere and I think it was a great idea and it was fantastic that you tried it, Brad. Onya John and Damo for helping out too. :023:

Not all things are a great success at first, but through perserverance, more education and initatives, where finding ways of improving the ideas or implementing new strategies may help to make it better next time round. Kudos for trying.

Cheers,

Dan

felixthadog
8th November 2011, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLNoiXD4eM

:lol

I wondered what ever happened to Piffy?

Matthew

Homepin
8th November 2011, 08:40 AM
:lol

I wondered what ever happened to Piffy?

Matthew

As of July 2011, Remi owns and recently opened Central, a lounge and dining bar in Surfers Paradise, on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remi_Broadway

:lol:lol:lol I'm glad I started this..........sort of :redface

Left jump left 1P
8th November 2011, 08:53 AM
hahaha, omg I had totally forgotten about that kid! What a blast from the past! :lol

Darksoul
8th November 2011, 10:07 AM
Just like Aussie Arcade has tried to nuture a good community and hold meets where members go and have a great time sharing their passion, it is great when people come come up with new and innovative ideas to push pinball back into the limelight.

Thanks Dan. Boz told me one kid came up to him and said he'd pumped $6 into a machine (I think it was Dr Who). So it was good to see at least a few "got it".

One kid jammed the coin mechs on WH2O with 10 cent pieces. Little bastard! :D