PDA

View Full Version : Xbox (Classic) Modding Help

Tipus4u
29th September 2011, 01:16 PM
As a total noob to Xbox's, would like some advice to which way to go for my Xbox.

I basically want to play the games I already have, and turn it into a networked video player, plus add a larger HDD.

I have read about the softmods and still lost on some of the instructions.

Installing a Modchip seems to be easy (Have 23yrs soldering to Milspec standard), but not sure about upgrading the HDD.

Suggestions on easy ways for both will be great.

Mr Pubstuff
29th September 2011, 01:32 PM
milspec? we make punches/tooling for them. loads of guys will be able to help on the xbox work as ive asked in the past and was offered assistance when i needed it (altho its back to ps2 at present)

Tipus4u
29th September 2011, 02:21 PM
My soldering was to the military specifications (milspec) with multilayer board training.
Thought I would start on one of my projects while I have my MAME CP on hold for material.
Next projects are to my MD2 and PS2, then repair my LAI Outrun Sitdown cab.

Davefjedi
29th September 2011, 02:27 PM
Download slayers install cd for xbox after you have it chipped wack in a bigger drive and away you go

bennyfactor
29th September 2011, 02:30 PM
if you put in a modchip then swapping the hdd is a piece of cake
you just install the new hdd and boot from the slayers disc to format and setup the drive
pm me post again if you've got any specific questions ;)

Krumm
29th September 2011, 03:07 PM
Pretty much whats been said above, the mod chip allows you to run unsigned code so it allows you to burn an installer such as Slayers EvoX 2.7 (I think was the last version) and from there you can get drive keys, nand dumps and do whatever else, been quite a while since ive done it but i suggest reading up on a few tutes first to understand what / why you do certain things incase problems occur.

Jaympee
29th September 2011, 04:24 PM
I went the softmod path. Does everything I need. And it was free!
Check out this guide.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055256404

MangledLeg
29th September 2011, 05:04 PM
I softmodded as well - I have a serial-based probe to dump the BIOS off the Xbox, then I build a HDD image, burn it to a bootable CD and run Xbox HDD Maker with an IDE HDD hooked up to my primary IDE channel to do the rest.

That being said, if you look through some old posts I ended munting an Xbox's HDD in the process when I was still learnin:P

You can also do the hot-swap method, which is what Jaympee has linked to.

Mind, the chip+slayers is probably a helluva lot easier ;)

BTW, great to have someone on the boards with awesome soldering skills. You'd make my soldering work look like a POS I reckon ;)

Davefjedi
29th September 2011, 05:25 PM
It is fun fiddling with the xboxes I never have before only buggered 2 so far :redface

Tipus4u
29th September 2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info so far.
My local supplier of retro stuff had a DuoX3 (Xbox) and Modbo4 (PS2) mod chips in stock and sold them to me for $10 each (VIP Customer. LOL)
No just have to find the latest Slayer disk, and then find my soldering station.

Jaympee
30th September 2011, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the info so far.
My local supplier of retro stuff had a DuoX3 (Xbox) and Modbo4 (PS2) mod chips in stock and sold them to me for $10 each (VIP Customer. LOL)
No just have to find the latest Slayer disk, and then find my soldering station.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/tools/slayers-evox-auto-installer-27/

MangledLeg
30th September 2011, 07:40 PM
Jim beat me to it! :)

Tipus4u
1st October 2011, 09:06 AM
Was looking around and found "Auto Installer Deluxe" and would like to know if that is a better option as it has more up to date files.
I have downloaded the Slayers disk ISO thanks to Jaympee.

Thanks for all the info and help so far.

Tipus4u
3rd October 2011, 11:27 PM
I managed to get some free time today and installed the Duo X3 I picked up.
After a few minor hiccups I got it to work.
I found an old 80Gb HDD sitting in the cupboard, so I installed it and used the Slayers Disc.
All boots nice and even backed-up Burnout 3 on the HDD and had a few games.
Next is to set up the wireless router to the main home router so I transfer movie files across and start using it as a media center.

So big thanks to all those that helped me to get this working.

Davefjedi
4th October 2011, 06:15 AM
Dont even bother xfering the movies to the Xbox (Unless its p0Rn :laugh:) they take up valuable iso space you can just map a shared drive on your pc and stream it

mamejay
4th October 2011, 08:13 AM
Dont even bother xfering the movies to the Xbox (Unless its p0Rn :laugh:) they take up valuable iso space you can just map a shared drive on your pc and stream it
+1 on that!! Also setup the IMDB cover scanning where the XBOX will scour the net and grab the movie covers for you. Looks pretty slick once all covers are downloaded.

Davefjedi
4th October 2011, 11:17 AM
+1 on that!! Also setup the IMDB cover scanning where the XBOX will scour the net and grab the movie covers for you. Looks pretty slick once all covers are downloaded.

How the hell do you do that ??????? didnt know you could do that

mamejay
4th October 2011, 11:32 AM
When you are browsing to your network you highlight the movies folder and there is a button on the XBOX DVD remote that you push for options. Forgot which one. From there you can actually set content of the folder and select from a bunch of sites to get the information such as IMDB, TV.com etc.
As long as the movie titles have the name and the year ( XMEN (2011) ) it should pickup the cover information etc. You can also select different types of info to download such as actors and movie reviews.
You don;t always need the year of release it just helps when there are multiple movies made in different years such as re-released movies (King kong etc)

You will end up with something like this.
http://www.lifehacker.com/assets/resources/2008/05/xbmc-dvds-01.png

Tipus4u
4th October 2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for that info Mamejay.
Once my remote turns up in the mail then I will look at setting it up.

mamejay
4th October 2011, 12:08 PM
You can still do it using your regular game controls. Just have a play. You will work it out.

@lien_Zed
4th October 2011, 02:10 PM
this may help

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/45031-XBOX-mod-chips.-Aladdin-XT-PLUS2.-12-delivered!!!

Mickey Juice
4th November 2011, 11:39 AM
Anyone know if you can format locked xbox hard drives without the original xbox for use in a PC?

Davefjedi
4th November 2011, 11:59 AM
Anyone know if you can format locked xbox hard drives without the original xbox for use in a PC?
There is a boot cd available will look when I get hom plug the drive in to the pc and boot from the cd but you should just beable to format without it

deans_modchips
4th November 2011, 12:49 PM

you can't format a locked hard drive unless you unlock it first and the only way I know off unlocking it, is with the orginal xbox the hdd come out of.

Mickey Juice
4th November 2011, 03:03 PM
you can't format a locked hard drive unless you unlock it first and the only way I know off unlocking it, is with the orginal xbox the hdd come out of.

Bugger :(

NMD
4th November 2011, 03:04 PM
Can i borrow some soldering skills plz? I usually burn the wire or my fingers :lol

Jaympee
4th November 2011, 04:36 PM
There is this, but it will cost you. I'm sure there would be something free out there. No time to look at the moment.
http://www.hddunlock.com/download/

Ryan555
4th November 2011, 10:14 PM
I could be wrong but I thought you could unlock a XBOX HDD with HDD maker as long as you had the EEPROM key?

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article849.html

Jaympee
5th November 2011, 08:21 AM
I could be wrong but I thought you could unlock a XBOX HDD with HDD maker as long as you had the EEPROM key?

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article849.html

Yes you can, thats how I've done mine. But I reckon Mickey said he didnt have the original xbox.

lilcuda
5th November 2011, 11:05 AM
If by chance the xbox drive has been rebuilt before with xboxhdm than it should have a master key to unlock it with, XBOXSCENE .

ocdcsv
5th November 2011, 11:22 AM
also some drives have a master OEM password like WDWDWDWDWD for western digital etc.
Look around for the model and master password and see what comes up.

Also if it came from a modded xbox search for password for slayers etc for what their password is.

One Xbox drive needed a TTL chip to communicate in debug mode and unlock the drive.

Once unlocked you can do what you want with it

Jaympee
5th November 2011, 12:17 PM
I've seen one for seagate as well. Seagate +25 spaces. (yes, spacebar 25 times).