PDA

View Full Version : New Gottlieb System 3 side rails

humpalot
26th August 2011, 02:58 PM
After a few messages back and forward to Jeff (JPD), I was lucky enough to talk him into getting me a set of new side rails for a Gottlieb system 3. As anyone who has ever seen a Gottlieb system 3 will know the original side rails are crap and are always rusty.

I thought that I would share before and after pictures for everyone to look at.

I should point out that these are proto type rails to suit a system 3 and are not the final product that Jeff may produce in the future if there is enough interest.

Yes the rails are shiny, but to be honest I love the look and think that it add's a bit bling to the game. I have since polished up the lockdown bar to match.

I like the appearance of the shiny rails that much that when I re paint my Joker Poker I'd like to use ones with the same appearance.

A big thanks to Jeff :041:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx210/humpalot/before.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx210/humpalot/after.jpg

rod71
26th August 2011, 03:14 PM
Very cool!
Defiantly a weak point on the sys 3's.

Had a CBW in the 90's that i let a friend babysit for a couple of months in his garage. Rails started rusting in no time.

Fish Tales
26th August 2011, 04:16 PM
they mustave used some shitty stainless on those sys3s, new ones make a huge difference!

humpalot
26th August 2011, 05:02 PM
they mustave used some shitty stainless on those sys3s, new ones make a huge difference!

That's the problem, system 3 are not stainless they are a shitty chrome.

slevbro
26th August 2011, 05:16 PM
looks very good, origanal or not those look so much better shinny.
with nails Jeff, i think the no nail hole ones look better
Dom

Jango
26th August 2011, 05:33 PM
I am interested in a set of these if they come with no holes? Does he do them without holes? BTW - whats the cost of these?

humpalot
26th August 2011, 05:55 PM
I am interested in a set of these if they come with no holes? Does he do them without holes? BTW - whats the cost of these?

As stated in the narrative.

"I should point out that these are proto type rails to suit a system 3 and are not the final product that Jeff may produce in the future if there is enough interest."

rod71
26th August 2011, 06:02 PM
I'd put money on there being enough interest. Show me a system 3 that doesn't have rust at least around the flipper button area.

humpalot
26th August 2011, 06:40 PM
Yep my thought's exactly.

I've already shown one person my machine with the new rails and straight up they want to fit new rails to their system 3 games.

Maybe Jeff can run a poll to gauge interest in the different finishes before he commits :)

Railways
26th August 2011, 07:09 PM
Sounds like we may have a bit of interest here Mick:). Many thanks for the kind words mate but credit due to yourself:) You do a nice job on your pins.
Doesn't make much difference in price between Nails vs No-nail versions as they both take up the same space on a sheet. See how we go and we may be able to do a run of both.
Poll ??? Haven't got a clue how to do that but Doesn't matter as I'm more interested in feedback comments, Thanks guys:)

Jango
26th August 2011, 09:43 PM
Well I'm definitely interested. I recommend starting to get some names together?

Railways
26th August 2011, 10:17 PM
pm sent:)

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

looks very good, origanal or not those look so much better shinny.
with nails Jeff, i think the no nail hole ones look better
DomAgree Dom, Still got that Big Hurt.

slevbro
26th August 2011, 10:22 PM
yes, and his rails are not very good

Railways
26th August 2011, 10:40 PM
yes, and his rails are not very goodWhats youre feel?, Shiny vs grained. Nailed vs un-nailed.
P.S Isn't Big Hurt black rails (powdercoated?) Its possible.

slevbro
26th August 2011, 11:03 PM
i prefer the nailless ones, i think it looks cleaner and no risk of denting them puting them on
sorry, not shoping at the moment

Railways
26th August 2011, 11:21 PM
Not a prob, just curious about which ones people like.
Hope the Pizza and Pinball venture is progressing well:)

Jango
27th August 2011, 12:01 AM
I reckon no holed ones for sure. JPD - I just deleted a bunch of PM's incase you were trying to reach me

Railways
27th August 2011, 12:05 AM
Ta for the input Jango:)

blue95
31st August 2011, 11:30 PM
Looks good, I was going to paint the ones on my Wipeout but this has me thinking othewise

hamo54
1st September 2011, 08:56 AM
Jeff

Put me down for two sets. One for Big Hurt and one for Mario Andretti. I like the idea of nailess as I would dent them for sure. No help from me as far as shiny versus grained as I reckon shiny would be better on Mario Andretti and grained on Big Hurt. As far as I know Big Hurt only came out in rust:) I think you may be confused with Chris's hammertone job on his one. These should sell like hot cakes you rarely see any without some form of decay.

Geoff

Railways
10th October 2011, 09:42 AM
OK, we now have these in stock done in the same finish as pictured. Thanks Mick for giving the push along:D
Hamo - I hope you are satisfied with finish - I'm sure they'll look great compared to what you had.:)

hamo54
10th October 2011, 10:35 PM
They look fantastic I just can't wait to get rid of those shitty old rails.. Just have to find the time to put them on. Although I did really enjoy the weekend and the car racing now I "have" to get some non important jobs done. Did the mowing etc. today and I need to wash the cars and house down tomorrow. I am starting to hate daylight savings.:D
Anybody with a Sys 3 there is no excuse to put up with those rusty crappy rails anymore.

Thanks for everything Jeff.

Railways
10th October 2011, 10:50 PM
Good to see you here Geoff:)t'was a good arvo,enjoyed the chat:). Thinking about making this an annual event. Thanks for the + input- I'm sure the those gotts will look a whole lot better.

hamo54
10th October 2011, 11:28 PM
You can't beat Bathurst and pinball. Had a really good time and your current lineup is excellent and varied although it does sound like it changes regularly. :)
It is probably lucky the Earthshaker has found a new home as it certainly was copping a bit with high score after high score it will appreciate a quieter life.

Dedrok
10th October 2011, 11:39 PM
OK, we now have these in stock done in the same finish as pictured. Thanks Mick for giving the push along:D
Hamo - I hope you are satisfied with finish - I'm sure they'll look great compared to what you had.:)
It's good to see the sys 3' getting some love. The brushed chrome was a poor decision on Gottliebs part.
Personally, I think the shiny in both nail and no nail options.
I redid all the ones I used to own years ago in re chromed shiny flat, along with all the legs and bolts and they came up magic.
Wish I still had them all. "Sigh".
Nice work Jeff

Railways
10th October 2011, 11:54 PM
I think, could be wrong but the original rails weren't stainless but just nickelplated.The system3 have some great games and deserve a bit of bling.

blue95
19th October 2011, 09:38 PM
My Wipeout is looking real good.

Railways
20th October 2011, 07:10 PM
My Wipeout is looking real good.A little bit of Bling eh Dave:)

Railways
25th October 2011, 09:49 PM
Just a link back to some more pics on Rail-ways http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/45221-GOTTLIEB-SYSTEM-3-rails