PDA

View Full Version : Nuts and bolts and screws and filth

felixthadog
19th August 2011, 07:56 PM
I have decided to give my WCS a thorough clean, I have never attempted this before so I didn't expect it to be easy, but bloody hell there are alot of parts in a pinball machine :o I spent 2 hours today undoing nuts and bolts and screws, and I am not even half-way through! Every time I start dismantling something, I realise there is something else that needs dismantling first! And talk about filth - I don't think this machine has ever been cleaned, the ramps are literally black from dust and grime! I look forward to seeing what these parts look like without a layer of dirt on them :D

Matthew

shootar75
19th August 2011, 08:03 PM
I remember getting a Dracula out of a container and the playfield was covered in so much. Black shit you couldn't even see the playfield at all. After good clean came up a treat, was like the black was acting as Mylar protecting the pf. Good old novus and flame polishing and bingo!

Railways
19th August 2011, 08:12 PM
Matt, for Gawds sake stay organised.Take some pics 1st - close up is good. Grab some old chinese takeaway containers(don't really need the lids) and bunch them in areas. It'll turn into a shitfight otherwise;)

felixthadog
19th August 2011, 08:24 PM
Matt, for Gawds sake stay organised.Take some pics 1st - close up is good. Grab some old chinese takeaway containers(don't really need the lids) and bunch them in areas. It'll turn into a shitfight otherwise;)

D'oh, it already has :redface I did take heaps of photos though!

Matthew

Railways
19th August 2011, 08:30 PM
Not too late. treat it it like a car pull down.Same methods

Scotty PlayerOne
19th August 2011, 08:32 PM
Agree with JPD... take photos, lots of photos, use your phone. Even if you think you will remember a section, take a photo because at 1pm you might think you'll remember where that hex post belongs, but in the light of the next day when your standing there bleary eyed staring at four different lengthed hex posts your gunna wish you took a photo. Apart from that my advice is to work in sections, ok to dismantle some sections may require removing a wire form that connects to the opposite side from the area your working in...so take a photo of that. I will unscrew ramps, remove the ramp and then put the screws back in just so I dont end up with "head scratchers". By that I mean "Where the F#@k does this go! If you break it down into small sections it makes the job a lot less overwhelming, so just focus on a small area at a time and work in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction. I like to start on a sling and work around to the other.:cool:

@lien_Zed
20th August 2011, 05:13 AM
I have decided to give my WCS a thorough clean, I have never attempted this before so I didn't expect it to be easy, but bloody hell there are alot of parts in a pinball machine :o I spent 2 hours today undoing nuts and bolts and screws, and I am not even half-way through! Every time I start dismantling something, I realise there is something else that needs dismantling first!
Matthew

mate i read this and i instantly thought of the song most appropriate for you on your quest to dismantle this friggin thing.... you can thank my youngest son, mister 4 for this song....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zn79m70uOM

andykmv
20th August 2011, 05:27 AM
.... you can thank my youngest son, mister 4 for this song....lol
ohhh man thats gonna be stuck in my head all day:o

and matt, show us some pics of the befores, middle muddles and afters! cleaning the pinnie that it is ;)

@lien_Zed
20th August 2011, 05:29 AM
ohhh man thats gonna be stuck in my head all day:o

mate, this happened to me, misses_zed, and the other 4 kids of ours years ago...and once its in ya head, it aint ever getting back out... sorry:laugh:

felixthadog
20th August 2011, 12:54 PM
OK, I now have bottles of Ranex, Novus 1, 2 & 3, steel wool and scourers. Is there anything else I need to start cleaning up posts, bolts, nuts, screws etc? :unsure

Matthew

andykmv
20th August 2011, 01:13 PM
OK, I now have bottles of Ranex, Novus 1, 2 & 3, steel wool and scourers. Is there anything else I need to start cleaning up posts, bolts, nuts, screws etc? :unsure

Matthew

u got a bench grinder with a wire wheel ? lee used one to good effect at MM3. maybe a dremel style tool with wire wheel. also u can get cloth wheels for bench grinders for polishing.
dont forget the eye protection if using the bench grinder.
maybe some brasso for final polish on the metal bits ?
lee had some special brew general cleaner too at mm3. not sure what that was but iirc some said it smelled something like windex.
and some old business cards or similar cardboard - when folded just so they lightly hold down rollover wires so you can clean the playfield above it.

felixthadog
20th August 2011, 01:46 PM
u got a bench grinder with a wire wheel ? lee used one to good effect at MM3. maybe a dremel style tool with wire wheel. also u can get cloth wheels for bench grinders for polishing.
dont forget the eye protection if using the bench grinder.
maybe some brasso for final polish on the metal bits ?
lee had some special brew general cleaner too at mm3. not sure what that was but iirc some said it smelled something like windex.
and some old business cards or similar cardboard - when folded just so they lightly hold down rollover wires so you can clean the playfield above it.

No bench grinder, could I use a drill at low speed instead? :unsure

Thanks for the info on the Brasso and business cards, I'll add them to my arsenal! :D

Matthew

andykmv
21st August 2011, 05:35 AM
you should be able to pickup a wire wheel attachment for the drill so yeah, good idea! yout shoul mount the drill so its fixed in place (like a vice) and leave it running (gunna be noisey that way)

i picked up my ryobi bench griinder from somewhere like bunnings for about $40 - 50 at the most (was a long time ago though) - grab one cheap from ebay
Greensborough vic http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Makita-GB602-150mm-Bench-Grinder-/320745301394?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item4aade8e592
dimboola - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rockwell-Bench-Grinder-Model-RT7865-370-Watts-/150649738838?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item23136c9656

plenty going cheap - easy to find wire wheels and polishing wheels to suit. just search for "bench grinder"

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

this one looks pretty neat! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Bench-Grinder-Polisher-Flexible-Rotary-Shaft-/380361561999?pt=AU_Jewellery_Boxes_Supplies&hash=item588f50d78f

anyway, dont have to spend $ on a bench grinder when u can do it with a drill and a $10 attachment :D

Homepin
21st August 2011, 05:42 AM
Personally - I could never work on a pin without a wire wheel on a small bench grinder. I also have a large grinder on a stand but rarely use that. The small one is perfect for all sorts of stuff.

You could have a crack at this (it's only at $6 with 1 day to run so who knows)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ryobi-200mm-Bench-Grinder-BRAND-NEW-NEVER-USED-/180711789571?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item2a13431403

andykmv
21st August 2011, 05:54 AM
Personally - I could never work on a pin without a wire wheel on a small bench grinder. I also have a large grinder on a stand but rarely use that. The small one is perfect for all sorts of stuff.

You could have a crack at this (it's only at $6 with 1 day to run so who knows)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ryobi-200mm-Bench-Grinder-BRAND-NEW-NEVER-USED-/180711789571?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item2a13431403

missed that one...perfect!

Redback
21st August 2011, 06:18 AM
Catchy Tune,

Red

narf_
21st August 2011, 07:40 AM
Could get a cheapie ozito or see them fair bit at garage sales and auctions

or invest in a case tumbler

felixthadog
21st August 2011, 04:32 PM
I spent another couple of hours dismantling stuff on the playfield, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew :( I reckon it will be a looong time before I can have a game on this machine!

Matthew

@lien_Zed
21st August 2011, 05:52 PM
Catchy Tune,

Red

if u like that one, this might do too.... i think Matthew needs some help after reading his posts it sound like hes getting frustrated....so these tunes might help keep a smile on his dial and not give up.
My mister 4 knows all the moves to this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD1ENnVnMXM

Matthew, hang in there mate. i bet it seems like a daunting task infront of you but it will all be worth while at the end of it all mate.

Remember, we are all here to help support each other and im trying to do my bit:cool: