View Full Version : Mgl13 game 9: Radar scope [finished]

Jed
7th August 2011, 07:15 PM
FIRE_POWER has you in his sights with

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/radarscope-tourn.jpg

ROM NAME: Radarscp.zip

DIP SWITCHES:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/radar-dips.gif

Manufacturer: Nintendo (http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuf_detail.php?manuf_id=1546&orig_game_id=9238)
Year: 1980 (http://www.arcade-museum.com/year_detail.php?year=1980&orig_game_id=9238&letter=R)

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player
Controls:

Joystick: 2-way (left, right)
Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Radar Scope Description

Your ship moves horizontally at the bottom of the playfield. Shoot at alien ships in the rows at the top and as they dive-bomb you. Best described as a cross between Space Invaders and Galaxians. Few game sounds, most of which are fairly high pitched, and tend to be annoying after a short time. Hardware Blue-to-Black-to-Blue background generation.

Even more info if you need it @: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9238

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

RADAR SCOPE comp closes 7PM August 21st.

GOOD LUCK!

Leaderboard

Brad: 66,050
Pelly: 59,100
kane: 53,150
Spartan: 50,050
Fire_Power: 48,550
DKong: 33,500
Rat: 32,450
John73: 29,100
Foot: 8900
@lien_Zed: 7550

kane
7th August 2011, 07:52 PM
Amazingly I've never played this game, or even knew what style of game it was. Now that I have, I like it.

John73
7th August 2011, 07:56 PM

Never played or heard of this game either, a year or two before my time.

DKong
7th August 2011, 08:00 PM
Amazingly I've never played this game, or even knew what style of game it was. Now that I have, I like it.

Same, pretty sure it's the first time I have played it, elements of Juno first in it as well. Good game so far.

John73
7th August 2011, 08:03 PM
Another game where you get more than 3 letters to use for the top score. So many possibilities for putting obscenities into the high score table :lol You can only be so creative with 3 letters :lol

Jed
7th August 2011, 08:25 PM
Amazingly I've never played this game, or even knew what style of game it was. Now that I have, I like it. There's some interesting history around this game. Nintendo banked a lot of money on it being a success. Shipped heaps of cabinets and the game flopped everywhere.The legendary shigeru miyamoto (the author of radar scope) was tasked with saving a young Nintendo from financial ruin. They put him to work coding a new game that could be used on the radar scope hardware. So what did he come up with ? Donkey Kong :)

Fire_Power
7th August 2011, 08:46 PM
What a cool selection :cool:

There's a whole series relating to this game, includes Juno First and a few others.

I though this was a success in Japan, but flopped in the USA, where they had a few warehouses of them lined up. If you like this sort of history stuff, a great read is The Ultimate history of Video Games by Steven Kent. Starts at the fist command line games, goes through the golden age of arcades, Sega, Atari, Nintendo and up to PS2. Lots of quotes and interviews from industry types.

Jed
7th August 2011, 08:53 PM
What a cool selection :cool: There's a whole series relating to this game, includes Juno First and a few others.I though this was a success in Japan, but flopped in the USA, where they had a few warehouses of them lined up. If you like this sort of history stuff, a great read is The Ultimate history of Video Games by Steven Kent. Starts at the fist command line games, goes through the golden age of arcades, Sega, Atari, Nintendo and up to PS2. Lots of quotes and interviews from industry types. 26894Gotta get me that book ! Sounds like a fun read.Thought Juno First would have to be a spiritual successor to this game, they look like brother and sister, just on screenshots alone.

John73
7th August 2011, 09:02 PM
What is with the starting high score of 7650? How many games had this as the starting high score?

Spartan
7th August 2011, 09:17 PM

There's a whole series relating to this game, includes Juno First and a few others.

I though this was a success in Japan, but flopped in the USA, where they had a few warehouses of them lined up. If you like this sort of history stuff, a great read is The Ultimate history of Video Games by Steven Kent. Starts at the fist command line games, goes through the golden age of arcades, Sega, Atari, Nintendo and up to PS2. Lots of quotes and interviews from industry types.

Sometimes the best hints you get are by looking at other peoples scores: 24,350 afetr 2 patterns compared to my 22,450 after 4 (below). A bit more point pressing required.

wingtipvortex
7th August 2011, 09:32 PM
What is with the starting high score of 7650? How many games had this as the starting high score?
Its a common binary denominator identification in early programming. It basically was a result of low bit code resurrection of particular parameters in very basic codes, which most pre 83 games had.

John73
7th August 2011, 09:40 PM

Love knowing about the history of video games, just ordered the book you mentioned from Amazon, can't wait to give it a read.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Its a common binary denominator identification in early programming. It basically was a result of low bit code resurrection of particular parameters in very basic codes, which most pre 83 games had.

Do you a source to back this up? The nerd in me would really like to know more about this. I know a lot of games use binary as it's the basis of computer programming, but I don't see how 7650 fits into any binary pattern :confused:

wingtipvortex
7th August 2011, 09:46 PM
Do you a source to back this up? The nerd in me would really like to know more about this. I know a lot of games use binary as it's the basis of computer programming, but I don't see how 7650 fits into any binary pattern :confused:
Thats because i made it up:lol:lol:p

John73
7th August 2011, 09:47 PM
Thats because i made it up:lol:lol:p

Well there must be reason behind picking this score, must find out what it is :confused:

wingtipvortex
7th August 2011, 10:00 PM
Well there must be reason behind picking this score, must find out what it is :confused:
When you find out, let me know as i cant be bothered looking for myself:)

Jed
7th August 2011, 10:05 PM

You should have been on Star Trek in the Engineering bay, with a sentence like that :lol

wingtipvortex
7th August 2011, 10:26 PM
You should have been on Star Trek in the Engineering bay, with a sentence like that :lol
Im Tuvok in real life:lol I tried to make it as technical and funny as i could:lol:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPjTqx18ISU

Pelly
7th August 2011, 11:26 PM
Here is my first shot.... I can see how it didn't do well back in the day, it is no Galaga.. Either way very cool to play it as I had never played it before, even though I had read about its history... I always thought owning a red (old Radar Scope) Donkey Kong cabinet would be cool.

John73
8th August 2011, 09:28 AM

I suck at space invaders and I suck even more at this game :x

Brad
8th August 2011, 07:36 PM
Just played it........what a truly awful game :confused:

Brad

John73
8th August 2011, 07:44 PM
Just played it........what a truly awful game :confused:

Brad

:lol

I thought exactly the same thing :lol Had a few more games, and it is growing on me a little bit, but it's not the type of game I would have used to many 20 cent coins on if I ever saw it at the arcades.

Foot
8th August 2011, 09:53 PM
:lol

I thought exactly the same thing :lol Had a few more games, and it is growing on me a little bit, but it's not the type of game I would have used to many 20 cent coins on if I ever saw it at the arcades.

It's growing on me too, like a festering boil I can't wait to get rid of

Brad
9th August 2011, 09:12 AM
Seriously, I think I'd rather imitate a Boonga Boonga machine than play this game for two weeks :lol:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boong-Ga_Boong-Ga

Brad

John73
9th August 2011, 09:22 AM

John73
9th August 2011, 09:25 AM
Seriously, I think I'd rather imitate a Boonga Boonga machine than play this game for two weeks :lol:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boong-Ga_Boong-Ga

Brad

a children's prank popular in Japan where the victim is poked with two fingers in the anal region while distracted. :lol:lol:lol:lol

Current Australia record holder for this game is John Hopoate :lol:lol:lol:lol

shabu
9th August 2011, 11:18 AM

It is Hebrew for Shaba.

As far as this tournament goes it is a sign that I will win with a score far in excess of the current MGL high.

Shabu Shaba.

So it is written...

John73
9th August 2011, 12:08 PM
It is Hebrew for Shaba.

As far as this tournament goes it is a sign that I will win with a score far in excess of the current MGL high.

Shabu Shaba.

So it is written...

Time to put down the bong I think :huh:

John73
9th August 2011, 02:07 PM
This game would possibly be a bit easier if the alien ships didn't fire bullets that are the same colour as the grid :confused:

shabu
9th August 2011, 04:53 PM
Time to put down the bong I think :huh:

Roff... hardly. <_< Just a reference before your time I'm guessing.

John73
9th August 2011, 05:59 PM
Roff... hardly. <_< Just a reference before your time I'm guessing.

Must have been before my time :laugh:

Rat
9th August 2011, 07:22 PM
Hmmm, my score is a derivative of Pi............I wonder why that is????

Spartan
10th August 2011, 12:19 AM

kane
11th August 2011, 07:16 PM
A bit weird this game, the grid is angled but your bullets fly straight?

@lien_Zed
12th August 2011, 01:27 PM
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9141/0003s.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/0003s.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Spartan
12th August 2011, 09:35 PM
Score update: 31,100

andykmv
12th August 2011, 09:56 PM

strangely enough, its not too far from the truth as there are commonalities in the assembly language programming amongst many games as many of the cpus used had roots in similar microcoding methodologies, using the same bipolar or metaloxide semiconductor designs and similar silicone substrates and doping methods. the term Z80 was a derivative of the 7650 denominator as it was written so badly on one of the engineering design sheets by the engineer that the senior engineer shortened it to z80 instead of the 7650.

had ya goin there wtv didnt i ?:lol:lol:lol

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

suppose i had better post up a score then. does this game have a continue function or has mame got a restart function at some point in the game so that i can start again just before where i lose a man ? i need the practice. ticwtv

John73
13th August 2011, 10:25 AM
suppose i had better post up a score then. does this game have a continue function or has mame got a restart function at some point in the game so that i can start again just before where i lose a man ? i need the practice. ticwtv

No continue for this game, but you can just hit F3 to reset if you stuff up :D

I will have to give this game another go during the week and try and improve my pitiful score :lol

Brad
13th August 2011, 12:16 PM
Arrghhhh I keep dying at the same spot.....

Pelly
17th August 2011, 05:01 PM
Score Update.

No posts in 4 days... obviously a very popular game :lol Now Spartan, I expect you to post within an hour of this :rolleyes

Annoying game, after getting high 20k's repeatedly I had a good run and made it through level 3 and most of 4 on my last life. I might be able to crack 40k or even 50k but I don't know if I can really be bothered. Lady Bug is a lot more fun.

Brad
17th August 2011, 05:18 PM
Or people are going to post at the last minute so OOO doesn't taunt us again :confused:

Brad

DKong
17th August 2011, 06:46 PM
Getting a few games in tonight

Spartan
17th August 2011, 09:42 PM
Score Update.

No posts in 4 days... obviously a very popular game :lol Now Spartan, I expect you to post within an hour of this :rolleyes

Annoying game, after getting high 20k's repeatedly I had a good run and made it through level 3 and most of 4 on my last life. I might be able to crack 40k or even 50k but I don't know if I can really be bothered. Lady Bug is a lot more fun.

Sorry to disappoint you. Have nothing extra to post on this one at the moment. Have to concentrate on Lady Bug. Need to make up massive ground. I will be lucky if I make the top 10. Might try Radar scope again towards the end of the week (1 -2 hours max) but like you, note sure if I can really be bothered.

kane
18th August 2011, 07:03 PM
I don't know why there is all this hate for this game, I like it quite a bit, very Galaxianish.

DKong
18th August 2011, 08:47 PM
I don't know why there is all this hate for this game, I like it quite a bit, very Galaxianish.

Feel the love of Radar scope:D

The bonus trick I have only worked out in the last couple of games, by killing the grid riders ;)

Brad
20th August 2011, 03:04 PM

Jed
20th August 2011, 03:46 PM
Leaderboard Updated

Just over a day to go for Radar Scope, I really gotta have a game of this and find out for myself. Just been kind of busy.

Brad
21st August 2011, 08:35 AM
What I find interesting about this game is I recognise the re-use of game sounds for other Nintendo games a year later. The base line has been re-used in Donkey Kong and the the winged ship and one other sound is re-used in Space Firebird. Not surprising but definitely interesting. Do you guys also hear it and if so any others?

Brad

Foot
21st August 2011, 09:22 AM
Score: 8900

What I find interesting about this game is I recognise the re-use of game sounds for other Nintendo games a year later. The base line has been re-used in Donkey Kong and the the winged ship and one other sound is re-used in Space Firebird. Not surprising but definitely interesting. Do you guys also hear it and if so any others?

Brad

Your trying to trick me into playing it again

Brad
21st August 2011, 09:43 AM
Score: 8900

Your trying to trick me into playing it again

It's only fair since it's taken me soo many horrible games to get that score :p Level 6 REALLY kicks your arse. I recognise 2 others sounds from other games but the names escape me =/

Brad

Spartan
21st August 2011, 10:46 AM

kane
21st August 2011, 04:21 PM
I was on fire this game, made it up to level 7 :cool:

Spartan
21st August 2011, 05:49 PM
I was on fire this game, made it up to level 7 :cool:

Congratulations. Looks like a winning score.

I was on fire in my game too. Made it to level 3. My latest effort 50050. Hopefully will give me third.

Brad
21st August 2011, 06:12 PM

John73
21st August 2011, 06:30 PM

Might move me up a place or two in the rankings. Didn't get too much time to play this game :(

Let it be known, if these particular aliens ever attack earth, I am not the man for the job to save us :laugh:

Pelly
21st August 2011, 06:41 PM
Just when I thought I finally might have been able to win one of these... got so excited just before and died before making it to level 3 :-/ Well done Brad. Might have one more crack but 20mins might not be enough time.

Foot
21st August 2011, 06:47 PM
:popcorn:

I have nothing add, some great scores boys

Fire_Power
21st August 2011, 06:50 PM
I still reckon it's a great game and why peopledon't like it is because there is no real pattern to learn so it doesn't suit "robot" approaches. But it's good because you have lots of choices in how far you push things - shoot the aliens low and get more,leave them longer and get more fire tailed attackers.

Seems to me you need tobe lucky and string together a lot of good boards to get a deceent score. And did anyone ever work out what the bouncing blue / red rthing did except kill you? It doesn't appear too often, but I never managed to hit it.

Finally a great piece f Jenglish encouragement "I wish you to doyour best" - hard to not like.

27390 27391

Brad
21st August 2011, 07:03 PM
Fire_Power.....I think I speak for most when I say I will truly NEVER play this game again :lol

Good pick as I'd never played it before though and thats always a good thing.

Brad

Fire_Power
21st August 2011, 07:22 PM
Fire_Power.....I think I speak for most when I say I will truly NEVER play this game again :lol

Good pick as I'd never played it before though and thats always a good thing.

Brad

You never know your luck Brad, it may just get nominated again :) :lol

Brad
21st August 2011, 07:25 PM
Definitely no love for this game with the lowest turnout rate ever :cry

Brad: 66,050 - 25 Points
Pelly: 59,100 - 20 Points
kane: 53,150 - 16 Points
Spartan: 50,050 - 13 Points
Fire_Power: 48,550 - 11 Points
DKong: 33,500 - 10 Points
Rat: 32,450 - 9 Points
John73: 29,100 - 8 Points
Foot: 8900 - 7 Points
@lien_Zed: 7550 - 6 Points

Oh and %^&% I hope not fire_power LOL!

wingtipvortex
21st August 2011, 07:25 PM
You never know your luck Brad, it may just get nominated again :) :lol
Not if im rolling up the games:laugh: Jokes, i actually didn't mind it too much.
Got carried away doing the next game and forgot to post my score and screenshot........oh well:) Ill post my 1.2 mil next time:lol

Jed
22nd August 2011, 10:38 AM
Damn, I never got around to playing this one :(

I blame Kane's Vader which kept me distracted since it arrived at chez jammasoized :)

kane
22nd August 2011, 04:24 PM
Damn, I never got around to playing this one :(

I blame Kane's Vader which kept me distracted since it arrived at chez jammasoized :)

lol, I did think of that as a possibility when I saw WingTip posting in your stead. Hope it's all working OK.

Jed
22nd August 2011, 08:17 PM
lol, I did think of that as a possibility when I saw WingTip posting in your stead. Hope it's all working OK.

How good is Berzek...Never played the 2600 version before, but it's really good given the tech they had to use. Sure, Berzerk was a simple game, but it captured the gameplay almost perfectly. Pitfall, River Raid, such gems. Must get a friend over for a night of Combat too :)

Sorry off topic. Maybe need to start a new topic to get people's opinions on must-have 2600 carts.