View Full Version : Mgl13 game 7: Gyruss [finished]

Jed
24th July 2011, 07:04 PM
WINGTIPVORTEX loves planet hopping and killing alien scum, see why in

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/gyrusst-tourn.jpg

ROM NAME: Gyruss.zip

DIP SWITCHES:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/gturss-dips.jpg

Manufacturer: Konami (http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuf_detail.php?manuf_id=1467&orig_game_id=8060)
Year: 1983 (http://www.arcade-museum.com/year_detail.php?year=1983&orig_game_id=8060&letter=G)

Orientation: Vertical
Type: Raster: Standard (http://www.arcade-museum.com/monitor.html#R) Resolution
CRT: Color

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player
Controls:

Joystick: 8-way
Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Gyruss Description

A shoot-em-up through the Earth's solar system where the player's ship moves in a circular orbit around the outer edge of the screen while shooting at enemies in the center. The purpose of this game is to fly through the solar system and reach Earth. The other planets that have you travel to before Earth are Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars. It only takes two warps to arrive at Neptune, but all others including Earth take three warps to get to. Each time you reach a planet, there is a Challenge Stage where you try to destroy as many enemies as possible. After reaching Earth, there is a Challenge Stage followed by a very fast "three warps to Neptune" stage. After this, the levels and the background music start over.

Even more info if you need it @: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8060

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

GYRUSS comp closes 7PM August 7th.

GOOD LUCK!

LEADER BOARD

Spartan: 643,900
John73: 638,650
Woody: 544,900
Foot: 426,900
DKong: 307,100
wongtoplatex: 280,200
Brad: 227,350
Jammasized: 220,550
Pelly: 207,450
Rat: 206,300
Fire_Power: 168,000
Azathoth: 163,100
AdamC: 139,750
Kane: 137,550
shabu: 100,600
Big Giant Head: 83,400
ED_209: 78,450

Fire_Power
24th July 2011, 07:15 PM
I think it was this game I was reading about in the book "Ultimate History of Video Games" where the designer thought he'd done a pretty good job and it was innovative with the circular path, so he asked for a pay rise and was sacked the next day!

John73
24th July 2011, 07:49 PM
Before I start, is this correct dip settings?

Lives = 3
Bonus = 30K 90K 60K +
Difficult = 5

I absolutely loved this game, and think I'm pretty good at it - but I'm sure I'm come up well short of many of you :redface

John73
24th July 2011, 07:58 PM

A shocking first effort, but I've had a couple of drinks and am trying to play this while laying on the couch. I'll post a better score tomorrow. Hope my dip switches above are correct.

DKong
24th July 2011, 08:08 PM

A shocking first effort, but I've had a couple of drinks and am trying to play this while laying on the couch. I'll post a better score tomorrow. Hope my dip switches above are correct.

Pretty sure thats right, its what I'm using atm

Brad
24th July 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm expecting some BIG scores from you guys on this game!

Brad

Jed
24th July 2011, 09:13 PM
oops i forgot the dip settings, will update the first post shortly. mame defaults though.

John73
25th July 2011, 06:48 AM
oops i forgot the dip settings, will update the first post shortly. mame defaults though.

My bonus life settings don't say "30 60" but "30 90 60+" which I'm guessing is the same. Must be a slightly different ROM version I'm using? :confused: My default for difficulty is also 5 - but I'll gladly change this to "1" :laugh:

John73
25th July 2011, 07:06 AM

That's more like a half decent starting score for me. One warp and about 2 enemies from making it to Earth. Not bad for me since I haven't played a game of this seriously for a long time. Can't remember the Earth, Mars or the one before it???? challenge stages - this will come back after a few games though.

John73
25th July 2011, 08:13 AM

That's my morning effort done. Time to do some work :cry

Pelly
25th July 2011, 11:03 AM
400K already :-/ Gee I hope a game comes up in this tournament that I actually played in my youth...

Jed
25th July 2011, 01:51 PM
My bonus life settings don't say "30 60" but "30 90 60+" which I'm guessing is the same. Must be a slightly different ROM version I'm using? :confused: My default for difficulty is also 5 - but I'll gladly change this to "1" :laugh:

Strange, if you are playing the 'gyruss' rom then mame defaults should be the same, unless different versionsof mame use different defaults ? Any mame experts shed any light on this ?

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

400K already :-/ Gee I hope a game comes up in this tournament that I actually played in my youth...

Interesting... Given most of the games so far have been relatively well known and 'big' titles from the early to mid 80's (the golden age of the arcade), I'd place you at under 35 y/o - is that right ?

John73
25th July 2011, 02:27 PM
Strange, if you are playing the 'gyruss' rom then mame defaults should be the same, unless different versionsof mame use different defaults ? Any mame experts shed any light on this ?

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/Gyruss.pdf

There is an "original" manual for Gyruss. The default is actually "5 - Difficult"

I would say that the "default" dip switches are actually specified within the ROM file itself - and not from within the version of Mame that you are running.

But now that we're underway, I more than happy to stick with 1 for the difficulty. The score I posted earlier would be my highest score of all time, I'd say that level 5 might be just that little bit harder. I'll have to put it onto level 5 after this game finishes and see what sort of score I can get.

Jed
25th July 2011, 03:22 PM
http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/Gyruss.pdf

There is an "original" manual for Gyruss. The default is actually "5 - Difficult"

I would say that the "default" dip switches are actually specified within the ROM file itself - and not from within the version of Mame that you are running.

This is what I assumed, that the dip switches are dictated by the rom and not Mame. but that manual you linked is for the original Arcade machine board dips.

But you'd assume Mame would be replicating the original arcade machine dips, right ? But it aint necessarily so... I get the dips straight out of the version of mame on my laptop - it's a fresh install of mame 0.96, I never play games on that version or change anything, just use it to load roms and check Mame defaults - so have never altered anything.

Can mame experts shed any light on this anomoly ? Dkong also mentioned his mame defaults have difficulty set to 5.

Kane, any ideas ?

kane
25th July 2011, 04:33 PM
Kane, any ideas ?

It's because you are using such an old version of MAME.

I loaded up Gyruss in MAME106 and the defaults DIPs are 1(Easiest) and 30k 60k.
I loaded up Gyruss in MAME143 and the defaults DIPs are 5(Average) and 30k 90k 60k+.

So somewhere in the MAME evolution they have changed the default DIP settings, don't know why.

John73
25th July 2011, 05:09 PM
It's because you are using such an old version of MAME.

I loaded up Gyruss in MAME106 and the defaults DIPs are 1(Easiest) and 30k 60k.
I loaded up Gyruss in MAME143 and the defaults DIPs are 5(Average) and 30k 90k 60k+.

So somewhere in the MAME evolution they have changed the default DIP settings, don't know why.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the MAME testers look for these sorts of things. When a MAME rom is first introduced, if no official documentation is available then the Dev team can only guess at what the dip switches should be. When official documentation is found, I believe the ROM is changed to reflect the manufacturers default settings.

Only way to find out for sure would be to get onto the MameDev site and ask someone there.

kane
25th July 2011, 06:14 PM
Here's the Gyruss WIP notes ->

0.128u3: Stephane Humbert added DIP locations for Gyruss and clones.
0.128u2: Stephane Humbert fixed dipswitches for Gyruss and clones.

Jed
25th July 2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info Kane and John..

We'll stick to level 1 (easiest) so that will enable some nice big scores :)

Pelly
25th July 2011, 06:39 PM
Interesting... Given most of the games so far have been relatively well known and 'big' titles from the early to mid 80's (the golden age of the arcade), I'd place you at under 35 y/o - is that right ?

Yeah, just turned 29. So most of my Arcading was done early 90's rather than mid 80's. That's why I had never really heard of or played games like Crush Roller, Gyruss, Pengo or Terra Cresta. Still loving the fact that MGL is introducing me to them and giving me the chance to give some of the more "slightly mature" gaming vets a run for your money :D That being said.. some of my noms still may yet get chosen for MGL 13...

kane
25th July 2011, 07:12 PM
I've been meaning to get into this game for a while but have never given it a serious go, good that it has come up in the MGL. Here's a score on the keyboard.

wingtipvortex
25th July 2011, 07:26 PM
Just a quick note. Most im sure are aware, but some may not realize that its fairly essential that you have your sticks set to 8 way for this game. It can be played 4 way, but it makes it much less flowy.

Jed
25th July 2011, 07:34 PM
I've been meaning to get into this game for a while but have never given it a serious go, good that it has come up in the MGL. Here's a score on the keyboard. Gyruss is a shooter that even people who don't really like shooters can like :) It's got a nice balance of patterns, tactics, and bonuses.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Yeah, just turned 29. So most of my Arcading was done early 90's rather than mid 80's. That's why I had never really heard of or played games like Crush Roller, Gyruss, Pengo or Terra Cresta. Still loving the fact that MGL is introducing me to them and giving me the chance to give some of the more "slightly mature" gaming vets a run for your money :D That being said.. some of my noms still may yet get chosen for MGL 13...Good to see some of you young whippersnappers in the mgl amongst the crusty old gamers :) I'm 44 and still game on like a teen. Somehow, gaming just never has lost it's appeal. When I first found Mame around '98, it was like finding a time machine. It still feels like that now, even more so since I got a mame upright. Just love it :)

wingtipvortex
25th July 2011, 07:42 PM
Don't forget you have Dragons Lair as well Jamma, im very in awe of that:) Im in the same boat with age. Im 41 and lost my mind when shown MAME. I throw on dim sims and potato cakes just for the smell when playing games:laugh:

John73
25th July 2011, 10:01 PM
Just a quick note. Most im sure are aware, but some may not realize that its fairly essential that you have your sticks set to 8 way for this game. It can be played 4 way, but it makes it much less flowy.

I'm using keyboard since I've been very lazy the last couple of months and done zero work on my cab :(

I don't mind keyboard, I think I play just as well either way. Terra Cresta is the only game so far where I've found that the joystick far outweighs the keyboard.

As with Terra Cresta, your hand can get a bit sore on the fire button (using left instead of right) using the keyboard. But at least Gyruss gives you a bit of a break every minute - Terra Cresta was painful on the left hand after a couple of games of constant shooting with hardly any break :lol

Pelly
25th July 2011, 11:07 PM
I'm using keyboard since I've been very lazy the last couple of months and done zero work on my cab :(

I don't mind keyboard, I think I play just as well either way. Terra Cresta is the only game so far where I've found that the joystick far outweighs the keyboard.

As with Terra Cresta, your hand can get a bit sore on the fire button (using left instead of right) using the keyboard. But at least Gyruss gives you a bit of a break every minute - Terra Cresta was painful on the left hand after a couple of games of constant shooting with hardly any break :lol

It is funny... playing shooters, especially vertical ones is a hell of a lot easier with a joy stick as opposed to a d-pad controller or keyboard if my Terra Cresta and Raiden scores have anything to say about it.

wingtipvortex
25th July 2011, 11:12 PM
As with Terra Cresta, your hand can get a bit sore on the fire button (using left instead of right) using the keyboard.
Ever thought about re mapping your keyboard with fire on the right? It takes around 10 seconds to do it:D

Edit. My Bombjack score was done on the keyboard, but jump/flap was assigned to a right handed button

John73
26th July 2011, 06:49 AM
Ever thought about re mapping your keyboard with fire on the right? It takes around 10 seconds to do it:D

And then I'd be using the arrow keys with my left hand - which I'm pretty sure I'm in capable of doing :P

Woody
26th July 2011, 06:59 AM
Hey fellas, what's the go with the MGL? can I join now? Never been in one before....and I LOVE Gyruss :D

Jed
26th July 2011, 07:34 AM
Hey fellas, what's the go with the MGL? can I join now? Never been in one before....and I LOVE Gyruss :D

Yep, you can join in and play anytime. Go for it :)

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Don't forget you have Dragons Lair as well Jamma, im very in awe of that:) Im in the same boat with age. Im 41 and lost my mind when shown MAME. I throw on dim sims and potato cakes just for the smell when playing games:laugh:

Hehe - great idea on the chips and potato cakes! And I STILL haven't made the Lair and slayed the Dragon on my own cab...yet...

John73
26th July 2011, 11:47 AM
Just had a very quick play with the difficulty set to 6 which is the TG settings for Gyruss on Mame. Speed doesn't seem any different, but you do get a lot my bullets fired at you, including them firing from the starting formations on the first screen. Also seem to get more meteors as well, but I can't be 100% of this. Only played about 7 screens.

If you are looking to take the world record, you need this Difficulty 6 and need score more than 5.2Million (I think it was). :o Current record holder is New Zoolander.

Jed
26th July 2011, 06:49 PM
Just one quick game to blow the cobwebs out. Very rusty, it's been a while.

The sound on this game kicks arse. Not just the top-notch music, but the sfx are awesome... If you've got a sub hooked up, some of the bass growls are sweeeet... especially the one at the very end of the attract mode. Woof.

John73
26th July 2011, 07:26 PM
Just one quick game to blow the cobwebs out. Very rusty, it's been a while.

The sound on this game kicks arse. Not just the top-notch music, but the sfx are awesome... If you've got a sub hooked up, some of the bass growls are sweeeet... especially the one at the very end of the attract mode. Woof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbgUrp1a70

Does anyone else remember this band? When I heard this song, don't remember when it was released, I was :o I know that song, it's the Gyruss song :laugh:

Awesome music from these guys, but I find the (dated as it is) hair cuts, fashion sense and mostly the drummer in this clip disturbing :lol

wingtipvortex
26th July 2011, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbgUrp1a70

Does anyone else remember this band? When I heard this song, don't remember when it was released, I was :o I know that song, it's the Gyruss song :laugh:

Awesome music from these guys, but I find the (dated as it is) hair cuts, fashion sense and mostly the drummer in this clip disturbing :lol
The drummer is the father of the famous brothers called The Proclaimers.

John73
26th July 2011, 09:54 PM
The drummer is the father of the famous brothers called The Proclaimers.

That drummer managed to find someone to have kids with? :o

There is hope for me yet :lol

wingtipvortex
26th July 2011, 10:16 PM
That drummer managed to find someone to have kids with? :o

There is hope for me yet :lol
Na, im havin a lend of ya:D But yes, i do remember this tune by Sky, its in my list of cool retro tunes:cool:

Viper
26th July 2011, 10:22 PM
The sound on this game kicks arse.
Been my ringtone since you could first use custom midi tones (now mp3).

shabu
27th July 2011, 12:18 AM
Still loving the fact that MGL is introducing me to them and giving me the chance to give some of the more "slightly mature" gaming vets a run for your money.

Adjust your ear trumpets boys - Pelly's messing with the Taswegian contingent.

Spartan
27th July 2011, 03:01 PM
My first up effort:306 250

kane
27th July 2011, 06:10 PM
Four pages of Gyruss and no Uranus jokes? I'm deaply disappointed in all of you...

John73
27th July 2011, 06:31 PM

Slight improvement. Was 390K with 4 lives left and then choked big time :laugh:

John73
27th July 2011, 06:32 PM
Four pages of Gyruss and no Uranus jokes? I'm deaply disappointed in all of you...

I was going to say something about the Uranus jokes that used to be so amusing to us as kids when we played this game :lol

Interesting that there is no trip to Pluto in this game. Did Konami know something back in 1983? I smell a conspiracy :o

DKong
27th July 2011, 07:12 PM
I was going to say something about the Uranus jokes that used to be so amusing to us as kids when we played this game :lol

Interesting that there is no trip to Pluto in this game. Did Konami know something back in 1983? I smell a conspiracy :o

Nah you start on Pluto and advance to the first planet and mercury and venus are closer to the sun, no conspiracy move on;)

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Slight improvement. Was 390K with 4 lives left and then choked big time :laugh:

Thats just shy of my best of 431,000 have around 310,000 atm

John73
27th July 2011, 08:15 PM
Nah you start on Pluto and advance to the first planet and mercury and venus are closer to the sun, no conspiracy move on;)

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Thats just shy of my best of 431,000 have around 310,000 atm

Conspiracy nothing. You probably still believe in the moon landing too don't you :P

DKong
27th July 2011, 08:17 PM
Conspiracy nothing. You probably still believe in the moon landing too don't you :P

Why wouldn't I ?

John73
28th July 2011, 08:16 AM

Finally managed to crack 500K :026: :026: :026:

Had 4 lives built up again at 400K. Seem to go through stages just after 400 of losing 2 or 3 ships really quickly. Must be from losing the rhythm or something.
Does anyone else get the occasional little pause in this game :confused: Every so often, generally after I've been playing for a while it's like the game (or my computer possibly) does something weird and there is a split second of delay in the game. Very off putting, especially in a challenge stage.

Don't know if it's my laptop or not, I'm running mame, have nothing else running except Google Chrome. No virus scanners running. Laptop is Core 2 Due 2200Mhz with 2Gb RAM which should be fine for this game.

Spartan
28th July 2011, 11:09 PM

Finally managed to crack 500K :026: :026: :026:

Had 4 lives built up again at 400K. Seem to go through stages just after 400 of losing 2 or 3 ships really quickly. Must be from losing the rhythm or something.
Does anyone else get the occasional little pause in this game :confused: Every so often, generally after I've been playing for a while it's like the game (or my computer possibly) does something weird and there is a split second of delay in the game. Very off putting, especially in a challenge stage.

Don't know if it's my laptop or not, I'm running mame, have nothing else running except Google Chrome. No virus scanners running. Laptop is Core 2 Due 2200Mhz with 2Gb RAM which should be fine for this game.

Nice score. Given that I don't think I'll get anywhere near that I hope you take this one out.

My effort below and a P.B (361,600). Not unexpected given that I have always played this at the default difficulty level of 5. Still room for plenty of improvement given the amount of cheap men I keep losing however not expecting anything over 420k.

Jed
29th July 2011, 08:29 AM
Leaderboard Updated

John73
29th July 2011, 09:11 AM
Nice score. Given that I don't think I'll get anywhere near that I hope you take this one out.

My effort below and a P.B (361,600). Not unexpected given that I have always played this at the default difficulty level of 5. Still room for plenty of improvement given the amount of cheap men I keep losing however not expecting anything over 420k.

I don't think 500K will cut it for the win in this one, I think there might be quite a few people who haven't posted scores yet that will clobber it. I would expect that the high score of 644K by Amy in MGL (9 I think?) will get taken out too - but I think that score was set on a slightly harder dip switch setting.

Jed
30th July 2011, 01:31 PM
Still only 4 scores for Gyruss, am a bit surprised.... are players lost in the Pengo Maze ? :)

Foot
30th July 2011, 02:27 PM
Still only 4 scores for Gyruss, am a bit surprised.... are players lost in the Pengo Maze ? :)

Patience Grass Hopper

Spartan
30th July 2011, 05:38 PM
Surprised myself by making it past earth twice in the one game. That's 2 games after I stated that I would be lucky to reach 420k at best.

New score - 527,650

Woody
30th July 2011, 05:41 PM
I will submit one IF i can get out of this form slump :(

I forgot how damn hard it is once you get past Mars :o

Anyway, I'll post something up tonight with anyluck. Can't see me catching John though. Damn man, you have good reflexes.

EDIT, just realised that 2 of you bastards are over 500K now! Maybe I need more beer? :D

John73
30th July 2011, 06:29 PM
Surprised myself by making it past earth twice in the one game. That's 2 games after I stated that I would be lucky to reach 420k at best.

New score - 527,650

Now it's game on :P

I haven't made it to earth twice ever :O I think my 500K score was still on the way to mars from memory. :confused:

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Just had 2 games, 238K and 216K :( Spartan has put the wind up me and stolen my Gyruss Mojo :cry

John73
30th July 2011, 07:41 PM

388K on first life :o But made it passed earth twice :)

Keep losing lives (multiple) getting to Saturn the 2nd and 3rd times round. I think I know what I'm doing wrong, just haven't worked out how to fix it consistently :confused:

Fire_Power
31st July 2011, 08:52 AM
Fun game, but I don't remember it from the arcades.

Brad
31st July 2011, 12:17 PM
Finally had a crack at this classic

Big Giant Head
31st July 2011, 06:54 PM
Jeebus! I think you guys are safe from me with this one! 500K!!! :o Is an 8 way or 4 way better for this one? I love Gyruss but not sure how I'm going to compare here - but will have fun trying! Mind you, not sure what settings I've played this on so could be interesting.

John73
31st July 2011, 07:00 PM
Jeebus! I think you guys are safe from me with this one! 500K!!! :o Is an 8 way or 4 way better for this one? I love Gyruss but not sure how I'm going to compare here - but will have fun trying! Mind you, not sure what settings I've played this on so could be interesting.

I think all of the arcade machines I ever played on would have been default - 5 difficulty. So if you've played on the original then this should be a bit easier on setting 1.

8 way joystick required for this one.

Big Giant Head
31st July 2011, 07:15 PM
I think all of the arcade machines I ever played on would have been default - 5 difficulty. So if you've played on the original then this should be a bit easier on setting 1.

8 way joystick required for this one.

8 way config - engaged!

Fingers cracked - raring to go!

John73
31st July 2011, 07:17 PM
8 way config - engaged!

Fingers cracked - raring to go!

Good luck. Safe trip to Earth :cool:

wingtipvortex
31st July 2011, 08:28 PM
Is an 8 way or 4 way better for this one?
Page 3, post 21 http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/43409-MGL13-GAME-7-GYRUSS-in-progress-week-2/page3

Big Giant Head
31st July 2011, 08:44 PM
Page 3, post 21 http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/43409-MGL13-GAME-7-GYRUSS-in-progress-week-2/page3

Cheers mate!:D

azathoth
31st July 2011, 09:07 PM
Cool game. Changed to 8 -way, need a mag stik plus!

John73
31st July 2011, 09:17 PM
Half way into this game, so a quick tip from me:

I'm using keyboard, but even playing on an original cab - I stick pretty much at the bottom of the screen (except the challenge stages when you need to go up to the top sometimes). If you are sticking to the bottom as I do, it doesn't really matter too much if you are using 4 or 8 way joystick - and for challenge stages, 4 or 8 way is neither here nor there either.

Big Giant Head
1st August 2011, 08:14 AM
First effort. Much practice is needed.

AdamC
2nd August 2011, 04:19 PM
Hi guys, havent been around for a while, but I thought I'd have a go at this comp. Not a bad effort for me ... usually average around 100K .... I'll give it more of a go tomorrow.

Foot
2nd August 2011, 09:51 PM
Score: 426,900

Took a while to get the challenge stages locked back into the ol memory, but I think I have it now

AdamC
2nd August 2011, 10:17 PM
Shuddup, Foot :lol

Foot
2nd August 2011, 10:41 PM
Still a long way off my PB but that was on a cab not this crazy wireless thingy, Me and the box almost went off the stool on the way to earth :lol

wingtipvortex
2nd August 2011, 10:45 PM
Still a long way off my PB but that was on a cab not this crazy wireless thingy, Me and the box almost went off the stool on the way to earth :lol
Are you using the Target stick?

Foot
2nd August 2011, 11:01 PM
Are you using the Target stick?

Yep :)

wingtipvortex
2nd August 2011, 11:27 PM
Yep :)
I have mine blue tacked down to the desk:lol Before that, it did go a flying:lol
Nice score by the way:cool:

Rat
3rd August 2011, 01:59 PM
Have not played this enough, didn't even get to Earth yet, off to work now, might get another game on Sunday before close but better post this in case I don't get time.

wingtipvortex
5th August 2011, 11:21 PM
Leaderboard updated.

shabu
6th August 2011, 12:18 PM
Saturday morning...

Coffee brewed. Stereo cranked. Cabinet fired-up and Flux Capacitor fluxing.

I set the controls for the heart of Gyruss and jarred my way through a first game in who knows how long. Sent my wookiee bitch to investigate and change the sticks back to 8-way. Haven't completed an overhaul since visiting Pengo recently. Much better. Forgot how much fun Gyruss is...

http://i53.tinypic.com/2wnzsso.jpg

Stereo's pumping. Rain's falling. How goes it where you are ?

wingtipvortex
6th August 2011, 02:51 PM
Pfffttt

http://i51.tinypic.com/2n9z6eq.png

Woody
6th August 2011, 03:39 PM
Getting there, I feel good today. Hoping to post a higher score later tonight when the bourbon kicks in :D

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9664/dsc01725m.jpg

Woody
6th August 2011, 05:56 PM
Update :D

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/346/dsc01726a.jpg

Rat
6th August 2011, 06:51 PM
I have mine blue tacked down to the desk:lol Before that, it did go a flying:lol
Nice score by the way:cool:

I use velcro strips on my desk, hold very secure, then just lift joystick off and put keyboard over. Been doing that for about 12 years with my awesome and trusty Namco PSX joystick :)

wingtipvortex
6th August 2011, 11:07 PM
I use velcro strips on my desk, hold very secure, then just lift joystick off and put keyboard over. Been doing that for about 12 years with my awesome and trusty Namco PSX joystick :)
I thought about velcro......but i do everything on my " Game Station " so to speak. Play games, hit AA, and eat curries:lol So its not really practical for me to establish a dedicated " suck down " on the old desk:(
What is this Namco PSX joystick you refer to? Is it good?

Brad
7th August 2011, 10:37 AM
Was never a great fan of this game. Classic sure but for some reason not my cup of tea.

ED_209
7th August 2011, 12:40 PM

I'm really not very good at this one. Think this will be as far as I get.

azathoth
7th August 2011, 02:43 PM

I Probably wont beat this score again tonight.

Jed
7th August 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm enjoying Swimmer more than Gyruss... the slower pace of swimmer suits me a bit more :) but I fired up for a few more cracks today and managed to get within 1 warp of Earth which I think is a PB for me.

And now a quick word of advice regarding the use of Mame save states, as the topic has come up earlier in the MGL, but also in the Kong-Off, and not really dealt with. (My Bad)

It's always been a no-no of course in the MGL for obvious reasons, for playing and acheiving scores. But just as importantly, the use of save states to practice - this is also a no-no in the MGL. The idea of the MGL is that you play the game as if it was in an Arcade. IE you're walking up to it and inserting a coin. Using save states to practice for eg, just the really hard bits or later levels, gives you an advantage that you would not have got by playing the game in it's natural state.

Coin feeding (continuing) if thegame supports it for practice is OK - as that's the natural state of the machine.

That is all.

3 Hours left for Gyruss, players!

kane
7th August 2011, 05:12 PM
Gyruss - 1, Kane - 0. :(

Pelly
7th August 2011, 05:15 PM
PB for me, only 2 stops from Earth this time. If I had more time to learn this one I recon I could get bigger scores <_<

John73
7th August 2011, 05:47 PM
Haven't played this since Monday. Might give it one more go shortly. I hope no one comes out of the woodwork and clobbers my score in the last hour :rolleyes

Jed
7th August 2011, 06:08 PM
Haven't played this since Monday. Might give it one more go shortly. I hope no one comes out of the woodwork and clobbers my score in the last hour :rolleyes

I can guarantee you that Spartan will. He hasn't posted in a week :laugh:

John73
7th August 2011, 06:11 PM
I can guarantee you that Spartan will. He hasn't posted in a week :laugh:

Where does spartan live? I'll go around and cut his internet connection so he can't post :P

DKong
7th August 2011, 06:28 PM
Had a couple of games after work tonight but couldn't beat my last weeks effort.

Was hoping to beat my best :(

DKong
7th August 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm enjoying Swimmer more than Gyruss... the slower pace of swimmer suits me a bit more :) but I fired up for a few more cracks today and managed to get within 1 warp of Earth which I think is a PB for me.

And now a quick word of advice regarding the use of Mame save states, as the topic has come up earlier in the MGL, but also in the Kong-Off, and not really dealt with. (My Bad)

It's always been a no-no of course in the MGL for obvious reasons, for playing and acheiving scores. But just as importantly, the use of save states to practice - this is also a no-no in the MGL. The idea of the MGL is that you play the game as if it was in an Arcade. IE you're walking up to it and inserting a coin. Using save states to practice for eg, just the really hard bits or later levels, gives you an advantage that you would not have got by playing the game in it's natural state.

Coin feeding (continuing) if thegame supports it for practice is OK - as that's the natural state of the machine.

That is all.

3 Hours left for Gyruss, players!

Also is pausing considered a no-no?:)

Jed
7th August 2011, 06:42 PM
Also is pausing considered a no-no?:)

Good point - yes, pausing to catch your breath, have a break etc, is a no-no.

If you're about to crap your pants or something I suppose it's OK :lol

Fire_Power
7th August 2011, 06:45 PM
Best I can do on Gyruss, great game - I found it hard swapping between Swimmer and this - such different paced games.

Rat
7th August 2011, 06:48 PM
Still no earth for me this time round :(

Spartan
7th August 2011, 06:48 PM
My Final Effort: 643, 900

azathoth
7th August 2011, 06:52 PM

Last minute improvement. Again this MGL has brought forth a game that I love that I would of otherwise never got into.

I'll be playing this one after the compo is over. I got to Mars, I gotta get to Earth....

John73
7th August 2011, 06:58 PM
My Final Effort: 643, 900

You Bastard :realmad:

:cry:cry:cry:cry

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Good point - yes, pausing to catch your breath, have a break etc, is a no-no.

If you're about to crap your pants or something I suppose it's OK :lol

Haven't you heard of adult diapers for the hardcore mamers?

Jed
7th August 2011, 07:07 PM
You Bastard :realmad:

:cry:cry:cry:cry

Geez man, you realy should have seen that one coming... It's not like it hasn't happened before :lol

TIME'S UP!

Thanks to everyone who participated and submitted scores.

Congrats to SPARTAN for taking this one out with another last minute post. Final results are:

1. Spartan: 643,900 - 25 points
2. John73: 638,650 - 20 points
3. Woody: 544,900 - 16 points
4. Foot: 426,900 - 13 points
5. DKong: 307,100 - 11 points
6. wongtoplatex: 280,200 - 10 points
7. Brad: 227,350 - 9 points
8. Jammasized: 220,550 - 8 points
9. Pelly: 207,450 - 7 points
10. Rat: 206,300 - 6 points
11. Fire_Power: 168,000 - 5 points
12. Azathoth: 163,100 - 4 points
13. AdamC: 139,750 - 3 points
14. Kane: 137,550 - 2 points
15. shabu: 100,600 - 1 point
Big Giant Head: 83,400
ED_209: 78,450

new game and leaderboard update soonest!

John73
7th August 2011, 07:10 PM
Geez man, you realy should have seen that one coming... It's not like it hasn't happened before :lol

Yeah I knew it was coming, I thought a couple of people might have squashed me and not by just 5000 pts :(

Well done Spartan.

I played myself out in the first 8 days of Gyruss, and then got side tracked with Swimmer a bit. Even if Spartan had have posted this score days ago, I doubt I would have beaten it. My score was pretty much as perfect game as I've ever played, and a lot more practice will be needed to score 640K+ on a regular basis.

Jed
7th August 2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah I knew it was coming, I thought a couple of people might have squashed me and not by just 5000 pts :(

Well done Spartan.

I played myself out in the first 8 days of Gyruss, and then got side tracked with Swimmer a bit. Even if Spartan had have posted this score days ago, I doubt I would have beaten it. My score was pretty much as perfect game as I've ever played, and a lot more practice will be needed to score 640K+ on a regular basis.

It's a great score and a good victory - but I'd like to see scores posted more often, rather than sitting on scores and posting them last minute just for the sake of the win. The fun in the MGL is of the chase, the upping the ante, the chase goes on, etc. but each to their owm, there's no rules on when to submit scores.

In almost 13 seasons of MGL's I doubt there has been a player as all-around good as Spartan, ordinarily, players have their strong and weak games, this is the norm for Arcade games. Not so with Spartan, who seems to have no weaknesses, and is very good at every genre. This is unusual. He's been top 3 in all games except for games where there are crazily high scores in the millions like Bombjack.

So well done Spartan, you are setting a new standard for the MGL I believe, in your all-around ability.