PDA

View Full Version : MGL13 Game 4: BOMB JACK [FINISHED]

Jed
3rd July 2011, 07:02 PM
DKONG explodes into MGL13 with his nomination,

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/bombjack-tourn.jpg

Bomb Jack Description

A platform game where the object is to flap and glide all over the screen collecting bombs. Extra bonuses are awarded for collecting bombs with their fuses lit. Collect all the bombs to complete a screen. Only one bomb at a time has a lit fuse. Collect 20 or more of these lit bombs on a level for a bonus 10k to 50k.

Arcade Museum Entry: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7180

ROM AND DIP SWITCHES:

Rom: bombjack.zip (set 1)

Dip Switches: (press TAB in Mame, copy the below, then select 'reset game')

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/bombjack-dips.gif

To qualify for MGL points you will need to post in this thread, stating your score in the subject line of your message, and include a screenshot. Submit as many score updates as you like, but please post a new message for each new score.

Bomb Jack comp closes 7pm Sunday July 17th.

GOOD LUCK!

LEADERBOARD:

Ramere: 1,445,020
Rat: 1,346,390
Dkong: 1,232,230
Wingtipvortex: 1,174,200
John73: 937,750
Brad: 788,590
SectionZ: 654,390
spartan: 511,500
kane: 504,000
Foot: 451,700
Pelly: 437,410
Jammasized: 337,720
azathoth:52,710
andykmv: 20,040
dezbaz: 4980

John73
3rd July 2011, 07:11 PM
Bombjack is a favorite of mine :cool:

Can't remember what my best score ever was, but it's nowhere close to the current MGL score from Ramere :o

Bomb Jack (set 1) Ramere 2,357,960

Brad
3rd July 2011, 07:15 PM
Bomb Jack (set 1) Ramere 2,357,960

:o:cry

Brad

kane
3rd July 2011, 07:36 PM
There are some serious Bombjack masters around here from what I remember. I'm not one of them... :cry

Jed
3rd July 2011, 07:36 PM
He's been absent so far from this mgl, but maybe this will bring him back :)

Come think of it, i'm pretty sure this was someone else's nomination..

John73
3rd July 2011, 07:43 PM
He's been absent so far from this mgl, but maybe this will bring him back :)

Come think of it, i'm pretty sure this was someone else's nomination..

You're right, it was Dkong who nominated this one.

Had a couple of games already, but the scores are just too pitiful to even post at this stage. Just can not get my figures working tonight and my desktop PC keyboard is doing some real funky things too :cry

John73
3rd July 2011, 08:03 PM

Here's my starting score. Just can not get the hang of it tonight :confused:

Ramere
3rd July 2011, 08:19 PM
Oh man, here we go again!!! Still have remnants of the RSI I developed getting that score, have hardly touched the game sine, about 30 hours of playing in one week & I was Bombed, can't be Jacked putting in another effort like that :laugh:

@lien_Zed
3rd July 2011, 08:22 PM

im sure theres some great players of bombjack.... alas it isnt me

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2990/0000zq.png (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/0000zq.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

John73
3rd July 2011, 08:28 PM

im sure theres some great players of bombjack.... alas it isnt me

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2990/0000zq.png (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/0000zq.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

This was played in MGL X. For the record, here are the people to look out for (all of whom have way better high scores than me) :laugh:

1. Ramere 2,357,960
25 points

2. wingtipvortex 2,011,370
20 points

3. Rat 1,844,430
16 points

4. DKong 1,134,810
13 points

5. SectionZ 933,690
11 points

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Oh man, here we go again!!! Still have remnants of the RSI I developed getting that score, have hardly touched the game sine, about 30 hours of playing in one week & I was Bombed, can't be Jacked putting in another effort like that :laugh:

You could probably play one or two games an be assured that you will be top 3 :laugh: I was actually hoping your internet might be down for the next two weeks and not noticed that this game was nominated :lol

wingtipvortex
3rd July 2011, 08:31 PM
Quick couple of games, played like an amateur:( Been a long time since i fired this up though. Thought this would bring you out of the woodwork Ramere:lol
http://i56.tinypic.com/311sw9z.png

John73
3rd July 2011, 08:35 PM
Quick couple of games, played like an amateur:(

Yeah, real amateur score that one :p

This game was the first arcade game I remember looking at the graphics and saying "holy shit" :cool: The quality of the backdrops blew me away :cool:

Foot
3rd July 2011, 08:41 PM
:o:cry yep

There are some serious Bombjack masters around here from what I remember. I'm not one of them... :cry yep yep

Quick couple of games, played like an amateur:( Been a long time since i fired this up though. Thought this would bring you out of the woodwork Ramere:lol
http://i56.tinypic.com/311sw9z.png

Holy Crap, wayyyyyy back in MGL 3 or something I think I got 260K

Still it's better than Wardner :lol

John73
3rd July 2011, 08:48 PM

I'm done with this for tonight. I'll give it a bash in the morning when my brain is fresh :) I'm sure my best score is around 600-800K

Been at least 20 years since I played this on a real machine, I'm sure it's easier on a cab than it is on a keyboard like most games.

wingtipvortex
3rd July 2011, 09:13 PM

I'm sure it's easier on a cab than it is on a keyboard like most games.

My big scores are done on the keys man:cool: This 800K score was a joystick effort.

Jed
3rd July 2011, 09:18 PM
Quick couple of games, played like an amateur:( http://i56.tinypic.com/311sw9z.pngYou're so modest :lol

John73
3rd July 2011, 09:24 PM
My big scores are done on the keys man:cool: This 800K score was a joystick effort.

That's interesting. There is a stage where I seem to remember being able to get all three bombs going right at the start (level 4?) by hitting the button and hovering, but I can't do it on the keyboard :confused:

kane
3rd July 2011, 09:59 PM
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/bombjack-dips.gif

Those DIPs settings aren't matching mine, I don't have a 10,000 "Initial High Score", I have "Bonus Life" instead, what's the setting for that?

wingtipvortex
3rd July 2011, 10:04 PM
Getting to a million is relatively easy if you work out the bomb sequence. The next million is the hard yards:o

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Those DIPs settings aren't matching mine, I don't have a 10,000 "Initial High Score", I have "Bonus Life" instead, what's the setting for that?
Set bonus life to none. Extra men are achieved with the special coin settings.

shabu
3rd July 2011, 11:12 PM
Getting to a million is relatively easy if you work out the bomb sequence. The next million is the hard yards:o

Thanks Gordon Gekko. :laugh: I haven't played this since the arcades, easily 25 years ago, and even then I barely touched it. Always knew I was going to have to learn this game one day...

Is this an 8 way ? I didn't realise there was a second button on terra cresta till after 6 tonight. :redface Took a break to grab a cuppa - came back to see the game in attract mode showing me sights that genuinely had me going wtf?!! *facepalm

knight76
4th July 2011, 12:18 AM
Wow, probably one of my worst arcade games is Bombjack.

It just annoyed the shit out of me at the arcades with it's nice bright colours and short (for me) game times.

I quickly learned my 20c was better served elsewhere.

John73
4th July 2011, 06:53 AM

My early morning effort :) Would like to crack 1,000,000 on this game.

Pelly
4th July 2011, 08:51 AM
Never played this one before either! :P But after a few goes last night I could only muster around 35k . I think it is time do do some research and learn the techniques :) Still I will spend most of my time this week on Jungle King.. determined to take that one out!

Brad
4th July 2011, 09:03 AM
Geez makes my 400,000 look pretty amateur :o

Brad

wingtipvortex
4th July 2011, 12:14 PM
Made some stupid mistakes in that game:( Missed a few "Es" and lost most of my lives on one level:lol But that is the nature of this game.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zj88m.png

John73
4th July 2011, 09:02 PM
I think you scared everyone away for the moment with that score WTV :laugh:

I've improved my score by another 10K, I wanna improve a bit more than that before I post another score :D

@lien_Zed
4th July 2011, 09:46 PM
Made some stupid mistakes in that game:( Missed a few "Es" and lost most of my lives on one level:lol But that is the nature of this game.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zj88m.png

far out man!!!
i cant even finish screen 2:lol

wingtipvortex
4th July 2011, 10:04 PM
I think you scared everyone away for the moment with that score WTV :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing today:lol What you gotta realize is this, i ain't the best gamer by far on here, its just a game i love to play for some reason. I truly believe 500K+ can be achieved by most here. Just get the bombs in order and take your time doing it.

Pelly
4th July 2011, 10:50 PM
ok, I think I have figured out how to play this game now... :P First half decent score after a few games.

John73
5th July 2011, 07:30 AM
Just get the bombs in order and take your time doing it.

I still remember almost all of the patterns, but if you have never played this before and haven't seen anyone play then it could be quite hard to work out. If you get the correct bomb to start, then the patterns are easy to follow - but start in the wrong place and it buggers your chance of getting the 50K bonus rather quickly IMO.

John73
5th July 2011, 01:33 PM

Finally broke the 600K mark after about 40 games of not even getting to 500K :cool:

Anyone interested in breaking the TwinGalaxies record?

1 21,601,120 Paolo dyo Colman Apr 08 2011 INP

:o:o:o:o:o

I downloded in INP file for this a couple of months ago. Unbelievable :o Played on Bird Speed : Hard and Enemies No & Speed: Medium (which I think gives you more opportunity for points)

kane
5th July 2011, 07:15 PM
I've recovered most of my old Bomb Jack mojo now, like others I haven't played it since last MGL. The first game I played I got 7k, I had completely forgotten how to play. Some levels I had no idea on the bomb pattern (level 5), others (like level 8) I just knew straight away and nailed the 50k on the first try, freaky.

John73
5th July 2011, 08:00 PM
I've recovered most of my old Bomb Jack mojo now, like others I haven't played it since last MGL. The first game I played I got 7k, I had completely forgotten how to play. Some levels I had no idea on the bomb pattern (level 5), others (like level 8) I just knew straight away and nailed the 50k on the first try, freaky.

I don't like level 5 - first level I really have problems with :redface I know the pattern, but it can be unpredictable (the way I do it anyway). The next time round that the "city lights" comes it is easier once you've done it a couple of times.

I seem to always lose a life when I see that magic "E" coin - so anxious to get it that I finally grab it and then get nailed by an enemy :laugh:

Am I missing a DIP switch setting or am I losing my mind? I'm sure there used to be a "special" coin in this game that would give you a free credit (brand new game, not a continue) if you go it :confused:

wingtipvortex
5th July 2011, 08:06 PM
Am I missing a DIP switch setting or am I losing my mind? I'm sure there used to be a "special" coin in this game that would give you a free credit (brand new game, not a continue) if you go it :confused:
The Special ( S ) will eventually come out John, but don't get it, as your level will end there and then. No 50K bonus.

John73
5th July 2011, 08:22 PM
The Special ( S ) will eventually come out John, but don't get it, as your level will end there and then. No 50K bonus.

Oh okay. Thanks for that :D I thought I might have seen it already given the number of games I've played - even if I've only gotten beyond Level 12 a couple of times :confused:

Bombjack must have been one of the few arcade games (i.e. not pinball) where you could win a free game that I played. Don't recall any other arcade games giving away credits off the top of my head :confused:

wingtipvortex
5th July 2011, 08:28 PM
Oh okay. Thanks for that :D I thought I might have seen it already given the number of games I've played - even if I've only gotten beyond Level 12 a couple of times :confused:

Bombjack must have been one of the few arcade games (i.e. not pinball) where you could win a free game that I played. Don't recall any other arcade games giving away credits off the top of my head :confused:
And as a point of trivia, when you get the S its meant to say on the screen " you are lucky" but it actually says " you are lucy " :lol

John73
5th July 2011, 08:32 PM
And as a point of trivia, when you get the S its meant to say on the screen " you are lucky" but it actually says " you are lucy " :lol

I'm going to grab the S coin just to see that now :lol Those crazy Japanese and not spell checking :D

I guess if they got stuff spell checked and grammar checked properly then the game "Donkey Kong" would have been called something stupid like "Monkey Kong" :lol

Rat
5th July 2011, 09:16 PM
MrDo gives a free game.

wingtipvortex
5th July 2011, 09:22 PM
MrDo gives a free game.
The diamond plus 8K? If i remember correctly. And it makes a cool noise when it pops up.

Spartan
5th July 2011, 10:37 PM
I remember seeing Bomb Jack as a young kid but never played it. Finding it very difficult. :realmad: It would appear that you need to be very quick clearing each level or too many enemies turn up. I am just going to focus on learning one screen a day and aim for perfect scores. Won't be getting many, if any points at the end of this round. Any way, current score:190,200

wingtipvortex
5th July 2011, 10:43 PM
It would appear that you need to be very quick clearing each level or too many enemies turn up.
Ill say this, the more enemies the better for scores. And letting all the enemies out gives you practice at " evasive action " for the latter stages:cool: This is how i learned the game, so to speak.

Jed
5th July 2011, 10:49 PM
Wow, probably one of my worst arcade games is Bombjack.

I quickly learned my 20c was better served elsewhere.

Same same.... I know the *entire* taswegian MGL contigent love this game though :rolleyes

wingtipvortex
5th July 2011, 10:57 PM
Same same.... I know the *entire* taswegian MGL contigent love this game though :rolleyes
I was thinking this the other day, and noticed this was a popular game for us tassie guys. I guess when actual skill is involved in gaming......we kick ass:lol:lol:lol

shabu
5th July 2011, 11:15 PM
I guess when actual skill is involved in gaming......we kick ass:lol:lol:lol

Roffle. It is so on...

wingtipvortex
5th July 2011, 11:19 PM
Roffle. It is so on...

:lol Bring it biiaatch

John73
6th July 2011, 11:37 AM

Getting closer to the 1,000,000. Don't know if I have the reflexes to add another 250K :laugh:

SectionZ
6th July 2011, 01:24 PM
I'm playing the best I've ever played, this wasn't my best effort but will do for starters.

Went close to the mil last time, hopefully I can finally crack it..

John73
6th July 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm playing the best I've ever played, this wasn't my best effort but will do for starters.

Went close to the mil last time, hopefully I can finally crack it..

I'll race you to the Million. Loser buys the other a beer :laugh:

Level 7 is still doing my head in, I'm sure I used to be able to get the 50K but I just can't do it anymore :confused:

John73
6th July 2011, 02:28 PM

Finally got the special coin :026: :026: I'd already stuffed up the level, so I grabbed it :D Looks like they must have fixed up the "You are Lucy" typo in this ROM set :laugh:

DKong
6th July 2011, 07:32 PM

Yes it was the first and only arcade game to hit Tas in the 80's, and all 10 of us used to fight to play it.

Remember it fondly at the Damper and Billy tea takeaway.

One of us did have to use the pedal generator though to get the power up.
:D

wingtipvortex
6th July 2011, 07:42 PM
Yes it was the first and only arcade game to hit Tas in the 80's, and all 10 of us used to fight to play it.

:lol

Jed
6th July 2011, 08:36 PM

Ah, the good old frontier land of Tasmania in the 80's. The land that time forgot.

A quick 2 million on bombjack, then it was back down the pit ?

shabu
6th July 2011, 09:55 PM
Be this the pit, master gravedigger ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFKtTi1R4-E

Rat
7th July 2011, 11:43 AM
"Hi, my name is Rat, I'm from Tassie and I love Bombjack"

With the high unemployment rate, especially for teenagers in Tassie in the 80's we had plenty of time and not much cash. Games like Bombjack and MrDo that give unlimited extra lives and even free credits were worth learning because they gave the best value for money. I'm surprised at peoples comments about not playing this game because it was not good value, I found the exact opposite, I could play for hours and walk away leaving a free game or two for someone else.
Bombjack has the best mix of patterns and random game play, predictable but not to the point of boring, no two games are exactly the same, great difficulty curve, very good collision detection that even lets you go through a newly appearing enemy, I never feel ripped off when hit, unlike other games such as Terra Cresta. The graphics were awesome for the day, and still look good now IMO, the music is OK, and when I started playing yesterday the Mrs started singing along rather than asking me to turn it down as she would with some 80's games. Bombjack, what's not to like? :D

Playing yesterday I quickly fell into the "reset trap" that can plague me on all games even pinball, where I'm not happy with my first man or first screen score and reset multiple times, thus not getting practice on later stages and undermine my overall score progression. I found myself trying to get 100k on the first screen, but my best was 96,920. It is possible to get 1mill by round 10, I'm sure I have achieved this in the past, but it's difficult and not necessary to get a great score. After I started caring less about point scabbing, my scores increased, but I still pulled up just short of 1mill. Will I put in the effort to beat the other Tassie boys this time round? dunno, my PB in the arcades was about 30mill retired, but my PB at home on mame would be about 2mill.

I know it's early to be giving tips so the only one I will give is as above, don't worry too much about not getting a bonus score on all the rounds, some are better to just complete quickly without getting hit. There will always be another easy round coming up.

I know it's "each to their own" and all that shit, but I think if you don't like Bombjack then you are wrong and clearly a wanker :lol

John73
7th July 2011, 12:00 PM
Well said Rat :D

I was in Vic in the 80's is that close enough to Tassie? I spent so much money on this game :laugh:

I'm happy with anything over 60K on the first screen at this stage. How the hell do you get 90K+? :o I'm guessing you need let all the enemies out and get them with 5x, but I never seem to get more than 2 of the multiplier coins on stage 1 :confused: Must be something I'm missing, guess someone (you?) may give us a hint next week :D

DKong
7th July 2011, 12:28 PM
Well said Rat :D

I was in Vic in the 80's is that close enough to Tassie? I spent so much money on this game :laugh:

I'm happy with anything over 60K on the first screen at this stage. How the hell do you get 90K+? :o I'm guessing you need let all the enemies out and get them with 5x, but I never seem to get more than 2 of the multiplier coins on stage 1 :confused: Must be something I'm missing, guess someone (you?) may give us a hint next week :D

Try a bit of wing flapping against the sides to increase your score to a 5000 multiple for the X bonus;) Very helpful if you say have 4960 flap againts wall four times X bonus.

It is possible to get X5 on every screen

Off for a couple of games, its been a while :)

Brad
7th July 2011, 01:03 PM
I loved Bombjack as a kid and they were everywhere in Sydney. I'm stuffed if I know how you can get 100,000 on the first screen though? I mean I know the 50,000 point bomb patterns but WTF on the rest :confused:

Brad

DKong
7th July 2011, 01:25 PM
I loved Bombjack as a kid and they were everywhere in Sydney. I'm stuffed if I know how you can get 100,000 on the first screen though? I mean I know the 50,000 point bomb patterns but WTF on the rest :confused:

Brad

You have to play it on hard setting which gives an extra enemy, so X5 on both P's when P is platinum, the hard part is working up X5 before the first P and leaving enough bombs to get the second P.
Plus all bombs are worth 1000 with X5.

If that makes sense :)

John73
7th July 2011, 02:20 PM
Try a bit of wing flapping against the sides to increase your score to a 5000 multiple for the X bonus;) Very helpful if you say have 4960 flap againts wall four times X bonus.

It is possible to get X5 on every screen

Off for a couple of games, its been a while :)

Thanks for the tip :cool:

I had a weird feeling that you could do something like this, but it's been 20+ years since I played this in the arcade. So for others that may not understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, if you are going down the left wall - press the left key/joystick and alternate between that and your button press. 10pts a go x by your current multiplier. Adds up real quick when you are 3, 4 or 5x :)

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

You have to play it on hard setting which gives an extra enemy, so X5 on both P's when P is platinum, the hard part is working up X5 before the first P and leaving enough bombs to get the second P.
Plus all bombs are worth 1000 with X5.

If that makes sense :)

So if you just hang around on the screen and dodge enemy's then the multiplier coins will eventually show up? :confused: I'll give it a go now and see what I can work out :)

SectionZ
7th July 2011, 02:21 PM
Score progress...

We had a Bomjack in the arcade/cafe we used to hang out in, but it was more popular with the girls :laugh:

The lads were occupied with 'Track n field', 'Rygar' & 'Double Dragon', mind you I used to play Pacland, Wonderboy & Wardner alot too :redface

SZ

DKong
7th July 2011, 03:02 PM
So if you just hang around on the screen and dodge enemy's then the multiplier coins will eventually show up? :confused: I'll give it a go now and see what I can work out :)

You have to increase your score to multiple of 5000 ie 5000 X2 comes out 10000 X3 etc .

Jed
7th July 2011, 03:43 PM
Score progress...

We had a Bomjack in the arcade/cafe we used to hang out in, but it was more popular with the girls :laugh:

:lol

I tried to read what Rat said but that much text makes my eyes itch and want to close :sleep

This game was known as 'Bumjack' to the folks at my Arcade :D

DKong
7th July 2011, 04:22 PM
Was a bit rusty on the first few games, took the dogs for a walk after suffering some frustration, came back and managed this

a PB for me on this particular cab :D

DKong
7th July 2011, 04:35 PM
Leaderboard updated as well :D

John73
7th July 2011, 05:40 PM
You have to increase your score to multiple of 5000 ie 5000 X2 comes out 10000 X3 etc .

Thanks. I haven't got around to doing any research on BJ yet, I would have never worked that out :redface

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Was a bit rusty on the first few games, took the dogs for a walk after suffering some frustration, came back and managed this

a PB for me on this particular cab :D

Nice. Looks like Ramere's high score might get knocked off by whoever wins this one :)

kane
7th July 2011, 06:28 PM
New score, bettered my PB by 50% so I'm stoked!

Rat
7th July 2011, 10:22 PM
207,310 on the second round, got 99,130 on round one, could have cracked the 100k, will be interesting to see if anyone gets 1mill by round 10, I don't think I will this time.

DKong
7th July 2011, 10:40 PM
207,310 on the second round, got 99,130 on round one, could have cracked the 100k, will be interesting to see if anyone gets 1mill by round 10, I don't think I will this time.

Best I could get was 86,900 first round, then around late 600,000 by round 10, my best scoring screen are the bonus ones 5, 10,15 etc can get over 150,000 on these just have to work the others.

The green screens used to be my nemesis but now get 50,000 on them.\\\

So post a score ya pilgrim :P

John73
8th July 2011, 08:53 AM
I've been practicing point scabbing this morning, and all I've learnt how to do so far is die several times on level 1 :cry

It has only just dawned on me that you get points every time you jump and when you hit the top of the screen, side of the screen or a platform :D Never really taken much notice of how the points add up as you play :laugh:

Brad
8th July 2011, 01:01 PM
This game was known as 'Bumjack' to the folks at my Arcade :D

Me too mate me too.

Damn I have been so damn busy over the last week and a half I've only played 2 games of Bombjack and 4 games of Jungle King =(

Brad

andykmv
8th July 2011, 02:00 PM
26013well, might as well post my pitiful attempt.

Rat
8th July 2011, 08:14 PM
Got 101300 on the first round, that's enough of that stuffing about, seems like WTV and DKong are getting more bonus' later on as I'm coming 3rd but have completed a couple more rounds.

wingtipvortex
8th July 2011, 09:06 PM
Nice first level effort Rat!! I don't have the patience to pull that kind of score off, well done:cool:

Brad
9th July 2011, 02:18 PM
Yay cracked the 500k mark

John73
9th July 2011, 03:44 PM
Yay cracked the 500k mark

:o you knocked me down one more in the rankings :cry

Haven't had a game the last day or so; got too preoccupied with point scabbing and not getting beyond 200K :laugh:

kane
9th July 2011, 03:55 PM
500k mark cracked for me too, I think I've improved a tonne already, it'll be interesting to see what I can get up to with another week still to go.

Brad
9th July 2011, 04:34 PM
My problem is I need to stop playing bombjack and put some sort of effort into jungle king. But I actually enjoy playing bombjack and find jungle king a struggle =(

Brad

Rat
9th July 2011, 05:28 PM
Phew...........

DKong
9th July 2011, 05:35 PM
Phew...........

Round 39 marathon effort, should be able to pull that score in the early 30's good effort mate hows father time been with you on BombJack :)

Remember the day I bought my first Hankin cocktail with Bombjack and we both had a marathon game, well over 1,000,000, we were like another game nah have to do something in a hour:lol

Brad
9th July 2011, 05:37 PM
Round 39 :o:o:o

Brad

Rat
9th July 2011, 06:23 PM
Round 39 marathon effort, should be able to pull that score in the early 30's good effort mate hows father time been with you on BombJack :)

Remember the day I bought my first Hankin cocktail with Bombjack and we both had a marathon game, well over 1,000,000, we were like another game nah have to do something in a hour:lol

When I get up there in the rounds I don't focus so much on the bonus, if you can survive you can keep scoring, there will always be another easy level to get the 50k on. Once I get in the groove I can get way up in the rounds, from memory over 300 rounds (clocks at 100).

Father time has been a bit hard on me, some of the levels I have forgotten what pattern or tricks I used, I know the pattern of the bombs, but not how I actually used to do the screen. Reflexes are OK, maybe a little slower but not much, patience is lesser :) I remember that game of doubles, even though I got over 1mill with no warm up I still thought it was a crap effort :)

I have to go to work now, so no more games for a few days, and busy when I get back but should get to play some, with the 2 week rule I will definitely get time to play more before close. Dunno if I will return to my arcade days form though, I would guess not, I played a fair bit on MAME about 8 years ago trying to get a TG record (about 10mill at the time) but could not get there then. Playing in the arcade, with limited 20c and a crowd watching was encouraging, you can't emulate that at home :)

DKong
9th July 2011, 06:33 PM
When I get up there in the rounds I don't focus so much on the bonus, if you can survive you can keep scoring, there will always be another easy level to get the 50k on. Once I get in the groove I can get way up in the rounds, from memory over 300 rounds (clocks at 100).

Father time has been a bit hard on me, some of the levels I have forgotten what pattern or tricks I used, I know the pattern of the bombs, but not how I actually used to do the screen. Reflexes are OK, maybe a little slower but not much, patience is lesser :) I remember that game of doubles, even though I got over 1mill with no warm up I still thought it was a crap effort :)

I have to go to work now, so no more games for a few days, and busy when I get back but should get to play some, with the 2 week rule I will definitely get time to play more before close. Dunno if I will return to my arcade days form though, I would guess not, I played a fair bit on MAME about 8 years ago trying to get a TG record (about 10mill at the time) but could not get there then. Playing in the arcade, with limited 20c and a crowd watching was encouraging, you can't emulate that at home :)

All good Ratstar. funny though the only time I have seen you get over 1,000,000 was that day on the cockatail, and Andy(wingtip) could never do it in front of me after the heaps of games we played :laugh:

wingtipvortex
9th July 2011, 09:22 PM
Maybe its the chatting we do in between games? Ive never been able to play in front of an audience.........its a soul thing:lol

Spartan
9th July 2011, 11:44 PM
Might as well post my latest effort.

Pelly
10th July 2011, 01:02 PM
Cracked 400k after a few attempts in the 300's. Don't think I am ever a chance to crack a million though... maybe if I had been playing it since 1985 like some of you :cool:

Jed
10th July 2011, 02:27 PM
I'm slowly beginning to appreciate this game a bit more than I have in the past... I think.

I'm still struggling to come to grips with it though. I'll post when I have something a bit less embarrassing :redface

Good to see more million + scores rolling out though :cool:

dezbaz
12th July 2011, 12:29 AM

Lol

Not a huge fan here, might try again on the cocktail

John73
12th July 2011, 02:27 PM
511K without losing a life.... had 2 extra's added also - first time ever I've had two extra's before losing a life..... and then choked - game over for 627K.

I was probably getting excited about beating my previous best and it got to me :cry either that, or some of the later levels it can be a bit harder to get the power thingy and when I get 6+ enemies on the screen I panic :cry

John73
13th July 2011, 11:27 AM
Damit :realmad: Had a really good game by my standards, died at 732K. 16K short of beating my score. I seem to play better when I don't play too many games in a row. Still hold hopes of getting 1 Million :cool:

John73
13th July 2011, 02:17 PM

Made some really stupid errors, this should have been a 900K game. Includes getting the special coin (didn't realise until it was too late) on level 3 :laugh: and dying twice on level 12 when I should have been able to just clear the level if the stupid P wasn't being naughty :laugh:

wingtipvortex
15th July 2011, 06:10 PM
Leaderboard updated:)

John73
15th July 2011, 07:55 PM
Leaderboard updated:)

I've still got some work to do if I'm going to get 1Mil. I suspect there might be a late score or two that comes in and upsets the leaders ;)

Ramere
16th July 2011, 01:07 AM
Banged a few games out, took a while to remember the patterns from about round 12-13 onwards but starting to get there. Might have another try tomorrow if my back is up to it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/ofo5f5.png

wingtipvortex
16th July 2011, 01:24 AM
ahhh, the BombJack man has arrived:cool: Now i have to start trying.

DKong
16th July 2011, 01:45 AM
Banged a few games out, took a while to remember the patterns from about round 12-13 onwards but starting to get there. Might have another try tomorrow if my back is up to it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/ofo5f5.png

Nice return Ace

Rat
16th July 2011, 08:30 AM
Ahhhhh...beat me by 40k....are you sure that is not an old Hi Score as I see you took the screenie when you got the second place score? ;) I will have to drop round and get a few tips, you are obviously getting many more bonus' on the later levels than me.

As I said earlier my big scores rely on speed and endurance, but I have only had a couple of games over 1mill lately :(

Ramere
16th July 2011, 02:01 PM
All legit Rat ;) This will do me I reckon, time to concetrate on DK Jnr.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2lueyol.png

Rat
16th July 2011, 03:06 PM
Good score !!!!!!

azathoth
16th July 2011, 06:11 PM
Not much time to get better. Good game though.

Jed
16th July 2011, 06:33 PM
I take back what I previously said about Bombjack, after giving it a little bit of time to learn today. Maybe I should have started playing in earnest sooner than the day before it ends ;) not that I would get anywhere near the leaders..

The manic flapping that you need to do at times, reminds me of one of my very favourite arcade games, joust :cool:

Wont have any more time to play this, besides miss 12 y/o has 'dibbsed' the cab for bubble bobble, and wonderboy :D

wingtipvortex
16th July 2011, 08:25 PM
I take back what I previously said about Bombjack, after giving it a little bit of time to learn today. Maybe I should have started playing in earnest sooner than the day before it ends ;) not that I would get anywhere near the leaders..

The manic flapping that you need to do at times, reminds me of one of my very favourite arcade games, joust :cool:

Wont have any more time to play this, besides miss 12 y/o has 'dibbsed' the cab for bubble bobble, and wonderboy :D
I told ya Jamma:cool:

Foot
16th July 2011, 09:00 PM
This what happens when I'm not on holidays :lol

John73
17th July 2011, 11:25 AM

Just over 7 hours left to crack the 1mil <_<

Level 14 and 18 really suck. Lost two lives on 14 and final 2 on level 18 :realmad:

John73
17th July 2011, 04:30 PM

Gave Bombjack a real good last go this arvo, but I think I'll admit defeat. Might have another game or two before 7pm but I'm getting to the stage where I want to belt something so I'll stop for now.

Spartan
17th July 2011, 04:57 PM
My final effort attached.

Score - 511,500

shabu
17th July 2011, 05:01 PM
Spartan - that's unlike you to post a final score so early. :laugh:

Time to start playing this little classic. Have been working around the property all weekend. Still pumping water up to the top tanks.

Foot
17th July 2011, 05:08 PM

quick little buggers on level 10 :lol

Spartan
17th July 2011, 05:26 PM
Spartan - that's unlike you to post a final score so early. :laugh:

Time to start playing this little classic. Have been working around the property all weekend. Still pumping water up to the top tanks.

Really didn't matter, not even in the running this time around.

Jed
17th July 2011, 05:31 PM
Scores Updated

1.5 hours to go for Bombjack, get 'em in while you can.

Pelly
17th July 2011, 06:43 PM
Last ditch effort... very much out of my league with this one.. At least this score moved me up one spot.. *sorry Foot* :confused:

SectionZ
17th July 2011, 06:43 PM
Had a couple of games most days, but went backwards after a good start, just got this today.

Fire_Power
17th July 2011, 06:45 PM

Interesting game, I'd never really tried it much before, but it gets better as you play more. Never really worked out the difference between the letters that float around.

edit: Deities sake, I've just looked at the scores and I'm even further of the pace than my normal poor effort.

wingtipvortex
17th July 2011, 06:52 PM
Very helpful 50K bonus's in the higher rounds. Nowhere near my best, but hopefully enough to take the cake.

http://i51.tinypic.com/27z99gn.png

Jed
17th July 2011, 07:25 PM
Man I am having some problems here tonight :lol I'll try to post this yet again.

TIME'S UP!

Congratulations to WINGTIPVORTEX for his first win in a while :D A big score amongst some really tough competition this round.

Final results are:

1. Wingtipvortex: 1,626,080 - 25 points
2. Ramere: 1,445,020 - 20 points
3. Rat: 1,346,390 - 16 points
4. Dkong: 1,232,230 - 13 points
5. John73: 937,750 - 11 points
6. SectionZ: 887,040 - 10 points
7. Brad: 788,590 - 9 points
8. spartan: 511,500 - 8 points
9. kane: 504,000 - 7 points
10. Pelly: 461,550 - 6 points
11. Foot: 451,700 - 5 points
12. Jammasized: 337,720 - 4 points
13. azathoth: 52,710 - 3 points
14. Fire_power 43,270 - 2 points
15. andykmv: 20,040 - 1 point
16. dezbaz: 4980

New game posted, MGL Leaderboard will be updated shortly.

John73
17th July 2011, 07:34 PM
Well done WTV and all of those who got over 1 Million. I tried my best - I just do not have the reflexes it would seem :(

Might have to download the world record INP and see if I can get some hints before this game comes up again in the future :D

Brad
18th July 2011, 08:36 AM
I achieved my highest ever score on this by far but could not get close to it at all over the last few days. Keep averaging about 500k =(

Well done guys =)

Brad

Rat
18th July 2011, 12:33 PM
Well done WTV..............as predicted Tassie boys take out the top four places :)

After a big night on the grog Sat night I couldn't face having a game at all on Sunday.

kane
18th July 2011, 04:07 PM
Final results are:

1. Wingtipvortex: 1,626,080 - 25 points
2. Ramere: 1,445,020 - 20 points
3. Rat: 1,346,390 - 16 points
4. Dkong: 1,232,230 - 13 points
5. John73: 937,750 - 11 points
6. Brad: 788,590 - 10 points
7. SectionZ: 887,040 - 9 points
8. spartan: 511,500 - 8 points
9. kane: 504,000 - 7 points
10. Pelly: 461,550 - 6 points
11. Foot: 451,700 - 5 points
12. Jammasized: 337,720 - 4 points
13. azathoth: 52,710 - 3 points
14. Fire_power 43,270 - 2 points
15. andykmv: 20,040 - 1 point
16. dezbaz: 4980

What's up with 6th and 7th places?

wingtipvortex
18th July 2011, 04:51 PM
What's up with 6th and 7th places?
Fixed:)

Jed
18th July 2011, 06:55 PM
Fixed:) Thanks :) had a big day riding yesterday, then slammed a few ales a bit too quickly before attempting to do some mgl admin, i was really struggling..

wingtipvortex
18th July 2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks :) had a big day riding yesterday, then slammed a few ales a bit too quickly before attempting to do some mgl admin, i was really struggling..No probs Jamma, i didn't notice myself at all till it was mentioned.

JustAnotherRat
8th March 2014, 07:08 PM
Wrong MGL.... Sorry