PDA

View Full Version : MGL13 Game 1: Crush Roller [FINISHED]

Jed
12th June 2011, 04:32 PM
FOOT puts the boot in and kicks off MGL13 with his nomination,

http://i54.tinypic.com/es598l.jpg

For those new to the MGL - it's important we are all playing with the same ROM and dip switch settings, see below.

ROM NAME: crush.zip (Kural Samno)

DIP SWITCH SETTINGS:

Lives: 3
First Pattern: Easy
Teleport Holes: OFF

GAME DETAILS:

Manufacturer: Kural Samno
Year: 1981
Genre: Labyrinth/Maze
Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)
Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Crush Roller Description

The player controls a paintbrush to paint paths within a maze. The player is harassed by two fish which can be temporarily destroyed by running them over with a one of two paint rollers located near the maze center. A critter occasionally emerges to leave footprints on painted areas which must then be repainted.

For more info, visit http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7454

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the body of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

Crush Roller comp closes 7PM June 26th.

LEADERBOARD:

Knight76: 148,640
Foot: 138,320
Spartan: 125,370
Pelly: 123,100
Kane: 111,220
Johns-Arcade: 110,990
Jammasized: 80,400
azathoth: 67,550
Brad: 60,620
SectionZ: 58,910
Rat: 40,740
Firepower: 38,390
John73: 32,260
Gameroom: 28,490
DKong: 24,130
Dezbaz: 23,350
RetrozOr: 22,710
Hollo: 16,330
wingtipvortex: 13,650
Shabu: 10,470
@lien_Zed: 7,020

Foot
12th June 2011, 05:19 PM
Hehehe

Trivia - You know that marque is the actual one that I have in my shed

Rat
12th June 2011, 05:21 PM
Cool, a nice quick game :)

John73
12th June 2011, 05:41 PM

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/0000.png

I'll start things off with this crap score :lol I've only given it half an hour so far, but very difficult.

Come on Foot and others that have played this, start dishing the tips :D

Fire_Power
12th June 2011, 05:44 PM
Cool game indeed, one of my favs, although according to my Mame playing mates I'm a sad middle aged git with a penchant for maze games from the early eighties!

I submit the first score of 18970.

Edit - Dam you John, I submit my first score

@lien_Zed
12th June 2011, 06:02 PM
cool, found the game we are to play, yippie, off to the cabinet i go

Jed
12th June 2011, 07:04 PM
Come on Foot and others that have played this, start dishing the tips :DTips come later in the course of a game. I for one don't want to see tips or howto's posted so close to a game start, especially given each game is now 2 weeks. Part of the fun with MGL is learning how to play an unfamiliar game your own way. So, have fun with it :)

wingtipvortex
12th June 2011, 07:14 PM
Tips come later in the course of a game. I for one don't want to see tips or howto's posted so close to a game start, especially given each game is now 2 weeks. Part of the fun with MGL is learning how to play an unfamiliar game your own way. So, have fun with it :)
I second that:) Pump in those credits and bash it out for a while first. The learning curve is part of the fun bits:cool:

John73
12th June 2011, 07:19 PM

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/0001.png

That might do me for a while. May give it another bash later on tonight, but I tend to play games best first thing in the mornings :cool:

Tips come later in the course of a game. I for one don't want to see tips or howto's posted so close to a game start, especially given each game is now 2 weeks. Part of the fun with MGL is learning how to play an unfamiliar game your own way. So, have fun with it :)

Fair enough

@lien_Zed
12th June 2011, 08:16 PM
well i played for a while, it kinda reminds me of pacman a bit.... and it bored me to tears as well unfortunately.... i just cant get in to this game, played it a few times,never played it before, and never will ever again, lol

best score 7020:lol25184

might have a few glasses of wine and try again:lol

John73
12th June 2011, 08:27 PM
well i played for a while, it kinda reminds me of pacman a bit.... and it bored me to tears as well unfortunately.... i just cant get in to this game, played it a few times,never played it before, and never will ever again, lol

best score 7020:lol25184

might have a few glasses of wine and try again:lol

Can't say it's my cup of tea either :lol oh well, win some you lose some I guess :D

Rat
12th June 2011, 08:51 PM
I just installed a new soundcard Asus Xonar Essence STX and the soundtrack of this game is really ummmmmm, actually I heard "can you put your headphones on dear?" a request that I nearly always ignore ;) but I could sympathize.

I like this game, but I'm not good at it, I tried a few wines and got 7k so @lien_Zed I can confirm that wont help :) I think my PB is a bit over 10k, so I'm not gunna take this one out. Those that invest the time to learn patterns will do well, I wont be able to find the time for that.

I agree that people shouldn't give tips this early.

Foot
12th June 2011, 08:57 PM
What is this learn patterns you speak of?

Spartan
12th June 2011, 09:10 PM
Hate this game. Anyway, my score of 24,040 should send me to the top of the leaderboard for at least 5 mins.

John73
12th June 2011, 09:25 PM
Hate this game. Anyway, my score of 24,040 should send me to the top of the leaderboard for at least 5 mins.

8 mins and you are still at the top :lol

I will try again now, but I'm pissed :D

I will persist with this a bit more over the week :rolleyes

I hope it's not cheating, but I downloaded an INP file to see what I'm missing - it got me a few more points but I'll be buggered if I can play like the guy who posted this file :cry

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I just installed a new soundcard Asus Xonar Essence STX and the soundtrack of this game is really ummmmmm, actually I heard "can you put your headphones on dear?" a request that I nearly always ignore ;) but I could sympathize.

I'm single ATM :( But I'll keep this game in mind if I ever need to get out of a relationship :lol If really is a relationship killing tune :D

wingtipvortex
12th June 2011, 09:29 PM
I hope it's not cheating, but I downloaded an INP file to see what I'm missing - it got me a few more points but I'll be buggered if I can play like the guy who posted this file :cry[COLOR="Silver"]

Its not cheating in the MGL, but i reckon you are cheating yourself not giving it a go for at least a day or two without looking at things like this. My opinion only:)

John73
12th June 2011, 09:34 PM
Its not cheating in the MGL, but i reckon you are cheating yourself not giving it a go for at least a day or two without looking at things like this. My opinion only:)

I know what you're saying. But when you aren't even close to finishing the 2nd level of a game after a couple of hour :rolleyes As I posted in the nom's thread - never seen or played this game. If I played it in the old days at the arcade, I wouldn't have used more that $2 worth of 20 cent coins unless I got a hint how to play it :D

wingtipvortex
12th June 2011, 09:47 PM
If I played it in the old days at the arcade, I wouldn't have used more that $2 worth of 20 cent coins unless I got a hint how to play it :D
Really? I can remember playing Dragons Lair, and pumping plenty of coin into it to further myself into the game. I think with youtube and other sites that are accessible, its kinda killed the " work through it " attitude of gaming. Sad really.
But it comes down to self discipline i guess. I have no problem with what you do, but i will always give it some time to discover the little bonuses of each game:) If after some pushed time on a particular one i cant get through, i may look at a vid of someone else doing it. Each to their own though i say:D

John73
12th June 2011, 09:58 PM
Really? I can remember playing Dragons Lair, and pumping plenty of coin into it to further myself into the game. I think with youtube and other sites that are accessible, its kinda killed the " work through it " attitude of gaming. Sad really.
But it comes down to self discipline i guess. I have no problem with what you do, but i will always give it some time to discover the little bonuses of each game:) If after some pushed time on a particular one i cant get through, i may look at a vid of someone else doing it. Each to their own though i say:D

I guess I prefer my games to give you a little bit each time. If a game requires further progress for you memorize patterns then it's not my sort of game. I'll crash and burn in this one and hope the next game is something I want to persist with I guess. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that it's not my sort of game - it just doesn't hold my interest enough to want to chuck more coins in to :D

dezbaz
12th June 2011, 10:55 PM

shabu
13th June 2011, 12:02 AM
it comes down to self discipline. Each to their own though i say

:cool:

http://i53.tinypic.com/11gkmj4.jpg

Jed
13th June 2011, 12:44 AM
But it comes down to self discipline i guess. I have no problem with what you do, but i will always give it some time to discover the little bonuses of each game:)

I agree. I find it difficult to see the payoff / reward when you straight off look at how an expert does it. Kind of similar to what killed 'Magic The Gathering' card game for me, many, many years ago.... when people started using Internet decks, and just copied the experts 'killer decks'. Takes all the individuality and personality out if it and reduces it to a cold science. Not my cup of tea. Mmmmm tea, that's a good idea.

John73
13th June 2011, 04:42 AM
I agree. I find it difficult to see the payoff / reward when you straight off look at how an expert does it. Kind of similar to what killed 'Magic The Gathering' card game for me, many, many years ago.... when people started using Internet decks, and just copied the experts 'killer decks'. Takes all the individuality and personality out if it and reduces it to a cold science. Not my cup of tea. Mmmmm tea, that's a good idea.

I think you've got me wrong or I didn't explain what I meant properly. I have no problem learning a game myself and working through things. My personal opinion of this game, having played lots of video games over the years, is that to me, this game seems unnecessarily hard from the get go. It is almost like it was designed more to suck coins out of the player than to give them opportunity to slowly improve as most games do.

Anyway, my brain is fresh now. I'll have a few more games this morning and see if I can find any improvement.

---

Played another 20 or so games and finally made it to level 4 :) Only improved my high score by a couple of hundred points though :(

Spartan
13th June 2011, 11:02 AM
New hi score - 34, 620

John73
13th June 2011, 11:39 AM

In the spirit of giving this thing a proper go, I've not looked at any further vids of this being played. I played about 20 games earlier this morning, then chucked 99 credits on the machine. So all up I will have played probably 150+ games by the time this hits zero.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/0004.png

I just do not get this game, can not work it out :lol Guessing if you are good at this you're probably good at pacman (which I am not particularly good at).

Anyway, off to get some lunch and maybe do some work on my cab. I'll get into my final 77 credits later this arvo :laugh:

Jed
13th June 2011, 04:19 PM
I think you've got me wrong or I didn't explain what I meant properly. I have no problem learning a game myself and working through things. My personal opinion of this game, having played lots of video games over the years, is that to me, this game seems unnecessarily hard from the get go. It is almost like it was designed more to suck coins out of the player than to give them opportunity to slowly improve as most games do.

And this is with the dip switch settings on easy, wonder how hard it would be otherwise :blink:

Maybe FOOT is just a masochist :D

John73
13th June 2011, 04:28 PM
And this is with the dip switch settings on easy, wonder how hard it would be otherwise :blink:

Maybe FOOT is just a masochist :D

I think I remember reading on one of the sites that the 2nd Level is straight into Hard. So playing easy only really helps you through the first level.

Had a few more games, and haven't cracked 20K again, in fact a good game for me is getting the extra paintbrush at 10K :confused:

Brad
13th June 2011, 04:34 PM
Man this game is a killer. I cannot seem to get a decent run. I'll have one "decent" game and about 10 bad ones :lol

@lien_Zed
13th June 2011, 06:42 PM
Man this game is a killer. I cannot seem to get a decent run. I'll have one "decent" game and about 10 bad ones :lol

a decent game at this one, how do you do that, bloody hell i cant even finish the second screen for crying out loud!:lol:lol

John73
13th June 2011, 06:44 PM
a decent game at this one, how do you do that, bloody hell i cant even finish the second screen for crying out loud!:lol:lol

I'll give you a tip, when you get passed level 2, level 3 aint any easier :lol

kane
13th June 2011, 07:49 PM
No idea how you are all getting these scores...

John73
13th June 2011, 08:07 PM
Very difficult game this one, even set on the "apparently" easy level

The whole concept of this game is amusing though - like a lot of Japanese games. A paintbrush which dies when fish (who walk/swim on land) catch you. What drugs were these guys smoking when they came up with this? :lol

wingtipvortex
13th June 2011, 09:13 PM
Please guys, at least wait for a few days before spilling the beans. What may be obvious to some, don't mean its obvious to others. Just a gentle reminder:cool:

Hollo
13th June 2011, 09:55 PM
Just DLed the rom (wasn't in my Mame list), so hopefully it'll work with my version of Mame. Can tell straight off it's not going to be my type of game though....

John73
14th June 2011, 05:10 AM
Please guys, at least wait for a few days before spilling the beans. What may be obvious to some, don't mean its obvious to others. Just a gentle reminder:cool:

Sorry :redface

@lien_Zed
14th June 2011, 06:55 AM
I'll give you a tip, when you get passed level 2, level 3 aint any easier :lol

wow, thanks mate, your such a big help :lol

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

glad to see im not not the only one struggling with this game :D

Jed
14th June 2011, 07:49 AM
Leaderboard updated, see end of first post.

Brad
14th June 2011, 08:49 AM
I'm cursing this game. I must have had at least 40 games of it yesterday and just can't seem to nail it.

Brad

John73
14th June 2011, 09:12 AM
I'm cursing this game. I must have had at least 40 games of it yesterday and just can't seem to nail it.

Brad

I agree. I reckon I've had about 100 games so far. I've tried all sorts of different things but for the life of me I can not work it out. This has to be the most frustratingly difficult arcade game I've ever played :realmad: 95% of the time I can't even get passed level 2, even if I have all 3 paintbrushes intact at the start of the level :realmad: I don't want to toss in the towel after 2 days, but I'm getting pretty close to it :o

Fire_Power
14th June 2011, 09:37 AM
I've been playing Crush Roller for years and always found it hard, but addictive. The only difference now is MGL is making me focus harder on it, sadly with the same poor results.

Brad
14th June 2011, 10:00 AM
I'm the same. It's a childhood memory so is in my favourites list on my mame cabs. If anything the MGL has given easily the highest score I've ever had. Before this it was about 17,000. Like I said, wait for Foot to stamp our scores into the ground though. :confused:

Brad

Foot
14th June 2011, 11:32 AM

Brad

I've had two games

DKong
14th June 2011, 11:36 AM
Scored my first 6400, woo hoo. I just can't trap those fish once they past the 1600 mark.

Quick game anyway :) Have been playing on the keyboard, about to try it on the cab.

Pelly
14th June 2011, 06:28 PM
Just had my first game on it.. nutz game, never even knew it existed. THe beauty of MGL some would say :P Anyway best I could muster was 6,020. Will post a pic when I get a better score :P

Jed
15th June 2011, 12:27 PM
Poor form, I haven't had a crack at this yet. Moved my upright cab on the weekend and now the @#$% monitor needs degaussing, and I can't find my wand. That's my excuse anyway :rolleyes

Brad
15th June 2011, 12:35 PM
I had to switch the cab I was playing it on. The arcade monitor on the original isn't showing pink in the second level so I couldn't tell what I'd painted and what I hadn't. I'm guessing either some colour tweaking is needed or the monitor/chassis is wonky/dying =(

Brad

knight76
15th June 2011, 06:11 PM
Here a starter from me.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crus0003.png

Improved my score slightly.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crush.png

John73
15th June 2011, 08:03 PM
Here a starter from me.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crus0003.png

Improved my score slightly.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crush.png

You've knocked me down one in the rankings :realmad:

Nice score though :)

I just had a quick game, and I think I may have worked out how to kill those stupid fish when they get a bit smarter :cool: No more time to play tonight though, gotta watch the Origin. I'll give it another shot tomorrow possibly.

Go Queensland :D

Foot
15th June 2011, 08:11 PM
Ok I've had 3 games now, improved my score from my second game by 27k

DKong
15th June 2011, 08:22 PM

So what it is now ??

Had my 30th game and my best score yet, still on first level :rolleyes

Jed
15th June 2011, 08:27 PM
Finally had a go, I've not played this before but I remember seeing it in arcades, that bright green paint was unmissable. I fail to see how anyone could hate this game, it's vintage 80's maze goodness :) I'm enjoying it, I'm shit, after 10 credits I've not scored more than 6k, but still enjoying it :) I think a few beers has definitely helped though :40s:after all , one handed games like this are made for it!

DKong
15th June 2011, 08:30 PM

Lets whining more Admin :lol

Just updated the leader board hope you don't mind Jamma ;)

kane
15th June 2011, 08:45 PM
Finally made some headway with this game and my hatred for it is slowly subsiding. Tripled my score and only moved up one place though :(

John73
15th June 2011, 08:48 PM

Unless your score in your first game was 10, then I'm guessing you've beaten my score :lol

DKong
15th June 2011, 08:51 PM
Unless your score in your first game was 10, then I'm guessing you've beaten my score :lol

Old Foot holds the MGL record from back 08? around 77,000 from memory, I'm guessing he is on around the 83,350 mark:D

edit He is a Crusher Expert!

Jed
15th June 2011, 09:42 PM
Lets whining more Admin :lol

Just updated the leader board hope you don't mind Jamma ;)

Good on yer Dkong :) Please do, whenever you like!

A lot of close scores so far, could be a very close finish on this one. I've finally hit 10k after another beer but it's slow progress here in Garageland so far. If I can make 20k by my first night's playing I'll be very happy, but that could mean a late night... oh well :D

DKong
15th June 2011, 09:56 PM
Good on yer Dkong :) Please do, whenever you like!

A lot of close scores so far, could be a very close finish on this one. I've finally hit 10k after another beer but it's slow progress here in Garageland so far. If I can make 20k by my first night's playing I'll be very happy, but that could mean a late night... oh well :D

Tell you what this here is some smart arse AI on this game, very clever ;) Once you outsmart them they get harder:realmad: Really starting to like this game now for the challenge.

Need it on my Ipad :lol

ED Wingtip can mod/edit highscores etc can't he, pul your finger out Andy :P

Jed
15th June 2011, 10:23 PM
Tell you what this here is some smart arse AI on this game, very clever ;) Once you outsmart them they get harder:realmad: Really starting to like this game now for the challenge.

Need it on my Ipad :lol

ED Wingtip can mod/edit highscores etc can't he, pul your finger out Andy :P

I recently got an Android 'Pad' and am loving it, but no decent Mame yet :( has pretty good Snes and Genesis emus though. Angry Birds is getting a hammering :lol

If between you and Andy you could take care of the Leaderboards, that would be really great? :) Especially given there will be two leaderboards to maintain after this Sunday when game two kicks off, I could do with the assistance.

I've made a banner for MGL13 to fit the theme, a joint effort between me and Shabu, a good friend and another player on here. Should be uploaded shortly :)

Johns-Arcade
15th June 2011, 10:57 PM
Ok I'm in, here it is 110990.

Sorry, but for whatever reason I just can't get a bigger attachment.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

DKong
15th June 2011, 11:46 PM
I recently got an Android 'Pad' and am loving it, but no decent Mame yet :( has pretty good Snes and Genesis emus though. Angry Birds is getting a hammering :lol

If between you and Andy you could take care of the Leaderboards, that would be really great? :) Especially given there will be two leaderboards to maintain after this Sunday when game two kicks off, I could do with the assistance.

I've made a banner for MGL13 to fit the theme, a joint effort between me and Shabu, a good friend and another player on here. Should be uploaded shortly :)

Don't mind updating a score here and there, was hoping Andy would "jump" to the challenge and start using his MGL mod powers ;)

Comeon wingtip :P

New Banner needed , good work!:)

Punctuality is the key to running a comp and it's not easy to get to the forum to update scores and games regularly on time so I thought sharing the load

would make it easier on the guy setting up the games.

I like it when "I know if I log on it will be there"

You are doing a great job Jamma, :)

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Ok I'm in, here it is.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

What is it?

knight76
15th June 2011, 11:55 PM
I think with the rounds now going for two weeks, some will go underground with their scores as there is more time to practice. If you post up a shit hot score early, it sets the benchmark for others. Might be better to play the Billy Mitchel card and play a great score late.

MGL Strategy lol.

DKong
16th June 2011, 12:23 AM
I think with the rounds now going for two weeks, some will go underground with their scores as there is more time to practice. If you post up a shit hot score early, it sets the benchmark for others. Might be better to play the Billy Mitchel card and play a great score late.

MGL Strategy lol.

Thats when the old mid week challenge rule came into play, highest score midweek received bonus points.

I liked it, at the time, no scores were ever posted early at all, except for the noobs :P it got the scores up early at least.

Then gave us the remainder of the week to try and beat it, even a couple of points is enough to entice the poker face out of submission.

come on Foot post your score its crushing me:lol

knight76
16th June 2011, 12:29 AM
Thats when the old mid week challenge rule came into play, highest score midweek received bonus points.

I liked it, at the time, no scores were ever posted early at all, except for the noobs :P it got the scores up early at least.

Then gave us the remainder of the week to try and beat it, even a couple of points is enough to entice the poker face out of submission.

come on Foot post your score its crushing me:lol

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe end of week bonus points would bring out more scores.

DKong
16th June 2011, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe end of week bonus points would bring out more scores.

The two game thing is enough to trial though atm, was just saying it helped bring out the early scores in the past but not liked by most.

anyway back to some crush roller, can never time that !@#@! roller:realmad:

Brad
16th June 2011, 06:33 AM
110,000.....:o Nice work john!

Brad

John73
16th June 2011, 06:56 AM

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Holy Crap :o

I don't mind posting scores from day one, I'm just happy to see how I improve over the 2 week period. Not improving much in this game though :cry

Foot
16th June 2011, 07:45 AM
110K, nice

I might have to have a few more games now :lol

Jed
16th June 2011, 08:16 AM
Way to debut in the MGL JohnnsArcade :) that score throws a cat amongst the pigeons, well done!

About the midweek points, I considered bringing it back given 2 week games for this MGL. But once we have two games going at once, I think there'll be plenty of gaming action anyway :)

Spartan
16th June 2011, 08:24 AM
Update to my score - 69,680

Brad
16th June 2011, 08:53 AM
Eeek....makes my 41,000 score look piss weak

BRad

Foot
16th June 2011, 09:22 AM
Score: 89770

Control panel artwork :rolleyes

Brad
16th June 2011, 09:40 AM
I seem to recognise that artwork ;) Do you have a higher res image of it at all?

Brad

Hollo
16th June 2011, 09:41 AM
Finally had a chance to put this game on the Mame setup last night, but was too tired to really give it a good go. Tonight will be the night!

Johns-Arcade
16th June 2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys, I use to play this game a lot back in the day. It sure is hard playing it on a keyboard though.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Jed
16th June 2011, 03:14 PM
Leaderboard Updated

Johns-Arcade hits the top of the pile and then some. So, this isn't going to be the Foot walkover* that was first thought... Game on!

*yeah, got another Foot joke in

John73
16th June 2011, 05:47 PM
Just noticed the MGL 13 Banner, looks good :cool:

Gonna give this game a bit more of a go on Sat & Sun before Game 2 is announced. Getting more consistent at getting mid 20K's now :)

SectionZ
16th June 2011, 06:22 PM
This was my 2nd game, had a few since but not got close to this.

I've got some catching up to do, by the looks of it !

@lien_Zed
16th June 2011, 07:52 PM
cool, so it looks like im still coming in first place with my score then.....AWESOME!:cool:

Jed
16th June 2011, 08:11 PM
cool, so it looks like im still coming in first place with my score then.....AWESOME!:cool:

I'd say you need to hit refresh/invert there, zed ;)

dezbaz
16th June 2011, 08:34 PM

Johns-Arcade.

Holy mother of god John :)

knight76
16th June 2011, 08:36 PM
Just an update on my score:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crus0005.png

John73
16th June 2011, 08:36 PM
Improved my score to 32260, doesn't move me up but makes my 5th spot or whatever I am a bit safer :D

Can't get stupid photobucket to work so can't post a pic atm :(

dezbaz
16th June 2011, 08:53 PM
Can't get stupid photobucket to work so can't post a pic atm :(

AA now lets you upload a file directly from your PC :)

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

In the Image icon

wingtipvortex
16th June 2011, 08:58 PM
Had a couple of games and im hovering at around 13K. Frustrating but fun:D

John73
16th June 2011, 08:59 PM
Updated score: 32,260

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

In the Image icon

Thanks. Heaps easier than messing about with photobucket

Pelly
16th June 2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Jamma, I thought that I read somewhere that you popsted a list of the games selected for this MGL? For the life of me I can't find it?

Jed
16th June 2011, 09:59 PM
Hey Jamma, I thought that I read somewhere that you popsted a list of the games selected for this MGL? For the life of me I can't find it?

check the nominations thread, the list is on the first post. as for what games will be in this mgl, no one knows, each game is drawn randomly every week by wingtip and his trusty random generator.. so any of the 90-odd games could come up.

wingtipvortex
16th June 2011, 10:09 PM
Banner for MGL 13 looks the goods Jamma:cool: Nice work!

Pelly
16th June 2011, 10:11 PM
ahh ok. Good to know! Something like one of those old school bingo barrels with the wooden balls :P

check the nominations thread, the list is on the first post. as for what games will be in this mgl, no one knows, each game is drawn randomly every week by wingtip and his trusty random generator.. so any of the 90-odd games could come up.

Jed
16th June 2011, 10:27 PM
Banner for MGL 13 looks the goods Jamma:cool: Nice work!

Cheers. a joint effort with Shabu, original art design by....um i forget, maybe shabu could link her work here as it is damn fine.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

ahh ok. Good to know! Something like one of those old school bingo barrels with the wooden balls :P

hehe yep. the random element makes sure no one knows what is coming up, so cant practice ahead of time ;)

wingtipvortex
16th June 2011, 10:29 PM
Thats exactly what i use:laugh:

knight76
17th June 2011, 10:33 AM
Another incremental update.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crus0008.png

Moves me in to 3rd. :D

And what a great start to the MGL. 1st round and there is already a new all time AA record broken.

John73
17th June 2011, 02:22 PM
Just had 15 mins to spare and thought I'd give this another go. I'm back to not even being able to get 10,000 again :cry

I think there must be a special part of the brain that allows people to be good at this game. I am clearly missing this part of the brain :headbuttwall:

Jed
17th June 2011, 04:49 PM
Just had 15 mins to spare and thought I'd give this another go. I'm back to not even being able to get 10,000 again :cry

I think there must be a special part of the brain that allows people to be good at this game. I am clearly missing this part of the brain :headbuttwall:

Same same. My scoring has been ridculously erratic, though consistantly shithouse

kane
17th June 2011, 04:55 PM
Same same. My scoring has been ridculously erratic, though consistantly shithouse

Same same same. Just when I think I have got the hang of it I fall flat again.

FYI you missed my score on page 6 for the updates :unsure, I'll put up a new score soon anyway so no probs.

Jed
17th June 2011, 05:02 PM
Same same same. Just when I think I have got the hang of it I fall flat again.

FYI you missed my score on page 6 for the updates :unsure, I'll put up a new score soon anyway so no probs.

Ok. Hopefully Wingtip or Dkong, keepers of the Leaderboard, can sort the updates out :)

kane
17th June 2011, 06:37 PM
Just when I think I have got the hang of it I fall flat again.

OK, I think I've got the hang of it now...

Rat
17th June 2011, 06:52 PM
This would be a PB for me, I might get round to improving on it, will see.

dezbaz
17th June 2011, 07:10 PM

Still have not got a 6400

Any tips yet guys? :D

I am getting done in the same place every time (See snap)

knight76
17th June 2011, 08:18 PM

Still have not got a 6400

Any tips yet guys? :D

I am getting done in the same place every time (See snap)

Your just not timing your roller right. As you move up higher in the points per fish, they get more cunning running back out of the tunnels. you have to wait that bit longer till they are too far in.

Spartan
17th June 2011, 10:24 PM
That's 3rd back again. Score - 80760

knight76
17th June 2011, 10:29 PM
That's 3rd back again. Score - 80760

Damn, pipped by a 100 points lol.

Foot
17th June 2011, 10:34 PM
1159 views, 101 replies, Go the Crush Roller!

wingtipvortex
17th June 2011, 10:41 PM
1159 views, 101 replies, Go the Crush Roller!
Great response to this game! Best ive seen for a few MGLs indeed. Who nomed it again............thats right, 5 toes and an ankle did:cool:

Foot
17th June 2011, 10:45 PM
Great response to this game! Best ive seen for a few MGLs indeed. Who nomed it again............thats right, 5 toes and an ankle did:cool:

And I'm not sure 110k will be enough to win it. The guys hitting 80 are only a few rolls away from nailing it - Come on!!! (insert leyton Hewitt)

knight76
17th June 2011, 10:59 PM
And I'm not sure 110k will be enough to win it. The guys hitting 80 are only a few rolls away from nailing it - Come on!!! (insert leyton Hewitt)

Your right, a few crucial kills here and there can mean the difference at the end of your game. But 110 is a great score.

What is the closing date of this one? Still another week isn't there?

1159 views sure, but a few hundred of those are me checking if there has been a killer score posted yet! I'm obsessed. :lol

Pelly
17th June 2011, 11:05 PM
Never even knew this game existed until MGL, frustratingly addictive too :P Finally got a half decent score. Still not in the league of the top few places though.

Jed
18th June 2011, 12:01 AM
Scores updated

Wonder if MGL Rookie Johns-Arcade is going to rest on his laurels - as the pack is inching closer all the time...

knight76
18th June 2011, 01:01 AM
Scores updated

Wonder if MGL Rookie Johns-Arcade is going to rest on his laurels - as the pack is inching closer all the time...

Post 101 Spartan beat my score by 100 or so points putting me in my place in 4th :D

I am hoping Johns_Arcade is going to rest on his laurels as I am having enough trouble getting to his level as it is lol.

Jed
18th June 2011, 01:58 AM
Got it, thanks for the heads up.

Just got my first 9k bonus... now I think see how to make my score jump. Just need to work on the moves now, timing, timing, timing :)

Would like to know what screen you guys getting 80k and above are reaching, just for interest's sake ;)

Spartan
18th June 2011, 01:59 AM
Sorry, there will be no resting on laurels for Johns Arcade. Less than 1k ahead of me now. 2nd place and new high score for me -110,180

DKong
18th June 2011, 02:31 AM
Got it, thanks for the heads up.

Just got my first 9k bonus... now I think see how to make my score jump. Just need to work on the moves now, timing, timing, timing :)

Would like to know what screen you guys getting 80k and above are reaching, just for interest's sake ;)

If you look at the bottom of the screen shots , there is an emblem, fish with a halo? (bottom right hand corner) which shows what level/screen:)

Brad
18th June 2011, 06:46 AM
Which means you guys are getting perfect scores on Level 1 & 2......I can't seem to nail the technique required. I haven't played it since monday though. Time to give it another serious bash

Brad

Pelly
18th June 2011, 11:25 AM
Slight improvement - 51,750

Hollo
18th June 2011, 11:47 AM
Had a quick go on this last night and I won't be posting any scores right now... The reason? Well in frustration of not knowing what the hell was going on, I did a search in Japanese on Youtube and found this video:

You can see the guy gets up to 76k in a few minutes and doesn't try at all to paint the whole level! :o

Pelly
18th June 2011, 12:06 PM
Posting that sort of help is taking the fun out of it a bit isn't it?

Hollo
18th June 2011, 12:12 PM
Posting that sort of help is taking the fun out of it a bit isn't it?

Not good posting? I thought it might reduce frustration rather than reduce fun.

knight76
18th June 2011, 12:40 PM
Wow, that video is like cheating really. A flaw in the game for sure.

To get the 80k I am reaching level 3. Those getting 110 would be in to level 4.

You really need to get max points on the first level so 33k, then get as close to max points as you can moving along. The trick is to get double 9k kills to finish the fish off, to do that you have to tempt two fish in to commit, then time it right to kill both. Also you have to keep track of what bonus your up to so you leave the 9k fish till last and can kill both.

Hollo, I don't think that vid is in the spirit of the MGL.

Here is my latest best.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crus0013-1.png

Jed
18th June 2011, 12:41 PM
Not good posting? I thought it might reduce frustration rather than reduce fun.

I'd say that people who have the big scores on this game are already playing this way - ie rolling fish over and over. I didn't watch the whole vid though just the first 30 seconds or so. It makes the game into a bit of a repetitive point presser, and becomes a bit of a yawn, for me anyways :boring: there is a challenge though to pulling the method off over and over - it's pretty satisfying when you get your first 9k and can start to see how to manipulate the fish. Doing it over and over though escapes me so far, I can only perfect the first level so I am miles off.

Far as posting tips / hints we've discussed it already in this thread. It should be OK to share just not too soon in the start of a game. I think around the halfway point is OK, that gives another week for everyone to use new methods and get better / be competitive, which is a good thing :)

Moving my cab inside for the Winter, yeah lounge room arcade, woohoo!

John73
18th June 2011, 12:46 PM
Not sure if this video is an exact version or not of what we are playing. I was looking for a strategy guide and the info I found said that it wasn't possible to get more than one 9000 fish on level one :confused:

I would think that if this video is 100% legit, then it would be considered point leeching and would be banned in an official tournament.

Either way, I've watched the vid that hollo posted and I've also had a look at an INP file and I still can not play this game :lol I can't see me getting any better than my 32K score. Maybe it's harder to play with a keyboard, but I don't see why it would be.

knight76
18th June 2011, 12:47 PM
I'd say that people who have the big scores on this game are already playing this way - ie rolling fish over and over. I didn't watch the whole vid though just the first 30 seconds or so. It makes the game into a bit of a repetitive point presser, and becomes a bit of a yawn, for me anyways :boring: there is a challenge though to pulling the method off over and over - it's pretty satisfying when you get your first 9k and can start to see how to manipulate the fish. Doing it over and over though escapes me so far, I can only perfect the first level so I am miles off.

Far as posting tips / hints we've discussed it already in this thread. It should be OK to share just not too soon in the start of a game. I think around the halfway point is OK, that gives another week for everyone to use new methods and get better / be competitive, which is a good thing :)

Moving my cab inside for the Winter, yeah lounge room arcade, woohoo!

Speaking for myself there is no way I am utilising that cheat to get my score and I doubts other are. The trick is to maximise your points per level. Theoretically if you could do what is done in the video, you would have no need to move off level 1 ever as you could build up a world record score just sitting on level 1. If you only watched the first 30 you probably missed the real cheating part of that video, where he manipulates a flaw in the game.

The only thing I do is make sure I complete all fish kills before moving on to the next level, and if I can, I try to double kill the 9k fish so I get double 9k.

Jed
18th June 2011, 12:58 PM
Not sure if this video is an exact version or not of what we are playing. I was looking for a strategy guide and the info I found said that it wasn't possible to get more than one 9000 fish on level one :confused:

I would think that if this video is 100% legit, then it would be considered point leeching and would be banned in an official tournament.

Either way, I've watched the vid that hollo posted and I've also had a look at an INP file and I still can not play this game :lol I can't see me getting any better than my 32K score. Maybe it's harder to play with a keyboard, but I don't see why it would be.

It's not illegal in tournaments. Some games point pressing is the only way to big scores, ie in Donkey Kong, the top guys in the world leech points from level 1 on. See what Wiebe does on the top girder in DK for a small example. TG only say 'no excessive leeching' when you submit scores in a game. Point pressing or leeching is pretty much part and parcel of huge scores for many games. Some games though, it's more broken than others..

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

If you only watched the first 30 you probably missed the real cheating part of that video, where he manipulates a flaw in the game.

The only thing I do is make sure I complete all fish kills before moving on to the next level, and if I can, I try to double kill the 9k fish so I get double 9k.

Thanks Knight76 for that. I'll have a look at the whole vid now we may need to make a judgement call if it's really broken.

Geez only the first game of MGL13 and already some controversy :lol

John73
18th June 2011, 12:59 PM
It's not illegal in tournaments. Some games point pressing is the only way to big scores, ie in Donkey Kong, the top guys in the world leech points from level 1 on. See what Wiebe does on the top girder in DK for a small example. TG only say 'no excessive leeching' when you submit scores in a game. Point pressing or leeching is pretty much part and parcel of huge scores for many games. Some games though, it's more broken than others..

I believe TG's official line on it is, if you are not actively trying to complete a level and the level has no time limit (like this game) then it is considering illegal. DK is a different matter, you have a timer counting down - you can't not simply do the barrel jumping and jumping next to DK on the rivot level forever, sooner or later you are forced to finish the level.

Having said that, the TG mame record for crush roller doesn't make any comment about illegal point leeching :confused:

Jed
18th June 2011, 01:02 PM
I believe TG's official line on it is, if you are not actively trying to complete a level and the level has no time limit (like this game) then it is considering illegal.

Good point. I'd forgotten there's no timer in this game - bit of a mistake on the part of the game developers perhaps :rolleyes

Edit: I've watched the whole vid :o- have removed that link, no offence Hollo - but the vid is showing a fairly easy to exploit flaw in the game, something that would ordinarily not be allowed in MGL's.

Now move along, nothing to see here :D

knight76
18th June 2011, 01:10 PM
Removed as the cheat vid is removed now also.

John73
18th June 2011, 01:11 PM
Good point. I'd forgotten there's no timer in this game - bit of a mistake on the part of the game developers perhaps :rolleyes

But then if you look at Time Pilot, both in marathon and tournament settings they allow parachute scabbing/hunting which I don't particularly agree with.

Rat
18th June 2011, 01:13 PM
LOL, just read the thread and went to watch the video and Jamma had removed it one minute before I got to it, it was there, but by the time I read the posts after it and went back it was gone. I assume it showed a real exploit, rather than the going back and forwards till you trick the fish into the position for a kill.

John73
18th June 2011, 01:16 PM
LOL, just read the thread and went to watch the video and Jamma had removed it one minute before I got to it, it was there, but by the time I read the posts after it and went back it was gone. I assume it showed a real exploit, rather than the going back and forwards till you trick the fish into the position for a kill.

From what I understand, yes it was a real exploit.

What you are talking about seems perfectly legal, and won't allow you to get more than one/two? 9k fish on level 1.

knight76
18th June 2011, 01:18 PM

Yep a real exploit allowing you to never leave level 1 and repeatedly kill 9k fish again and again.

Jed
18th June 2011, 01:23 PM

Missed it by.... that much :lol

Rat if you're interested I can PM the link to you. Just don't think it was something to leave hanging in the wind as it shows a easy to exploit flaw. Leads to to my question of earlier - what screens are people on, seems most people aren't using this flaw anyway if they are screen 3/4.

Ah, nothing like a bit of spice in an MGL :D

knight76
18th June 2011, 01:36 PM

Rat if you're interested I can PM the link to you. Just don't think it was something to leave hanging in the wind as it shows a easy to exploit flaw. Leads to to my question of earlier - what screens are people on, seems most people aren't using this flaw anyway if they are screen 3/4.

Gotta love it eh!

Screens would be 3-4 for a 80-110k+ game. You can get 33k on the first level, then a little less each level after. So if you max score levels 1-4 you could get around 130k from those levels. That would be very difficult though as luring the fish gets harder and harder, especially getting two to commit at the same time for the double 9k kills.

The mouse with halo icon gives you an idea of what level screens are taken from, but you only get one of those icons if you catch the critter that appears. The trail colors give you an idea as well.

Rat
18th June 2011, 02:14 PM

Took me 5 seconds to find it, thanks anyway, hmmmmm it really looks like this dude is just using a more effective method of doing what everyone was already doing. So does that mean the rules need to be.......it's OK to kill as many fish as you can per level, unless you get really good at it, then it's not OK anymore and you should play less effectively to be fair on everyone else ;)

So far I am playing within the spirit of the MGL and remaining fairly crap at this game, but it's difficult to continue practicing ineffectively.

LOL, for the new players, it's not always like this, most MGL games are played without controversy :)

Perhaps we could make it highest round obtained wins, and if a multiple tie points are shared?

knight76
18th June 2011, 02:24 PM
Took me 5 seconds to find it, thanks anyway, hmmmmm it really looks like this dude is just using a more effective method of doing what everyone was already doing. So does that mean the rules need to be.......it's OK to kill as many fish as you can per level, unless you get really good at it, then it's not OK anymore and you should play less effectively to be fair on everyone else ;)

So far I am playing within the spirit of the MGL and remaining fairly crap at this game, but it's difficult to continue practicing ineffectively.

LOL, for the new players, it's not always like this, most MGL games are played without controversy :)

Perhaps we could make it highest round obtained wins, and if a multiple tie points are shared?

I think the game should be played as is really. The video shows an exploit in the code where if you move to a certain point you can repeatedly kill 9k fish, endlessly on level 1. This isn't in the spirit of the MGL (or any competition for that matter IMHO). Attaining points by maximising your fish kills per level without utilising a coding flaw is totally within the spirit of any competition I think. On one hand you have the game being played totally against the designers intentions, and on the other it is being played as it was supposed to be, with timing and skill etc.

Also there is no way to accurately show what round you are on in the screenshot.

John73
18th June 2011, 02:55 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but even grouping the fish near the bottom roller and getting up to 9000 is incredibly difficult to do.

Even having seen this exploit, I doubt I'll be able to do it if I practice from now until the next Sunday night when this game ends :laugh:

Pelly
18th June 2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah agree. Getting the timing right for that exploit would be extremely difficult anyway. Good luck to anyone who can pull it off consistently.. :huh:

Jed
18th June 2011, 04:23 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but even grouping the fish near the bottom roller and getting up to 9000 is incredibly difficult to do.

Even having seen this exploit, I doubt I'll be able to do it if I practice from now until the next Sunday night when this game ends :laugh:

I've found for best results, grouping the fish is not done initially near the bottom roller, so maybe try another approach ;)

So does that mean the rules need to be.......it's OK to kill as many fish as you can per level, unless you get really good at it, then it's not OK anymore and you should play less effectively to be fair on everyone else ;)

The video in question isn't in english, it's title is indeciperhable (to most) so it wouldn't be one that would be easily found when searching for crush roller stuff - makes me think are you're looking at the right video if you think the above is true :unsure

Anyway it would be good to just get on with playing the game on it's merit as we all are doing anyway. Any more endless debate about this, and DJ wingtipvortex will strap you to a chair and force you to listen to Steve Wiebe's album 'The King of Song' (buy it now at stevewiebe.com, only $12.95) the focus is playing the game, let's play :)

Hollo
18th June 2011, 04:57 PM
Edit: I've watched the whole vid :o- have removed that link, no offence Hollo - but the vid is showing a fairly easy to exploit flaw in the game, something that would ordinarily not be allowed in MGL's.

No offence taken, and didn't mean to offend by putting it up. I will not be using it, but there is definitely a fine line between cheating and point pressing in this game......

At least if there were any players using it, they might think twice about it now. :cool:

Jed
18th June 2011, 07:01 PM

Speaking of playing, just realised I hadn't even posted a score yet :redface here's my first feeble effort.

Rat
18th June 2011, 07:01 PM
The video in question isn't in english, it's title is indeciperhable (to most) so it wouldn't be one that would be easily found when searching for crush roller stuff - makes me think are you're looking at the right video if you think the above is true :unsure [/B]:)

That is actually what made it easy to find, it was the first non-English result.

@lien_Zed
19th June 2011, 09:38 AM
so am i still winning with the highest score yet or what?:lol

dezbaz
19th June 2011, 11:03 AM

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Hey John, Empty your PM's mate
or email me at dezbaz AT hotmail DOT com
Sorry to do this on MGL Guys, no choice :D

Hollo
19th June 2011, 03:34 PM
Managed to hit 16,330, almost making it to level 3 (won't worry about a pic until I at least hit 20k). Now that I know that exploit though, I am just rushing to finish the levels rather than roll over those little bastards.... :(

John73
19th June 2011, 04:15 PM
Managed to hit 16,330, almost making it to level 3 (won't worry about a pic until I at least hit 20k). Now that I know that exploit though, I am just rushing to finish the levels rather than roll over those little bastards.... :(

Can you actually do what that guy was doing in the video? I tried (just for the hell of it) and can't get close to getting it right. Still need to have the timing to do it, which is why I can't seem to get much more than a 3200 pt fish :redface

Waiting for 7pm when game 2 kicks off. Crush Roller has done my head in, can't see me getting better than the 30K odd score I've posted, still don't know how I managed to get that high :D

azathoth
19th June 2011, 04:38 PM

This took a while but getting the hang of it. You push the roller and you cant stop till it stops. You just miss the fish and they double back and get you. It's inevitable.

knight76
19th June 2011, 04:41 PM
Can you actually do what that guy was doing in the video? I tried (just for the hell of it) and can't get close to getting it right. Still need to have the timing to do it, which is why I can't seem to get much more than a 3200 pt fish :redface

Waiting for 7pm when game 2 kicks off. Crush Roller has done my head in, can't see me getting better than the 30K odd score I've posted, still don't know how I managed to get that high :D

I'm also looking forward to the next MGL game to play. Crush roller is a good game, but there is only so many rollers I can ride before something changes inside like a silent snap!

I also tried to do what the guy was doing in the video for fun, but damn is it hard to maintain it. I did manage to get repeat 9k kills 2-3 times, but lost it after that. You can get back in to the rhythm of the killing after you lose a man but it is damn hard.

Edit> See I can't help myself. Must stop playing.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crus0013-2.png

Pelly
19th June 2011, 06:07 PM
66,030 - Tempted to pack it in now... frustratingly addictive but can't see myself cracking 100k any time soon :-/

Jed
19th June 2011, 06:45 PM
Hehe yes 2 weeks of crush roller, the nature of this game doesn't really lend itself to playing for 2 weeks that well... rolling/killing is king if you want points, as we all do in MGL, and screen progression takes a back seat.

New game posted in about 20 mins, and I think it will suit people after a bit more action :068:

andykmv
19th June 2011, 06:49 PM
4300 high score - whoo hoo! :lol

wingtipvortex
19th June 2011, 06:53 PM
Some great scores rolling in boys n girls:) Just a reminder, when posting a score, remember to put the score in the title of your post. Example above.

andykmv
19th June 2011, 06:57 PM
Some great scores rolling in boys n girls:) Just a reminder, when posting a score, remember to put the score in the title of your post. Example above.

oops! fixed! mind u its a really embarassing score...maybe i just didnt want to advertise it:lol

wingtipvortex
19th June 2011, 07:06 PM
oops! fixed! mind u its a really embarassing score...maybe i just didnt want to advertise it:lol
:lol Wasn't aimed at you Andy, there are a few that i noticed is all. Just makes it a tad easier for the mods to see and amend in the leader board:D Keep going with your score mate, you will get there!

Spartan
19th June 2011, 07:26 PM
2nd place and new high score for me -110,180

Notice my score posted about 2 days ago hasn't been included in the last update. Jusat a friendly reminder for the next update.

wingtipvortex
19th June 2011, 07:32 PM
Notice my score posted about 2 days ago hasn't been included in the last update. Jusat a friendly reminder for the next update.
Being done now mate:)

Jed
19th June 2011, 08:18 PM
Ok now I am getting somewhere, finally...

wingtipvortex
19th June 2011, 08:24 PM
Leaderboard updated........after some doing:lol

John73
19th June 2011, 08:54 PM
Ok now I am getting somewhere, finally...

:o nice score. You are obviously learning the tricks that I just can not master :rolleyes

Jed
19th June 2011, 10:33 PM
:o nice score. You are obviously learning the tricks that I just can not master :rolleyes

The penny dropped for me on a game today.. to do with handling the roller. Should be able to do a lot better than this score by next Sunday... famous last words.

Brad
20th June 2011, 12:43 PM
Damn hard game this but I have slightly improved my score

wingtipvortex
20th June 2011, 11:43 PM
Leaderboard updated......
http://i53.tinypic.com/6ynrt1.jpg

Johns-Arcade is still in the lead with an impressive score of 110,990:o Can he be beaten? Or are we all rolled out?
Still time to "crush" his score lads and ladies, GET TO IT:cool:

Retroz0r
21st June 2011, 12:43 AM
22,710. Pathetic, but we'll get there!

Hollo
21st June 2011, 12:45 PM
I will be leaving my score of 16k-ish, and I will get a photo (as per MGL rules when I get home). I just can't stomach that tune anymore!

Brad
21st June 2011, 12:55 PM
Turn the volume down ;) I love this game but the frustation in trying to get a better score has me beaten. I'll come back to it....maybe ;)

Brad

Foot
21st June 2011, 05:20 PM
I've racked up more crush roller games now than I think I've ever had. But now I can only have 1 game then walk away for a while otherwise the slow speed on the first couple of patterns kills me.

I actually suck the most on the early stages of the first pink pattern.

And I still think 110k ain't going to win.....

knight76
22nd June 2011, 01:39 AM
I think everyone is playing Terra Cresta now lol.

I am still putting time in to both at the moment. Will see how I go over the next few days. 110k is tough to beat though!

Jed
22nd June 2011, 10:16 AM
I think everyone is playing Terra Cresta now lol.

I am still putting time in to both at the moment. Will see how I go over the next few days. 110k is tough to beat though!

Yes I think you are right, anything is a welcome escape from the rolling, the rolling, the endless rolling :D

I still enjoy the game though, it has it's good points. Need to get back into it as I had just got on a roll when Terra Cresta started up.

kane
22nd June 2011, 06:07 PM
Finally made it to the 100k club, have been hovering in the 90s for a few days but managed to squeeze in an extra 9k to make it over the line :cool:

kane
22nd June 2011, 06:38 PM
Wow, two good games in a row, now the score to beat!

Jed
22nd June 2011, 07:25 PM
:cool: Nice one Kane!

I'm going to line up some brews and get back into this tonight.

John73
22nd June 2011, 07:31 PM
Wow, two good games in a row, now the score to beat!

Geez you left me for dead. You were only 6K ahead of me in the last leaderboard update :o

I may have another game or two of this before Sunday night, but I'd can't honestly seeing myself getting over 20K let alone beating my 33K score (still no idea how I managed to get that many) :lol

SectionZ
22nd June 2011, 07:43 PM
Would of been higher if that mouse hadn't made such a mess.

Spartan
22nd June 2011, 07:47 PM
New High Score - 125, 370

shabu
22nd June 2011, 08:29 PM
Had a mash at the old crush roller last night. beer didn't help... woke up this morning with the machine being on overnight - no burn-in thank the gods.

will post a score ( and pic ) once I achieve something greater than 37.

my nom for MGL XIV is : http://vimeo.com/24987120

Just getting in early.

Blurb for above nom is :
Joshua Noble, Martin Fuchs, and Philip Whitfield built “ReceiptRacer”, a game that can be played on a receipt printer. It’s like a classic arcade racing game in which the player must drive down a twisty path without hitting obstacles. A light moves over the continuously printing surface, representing the player. Sensors detect if the player has collided with any obstacles and end the game.

Jed
22nd June 2011, 11:19 PM

Just getting in early.

Somehow, I don't think Mame can emulate that, therefore it's ineligible :lol but it did look pretty cool.

What about 'tennis for two' in terms of strange/old platforms, Oscilloscope display and I mean - just look at those controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2E9iSQfGdg

gameroom
22nd June 2011, 11:37 PM

Finally cracked the 13K mark!

Jed
23rd June 2011, 12:14 AM
Ok scorekeep, carve this one in stone, cause I've hit my limit on this game - I've run out of stamina and motivation, plus my dog is getting too freaked out the too-frequent roars in frustration :realmad:

I like this two game format, cause now instead of having the shits at being beaten by a game and sulking until Sunday, I've got a new game to help me forget my woes. Or should that be add more woes to my pile. Some big big scores coming out this MGL so far and a fair bit of new talent - which is great to see :)

John73
23rd June 2011, 06:49 AM

Just getting in early.

I think the Greens may have something to say about this game, it's not exactly environmentally friendly :lol

Very clever, but some people clearly have too much time on their hands :lol

Pelly
23rd June 2011, 03:51 PM
My mate and I have been having our own Crush Roller battle on the work cabinet. We are pretty evenly matched now... :P Unfortunately he just beat my by 320 points. I should get him on AA :P

Anyway, with that I clocked my record with my latest score :D Still need to beat him though...

Jed
23rd June 2011, 04:14 PM
Leaderboard updated

Longtime leader Johns-Arcade has now plummeted to fourth, with Spartan taking over the top spot, leading by a whisker from Pelly, with Kane in third. Good scoring you guys:cool:

ED_209
24th June 2011, 12:45 PM
Pelly suggested I should get in on this competition. I've been playing Crush Roller over the past week and have a score to post later once I've checked the exact figure. Looking forward to some good retro competition.

Jed
24th June 2011, 02:21 PM
Pelly suggested I should get in on this competition. I've been playing Crush Roller over the past week and have a score to post later once I've checked the exact figure. Looking forward to some good retro competition.

Good to see more players joining the comp. This MGL is shaping up to be the biggest and baddest yet :cool:

Any questions just ask away, or checkout the FAQ in the main MGL forum.

Foot
24th June 2011, 04:20 PM
Here's one for you to ponder :)

138320 and so so close to getting some easy rolling on the next screen

Brad
24th June 2011, 04:36 PM
This game makes my head hurt. I managed to get over the 60,000 mark today but I'm not sure I can face another game and even 60000 is well out of the points bracker LOL!

Brad

SectionZ
24th June 2011, 06:30 PM
Here's one for you to ponder :)

Top stuff foot, so close to that next screen.

Jed
24th June 2011, 07:17 PM
48 hours to go for Crush roller.. ends this sunday 7pm

DKong
24th June 2011, 07:26 PM
48 hours to go for Crush roller.. ends this sunday 7pm

Roll on Sunday, two week of crush roller is two weeks too much:lol

knight76
24th June 2011, 07:44 PM

Don't you hate it when you get that last piece only to find the game still going because you have missed some tiny bit of white somewhere in the maze?

Annoying.

Fire_Power
25th June 2011, 11:06 AM
38,390, no threat to anybody, but I reckon I've peaked and am now free falling on crush roller. Didn't bother with patterns or techniques and have only once jagged a 9k fish.

Anybody going to describe the technique for megga high scores after the comp closes?

knight76
25th June 2011, 11:14 AM
Sure, I will describe them now if you like.

Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, ROLL, ROLL, ROLL, ROLL, WAIT, ROLL, CRUSH......

Repeat.

andykmv
25th June 2011, 11:18 AM
how about giving us crappola players a chance and give back the link to the "cheat" that the early thread posters had access to ? i reckon i might get over 20k if i can at least see what you guys have been talking about! :lol

knight76
25th June 2011, 11:22 AM
how about giving us crappola players a chance and give back the link to the "cheat" that the early thread posters had access to ? i reckon i might get over 20k if i can at least see what you guys have been talking about! :lol

It won't do you any good mate. None of us are using that exploit to get our scores. And if you saw the exploit you would not want to use it either if you are playing fairly and in the spirit of the MGL.

That exploit was basically once you roll over the fish and get a 9k kill, you could move to a certain point on the map. Wait for a fish to arrive at another certain point, then move to another point which caused the fish to move the same each time leading them to a roller for repeated 9k kills.

Jed
25th June 2011, 11:59 AM
Sure, I will describe them now if you like.

Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, ROLL, ROLL, ROLL, ROLL, WAIT, ROLL, CRUSH......

Repeat.

hehe, that sounds about spot on :D

Leaderboard updated

A new leader, Foot takes the top position but there's still plenty of time as the top 5 are all pretty close. This one is definitely going down to the wire :cool:

andykmv
25th June 2011, 02:28 PM
It won't do you any good mate. None of us are using that exploit to get our scores. And if you saw the exploit you would not want to use it either if you are playing fairly and in the spirit of the MGL.

That exploit was basically once you roll over the fish and get a 9k kill, you could move to a certain point on the map. Wait for a fish to arrive at another certain point, then move to another point which caused the fish to move the same each time leading them to a roller for repeated 9k kills.

aha! you're right. it wouldn't help me. i havent even gotten to a 9k kill yet:cry. i give up. :lolone day when my Make Trax cab is up and running i will be able to practice up enough to claim a 100k score!

Brad
25th June 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm SO over Crush Roller!

John73
25th June 2011, 06:32 PM
Yep, I'm done with this game too. Decided to try it on my cab this arvo and it aint any easier :cry I'll take whatever points I can for this game, those ahead of me - don't worry cause I'm not going to beat you at the last minute :lol

kane
25th June 2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much done too, the 4th level is just too fast for me to get the big point rolls, I keep getting the same score over and over again.

I must admit that this game grew on me over the 2 weeks, first off I hated it, but once I got the hang of the fish avoidance I got into it more.

Damn Twin Galaxies site is down again, what's up with them these days?

azathoth
26th June 2011, 11:53 AM
As good as it's gonna get.!

ED_209
26th June 2011, 02:56 PM

I managed to get to 148700 but after returning to this thread after a couple of days I've noticed evberybody's a bit upset about the exploit i used to get this score. I did it all on the first level and repeatedly killed fish for 9000 points so I'll understand if people don't want to accepot the score. Still wasn't easy though. It's pretty hard to get the timing right and I've been practising a fair bit.

knight76
26th June 2011, 04:09 PM

I managed to get to 148700 but after returning to this thread after a couple of days I've noticed evberybody's a bit upset about the exploit i used to get this score. I did it all on the first level and repeatedly killed fish for 9000 points so I'll understand if people don't want to accepot the score. Still wasn't easy though. It's pretty hard to get the timing right and I've been practising a fair bit.

Sorry mate that exploit was ruled a cheat and the video removed.

That is a hell of a lot of fish killing though.

I have been playing Crush Roller all day and here is my best.

Level 6 I think this was.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/crus0018.png

gameroom
26th June 2011, 04:26 PM
Not going to get anymore time with this one so here is the best I have:-

Jed
26th June 2011, 05:34 PM

Sorry mate :( I can't accept that score, it's an exploit within the game and is excessive score 'leeching'. Good on you for stating how you got it though.

I hope you stick around and play more games, you're clearly a good gamer, and it would be good to have you on board for the MGL.

Leaderboard updated

New leader again! Knight76 has taken to top spot. Just over an hour to go for Crush Roller.

dezbaz
26th June 2011, 05:41 PM
Finally got some 6400's after switching to the 48 in 1 cockpit

ED_209
26th June 2011, 06:10 PM
Sorry mate :( I can't accept that score, it's an exploit within the game and is excessive score 'leeching'. Good on you for stating how you got it though.

I hope you stick around and play more games, you're clearly a good gamer, and it would be good to have you on board for the MGL.

Leaderboard updated

New leader again! Knight76 has taken to top spot. Just over an hour to go for Crush Roller.

That's cool. Had fun killing the fish anyway. Don't reckon I'll come close to that score playing it legitimately. Might be time to start on the next game. :)

shabu
26th June 2011, 06:51 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ev85jm.jpg

infuriating little game. not sure how you guys managed the high scores but I'll read back through this thread for tips/traps shortly ( didn't want to do that before playing myself and look where it got me. <_< ). nasty ai in this game... and it plays 'hard to like'.

John73
26th June 2011, 06:56 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ev85jm.jpg

infuriating little game. not sure how you guys managed the high scores but I'll read back through this thread for tips/traps shortly ( didn't want to do that before playing myself and look where it got me. <_< ). nasty ai in this game... and it plays 'hard to like'.

Better be quick... this game ends in 5 mins if I'm not mistaken :D

Looking forward to see what game 3 is shortly :D

Jed
26th June 2011, 07:05 PM
Time's UP!

Congratulations to Knight76 for taking out what was a very well contested game. Thanks to all who participated and submitted scores.

Final results are:

Knight76: 148,640 - 25 points
Foot: 138,320- 20 points
Spartan: 125,370 - 16 points
Pelly: 123,100 - 13 points
Kane: 111,220 - 11 points
Johns-Arcade: 110,990 - 10 points
Jammasized: 80,400 - 9 points
azathoth: 67,550 - 8 points
Brad: 60,620 - 7 points
SectionZ: 58,910 - 6 points
Rat: 40,740 - 5 points
Firepower: 38,390 - 4 points
John73: 32,260 - 3 points
Gameroom: 28,490 - 2 points
DKong: 24,130 - 1 point
Dezbaz: 23,350
RetrozOr: 22,710
Hollo: 16,330
wingtipvortex: 13,650
Shabu: 10,470
@lien_Zed: 7,020

New game will be posted shortly.

John73
26th June 2011, 07:14 PM
3 Points :D :026:

21 players, that's a pretty good sized field

Well done Knight :sm1:

knight76
26th June 2011, 07:31 PM
Fantastic, :D

Some great competition in this MGL round, how many lead changes were there?

I had never played this game before and started out really not liking it, getting frustrated with it. Then I learned how to deal with the fish better and get to the 9k kills and even double 9k kills. From that point the game became more fun and I ended up really liking the game.

Over the two weeks I played 183 games of crush roller. I'll be happy to not play it for a fair while I think :lol

Well played everyone, and I think there were 7 people who bested the previous AA Crush Roller record!

Jed
26th June 2011, 07:32 PM
21 players, that's a pretty good sized field

Most ever for an MGL game, if I'm not mistaken :)

DKong
26th June 2011, 07:35 PM
Most ever for an MGL game, if I'm not mistaken :)

I would say so, awesome effort.

Well done knight76 and anyone else who managed around 100,000 good scores.

Foot
26th June 2011, 09:21 PM
Well done, that'll teach me to clone the hard drive when I should have been submitting a score :redface

Onward to Jungle King!

knight76
26th June 2011, 09:26 PM
Well done, that'll teach me to clone the hard drive when I should have been submitting a score :redface

Onward to Jungle King!

Mate i was having real trouble getting even past the 100k mark. Then i had this one great game, I finished the last two levels with no men left.

It is a frustrating game.