PDA

View Full Version : Arcade prices in free fall?

Womble
4th May 2011, 11:10 AM
I have only been into Arcade stuff for 3 years but over that time the prices seem to have taken a major dive.

Boards that used to fetch well over $200 are really starting to struggle (not my boards btw, just been cruising ebay)

Capcom Ghosts and Goblins - used to be an easy $250, now even at $120 there are no bids.
Wonderboy - Used to be an easy $200, now even at $140 there are no bids, seen them go for under $80 nowadays.
Raiden variants always got a lot of interest, but recently have seen them sell as low as $50.

Is this purely the high dollar making shipping from the US more viable, or is it more that everyone who wanted these boards and was prepared to pay now has one. Gradually the interest in arcades will fade as the older guys get out of the hobby and the young'uns are too young to remember the 80s games but the price collapse seems to be fairly stark, it cant be MAME either as that is not exactly new.

Homepin
4th May 2011, 11:12 AM
MAME isn't new BUT it has become more widely known since the advent of fleabay sellers flogging XXXin1 tables IMO

Viper
4th May 2011, 11:21 AM
MAME isn't new BUT it has become more widely known since the advent of fleabay sellers flogging XXXin1 tables IMO

Agreed. Whilst the arcade purist still exists even many of them, although hanging onto their old boards still, are putting xin1 board in because it's just easier.

GIBO
4th May 2011, 11:26 AM
Yep like Mike posted ,multi game boards have killed the market for the old PCB's but in some ways this is a good thing as more people are getting into the hobby by buying cocktails/cabs with multiple games already installed,the amount of container loads of cocktails coming into the country far outways pinball container loads

radirgyman
4th May 2011, 11:33 AM
Looking forward to a similar effect with pinballs! Bring it on!

Frank_fjs
4th May 2011, 01:08 PM
I was all set to start collecting arcade PCB's, but in the end it just isn't worth it unless you know how to repair them. That's what stopped me anyhow.

Fish Tales
4th May 2011, 01:16 PM
generic cabs are so plentiful, and cheap as well

Jesder
4th May 2011, 01:37 PM
Might have to make a bid on that Wonderboy board :D

sleazius
4th May 2011, 02:31 PM
Looking forward to a similar effect with pinballs! Bring it on!

Little difficult to whip up a pin on the weekend, or put multiple pins into one cab, which are the main reasons the values hold up. That said things are down currently, and hopefully they stay that way.

Crafty
4th May 2011, 02:53 PM
+1 On this.

Genuine boards are old and in most cases not well looked after. Therefore prone to breakdown and when this happens I for one cannot fix them. My soldering skills are non-existant and I have no time to develop some.

Womble
4th May 2011, 02:59 PM
Yeh you might have a point, a family friend collects vintage cars, 1910 era mostly, gorgeous vehicles but they are actually not worth much, $30K tops, amazing considering a few are 1 in 5 known globally. The answer is there are so few people with the room and skills, or room and money to keep them running. With a small market comes a lack of competition which produces low prices.

I imagine quite a few keen PCB collectors have had the horror of finding their $250 cherished PCB presenting them with a screen full of rubbish. That would dent their ardour to buy more I suppose.

Am lucky I guess, have had a few of mine fail, but they were quickly re-fixed.

Gemini2544
4th May 2011, 03:11 PM
Hey Womble, I have Wonder-boy & Ghosts & goblins in the game list for blue elf 2 & I think you'll find the interest in multigame PCB is the real reason sales have dipped on originals. Not everyone is a PCB collector most just want to play the game. Why pay $250 for one PCB when you can get 300 plus games for $120. IMO :)

Womble
4th May 2011, 03:14 PM
Am not criticising it, its a bonus for real PCB collectors anyway, just amazed it happened so fast, its not as if the multigame boards were not around 3 years ago either.

MangledLeg
4th May 2011, 03:21 PM
I've noticed it as well - even cab prices have fallen.

Makes it easier to get into the hobby though :)

nzmendo
4th May 2011, 03:28 PM
personally after playing the xxx in 1 boards they just motivated me to buy the originals. maybe in a couple years some of the guys who bought all the 60s, 300s, 2000 in 1s will get a bit deeper into the hobby and start buying real boards again.

sorta on the fence about this tbh

Gemini2544
4th May 2011, 03:45 PM
personally after playing the xxx in 1 boards they just motivated me to buy the originals. maybe in a couple years some of the guys who bought all the 60s, 300s, 2000 in 1s will get a bit deeper into the hobby and start buying real boards again.

sorta on the fence about this tbh

I personally flogged off all my originals Galaga (fast shoot), Xerion, Frogger, Secret commander, Time pilot, Double Dragon & some others long forgotten. I still have them all in xxx in 1 so to speak. It so much easier this way, I got so feed up swapping PCB over.

nzmendo
4th May 2011, 03:50 PM
yeh, that might be more of a street fighter thing, something about emulation just doesn't feel right.. well at least for me

makaw
4th May 2011, 04:10 PM
XXX boards are cheap as chps, and great for generic cabs. You dont want a $400 dollar board in a 100 buck cab. ( wonderboy / ebay USA is at $400 start price. so i dont think its the Aussie dollar killing off the market.)
The dedicated cabs i am getting will have????? of dollars spent on the 2 spacies pcb's that need work. I dont know how much that will cost, but well worth it in an original cab.
I cant justify spending X amount on pcb's to get them fixed. i just sold 4 on ebay for about 50 bucks as no one wants them.
I still have one or 2 that need repairing, but to justify spending a few hundred on a sega rally board( i have a broken one), but just bought a working one for $70 delivered.
Also have a silkworm board, i want to try to fix myself, simply because no one really wants to give an upfront cost to fix it.
Rare games and definately worth keeping just for the historical value.
I can get a 60 in 1, for my spacies cab, turn off all the games and leave just spacies running, but to me thats just stupidity, i would rather restore it to as close to original as possible no matter the cost.
The scary part is i have been quoted $500 start price to swap my spacies pcb for a working one. WTF????? no wonder people do it the cheap way.
Also check USA pcb's ebay. its a joke, no one want to test the boards, and if they do and they are dead they just pull the old bullshit line ( cant test) wtf they have arcade shops and cant test a jamma board? Then you check their other listing and they have got tested guaranteed boards.
I wont buy a non tested board, i have bought close to ten lately, and not one worked. paid between 50 to 100 each and sold as non working for 6 for 50 bucks...
Thats my 3 cents worth.

Gemini2544
4th May 2011, 07:29 PM
Same thing happened to me & that's why I took the easy way out with 48 in 1 & 302 in 1 Jamma PCB's, plus my Cab & Hankin table are not dedicated units.

stu
4th May 2011, 07:35 PM
Yeh you might have a point, a family friend collects vintage cars, 1910 era mostly, gorgeous vehicles but they are actually not worth much, $30K tops, amazing considering a few are 1 in 5 known globally. The answer is there are so few people with the room and skills, or room and money to keep them running. With a small market comes a lack of competition which produces low prices.

I imagine quite a few keen PCB collectors have had the horror of finding their $250 cherished PCB presenting them with a screen full of rubbish. That would dent their ardour to buy more I suppose.

Am lucky I guess, have had a few of mine fail, but they were quickly re-fixed.

This is it for me....I have 2 original bubble bobble boards that I recently found this way and it's not the first time it has happened....really kills it.

I think the multiboard has made the price drop though...most people dont care for the original hardware, so long as they can play it on their cab.

knight76
4th May 2011, 07:38 PM
XXX boards are cheap as chps, and great for generic cabs. You dont want a $400 dollar board in a 100 buck cab. ( wonderboy / ebay USA is at $400 start price. so i dont think its the Aussie dollar killing off the market.)
The dedicated cabs i am getting will have????? of dollars spent on the 2 spacies pcb's that need work. I dont know how much that will cost, but well worth it in an original cab.
I cant justify spending X amount on pcb's to get them fixed. i just sold 4 on ebay for about 50 bucks as no one wants them.
I still have one or 2 that need repairing, but to justify spending a few hundred on a sega rally board( i have a broken one), but just bought a working one for $70 delivered.
Also have a silkworm board, i want to try to fix myself, simply because no one really wants to give an upfront cost to fix it.
Rare games and definately worth keeping just for the historical value.
I can get a 60 in 1, for my spacies cab, turn off all the games and leave just spacies running, but to me thats just stupidity, i would rather restore it to as close to original as possible no matter the cost.
The scary part is i have been quoted $500 start price to swap my spacies pcb for a working one. WTF????? no wonder people do it the cheap way.
Also check USA pcb's ebay. its a joke, no one want to test the boards, and if they do and they are dead they just pull the old bullshit line ( cant test) wtf they have arcade shops and cant test a jamma board? Then you check their other listing and they have got tested guaranteed boards.
I wont buy a non tested board, i have bought close to ten lately, and not one worked. paid between 50 to 100 each and sold as non working for 6 for 50 bucks...
Thats my 3 cents worth.

One of the issues is the dedicated cabs are so damn expensive here. This country was flooded with generic cabs with various game boards put in to them, but relatively few dedicated cabs, or that is how it looks.

To sink so much coin in to a dedicated cab only to have the board fail is a worry and something I do think about with the Daytona twin and have already sort of experienced with the Ivan stewarts. The XXX in 1's would just make things easier for people to get in to it.

I have often thought about getting in to original game boards, but really, I can not repair them and would worry that when I change games is it going to boot up or not!

baz
4th May 2011, 10:16 PM
i generally believe original boards will go back up in the future if the market for these multi boards ever slows down or stops.

original boards will always outlive these mutli boards imo

firstly there repairable , well being in reasonable condition that is.
multi boards are not always repairable.

you actually have way more of a chance repairing a original then a multiboard.

also what about the games you cant mimic on a multi board ? like vector games.

i think the whole multi xxx will eventually die out as collectors want originals.

cant dispute mame is here to stay thou.
mame will always be here to preserve the roms no matter what and we will always have mame built cabs.

Left jump left 1P
4th May 2011, 10:53 PM
I think you said it nicely in the first post Womble. I can't see prices going up long term. There may be ups and downs but as time goes on so does the demand as there will be less and less new people getting into this hobby.

It wasn't that long ago $50 was a cheap price for any working PCB, no matter how bad the title. Now I would consider $50 to be a fair amount for a PCB on ebay.

I do see Pinballs holding their value better and longer. But arcade stuff will drop as it has to compete with 'x in 1's', MAME and the current consoles. Pinball has no real competition.

P.S. - How did you get so good at fixing PCBs if you've only been in the hobby 3 years Womble?? :confused:

gameroom
4th May 2011, 10:53 PM
But then again, Mame has given life to original PCBs too when roms need to be replaced.

dezbaz
5th May 2011, 01:03 AM
They are going down to stay I think.

My brother sold a galaga pcb with an adapter soldered to the edge connector (Universal pinout??) back in mid 90's

He got $1000 for the PCB

Now galaga is worth what ? $80.00 - $150.00 if that

Prices are decreasing as less people want them. The "less" people are the multiboard people

I love the originals, but I too are downsizing my collection soon, and keeping only the classics

henrybulldog
5th May 2011, 01:14 AM
is the game play any different compared to a multi board??

dezbaz
5th May 2011, 01:18 AM
is the game play any different compared to a multi board??

Some are, some sounds are quite different

Close enough to the untrained

makaw
5th May 2011, 04:50 PM
Probably why i am selling off 6 or 7 generics to buy 3 dedicated spacies. I hope i can keep or store them long term and get my money back or even more, But who knows.
I just grew up in that era and love the art work on the cabs..

Will the next generation be collecting psp's and xboxes and DS's.? I think they will in 30 years. Collect a few hundred of these instead.

Womble
5th May 2011, 04:59 PM
Most people only collect the stuff they have childhood memories of, so yes in 20 years time people will be collecting quaint old devices like the PS3 and X360. The majority will have no interest in the stuff that went before. As for whether Space Invaders cabs will be a good investment? Probably not, or at least nowhere near as good as taking the money and investing it directly. What you gain in raw dollars over the decades will in all likelyhood get eaten up by inflation.

nzmendo
5th May 2011, 05:01 PM
i think its also relative to whether the pcb is a game which is still a money maker in arcades, albeit there are far few of those now.

makaw
5th May 2011, 05:39 PM
Typical example. Not being rude or nasty but this morning i bought this. I put a bid on it and went to sleep. I got a txt at work saying i had won it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230614726493&si=ou4PoqD7BINO5h%252F8bth46nbQiPs%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

So it owes me $170 Aussie dollars. I did the right thing and tracked one down here this week in Australia, same non working condition. Quoted price was $1500 and was quoted 1800 about 6 weeks ago from a private collection from a different person. I would have been happy to spend a grand in OZ but not 1500 or 1800 considering this landed will owe me about $800 ish.
here lies the whole problem, Do i still buy Aussie ? Or go overseas and save $700 which is neally equal to buying another cab imported, so i get 2 for the price of one....
Not taking into consideration taxes import duties, custom brokers, flood taxes, cyclone taxes, fart taxes etc and whatever else the Aussie GOV stings me.
At the end of the day its a personal choice for me, spacies being what started the industry still deserves respect and should in my eyes always be a collectible. Maybe not to all, but to me it is.....

dezbaz
5th May 2011, 08:15 PM
Does the guy know the high bidder lives in Brisbane?

I hope he's a great bloke and it get's to you.

I can just see all the excuses under the sun etc. If it sold for 1K no probs, but for a super low price, it's hard to find a "top bloke" willing to pallet, wrap, drop to a depot etc :)

Hope you get it, and awesome score

Arcade King
5th May 2011, 09:00 PM
I don't think we're seeing anything new here This has been discussed before and its clear that multigame boards have had a great impact on the value of PCB's which is why I won't sell mine.
As already said most gameboards are 20+ years old now and its incredible they have lasted this long and unless you're willing to repair them yourself they really aren't worth the trouble sad as it sounds.
Prefer the dedicated myself and the challenge of keeping them going.
Only own 1 multiboard and its one of the Paradise Arcade/ Arcade Shop programmable ones. Rather pay the extra $$$ for something with accurate emulation over those 48/60 in ones.
Dusted off the old test rig yesterday so a small spark has reignited. ;)

makaw
6th May 2011, 04:48 PM
Does the guy know the high bidder lives in Brisbane?

I hope he's a great bloke and it get's to you.

I can just see all the excuses under the sun etc. If it sold for 1K no probs, but for a super low price, it's hard to find a "top bloke" willing to pallet, wrap, drop to a depot etc :)

Hope you get it, and awesome score

He has wrapped it and palletized it, its due for pick up this week, $670 shipping door to door. customs etc included in this one... Now for the ten week wait...

Woody
6th May 2011, 05:10 PM
He has wrapped it and palletized it, its due for pick up this week, $670 shipping door to door. customs etc included in this one... Now for the ten week wait...

Wow! you are on a space invaders buying frenzy!! $670 seem too cheap. Awesome if that comes through for you.

makaw
6th May 2011, 05:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150601481210&si=ou4PoqD7BINO5h%252F8bth46nbQiPs%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

just bought these aswell talking about pcb prices... they should come in handy , and free postage , woohooo

rod71
6th May 2011, 05:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150601481210&si=ou4PoqD7BINO5h%252F8bth46nbQiPs%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

just bought these aswell talking about pcb prices... they should come in handy , and free postage , woohooo

Free shipping "within the USA"

Bend over boyo <_<

Foot
6th May 2011, 05:21 PM
...Dusted off the old test rig yesterday so a small spark has reignited. ;)

Yeh, small sparks is usually what I get when I bring out the old test rig, then nothing works...:b

makaw
6th May 2011, 05:22 PM
See how we go with that, lol... already paid via paypal... happy to pay postage though, I need the boards for parts etc.
If he doesnt send them free i will tell him a boxing kangaroo will be shipped to his house. dundee style...
I have found Yanks to be pretty good with postage, so far they dont overcharge, and you can even haggle with them in most cases, which is sorta cool,

Arcade King
6th May 2011, 05:33 PM
Yeh, small sparks is usually what I get when I bring out the old test rig, then nothing works...:b

Small preview ;)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/uploads/AK/afterburner/IMAG0032.jpg

makaw
6th May 2011, 05:36 PM
Thats a sweet looking machine..

Foot
6th May 2011, 05:40 PM
Holy crap!

WOKA
6th May 2011, 07:31 PM
'tis sweet indeed..

dezbaz
6th May 2011, 07:41 PM

That is fantastic, there are a few out there willing to help out (Literally)

Can't wait to see the pics once it gets here

WOKA
6th May 2011, 08:29 PM
best bit is that Makaw lives in Brissy.. Close for sure.. ;)

SI meet coming up I'd suggest.

Jesder
6th May 2011, 10:52 PM
The Wonderboy board that was at $140, ended up over $220 (around $240) I think.

dezbaz
7th May 2011, 12:27 AM
Good to see sectionz making some good returns on his high demand boards.

GnG done well to

kind of proves us wrong hey :redface

:rolleyes

Womble
7th May 2011, 04:51 AM
Like the man in the orthopedic shoes.......

..... I stand corrected!