PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube: Qoob Chip MOD

XiTaU
13th January 2007, 01:32 PM
there is a free loader coming soon for the wii so we'll just have to wait for that.

Arcade King
13th January 2007, 01:37 PM
Mrs bought a Cube for the kids for chrissy for 99 bucks, top value console. first thing I did was QooBed it ;)

DKong
13th January 2007, 03:31 PM
Mrs bought a Cube for the kids for chrissy for 99 bucks, top value console. first thing I did was QooBed it ;)

Cool..where did you get your Qoob chip from and is it the pro? I take you can burn mini dvd-r in a normal DVD burner if its capable of dvd-r?

Arcade King
13th January 2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah any old burner should burn mini DVDs, nothing special about them.
The Cube can be picky about certain media but so far ive had no problems at all.

I got the chip from http://www.acegamestore.com/ I can say they were fantastic was here in a week and this was over chrissy. QooB pro is $50 which is great value for money, its really got my interest back in the console stuff.
Zelda Twilight Princess is AMAZING!

DKong
13th January 2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah any old burner should burn mini DVDs, nothing special about them.
The Cube can be picky about certain media but so far ive had no problems at all.

I got the chip from http://www.acegamestore.com/ I can say they were fantastic was here in a week and this was over chrissy. QooB pro is $50 which is great value for money, its really got my interest back in the console stuff.
Zelda Twilight Princess is AMAZING!

Yep found that site and ordered one;) Half price with free postage! Now just have to find some torrents......

DKong
13th January 2007, 06:29 PM
How much did you pay for the BBA?

Arcade King
13th January 2007, 08:11 PM
30 usd

Mickey Juice
16th January 2007, 09:34 AM
I've ordered a qoob chip for my GC, but I didnt know if I wanted to fit it into my current machine... because it's one of the later models, they removed the Digital AV out socket :(
Is it possible to mod one in?
Otherwise I might have to look for a new (old ;)) model...

Arcade King
16th January 2007, 06:43 PM
Qoob is suppose to work in any model.

DKong
16th January 2007, 08:09 PM
And this will make it Multi region?

The Pinny Parlour
16th January 2007, 08:11 PM
Made a new thread for this guys. Contents extracted from the shmups/GC thread. :)

Mickey Juice
16th January 2007, 08:48 PM
Qoob is suppose to work in any model.

Yeah it does.

The current AV out socket is analog = composite and RGB (only in PAL units I think).

They removed :( the Digital A\V port out in cubes made after mid-2004, which allowed for progressive output and the use of Component cables (YUV)

Arcade King
16th January 2007, 08:52 PM
Just use the composite like the rest of us :p

Mickey Juice
16th January 2007, 09:47 PM
Just use the composite like the rest of us :p

Heh, I have been so far :) Might have to stick with it :lol

EDIT: Looks like I can use an RGB scart connection (my Grudig TV has RGB scart inputs rather than YUV component). The GC outputs RGB via the analog A\V port.
and they only cost $8 :) So it's worth a try...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RGB-SCART-VIDEO-CABLE-for-Nintendo-GameCube_W0QQitemZ280070754326QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2 0389QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW What was the brand of mini-DVDs that you recommended the other day?

Analog A/V Out

* Composite video
* S-Video
* RGB (PAL consoles ONLY, not available in NTSC consoles)
* Stereo audio
Nintendo kept the RGB output intact for PAL GameCubes beacuse most European video hardware supports RGB through the widely-used SCART connector. In North America and Japan, the RGB connection type is not standardized, and 9-pin, 21-pin, 25-pin, and BNC connector interfaces all exist. In Japan the 21-pin type of connector somewhat more prevalent.

Digital A/V Out

* Digital audio (in Digital Audio Interface (DAI) format, not S/PDIF)
* YPbPr / YCbCr component video (via component video cable only)
* Analog RGB (via modified component video cable only)

Mickey Juice
17th January 2007, 10:50 AM
And this will make it Multi region?

Yup:

Direct boot of all media, without swapping! (PAL and NTSC)
Supports all regions PAL / USA / JAP
On-board MP3 Player included
Super easy USB upgrade system (USB transfer cable included)
DVD Disc upgradeable
Network upgradeable
Bios selection/control supported
Supports all retail hardware (DOL-001 USA, JPN, EUR and DOL-101)
Fastboot of original discs
Compatible with "GCOS" and other IPL replacements, allowing homebrew development via SD card and/or network
Comfortable easy to use Windows PC flash software (in download section)
Supports homebrew and open-source coding
Integrated media compatabilty check (checks all sectors of inserted media)
Streaming Audio Fix
Integrated status LED
Easy Installation, only 6 wires (no soldering on qoob chip required, special cable included)
Multicolor graphical user interface for easy operation
Supports Mini/DVD-R, Mini/DVD+R
16MBit on-board Flash to store homebrew applications
High secure - low power Actel FPGA
Supports Panasonic Gamecube
Packed in a stable carboard box including all wires, 3D Sticker and USB transfer cable
Product Compatibility:

Compatible with all GC versions (A, B and C), PAL or NTSC.

Mickey Juice
30th January 2007, 09:42 AM
I got the chip from http://www.acegamestore.com/ I can say they were fantastic was here in a week and this was over chrissy.

Damnit. Mine hasn't turned up yet... ordered it on the 14th... even though my order online just says "processed". :x
I can get Xbox chips from china in 3 days, but a company in the same country?... grrr!!!

Arcade King
30th January 2007, 09:58 AM
Thats pretty gay :unsure can you contact them?

BTW add
Tales of Symphonia
Luigies Mansion, DK Jungle Beat multi boot
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Mario Power Tennis, Mario Kart DD multi boot
Super Smash Bros Melee
To the "list"

Mickey Juice
30th January 2007, 11:54 AM
Thats pretty gay :unsure can you contact them?

I did once saying I never got a confirmation email (but I dont think you did either), they never replied.

Did the status of your order ever change online? eg packing. Shipped. etc Mine has always just said 'processed'... :unsure

I'll check the mail today and then send them an email... :x

Arcade King
30th January 2007, 12:07 PM
I did once saying I never got a confirmation email (but I dont think you did either), they never replied.

Did the status of your order ever change online? eg packing. Shipped. etc Mine has always just said 'processed'... :unsure

I'll check the mail today and then send them an email... :x

Mine just said processed.

Mickey Juice
31st January 2007, 11:08 AM
Mine just said processed.

I got it today :D
Looks like I got a 2nd notice from the post office that there was a registered package for me... but I never got the first one!!! :x Otherwise I would have had it 3 days after ordering it! :rolleyes

DKong
31st January 2007, 01:41 PM
Damnit. Mine hasn't turned up yet... ordered it on the 14th... even though my order online just says "processed". :x
I can get Xbox chips from china in 3 days, but a company in the same country?... grrr!!!

I ordered mine about the same time and was here within a week :unsure

Edit Good to seee you got it! Missed your last post

Mickey Juice
31st January 2007, 03:27 PM
I ordered mine about the same time and was here within a week :unsure

Edit Good to seee you got it! Missed your last post

Yeah that's why I try not to have stuff sent to my home address :rolleyes

oh well, can have some fun with it tonight :D

Mickey Juice
31st January 2007, 09:26 PM
Woo. Installed and worked first go (which I'm glad 'cause I wasnt un-screwing all those screws again to check my soldering!)

DKong
14th March 2007, 10:51 PM
What brand of 8cm DVD-R's do you use for backups. I have tried some TDK 2x and no go and would only burn at 1x . They were cheap and I have since found out they won't burn the NGC iso. Worked on normal size TDK DVD-R's burning at 6x so the ISO is ok. Just played it with the lid off the Cube ..very Ghetto. Would rather have the games backed up on 8cm DVD's
Cheers

Arcade King
15th March 2007, 07:02 AM
What brand of 8cm DVD-R's do you use for backups. I have tried some TDK 2x and no go and would only burn at 1x . They were cheap and I have since found out they won't burn the NGC iso. Worked on normal size TDK DVD-R's burning at 6x so the ISO is ok. Just played it with the lid off the Cube ..very Ghetto. Would rather have the games backed up on 8cm DVD's
Cheers

I use JVC had the same problem with TDK.

t1ckt0ck
15th March 2007, 08:13 AM
Cheers
I bought a Viper Case it saves u alot of time and effort.

DKong
15th March 2007, 07:42 PM
I use JVC had the same problem with TDK.
Thanks
I saw some JVC's at a camera shop today .$20.00 for 5 I think. Will give one a whirl tomorrow if the 4x one's I bought of ebay don't turn up. 10 for $15.00 inc postage.

I bought a Viper Case it saves u alot of time and effort.
Thanks as well
Looks like a good alternative in the long run, especially if the qoob chip ever allows DVD movie playback.

Arcade King
15th March 2007, 08:13 PM
The Gamecube is still only capable of reading 1.4 gig disks so the only advantage of using 4.7 gig disks is the price.

Mickey Juice
16th March 2007, 09:20 AM
Looks like a good alternative in the long run, especially if the qoob chip ever allows DVD movie playback.

Probably only if it's a homebrew bios. I think the creators have stopped supporting the chip.

After the release of Qoob bios 1.3c on 31st August 2005, the Qoob developers have since not released a new bios angering many of the Qoob owners. It is rumoured that the Qoob developers only intent was to make quick money and then abandon support for the chip. That seems to be the most likely scenario.

DKong
16th March 2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks AK & MJ I didn't know that , I can forget DVD movies on the cube then. At least the qoob does support multi and backups well and thats what I bought it for anyway.

Well worth it :D

bwodie
16th June 2007, 09:50 AM
what did you guys do about not having the homo screw driver?

Mickey Juice
16th June 2007, 10:29 AM
The silver platinum GC just had normal Phillips head screws in it.

bwodie
16th June 2007, 10:53 AM
damn! lol

schmake
17th June 2007, 09:56 PM
Many years ago before I had a Nintendo Gamebit screwdriver, the way that I got into SFC carts/nintendo consoles was by converting a Bic pen into a makeshift gamebit. I heated up (softened) the end that the biro bit plugs into then pushed it into the gamebit screw. Voila a makeshift gamebit screwdriver. It wont last long though.

DKong
19th June 2007, 08:45 AM
Many years ago before I had a Nintendo Gamebit screwdriver, the way that I got into SFC carts/nintendo consoles was by converting a Bic pen into a makeshift gamebit. I heated up (softened) the end that the biro bit plugs into then pushed it into the gamebit screw. Voila a makeshift gamebit screwdriver. It wont last long though.

Yes this works (the older Bic pens like the clear ones work better, better plastic back then)

Roxbury
25th October 2008, 04:05 PM
Time to dig up another old thread :)

I picked up a GameCube today modded with a Qoob Pro chip & a Viper case for $15 (no accessories other than the power supply).
At first it wouldn't work, but I noticed the mod chip light wasn't coming on. So I checked the ribbon cable connectors, made sure they were nice and tight, then it worked for me.

Obviously I can now play burned games, but I am happy enough to be able to play GameCube imports now! I'll have to look for gems that never made it to PAL land.

Mickey Juice
4th November 2008, 12:12 PM
Chibi Robo!

Gehirn
4th November 2008, 04:46 PM
Pretty good buy for $15

Mickey Juice
14th September 2009, 10:29 PM

Anyone know where to get a cheap gamebit screwbit? I tried the pen trick... but it broke off in the screw well/hole. :cry

EMupp
15th September 2009, 02:05 AM
Play Asia have them, which is a great place to find all sort of stuff. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-19-71-99-49-en-15-gamebit.html

It's international though, someone will probably know a local stockist.

Mickey Juice
28th September 2009, 10:57 AM
I bought one in Oz from acegamestore, but they sent me a tri-wing Wii screwdriver by mistake... and they won't return any of my emails, so I ordered another from play-asia for the same price (about $10 aussie)