PDA

View Full Version : AC filter help - I think the previous op had it back to front!

MangledLeg
3rd March 2011, 02:06 PM
I've been working on my Astro City refurb, and have come to the AC bit finally!

Thus far I've removed the old wires coming off the AC filter that were going to the PSU and stepdown transformer, as they had been dodgy-soldered instead of using insulated quick connects; this has been rectified now, and I have a female power socket coming off the AC filter and ground tied to the master ground point from the cable that brings AC into the cab.

I then re-installed the AC filter into its existing spot, but I have a feeling it was oriented incorrectly before, as it was wired up like so:

...................... _______________
-Input Neutral---.........................---Output Neutral
......................|....FILTER...........---Earth (not connected)
-Input Live------_______________---Output Live

I would have thought it would be the other way around, and that the earth would be connected to the middle pin and that side would be in the input, like so:

...................... _______________
-Input Neutral---.........................---Output Neutral
-Input Earth----- FILTER |
-Input Live------_______________---Output Live

Bob Roberts' AC guide (http://therealbobroberts.net/acwiring.html) suggests this is how you should do it, just wanted confirmation before I changed it around.

Edit: Full stops added to pad the diagrams correctly

Hewitson
3rd March 2011, 02:42 PM
You're 100% correct. I can't believe someone was stupid enough to wire it up back to front. :lol

Tip for the future: Wrap ASCII diagrams in [code] as it uses a monospaced font ;)

MangledLeg
3rd March 2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks mate, thought the op had stuffed it up :P

I'll make that change, and then the cab should be electrically safe again... or for the first time in a while anyways ;)

Thanks for the tip on using the code bbcode thingo - couldn't remember if it was active on this board, would have made the above a bit less dicky :P

Hashman
3rd March 2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry for the noob question but is the AC filter nessecary?

My screen chassis is 110v and I dont trust the transformer in the cabinet so I was planning on running 240v straight to this new transformer from GAMEROOM ESSENTIALS and then straight from the 110v to the chassis. I dont mind having and extra switch to turn on the screen seperately.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/hashman_aus/625e58d5.jpg

Is this OK or should I be putting one of these "filters" inline as well?

Hewitson
3rd March 2011, 04:40 PM
I'd recommend putting a filter in. It's unlikely you'd encounter any problems without one, but for the sake of a few bucks you might as well wire up the cabinet the standard way.

Hashman
3rd March 2011, 05:20 PM
I'd recommend putting a filter in. It's unlikely you'd encounter any problems without one, but for the sake of a few bucks you might as well wire up the cabinet the standard way.

Thats mate. Just wanna do things right. After that new screen died im paranoid as hell. Where is the best place to get them?

Hewitson
3rd March 2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS4001&keywords=emi+filter&form=KEYWORD

Hashman
3rd March 2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks yet again for your help man.

Dave

David_AVD
3rd March 2011, 06:59 PM
Some filters are not dependent on being connected one specific way. If it does matter, they will usually have LINE (incoming power) and LOAD (cab side) markings. The earth tag placement is not a reliable indicator.

MangledLeg
4th March 2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! @David_AVD - funny you should mention that, as the LOAD/LINE markers are in there as well... but maybe you're right and it can be wired either way? Both ends have LINE/LOAD, it's just that only one end has an Earth point.

Regardless, I've wired it up so that the Earth point is now connected, and the same end has the AC input connected, with AC output coming out the other end.

Almost finished all the wiring on my cab, it's finally getting closer! If I get time, will do the monitor swap this weekend, as I have a dual-res uni-chassis and a 68cm TV tube good to go :)

David_AVD
4th March 2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, some filters are of symmetrical design which means it makes no difference which way around you wire them.

Others as asymmetrical and should be wired according to the markings.