PDA

View Full Version : Cocktail Glass restoration

pommie
21st February 2011, 05:46 PM
Ive got a Taito style cab and as with many this age it has a lot of scratches on the glass top.

Q. Is there a cost effective way to remove the scratches or do people generally replace the whole glass?

Q. The glass came sprayed black on one side with a gab for the monitor and instructions. Is this the original factory creation and do people try to replicate it or just spray the wooded lid black instead?

Thanks

prktkljokr
21st February 2011, 07:03 PM
Just use the glass as a template and get another made, there is no real effective way of polishing out scratches in glass, when you get them to cut you a new glass, make sure they temper it for you.

Just mask off the new glass and paint it the same, I just use the old glass and lay the new one on it to get the masking right, just use any black paint as it all looks like gloss from the unpainted side, just remember that you are placing the painted side down on the lid.

pommie
21st February 2011, 07:14 PM
Oh thanks

wow, so painted glass was the factory default configuration? Seems to be a bit more troublesome than priming and painting the lid. But if that's how it was then that what i'll restore it too. :D

Thanks

european bob
22nd February 2011, 07:00 AM
Hi mate, don't know if this will be any use to you, its a glass mask for the Taito cocktails. Shows you where to leave blank.

Also, saw somewhere, mite have been on here, a guy using limo tint (for car windows) instead of paint and getting good results. Just an idea.

Anyway, here's the link. It's at the bottom.

http://www.classicgaming.cc/classics/spaceinvaders/techinfo.php

Hope this helps.:D

Alex.:)

azathoth
22nd February 2011, 07:12 AM
What is the advantage of painting the glass instead of the wood?

It would be easy to scratch the paint off the glass by it sliding around a bit on top of the wood through general use?

pommie
22nd February 2011, 08:46 AM
Hi mate, don't know if this will be any use to you, its a glass mask for the Taito cocktails. Shows you where to leave blank.

Also, saw somewhere, mite have been on here, a guy using limo tint (for car windows) instead of paint and getting good results. Just an idea.

Anyway, here's the link. It's at the bottom.

http://www.classicgaming.cc/classics/spaceinvaders/techinfo.php

Hope this helps.:D

Alex.:)

Thanks Alex,

Any idea what the small rectangle box is for in the bottom right of the diagram?

Cheers
Lee

prktkljokr
22nd February 2011, 07:11 PM
it would be for the coin slot arrow label

pommie
22nd February 2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys

european bob
22nd February 2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks Alex,

Any idea what the small rectangle box is for in the bottom right of the diagram?

Cheers
Lee

Hi Lee, yeah its for the coin slot lable. Ive just had the artwork recreated for my resto, its got the japanese text tho.

It's not 100% accurate, but not far off, (anyone speak japanese who can confirm accuracy?) because it was recreated from a picture. It looks ok to my eyes and i could'nt find one for love nor money over here, so, needs must...

Anyway, Quite happy to email you a print ready PDF if you want, PM me you address.

Alex. :D