PDA

View Full Version : Mgl12 game 11: Space invaders '95

Jed
20th February 2011, 04:02 PM
RAT puts a different spin on a classic with his nomination,

http://i53.tinypic.com/116no5y.jpg

yeah I know that's not the real cab:laugh: couldn't find an image anywhere...

DIP SWITCHES / ROM:

ROMSet: spcinv95.zip (world)
Lives: 3
Difficulty: Normal

NB: These are the Twin Galaxies Mame defaults, but the rom wont let you change dips anyhow.

Space Invaders '95 Description

An upgrade to the original classic shooter. The game features tons of very cute and happy looking aliens like the pink octopuses. There is also a level which features the original aliens.

Manufacturer: Taito (http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuf_detail.php?manuf_id=1664&orig_game_id=9663)
Year: 1995 (http://www.arcade-museum.com/year_detail.php?year=1995&orig_game_id=9663&letter=S)
Type: Videogame
Class: Wide Release
Genre (http://www.arcade-museum.com/genre.php): Shooter (http://www.arcade-museum.com/results.php?genre=Shooter)
Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical
Type: Raster: Standard (http://www.arcade-museum.com/monitor.html#R) Resolution
CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Taito F3 System JAMMA (http://www.arcade-museum.com/pinouts-class/Taito_F3_System__JAMMA.html)
Game Specific: Space Invaders '95 Pinout (http://www.arcade-museum.com/pinouts-game/9663.html)
Number of Simultaneous Players: 2
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Joint
Control Panel Layout: Multiple Player
Controls:

Joystick: 2-way (left, right)
Buttons: 2 [FireSpecial Weapon]

Sound: Amplified Stereo (two channel)

More info: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9663 (http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9663)

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 27th of February BY 7PM. (NSW daylight savings time)

Games for MGL12 are selected at random from the MGL 12 nomination thread. (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/37721-MGL-12-THE-DIRTY-DOZEN%21-Nominate-your-games-here%21)To nominate games after the competition has started, play in a game and submit a score, then you can add your nominations. They will be added to the MGL12 list.

Progress Scores:

Rat 394,140
Foot 219,520
Kane 209,940
Dkong 186,140
Taverner 150,770
Jammasized 146,510
Brad 144,950
Knight76 95,800
Wingtipvortex 81,690
Dezbaz 2,800

knight76
20th February 2011, 04:31 PM
Loving the variety. From vertical scroller, to side scroller, to stationary schmup. :lol What odds Time Pilot is coming up next?

This one looks interesting.

Jed
20th February 2011, 04:53 PM
Never even knew this 'sequel' existed. Just loaded it up on computer and bashed away on the keyboard for a game. Quite enjoyable :D

knight76
20th February 2011, 05:41 PM
Had a few games. Enjoying the more modern take on space invaders.

It's a pity at the start when the invaders are still black and white, that is isnt totally space invaderised like with your ship and the shields etc. Then turns everything color etc.

I like how each ship has a different special attack.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/0000-1.jpg

dezbaz
20th February 2011, 05:51 PM
Cool, interesting :)

Jed
20th February 2011, 07:17 PM
Loving the variety. From vertical scroller, to side scroller, to stationary schmup. :lol What odds Time Pilot is coming up next?.

I'm cursing wingtip's dice rolling skills, he uses his trusty D100 to choose the games I think, I'd like to examine it :lol three shooters in a row now marks my steadly fall off the podium :rolleyes Need to become better at shmups if I want to ever win this thing ! It's good though, as the best allrounder for the games usually comes out on top :)

BTW that's 10 games and 10 different winners, pretty sure that's a first for MGL's ?

DKong
20th February 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm cursing wingtip's dice rolling skills, he uses his trusty D100 to choose the games I think, I'd like to examine it :lol three shooters in a row now marks my steadly fall off the podium :rolleyes Need to become better at shmups if I want to ever win this thing ! It's good though, as the best allrounder for the games usually comes out on top :)

BTW that's 10 games and 10 different winners, pretty sure that's a first for MGL's ?

Would be for sure, I don't remember so many different winners:cool:

I had 2 games of this tonight one on the keyboard then the joystick, anyone know if you can get an extra man, or why the large UFO at the top sometimes drops down when you hit it ?

knight76
20th February 2011, 07:31 PM
Would be for sure, I don't remember so many different winners:cool:

I had 2 games of this tonight one on the keyboard then the joystick, anyone know if you can get an extra man, or why the large UFO at the top sometimes drops down when you hit it ?

I think it drops down cos it can hit the invaders and cause a little explosion.

Rat
21st February 2011, 07:24 AM
OK guys, I will give you the tips I can think of for now, maybe a few more later as I play a bit more, really there are not too many tactics just shoot and dodge.

One thing I'm finding refreshing about this shooter after the last couple is not losing accumulated power ups :)

If you don't miss any enemies their score increases to 300ea, back down to 10 when you miss one. This is handy to get a few more points on the first two screens, but then it gets too hectic to worry about.

Most of you will have noticed that you can hold the button down for a power shot, these are good for bosses.

The plain looking spaceship not carrying a power up drops down when hit with the first shot, shoot it again and he explodes killing enemies around it.

The levels are varied and innovative, do a few continues and have a look at later levels.

Rat
21st February 2011, 08:17 AM
Warming up :)

DKong
21st February 2011, 10:17 AM
OK guys, I will give you the tips I can think of for now, maybe a few more later as I play a bit more, really there are not too many tactics just shoot and dodge.

One thing I'm finding refreshing about this shooter after the last couple is not losing accumulated power ups :)

If you don't miss any enemies their score increases to 300ea, back down to 10 when you miss one. This is handy to get a few more points on the first two screens, but then it gets too hectic to worry about.

Most of you will have noticed that you can hold the button down for a power shot, these are good for bosses.

The plain looking spaceship not carrying a power up drops down when hit with the first shot, shoot it again and he explodes killing enemies around it.

The levels are varied and innovative, do a few continues and have a look at later levels.

Cheers for that I was wondering why I was scoring 300's on the first couple of screens:)

Nice score BTW what stage may I ask?

Rat
21st February 2011, 11:51 AM
Dunno what stage that was??? will have a look next game.

Just looked up my old scores on MARP from back in 2003 (wow 8 years ago) and it seems my PB is 419k round 22

I doubt I will beat that this week.

kane
21st February 2011, 03:57 PM
Stage 12.

Pretty typical Taito F3 game. Colourful, cute and fun.

Jed
22nd February 2011, 09:57 AM
Nice score Rat, looks like we are on target for 11 games, 11 different winners :)

I'm liking this game, rapid-fire spacies-with-a-twist is alright!

Rat
22nd February 2011, 01:33 PM
Did crap on my last man, could have been a PB, couple more games tomorrow and I might make it.

Jed
23rd February 2011, 04:46 AM

Game wasn't on my xxxx-1, loaded it in and performed much better on the cab. Should be able to improve a fair bit on this hopefully.

Rat
24th February 2011, 07:46 AM
Just got 395k, had potential to smash my PB, had 153k after the first boss, got perfect on the first 3 challenge stages, but game over before the screens I usually get up to.

Not many posting scores?

That's it for me this week, off to work, I hope people enjoyed being attacked by lunar loonies :)

dezbaz
24th February 2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/spcinv95.png

Woo hoo

new PB actually

kane
25th February 2011, 05:29 PM
Getting better I think, but score not increasing much :unsure

Seems to get alot tougher around round 12.

Foot
26th February 2011, 09:03 AM

At least I got a score in:)

DKong
26th February 2011, 06:57 PM
Will get a couple more games in tomorrow and hopefully crack the 200,000 barrier .

Taverner
27th February 2011, 10:45 AM
I only just started playing this yesterday which is a shame as it's a great update. Luckily I've an upright cab or I may not even have got that in after a trip to the doc this week, I love my kids I just don't want any more :laugh:.

Foot
27th February 2011, 11:48 AM

Not a bad game, kids like it too

Jed
27th February 2011, 01:17 PM
A few hours left for Spacies 95, an important game points-wise for the leading contenders, leading into the final game for MGL12. I'm fairly sure there's a couple of scores up sleeves here and there still :laugh:

Rat's looking pretty hard to beat at the moment though...

DKong
27th February 2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah Tav is holding his poker face on this one:).

Played through a couple of later levels yesterday with continue very Paridous SI style, good fun game.

Find I am getting done going for the 300 bonus's , love a game that has different tactical aspects :)

kane
27th February 2011, 02:07 PM
This is all I have up my sleeve...

I'm a bit the same with the 300s, the bigger score I try to get, the faster I die and the lower my score :unsure

Taverner
27th February 2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah Tav is holding his poker face on this one:).

I wish, like I said above I'm out on sick leave for this one so 150k will be it for me. I also spent all weekend helping family to move house which when added to the heat here lately and my little trip to the docs has left me a less than happy gamer.

Hopefully next week everyone will leave me alone and I can finish MGL12 with a blaze of glory...... C'mon Boogie Wings :D.

DKong
27th February 2011, 02:44 PM
So no extra man in this game ?

I have played quite a few games and never gained one.

Also what is bar meter weapon you gain from the big UFO , it comes up with a bar meter in the bottom left of the screen.

Brad
27th February 2011, 03:00 PM
Haven't had any time to play. Managed about 4-5 games this afternoon. Not a bad game despite the cutesy graphics

kane
27th February 2011, 03:17 PM
also what is bar meter weapon you gain from the big ufo , it comes up with a bar meter in the bottom left of the screen.

rapidfire!!

wingtipvortex
27th February 2011, 03:52 PM
I like this game. I was lazy and didnt play early enough, i reckon i could do a lot better.
http://i55.tinypic.com/t5m62t.png

DKong
27th February 2011, 03:56 PM
rapidfire!!

Which makes the 300 bonus harder, awesome :lol **** I was finding myself dodging weaving and setting up good firing lines.

Had loads of fun with this game, heaps of nostalgia in the game , the Galaga bonus screens are nearly the same on the first one in this.

The evil pacman type dudes that chomp down the screen .
Awesome game, great pick Rat :D

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

I like this game. I was lazy and didnt play early enough, i reckon i could do a lot better.
http://i55.tinypic.com/t5m62t.png

Get a real job and starting playing seriously man:lol

Jed
27th February 2011, 04:02 PM
Spacies '95 comp is now over.

Congratulations to RAT for a big win, good on you mate you kept the unique winner thing going, 11 games 11 different winners :D Do I hear 12 ? Could be cause the next game is one out of left field!

RAT now hold the MGL High Score for SPACE INVADERS '95 of 394,140 points.

Final results as follows:

1. Rat 394,140 25 points
2. Foot 219,520 20 points
3. Kane 209,940 16 points
4. Dkong 186,140 13 points
5. Taverner 150,770 11 points
6. Jammasized 146,510 10 points
7. Brad 144,950 9 points
8. Knight76 95,800 8 points
9. Wingtipvortex 81,690 7 points
10. Dezbaz 2,800 6 points

New Game and standings updated shortly.

DKong
27th February 2011, 04:33 PM
Nice 1 Rat

Well done Foot "it comes out the locker" , will look forward to a game at this next time in the Vegas with U:cool:

Rat
27th February 2011, 05:05 PM
I'm glad most people enjoyed this game. For me this is one of the best aspects of MGL, being able to share games that are less known. I always try to include a couple in my noms, long with a couple of classics. I'm almost embarrassed to win my own nom, I don't pick games I'm good at, I pick ones I hope everyone will enjoy. But that said, I enjoy games I'm good at, and games I enjoy I play more and get better at :)

Jed
27th February 2011, 07:40 PM
Rat now holds MGL High Scores for Space Invaders (original) and Space Invaders '95, you are hereby crowned King of Spacies :cool:

baz
27th February 2011, 09:03 PM
what does MGL stand for ?

wingtipvortex
28th February 2011, 03:28 AM
what does MGL stand for ?
MAME Gaming League ;)

baz
28th February 2011, 08:44 AM
but its not official is it ? lol

any AA members got there name on twin galaxies ?

wingtipvortex
28th February 2011, 09:25 AM

Its official here on AA Baz and thats what counts in MGL. Jammasized and myself are the Walter Day's of AA:laugh:

Taverner
28th February 2011, 09:34 AM

Twin Galaxies is for Arcade Machines this is the MAME Gaming League. Although everyone's so nice here that we grudgingly allow people to use those dirty old game boards if they must :).

baz
28th February 2011, 10:05 AM
your allowed to use mame for twin galaxies lol

they changed the rules

you must provide a live recording apart from the ipn file.

im about to make my first submission , i just gota get the paper work signed.

Jed
28th February 2011, 10:12 AM
your allowed to use mame for twin galaxies lol

they changed the rules

you must provide a live recording apart from the ipn file.

im about to make my first submission , i just gota get the paper work signed.

I thought you just needed an INP file for a Mame record submission ?

I'd easily have the Dr Micro World Record (5 million +) which I got in MGL..um 10 or 11, but I dont record games or bother with INP files.. I know of other people in the League who would also have some records here too, there's plenty of talent in the MGL :D

Taverner
28th February 2011, 10:16 AM
Wow that is a huge change, would be cool to have the MGL switch to wolfmame without video evidence but it would put too many people off when we're really trying to get as many people playing and having fun as possible.

baz
28th February 2011, 10:16 AM
yup yup , you need the ipn AND a live recording , i dont know why lol

its taken me nearly 3 years and finally i beaten a world record , il post it up once it gets submitted to twin galaxies.

by the way didnt walter day retire ? im sure he did.

Taverner
28th February 2011, 10:19 AM
In Chasing Ghosts he said he was and planned at having a crack at the music industry.

Jed
28th February 2011, 10:19 AM
yup yup , you need the ipn AND a live recording , i dont know why lol

its taken me nearly 3 years and finally i beaten a world record , il post it up once it gets submitted to twin galaxies.

by the way didnt walter day retire ? im sure he did.

Cool well done, what record did you get ?

Yeh Walter is retired now apparantly from running TG, not sure who's doing it now. I'm sure he has plenty of minions to do his bidding though.

baz
28th February 2011, 10:29 AM
il announce it to everyone on AA once its submitted and approved.. lol

Jed
28th February 2011, 10:35 AM
il announce it to everyone on AA once its submitted and approved.. lol

Wouldn't be Space Chaser would it ;)

baz
28th February 2011, 10:45 AM
no comment.

Rat
28th February 2011, 01:20 PM
Good luck getting verified 7baz, I assume they still have a separate section for mame and original hardware?

I tried to get verified for the mame section years ago, but never heard back from them and eventually gave up. Then I started submitting to MARP, much easier :)

If you do get verified 7baz, when you post about it could you give us a run down on what you did to get verified and how well the process worked? If it's a bit easier to get in the book these days then I might be interested in having another crack. (Now to find a 4 day slow record VCR tape for Asteroids, LOL)

But now days I prefer the relaxed rules here, I wouldn't like MGL to go down the verification route. I think the trust element works well here, and the fact that we break cheaters knee caps.

kane
28th February 2011, 01:50 PM
This direct from the Twin Galaxies site ->

How do I record games using MAME?
For MAME, a VCR is not necessary as MAME has its own recording function that produces an Input File (INP) that records all the pertinent information required.

The complete guidlines for MAME submission is here. (http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8772)

Jed
28th February 2011, 02:06 PM
This direct from the Twin Galaxies site ->

The complete guidlines for MAME submission is here. (http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8772)

That's what I thought, you don't need to video anything for MAME - they stopped asking for that a while back.

I've often felt slightly motivated to get one of those TG certificates on my Garage wall. Especially for some games, there's only a few scores existing.

Note to self: scroll through xxxx-1 list. Find osbscure game no one likes. Practice till fingers bleed, become World Champ! ;)

Rat
28th February 2011, 02:11 PM
OK so they have not really changed anything for mame submissions, and they are still treated as second class and not really proper world records. From memory they do get a section in the book, but not all submissions. I can't remember if you can get a certificate for mame submissions either, I think you could. Anyway I would be interested in how 7baz goes with that also.

I couldn't be bothered looking up that link, thanks Kane, but it looks exactly the same as the guide I followed in about 2002.

As I said I tried a couple of times, and re-read the rules many times, and never got an answer let alone any verification, so I gave up.

In my reference to VCR I meant for my Asteroids Upright Cab, sorry for the confusion.

kane
28th February 2011, 02:33 PM
We should get a thread going in the MGL downtime, "Getting AA represented on Twin Galaxies" or something like that, make it a mission. I should be able to get in the top 50 of some games :lol

DKong
28th February 2011, 04:24 PM
We should get a thread going in the MGL downtime, "Getting AA represented on Twin Galaxies" or something like that, make it a mission. I should be able to get in the top 50 of some games :lol

Or maybe contact some of the other leagues around the net, and have forum V's forum MAME battle.:)

You could have say three representatives from each forum for each game played. So for eg their are 10 games you could submit 30 players, the best 3 players for each game.

Or even a (which I have suggested before ) a State of origin MGL where States play against each other :cool:

wingtipvortex
28th February 2011, 05:28 PM
Ok baz, whats your score on Space Chaser? Im pretty sure its the one you are trying to submit, as you mentioned it a few times when you first joined:)
BE A MAN.......let us know. I reckon i could knock you off on it anyhoo;)

baz
28th February 2011, 06:43 PM
twin galaxies under mame its 26,670
im already ranked 1 in marp at 28,570

someone for the clone has clocked up 119 400 which i find hard to believe.
the ipn file is unreadable and the version of mame i cant get it so i cant check.
that was recorded in 2002.

well i clocked up 39,940 and its recorded.

im also first on head on , irem on marp and on twin galaxies the highest score is 6705 , mine is 21390 also recorded.

no one hasnt been able to beat me in 6 years lol

i played space chaser and head on almost daily trying to find a pattern to it all for nearly 3 years on and off and broke a few joysticks out of frustration along the way lol

Jed
28th February 2011, 06:50 PM
Or maybe contact some of the other leagues around the net, and have forum V's forum MAME battle.:)

You could have say three representatives from each forum for each game played. So for eg their are 10 games you could submit 30 players, the best 3 players for each game.

Or even a (which I have suggested before ) a State of origin MGL where States play against each other :cool:

I think the forum v forum mame challenge could be a great idea! The retroleague in the UK, and the llamasoft league also UK (which is possibly the founding father of online retro gaming leagues, been around more than 10 years) has heaps of good gamers, they often get 20-30 score submissions for every game they play. I used to enjoy it, but they play a lot of fairly dull console/home computer games I've never heard of and found a bit boring.. (spectrum games etc) so I stopped playing in their leagues a while back.

They also play mame though - though in the MGL we have generally higher scores for Mame games. When they played Juno first, many of them had never even heard of it it before :lol I still have an active account there, I might see if I can tee something up with the guy that runs it. He's an avid retro gamer that writes in online blogs, computer mags, and has also written a popular C64 coffee table book (http://hiivebooks.com/BookDetails.aspx?ISBN=0977998304).

Maybe: anyone who's come top 5 in any MGL qualifies to play in the all-stars comp ?

wingtipvortex
28th February 2011, 07:02 PM
i played space chaser almost daily trying to find a pattern to it all for nearly 3 years on and off and broke a few joysticks out of frustration along the way lol
Good stuff Baz! I played Space Chaser when i was 12, and i whipped your score way back then......batter up:lol

Rat
2nd March 2011, 06:23 AM
i played space chaser and head on almost daily trying to find a pattern to it all for nearly 3 years

Faaaarrrrk...that's dedication, I can't play a game daily for more than a few weeks. Space chaser and Head On are great classics, but basic pattern games, after an hour a day for a couple of weeks I would dread playing them. That said though I can understand your resolve to get a record :)

I'm currently giving my Asteroids cab a fair workout, I just changed out the rom so it's the same as the one they use for the world record. I'm not doing as well as I expected ATM, it's a difficult game, but I still think I can possibly defeat it, the game I mean, not the record. If I get to skill level that allows me to play as long as I want then I will say I have defeated the game. As far as the record goes, that's another story, dunno if i could play for over 3 days. I do ok at 24hr solo MTB racing though, so who knows ;)

Wingtipvortex, time to put your screenshot where your mouth is :laugh:

wingtipvortex
2nd March 2011, 09:34 AM
Wingtipvortex, time to put your screenshot where your mouth is :laugh:
Ok, had 1 game today, not using patterns as i cant remember them, just good ol freeballin
http://i53.tinypic.com/2egdyjr.png
Im more than halfway there:D

Rat
2nd March 2011, 10:29 AM
Ok, had 1 game today, not using patterns as i cant remember them, just good ol freeballin
Im more than halfway there:D

Very good :D