PDA

View Full Version : Cocktail help

steve2000
10th February 2011, 09:59 AM
Picked up this last night and the guy seems to think it was a space invaders. It wasn't working so he doesn't know and he connected a connector back to front on the power supply board and burnt a hole on the connector by shorting the transformer output on one of the fat tracks. Does the game board look like it might be a space invaders variant? Hard to tell just by looking at the board I guess.

MangledLeg
10th February 2011, 12:55 PM
Others on here might be more cluey from me, so here's my take:

The instructions are in Japanese, and the title reads "Space Invaders". Hooray for knowing katakana :)

Looks like there's an overlay on the monitor that would normally be used on SI, so there's another tick.

The cab looks the same as mine, which was original an SI machine from Japan imported into Australia before the locals kicked in. Seems to be an original Taito machine. I reckon that's the same dodgy step-down transformer I had as well!

I'm not too good with old PCBs though, so I'll leave that for someone else.

At a guess, I'd be pretty confident it's SI, or possibly a bootleg.

The wiring inside those old cabs can be a bit creative - I've taken all mine out and will be re-doing the whole lot to make it JAMMA ready and more electrically safe again. Mind, I haven't done much, but that's the plan anyhows :)

kane
10th February 2011, 03:55 PM
The board looks like a Taito Space Invaders, has the Taito codes on it, but can't see a Taito logo anywhere, and that top daughter board is not normal either.

There is a few Space Invaders gurus on here that will know what it is...

steve2000
10th February 2011, 05:25 PM
I haven't pulled the boards out to look for Taito logos .......can't see any on top.

Mangled leg I know it looks promising but a lot of the time what is on the outside isn't always what is on the inside :D

baz
10th February 2011, 08:16 PM
its a taito board of another game gone through a hack to make it into a space invaders.. or quite possibly its some of invader clone

is it a 2 or 3 layer ?

damn it , i been trying to buy a taito spacie invaders cocktail table for yonks.. they all seam to be up north

will you sell it if you cant get it working ? lol

figured it never hurt to ask he he

* arrrgggghhhh , your boards missing 4 ic,s ????

if your repairing her yourself give me a yell should you need any ics.. i have plenty here

european bob
10th February 2011, 08:26 PM
Awww mate, could i ask a MASSIVE favour? Could you remove one of your instruction cards and scan it in and send it to me?

I've been after that image for ages and have searched high and low, nobody seems to have either original cards or scans with the Japanese text. Going to get the image cleaned up and a PDF made, i'll Email you a copy as thanks.

Need this for my SI cocktail resto. Would be super cool if you could:cool:

EDIT. Just noticed one of the cards has, what looks like a sticker on it, you could'nt scan both cards for me could you?

Thanks. Alex. :)

baz
10th February 2011, 08:54 PM
i have just ID your board.

TV070001A
its a lunar rescue

the sub board up the top connects 4 ic,s.. i will have a look later to id the ics and see why that sub board is there.

there is a distinct possibility a tech has hack modded it into a space invaders.

its a black and white board no doubt.

steve2000
10th February 2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys for your help. 7baz might need to call on your expertise. I will have to spend some time to patch up the p/s board. The game board has three layers and the little parasite board on top. The third or bottom board has another edge connector like the top board and the wiring disappears into the loom on the opposite side of the cabinet.

Euro Bob I will do a scan for you but I don't know when that will be. I don't have any plans to pull the glass off at the moment.

european bob
11th February 2011, 01:20 AM
Hi Steve, no worries, i'm a patient(ish):D guy and my machine is in bits anyway. Plus i've got English instruction cards to slide in to hold me over.;)

Also, whats the state of the control panels? Just found a guy over here that makes mk1 style metal reproductions, they look the nuts, think they're about ?60 shipped (uk) just waiting for them to come back into stock. Could be good if your planning a resto.:)

Alex.:)

MangledLeg
11th February 2011, 01:39 PM
Also, whats the state of the control panels? Just found a guy over here that makes mk1 style metal reproductions, they look the nuts, think they're about ?60 shipped (uk) just waiting for them to come back into stock. Could be good if your planning a resto.:)

Post something in the arcade forum when you get them in - I'd be keen to see how they fare!

european bob
12th February 2011, 02:09 AM
Post something in the arcade forum when you get them in - I'd be keen to see how they fare!

Will do, they were supposed to be in by mid jan and i placed the order end of november,:unsure just keeping everything crossed they appear as my panels are shot.

EDIT. This guy also does the mk2 version (the one with orange and blue in it) and the upright SI panels too.

Alex. :D

pommie
12th February 2011, 12:10 PM
Bob, Has this guy got a web site with picture i can take a look at?

Hewitson
12th February 2011, 12:45 PM
That Road Fighter is so hard it's not funny..

baz
12th February 2011, 01:04 PM
bob may i ask which SI upright he has control panels for ? midway or taito ?

kane
12th February 2011, 01:24 PM
I believe the repro SI CPOs are here -> http://www.arcadeoriginals.co.uk/

european bob
13th February 2011, 02:27 AM
I believe the repro SI CPOs are here -> http://www.arcadeoriginals.co.uk/

Yes, thats the site.:D

The guy i've been speaking to is called Rob. From what i can tell from the pictures the panels look spot on, but , tbh, anything would be better than whats on at the moment.

@ Hewitson. Road Fighter is the absolute boy.........remember playing it at the fair when i was younger and absolutley loving it. :)

Alex. :D

MangledLeg
14th February 2011, 12:29 PM
Looking at those panels, I realise why my panels look a bit butchered - the op attacked the joystick ports with something to change the 2-way slot to a square for joystick movement in all directions.

So, looks like I'll re-use my existing ones or look for something similar, but with enough space for the joystick to be moved about freely.

The repros look stunning though.

andykmv
14th February 2011, 03:46 PM
i have just ID your board.

TV070001A
its a lunar rescue....t.

i wondered that when i saw the coloured strips on the monitor!

if you want to sell the lunar rescue boardset i am looking for an original set! any condition fine!

steve2000
16th February 2011, 07:53 PM
Had a look at the cab tonight.

Some good news....the monitor appears to be working. Without the game board attached there is a glow from the neck but the screen is black but when I turn up the brightness pot the screen goes white.

The two tracks on the back of the power supply board that were shorted appear to be a group of five earths so I can just move the wiring to some free tracks.

Sorry Andy not selling the boards at the moment.

steve2000
27th February 2011, 05:36 PM
Fixed up the power supply and hooked it up. Looks like the monitor might be ok but there are problems with the game board.

Jango
4th March 2012, 11:41 AM
Just saw this thread and wondering if you got this project finished / up and running.

Regarding the SI CPO overlays - did you get these and what are they like?