Jed
16th January 2011, 06:12 PM
Jammasized thinks you're a chicken, so fight like a robot with:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zpjl6u.jpg

ROM AND DIP SWITCHES

ROMSet: berzerk.zip
Extra Lives: 5k, 10k

Description:

Humanoid player runs through maze-like rooms, destroying robots while avoiding their fire. The indestructable Evil Otto is the game's timer, forcing the player to move on.

More Info: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7096

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 23rd of January BY 7PM. (NSW daylight savings time)

Progress Scores:

Kane = 13,520
Jammasized = 12,430
Ramere = 10,850
Rat = 10,210
Brad = 9,670
Taverner = 8,590
Wingtipvortex = 6760
Dkong = 6,060
Dezbaz = 2,530

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Gotta say thanks to Wingtipvortex for rolling this one up :)

Such a classic, so much history involved with this game - one of the first to have speech (make sure you get the samples.zip as it really adds a lot to the game) also people have actually died while playing it :blink: it also caused a decades-long rift between two great alltime players in the scene, when one beat the other's score without telling him :lol

kane
16th January 2011, 06:56 PM
One of the few games I have the high score for in the MGL High Score List. (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/13631-MGL-scoreboard)

Could never break 10K though, see if I can manage it this time around...

andykmv
16th January 2011, 07:23 PM
1260 but too crap to register

anyone else playing ?

Hewitson
16th January 2011, 09:31 PM
Eh? 10 grand is a piece of piss to get on this game.

World record: 401,130

Jed
16th January 2011, 10:01 PM

World record: 401,130

Welcome to the MGL. Feel free to play and post your score for Berzerk - show us all how easy it is :rolleyes

andykmv
17th January 2011, 11:29 AM

i'm callin you on that. :laugh: prove it and i'll donate $5 to AA (is the server fund still collectin' ?). $10 for 20k. :p

Rat
17th January 2011, 12:39 PM
i'm callin you on that. :laugh: prove it and i'll donate $5 to AA (is the server fund still collectin' ?). $10 for 20k. :p

Does that include me?

andykmv
17th January 2011, 12:55 PM
Does that include me?

are you callin hewitson as well ? ;)

kane
17th January 2011, 02:37 PM
Yay! Made it past the White Robots and up to 11k, don't know if I'll be able to beat that for the rest of week...

DKong
17th January 2011, 03:07 PM
Just had a game and going for a few more, noticed my previous hi was 9,710, thought that should be easy just scrapped 4000:redface

Back to the drawing (beer guzzling arcade fueled room :laugh:) board.

Jed
17th January 2011, 03:16 PM
Yay! Made it past the White Robots and up to 11k, don't know if I'll be able to beat that for the rest of week...

Nice score Kane, I agree the white robots are a killer! My best is around the same (10,900) but haven't got that for a while, need to get into training for this brilliant game :D

:lol

If anyone (let alone ....Hewitson....) gets 20k I'll be slightly amazed, this is a tough, tough game and anything above 10k is a damn good score :)

dezbaz
17th January 2011, 09:46 PM
Does this game need samples to get sounds?

I have no sound

Cheers

Brad
17th January 2011, 09:47 PM
Yes dez, and it really makes the game too.

Brad

dezbaz
17th January 2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks Brad I will go looking

Thanks Mameworld

http://samples.mameworld.info/Older%20Samples.htm

dezbaz
17th January 2011, 10:31 PM
Something to post at least LOL

Improvement inevitable, countdown intruder

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/berzerk.png

Jed
17th January 2011, 11:01 PM
My best game of Berzerk ever - 3rd game in :D

Made it to the 2nd set of pink robots past the 3 or 4 sets of white robots (fast moving, fast bullets) carried two lives there but blew them both.

The pink robots bullets are even faster than the white, but the 'bots themselves are slower moving, which I find easier.

When you get up to the white robots and beyond, the game becomes all about surviving the first few seconds of the level....pretty manic stuff :blink: if you can get past those first few seconds then you can usually setup the rest of the bots for the screen clear.

I $@#%$@#% love this game imo it's one of the most timeless shooters of all time, and it's not a button masher ;)

wingtipvortex
17th January 2011, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1LuYqU68M

Hewitson
18th January 2011, 10:23 AM
Haha, no worries guys I'll give it a go later on. 20k is being a bit ambitious but I reckon I can definitely do 10.

If I don't make another post in this thread you can assume I couldn't do it and am eating my words :lol

andykmv
18th January 2011, 10:28 AM
If I don't make another post in this thread you can assume I couldn't do it and am eating my words :lol

:loloops. might have to put my money where my mouth is. :blink:

Jed
18th January 2011, 02:04 PM
Haha, no worries guys I'll give it a go later on. 20k is being a bit ambitious but I reckon I can definitely do 10.

That's the humanoid spirit... fight like a robot!

Wingtip I played that song you posted while making my breakfast, at first I thought wtf, until the samples came in :cool:

Hewitson
18th January 2011, 02:27 PM
:lol I forgot all about being able to get shot through the neck.. One of the coolest bugs I've ever seen that.

Rat
19th January 2011, 02:17 PM
Dip problems again :rolleyes mine has dips for extra men, but not for bullet speed or starting men?

Is it just me that has these dips missing? does everyone else play with default without checking?

kane
19th January 2011, 06:33 PM
Dip problems again :rolleyes mine has dips for extra men, but not for bullet speed or starting men?
Is it just me that has these dips missing? does everyone else play with default without checking?

Yeah, mine is the same, Jammasized is just being extra thorough with DIP info :unsure

DKong
19th January 2011, 08:34 PM
Cripes realised I had my dips set for an extra man only for 5000, that should make a huge difference to my score :laugh: ( considering I can't make 10,000 atm :rolleyes)

If I run into another explosion again and die will , well lets hope it does not happen, shoot a dude and run forward and get killed by the explosive matter WTF this is 1981 right ???

Jed
19th January 2011, 09:40 PM

Yeh there's actually nothing to change except extra life to 5k, 10k... I take the dips from Twin Galaxies settings for Mame, sometimes they're actually not there in full when I look at the mame menu on my cab :unsure

Dkong easy solution, stay away from the explosions :laugh:

Quick tip always exit from the right hand exit if you can.

DKong
19th January 2011, 09:49 PM
Yeh there's actually nothing to change except extra life to 5k, 10k... I take the dips from Twin Galaxies settings for Mame, sometimes they're actually not there in full when I look at the mame menu on my cab :unsure

Dkong easy solution, stay away from the explosions :laugh:

Quick tip always exit from the right hand exit if you can.

Ha , was getting a bit quick on my next kill and running and firing and found that the explosions left from the robots were killing me.

Good tip on the exit right of screen , always did this:) tried a few different ways tonight up and down not good :(

Having troubles with diagonal kills I seem to get killed every time I go for one. Just lining them up behind walls atm :(

dezbaz
19th January 2011, 11:16 PM
Still shit

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/berzerk9.png

More work needed
:)

Rat
20th January 2011, 12:52 PM
Didn't find the white ones too difficult, got through them with two men remaining, but the next colour killed me straight away twice, I didn't even get a shot in.

Rat
20th January 2011, 12:58 PM
Like your new avatar DKong, wonder if it's real? and if it's on Billy himself?

andykmv
20th January 2011, 01:02 PM
lucky i didnt make a bet with you for 10k eh rat ? i wooda been sayin "rats!" :blink:

in the nicest possible way of course :D

comeon hewitson! u can do it buddy! :p

Ramere
22nd January 2011, 11:36 AM
Never played this game before, gave it a decent bash & managed to crack the 10k barrier.

http://i51.tinypic.com/23t1jcm.png

kane
22nd January 2011, 02:13 PM
After many frustrating 11k games I made it to grey robots. I seem to be doing much better this time around, I remember the last time it came up in MGL8 I berzerked my ass off and could never get to 10k, I think the MGL has improved my reflexs some.

Taverner
22nd January 2011, 02:42 PM
Really regretting having the cabinet out of play most of the week. First time I've played berserk and I'm loving it, nice controls, the robots look cool and I laughed my ass off the first time I got called a chicken :) All up a much better Wizard of Wor.

Out most of today and tonight so might be lucky to get to the first free man.

Taverner
23rd January 2011, 01:02 PM
Havent cracked 10k yet but getting there.

DKong
23rd January 2011, 01:29 PM
Haven't spent enough time on this, better get a score up

wingtipvortex
23rd January 2011, 04:02 PM
I too did not spend much time, although i do really like this game. This score was the first game i had, then it went downhill from there:lol I think i scored higher last time it came up in MGL:redface
Ill try again for at least 8K
http://i55.tinypic.com/2h51tab.png

Brad
23rd January 2011, 05:05 PM
Keep dying around the 8000 mark. Those white robots are VERY unforgiving!

Jed
23rd January 2011, 06:30 PM
Time's Up!

Congratulations to KANE for taking out the Berzerk comp, he keeps his MGL High Score for Berzerk and betters it, for a new MGL High Score of 13,520.

Full results and points as follows:

1. Kane = 13,520 = 25
2. Jammasized = 12,430 = 20
3. Ramere = 10,850 = 16
4. Rat = 10,210 = 13
5. Brad = 9,670 = 11
6. Taverner = 8,590 = 10
7. Wingtipvortex = 6760 = 9
8. Dkong = 6,060 = 8
9. Dezbaz = 2,530 = 7

LEADERBOARD UPDATED (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/38180-Mgl-12-leaderboard)

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Played about another 10-20 games tried really hard to catch you Kane! No joy, got stuck at the 11-12k mark. Can keep lives up to about 10-11k no wuckas then it's an avalanche of dead humanoids and edge of the seat type stuff trying to hang on.

Love this game though, the cylon eyes on the bots, the speech is great (cost $1000 p/word back in the day) and it's one that's always been on my faves list, will remain so.

andykmv
24th January 2011, 11:56 AM
man i couldnt get over about 1600 on this one, working off the laptop arrow keys (no sep mame cab or js interface yet) absolute crap score. :( levels 2 and 3 the bu%%ers kept shootin me on the diabonal (diabolical diagonal) and i couldnt point on diagonal fast enough to shoot on diagonal

put an order in for a jpac so i can hookup to external screen/js's etc.