PDA

View Full Version : New Dreamcast (and Neo Geo) games on the way!

elvis
31st December 2006, 10:42 AM
3 new Dreamcast (and 1 Neo geo) games are coming, and they're all shmups! YAY!

1) Last Hope:
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2oas-71-x-49-en-84-j-70-1lza.html
http://www.lasthope.ngdevteam.com/
http://www.lasthope-dc.com/
YouTube - Last Hope (NGDEV Team)

I'm *really* excited about this one. It started as a indi/homebrew project for Neo Geo AES. Support on the NeoGeo.com forums was huge, and it prompted the developers to release it for NeoGeo CDROM and Dreamcast as well.

It's back to the old days of R-Type (http://www.mameworld.net/maws/srch.php?search_text=r-type&mode=&strt=&type=&stat=&year=&genre=&cat=&ver=&since=&manu=&driver=)and Pulstar (http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/pulstar). Good old fashioned horizontal shmupping at it's best. I do hope these kids go on to make some more games.

2) Karous:
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2oas-71-x-49-en-84-j-70-1s2a.html
http://www.mile-stone.co.jp/product/krs/krs_top.html
YouTube - Karous

Japanese for "Crow", this is the next game from Milestone whose previous title was Radirgy (Radilgy). Gameplay looks similar, but a little "darker" graphics. Word from shmups.com is that the beta was too easy, but Milestone took it back to toughen it up a little.

3) Trigger Heart Exelica:
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2oas-71-x-49-en-84-j-70-1qgc.html
http://www.warashi.co.jp/exelica/
http://insomnia.ac/reviews/naomi/triggerheartexelica/review.php
YouTube - Trigger Heart Exelica

Don't know much about this one. It reminds me a little of G-Darius where you get to "capture" enemies and chuck them at other enemies.

And remember, if you want to play Japanese/US DC games on an Aussie Dreamcast, you'll need one of two things:

1) Utopia boot CD - Free off the net (if you can't find it, PM me). Downside is that it won't let you play foreign DC games on a hi-res VGA monitor! It only works on low-res SCART monitors or low-res S-Video/RCA TVs.

2) DC-X boot disk - available from Play-Asia and others for a few bucks:
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2oas-71-w-49-en-84-j-70-uj.html

This is the only legal boot disk available for Dreamcast, and it will allow play of US/JAP games on an Aussie console in VGA mode.

Savage
31st December 2006, 10:47 AM
Thats sweet..
After reading the forums and seeing this , I now want to get a DreamCast to hook into my Candy....

Cheers

stu
31st December 2006, 12:00 PM
everyone needs to get their dc hooked into their candy!!!!! it's essential! either that or its just really fun to play the games on it.

elvis
31st December 2006, 06:30 PM
The *only* way to play Dreamcast is through an arcade cabinet (preferably high res).

My current MAME cabinet with VGA monitor is going to be Dreamcastified. Can't wait to play Last Hope on that puppy!

I think I need a second Dreamcast dedicated to vertical shooters as well. That way I don't have to drag the one machine around the gamesroom constantly.

XiTaU
1st January 2007, 07:55 PM
my mate played some trigger heart when we were in japan seemed quite cool also saw some japanese guys playing it was pretty popular. Gameplay seemed good and graphics seemed beautiful so im expecting good things from it.

Mickey Juice
10th January 2007, 09:52 PM
hmm, almost makes me want to put my DC in an arcade cab! (too bad I dont have any spare cabs :(

elvis
3rd February 2007, 12:12 AM
Just got an email from Play-Asia saying my copy of Last Hope has been shipped. Should be here mid next week. Yay! :041:

Savage
3rd February 2007, 07:25 AM
Will DC-X boot disk also let you play games that won't play via VGA?:unsure

Got my DC hooked up to my Candy Cab, now I'm finding a shit load of games won't work in VGA mode

elvis
3rd February 2007, 09:36 AM
Will DC-X boot disk also let you play games that won't play via VGA?:unsure

Got my DC hooked up to my Candy Cab, now I'm finding a shit load of games won't work in VGA mode

There are only 3-4 games that won't do VGA. I know for certain that JoJo's Bizzare Venture and Gunbird are 2 of them.

DC-X will allow DC originals to play in VGA mode if the original game supported it. You can buy DC-X from Play-Asia for about $20. Very worthwhile if you play a lot of imports.

The Utopia Boot CD will not allow games to work in VGA mode. If you are using non-self-boot backups and using Utopia to boot them, VGA is disabled.

You need to use proper self-boots, or the DC-X to get VGA. Utopia is no good.

Can you list for me some of the games you are having problems with?

Savage
3rd February 2007, 09:46 AM
As soon as I'm back home I'll list the games..
Basically I was sorting ones that worked to the ones that don't (for Candy Cab)...

I'll have to sort the ones that don't work into *can't play in VGA *need anologue input *Don't boot

I tried the Utopia Boot disc, but it doesn't work itself in VGA mode..

stu
3rd February 2007, 10:09 AM
I got a hacked version of utopia boot disk that will allow you to run some games on the vga that arent suppose to.......i havent tested yet, let me burn and go and play with it and ill post my results shortly....

elvis
3rd February 2007, 10:20 AM
I have a copy of Utopia for my import games, and up until a few months back was only playing on a TV (my big VGA monitor was busy being used somewhere else).

Now that I've cleaned up the games room, I'm back on VGA and can't play my imports.

I ordered "Trigger Heart Exileena" from Play-Asia about a fortnight back, and they offered DC-X in the bundle for US$8. For that price, I chucked it in. Now I'll finally be able to play VGA Under Defeat! Woo!

So far all of the downloady self-boots I have work in VGA mode. Haven't come across one yet that baulked (again, excluding JoJo, which never supported VGA in the original anyway).

stu
3rd February 2007, 10:26 AM
gigawing 2 is one that doesnt, thats my test game

elvis
3rd February 2007, 10:34 AM
gigawing 2 is one that doesnt, thats my test game

Works fine here on my copy (selfboot backup). Full VGA brilliance. I play that one regularly on the VGA monitor.

Great shooter too. Medal volcano ahoy!

stu
3rd February 2007, 10:37 AM
oops, my bad....it's gunbird 2 that doesnt work :(

elvis
3rd February 2007, 10:46 AM
oops, my bad....it's gunbird 2 that doesnt work :(

Yeah neither of the Gunbirds do unfortunately. They suck pretty bad on PS2 as well (both games come on 1 disc). Shame, because they're good games with a lack of console support which only makes me choose the MAME option instead.

Savage
3rd February 2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah neither of the Gunbirds do unfortunately. They suck pretty bad on PS2 as well (both games come on 1 disc). Shame, because they're good games with a lack of console support which only makes me choose the MAME option instead.

Will the DC-X allow it to work in VGA mode? can only hope!

sneek
3rd February 2007, 01:18 PM
I so want to try to like shmups... they look so cool.

Dan, I think you said in another thread somewhere but which ones are the best for beginners :) and for getting you hooked :D

stu
3rd February 2007, 04:04 PM
Sneek, try shikigami no shiro 2, its a great game and it's not super super hard......really fun when you get into it, and its ported to just about any and every system possible.

elvis
3rd February 2007, 04:07 PM
Will the DC-X allow it to work in VGA mode? can only hope!
Unfortunately no. VGA capabilities are programmed in at a game level, and the DC-X won't enable it on games that didn't have the feature originally. :(

I so want to try to like shmups... they look so cool.

Dan, I think you said in another thread somewhere but which ones are the best for beginners :) and for getting you hooked :D
I might start a "Dan's guide to shmupping" thread I think. Start old school and head into the new era.

sneek
3rd February 2007, 11:30 PM
Sneek, try shikigami no shiro 2, its a great game and it's not super super hard......really fun when you get into it, and its ported to just about any and every system possible.

Cool... ill look it up and check it out :)
Any of the cave stuff you always hear about good ?

I might start a "Dan's guide to shmupping" thread I think. Start old school and head into the new era.
LOL awesome :lol

I know this is heading a little off topic... but does anyone know or has played Xenon2. I loved that game as a kid but only place i saw it was on PC.

Savage
4th February 2007, 08:43 AM
Cool... ill look it up and check it out :)

LOL awesome :lol

I know this is heading a little off topic... but does anyone know or has played Xenon2. I loved that game as a kid but only place i saw it was on PC.

IF you liked it on the PC, should have checked out the Amiga version, absoultly awesome. Sound track was by Bomb The Bass, only flaw was it moved a tad slow, but it was kick ass... Get an amiga emulator and get the rom \ disc image. If you can find the disc image, let me know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_2_Megablast

Sweet they've made an updated version free to download, will check it out

elvis
4th February 2007, 09:11 AM

Off topic? The more general shmup talk the better, I say! :)

Xenon and Xenon 2 were awesome. They saw Megadrive and Master System releases, and were one of the few Master System shooters worth owning (that console was sorely lacking in blaster action).

Good? Good???

Mate, it's worth selling your soul for. :)

Savage
4th February 2007, 09:35 AM
I saw something about cave on excellentcom, are they a company just into shmups ?

elvis
4th February 2007, 09:47 AM
I saw something about cave on excellentcom, are they a company just into shmups ?

Nah Cave do heaps of stuff.

They've got quite a lot of puzzle games.
Uo Poko is one:
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=803&page=1#2263

As is Mushihime Tama (don't confuse this with Mushihime Sama, which was a shmup):
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=868&page=1#18551

They also do those silly card games (either with actual cards, or video-card stuff) and target them at specific markets. They have games target to the pre-teen girl (all princessy crap), pre-teen boy (all killer insect overloard crap), etc, etc.

They also make a shitload of money form mobile phone games. And no, not "snake" and the UTTER SHITE we get here, but mobile conversions of popular arcade games. You'd be blown away if you saw what the japanese get on their phones. I've seen arcade conversions of everything from Metal Slug to Time Crisis (yes, in full 3D) on mobiles. Pity we westerners get such shit.

wow... sidetrack... yes, Cave, that's what I was talking about...

They even made "Power Instinct" which was a shitty 1-on-1 fighter ala Street Fighter (but it sucked bad).

Arcade Shmups are just one arm of their overall company. In japan most game companies do both software and non-software gaming. There's a huge demand for card games as well as other digital and non-digital handheld stuff. The thing is their market is MUCH bigger than here, so the diversity of what people want is enormous. Japan is a very different place to both Australia and America. :)

Arcade King
4th February 2007, 09:52 AM
Meh Wings of Death by Thalion was better than xenon. Had amazing huge Sprites and a Awesome soundtrack specially on a 1 meg Atari STE.

elvis
4th February 2007, 09:54 AM
Meh Wings of Death by Thalion was better than xenon. Had amazing huge Sprites and a Awesome soundtrack specially on a 1 meg Atari STE.

Don't know that one. Gonna have to break out the Amiga emulator I think.

Savage
4th February 2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/reviews/wingsofdeath/index.html

sneek
4th February 2007, 11:16 AM
IF you liked it on the PC, should have checked out the Amiga version, absoultly awesome. Sound track was by Bomb The Bass, only flaw was it moved a tad slow, but it was kick ass... Get an amiga emulator and get the rom \ disc image. If you can find the disc image, let me know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_2_Megablast

Sweet they've made an updated version free to download, will check it out
Nice... yeah after i posted i went poking around the net :)

That download is ok... nothing like what i remembered the original to be.

360heelflip
5th February 2007, 10:51 PM
I was really hoping for a NEOGEO AES release since I have an AES and MVS but don't have the CD based cosnole... Wish I still had a DC now...

XiTaU
6th February 2007, 12:46 AM
there is an aes release i think it works out to over $600 to buy though

360heelflip
6th February 2007, 12:48 AM
I would of paid that one stage, but not now...

elvis
11th February 2007, 09:27 AM
Just got an email from Play-Asia saying my copy of Last Hope has been shipped. Should be here mid next week. Yay! :041:

Still no show on my copy. Chinese New Year must be slowing things down a bit I think. (I wish we got 2 weeks of public holidays for new year!).

Can't wait for this guy to arrive. I'll be doing a review on it once I get a week's play in.

I also ordered Trigger Heart Exceleena, but it won't be shipped until the 28th apparently. Might arrive just in time for my birthday tho. :)

feeras
11th February 2007, 10:55 AM
I just tried Last Hope and there seems to be significants bugs in the software. Initially tried on my cabinet with a dc connected up via mgcd.... there was a joystick error where the joystick was continuously pushed "up". This problem was fixed when I tried on my second dc w/ original joypad plugged into tv via s-video. However, 20 seconds into the first level, the walls/barriers were invisible so there was no way to see obstacles, meaning you would normally crash and explode-- unplayable. Could it be the video connection? I'll tried the RCA cables later but I'm not holding much hope...

Hopefully mine was a one off!

XiTaU
11th February 2007, 11:39 AM
mine seems fine running through a vga box bloody hard game though.

feeras
11th February 2007, 12:26 PM
RCA works fine. I also plugged an original dc joypad into the mgcd and that worked fine-- all graphics showed up. You are right... it's not the easiest game... especially with the joypad but setting it to "very easy" helped, making it somewhat reasonably fair. I don't like shootemups that are unfair :( Graphically, it looks like an snes game....

does vga do anything for it?

XiTaU
11th February 2007, 01:38 PM
it is all low rez so vga shouldnt do much for it but i havent played it non vga so i cant compare.

elvis
11th February 2007, 03:29 PM
How the heck are you guys playing it so quick? Where did you order it from?

Virgil Tracy
11th February 2007, 03:55 PM
I see it is on Underground Gamer

elvis
11th February 2007, 04:18 PM
I see it is on Underground Gamer

Oh Jesus Christ. Some 30 year old game that's being bought 4th hand, then I don't care if folks download it. But this is a brand new title from an independant developer. AND it's only $30.

Please folks, go buy this and don't give developers yet another reason to give up on the Dreamcast.

Not having a go at your, Virgil. I just want folks to realise the difference between copying out-of-print games, and brand spanking new ones.

Virgil Tracy
11th February 2007, 04:31 PM
No problems elvis, that just may explain how some people got there hands on it so quick.

elvis
11th February 2007, 04:45 PM
I half expected it to hit the torrent scene overnight. Radirgy was the same. It's a shame really, because these developers go out of their way to support a niche market like the Dreamcast owners, only to get a stick in the arse when everyone downloads the game the day it hits stores.

And then developers go and choose worse consoles like the PS2 (notoriously bad for shmups, as it's slow, difficult to develop for, and has shitty interlaced and blurred/filtered graphics) and everyone bitches about it.

Just between you and I, I'm not surprised that developers are turning their back on the DC. Despite being the best console ever made in many people's humble opinions, Dreamcast owners don't seem one bit interested in making it a tempting platform for NEW games to be released on.

elvis
16th February 2007, 08:34 PM
Right, I *finally* got a chance to play Last Hope tonight.

I'll do a full blown review on it net week. I must say, that for the development time put into this project I'm a little disappointed. There are tonnes of faults that I can pick with the game. Yes it's homebrew stuff, but there's other homebrew stuff out there that plays better and was made in a much shorter amount of time (the Touhou games are released every 6 months or so, and all graphics, sound and code are done by just one guy, and it's better than this).

BRILLIANT music. The composer did a fantastic job there.

Visually it's OK. Not great but definitely not crappy.

Little things annoy me about it. Everyone bitched about the hard to see "shrapnel vs bullets" and they're right. Even in "Dreamcast mode" where this is apparently "fixed" it's still a pain in the arse.

But, the game is damned hard. And I do bitch a lot about games these days being too easy, so I guess I'm getting my just deserts. Going to put a few hours into it over the next week and write a proper review later, unless someone wants to beat me to it (HINT HINT).

360heelflip
17th February 2007, 05:05 AM
I want a Dreamcast again just for all of the SHMUPS! :)

Virgil Tracy
17th February 2007, 07:25 PM
I just tried last hope, I wont be buying as I suck at. It is a very nice side scroller but it is damm hard.

elvis
17th February 2007, 10:53 PM
It is a very nice side scroller but it is damm hard.
Damn right it's hard. I've been chatting to a few extremely good shmup players, and even they are saying this guy doesn't forgive ANY mistakes.

It's very heavy on memorisation, which is usually a feature that puts me off a shmup. I prefer to play on raw reflexes. Last Hope certainly chews me up and spits me out.

timothy2222
18th February 2007, 09:01 AM
I learnt in the late 90's not to feel guilty about downloading games.
I remember so many times going to Harvey Norman and buying a $100.00 PC game that looks great on the cover and only to take it home and play it and find out the game sucked and I wasted my $100.00.

elvis
18th February 2007, 09:50 AM
I learnt in the late 90's not to feel guilty about downloading games.
I remember so many times going to Harvey Norman and buying a $100.00 PC game that looks great on the cover and only to take it home and play it and find out the game sucked and I wasted my $100.00.

You're missing my point completely.

Dreamcast owners are a proud bunch, and know how great the console is. The games that are on Dreamcast are usually arcade-perfect replicas ported over from NAOMI and Atomiswave systems with identical hardware.

The Dreamcast is a rare item that gives you arcade perfection at home for a fraction of the price.

There are still NEW games being developed for Dreamcast. Why? Because there are stlil NEW arcade games being made for Sega's NAOMI and Atomiswave hardware.

I want to see these ports come to Dreamcast. Why? Because it's arcade perfect. I don't want to see NAOMI and Atomiswave games come out on the shit-house PS2 with it's ugly interlaced and fuzzy graphics. I want it arcade perfect with VGA out from my Dreamcast.

Now for all those old, out-of-print games: I couldn't give a **** if you download those. They're not being sold new, and honestly it doesn't hurt anyone if you download them.

For NEW games, you shouldn't download them. Why? Because there's only about 2 developers now (Milestone and Warashi) out of dozens who still want to release their games on Dreamcast. They look at the platform and think "why should we give a **** about Dreamcast owners if all they do is pirate our shit before it even gets released on store shelves?".

I don't care about people who download PC games. Whatever. The industry is fat and bloated and full of ****wit companies. I don't care if you go and download the latest EA shit on PS2 or XBox. It's a multi-billion dollar company that again is full of ****wits.

But everyone here loves the Dreamcast, and MORE games appearing on it would be great. It's officially a dead console, so the only way games will appear on it is if developers see them as financially sensible. If people continue downloading NEW Dreamcast games, then people will stop making NEW Dreamcast games.

I've got tonnes of old copied DC games. But I make damned sure that I've gone out and bought every single new one that was released over the last 3 years in a bid to show the developers that they SHOULD bring out more games. Under Defeat was one example of a ****ing shit-hot arcade game on DC. Had this missed out because the developers didn't trust Dreamcast owners to buy it, it would have been a crying shame.

Hopefully I've hammered the point home. This isn't the PC market, this isn't the PS2 market. This is an otherwise dead console that still has great potential for new software IF AND ONLY IF it's fanbase support it. It's up to you lot as a whole. Do the right thing, or miss out on some potentially awesome games.

timothy2222
18th February 2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the explanation I see your point now.

How cool would it be if the Dreamcast makes a big revival with cool new games being released all the time.

Savage
18th February 2007, 09:56 AM
I hope the make a Metal Slug 6 for the DreamCast, the Atomiswave cart is hell expensiv at the moment!

elvis
18th February 2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the explanation I see your point now.

How cool would it be if the Dreamcast makes a big revival with cool new games being released all the time.
You're damn right it would be cool. I dream of such a day.

I hope the make a Metal Slug 6 for the DreamCast, the Atomiswave cart is hell expensiv at the moment!
Unfortunately SNK/Playmore have refused to release any games on the Dreamcast for all the reasons I outline above. They are only going to be releasing their Atomiswave games on PS2.

If you want any of the new King of Fighters, Neo Geo Battle Colloseum or the new Metal Slugs, then you've got 2 choices: Arcade original or Sony Playstation 2.

I've got Metal Slug 6 on PS2, and it suffers the same problem as ALL PS2 games. Horrible ugly interlaced graphics and filtered scaling that makes it look like someone smeared vasaline all over your monitor. The game plays just like the arcade original, but the graphics show you straight away that it isn't.

Again, if more people bought Dreamcast games, people like SNK/Playmore would still be on Dreamcast. Remember that the Dreamcast is actually the same clockspeed as the PS2, and in my opinion capable of better (and definitely clearer) graphics. Plus it has buckets more RAM, which make 2D arcade ports with heavy sprite loads (like shmups) easier to port.