PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 3gs screen calibration

Sando75
10th January 2011, 07:59 PM
Hi Guys,

Need some help with iphone screen replacement. Hopefully someone out there has answers cause I cant find many fixes on the net apart from "take it back to Apple under warranty"

I replaced a 3gs shattered screen for a mate. The touch component of the phone was working fine before I replaced it. Once I replaced the screen with a second hand one I had and then the touch component was offline. ie if I pressed an app icon, it would actually select the one to the left of it. The bottom row doesn't seem to work at all, and to use the slide, you need to put you finger slightly above it to make it work. Online forums say you cant calibrate the iphone.

So I bought a new screen and replaced it, and the same thing occured. I am going to restore the phone tomorrow as the next option, and then i was thinking of replacing the actual LCD display underneath the glass as a last option. But without knowing exatly how these things work, I'm wondering if Im heading in the right direction?

Any ideas peoples?

Cheers.

Mr Pubstuff
11th January 2011, 09:39 AM
new phone ...

AskJacob
11th January 2011, 09:54 AM
You can't. They don't need calibration, as they are accurate and repeatable in design (every _genuine_ iphone capacitive digitizer gives the same location data - it saves $$ by not needing to be adjusted/calibrated which would add to the labour cost).

My 2 thoughts are:

1 - the digitizer is faulty (either non-genuine, or genuine but installed with a bend or grain of something stuck in the border)
2 - the iphone itself has issues (e.g. humidity or water damage etc)

Unless you really want to get gritty, jailbreak the phone and start hacking the firmware (I have seen some scary stuff tried out there) it may never get sorted if it is #2 above.

On a side note, I used a replacement digitizer from Deal Extreme which oddly enough was a genuine part and worked perfectly....

Cheers
Jacob

Sando75
11th January 2011, 10:57 AM
Cheers. Did the restore today, and it did not work, so tonight I'll install a new digitizer. Man i hope this is it.

I'll let you know how I go :)

Sando75
11th January 2011, 09:09 PM
Ummm....well, the good news is i have fixed this phone. It is now working perfectly. The better news is everyone on AA can LOL @ me, for being a useless dick. I accidently ordered a 3G screen instead of a 3GS screen. There are differences, even if almost unnoticable. I have been troubleshooting everything else but this over the last 3 weeks. **STUPID ME**

So, for future reference, if you find that your Iphone screen seems to not be calibrated properly, then you might have the wrong screen for it. (You'll notice you have the wrong screen because the #2 connector does not seem to clicp into place properly. If you have the right screen, it snaps into place and you can hear it 'click')

For the record, you can get the screens for $9 and LCD Digitizers for $35 off Ebay. Cheap fix if you fook ur phone.

Cheers, hope this helps someone

Mr Pubstuff
12th January 2011, 09:48 AM
phone tech sando!:lol

MangledLeg
12th January 2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for that - makes me feel better if I mangle my phone and it falls out of warranty ;)