PDA

View Full Version : Restoration Dos and Don'ts

JOC469
3rd October 2010, 10:01 PM
I was wondering if there was a list of Dos and Don'ts when restoring a cab?

I've got two dedicated MK cabs (MK1 and MK2) both in need of work. One side of the CP box has suffered water damage and has blown out. The T-mold appears to be holding the piece together. I'm trying to work out if I just remove the piece and replace it with a new painted piece. or should I try and try and keep the original laminate piece and just hollow it out and refill the centre?

Are there any guides for resurrecting/restoring plywood laminates?

In regards to artwork, what are people's views on replacing them? Should you keep the original for authenticity, or is a repro from Game on Grafix seen as acceptable?

These are my first cabs, and would hate to be responsible for an arcade faux pas.

dezbaz
3rd October 2010, 10:41 PM
Hi

It depends on how bad things are

Are you considering filling in the T-Mold Slot?

Some guys have glued it in. It also depends on your background IE skills etc

Pics would help if possible :)

narf_
4th October 2010, 06:36 PM
what if boards are rare as shit and expensive is installing a multiboard with the game a option

just curious too

JOC469
5th October 2010, 07:46 PM
I'd like to keep the T-molding as it really does make a cab. I was thinking I could remove the old plywood, 'refill' it with a new piece of board, reattach the laminate, reroute the piece then reuse the t-molding.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/joc469/Arcade%20Cabs/IMG_0104.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/joc469/Arcade%20Cabs/IMG_0107.jpg

dezbaz
5th October 2010, 09:23 PM
Hi Joc

Your poor old control panel is in a very sad shape mate (as you know, no doubt) :D

Personally if it was me I would remake them sides, but it really comes down to what type of woodwork skills you have and what power tools too.

I see the red sides are warped, so you probably would not be able restore that with glue or filler.

Any questions please ask :)