PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube & Xeno GC modchip problem

kakab
31st July 2010, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone,

Has anyone put a Xeno modchip in a Gamecube ?

I have the Black GC and the Drives mobo is slightly different to the pics going around on the internet for the install of the Xeno .

The pads that need to be soldered are the same but neighbouring transistors are not there on mine .

Anyway after the install apart from the obvious (it plays backups) Its suposed to have a red led on boot up and then turn to green . Mine only stays red :(

Any ideas from anyone ?

necroscope
31st July 2010, 09:11 PM
i have a cube with a xenogc installed and for some reason i usually have to boot a couple of originals everytime i power it up before it will read a back-up.cant tell you about the light though as i bought the cube with it installed i suggest http://www.thepurplecube.org/ for advice the guys there are pretty helpful

kakab
31st July 2010, 10:09 PM
i have a cube with a xenogc installed and for some reason i usually have to boot a couple of originals everytime i power it up before it will read a back-up.cant tell you about the light though as i bought the cube with it installed i suggest http://www.thepurplecube.org/ for advice the guys there are pretty helpful

Thanks mate I will check it out .

UPDATE :

I have found a small bridge between two pads . I cleaned it up and it works great !
A small laser pot tweak and she up and running :023:

mamejay
3rd August 2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks mate I will check it out .

UPDATE :

I have found a small bridge between two pads . I cleaned it up and it works great !
A small laser pot tweak and she up and running :023:

Rad KAKAB!

I just ordered one of these. From what I have seen it looks pretty easy to install. Just need to get my hands on some ROMS and little disks. Any tips on where to get the mini DVD-r's cheap?

What did you have to do on the laser pot? Was that difficult to get lined up?

kakab
3rd August 2010, 04:57 PM
Rad KAKAB!

I just ordered one of these. From what I have seen it looks pretty easy to install. Just need to get my hands on some ROMS and little disks. Any tips on where to get the mini DVD-r's cheap?

What did you have to do on the laser pot? Was that difficult to get lined up?

The mini DVD-R's I found on ebay the Seller advertises them as Ritek . There about $30 for a Reem of 50 . But You have to work out the best Burn speed to suit your Burner and media . I have had reasonable success at x4 with these disks .
I want to try and source Ritek D04's . Im still unsure of where to get these but these are the ones most people are using . The disks I mentione above others have also reported to have success with them .

The pot needs to read somewhere between 150 and 200ohms on your meter .

I think the better quality disks the higher you can leave laser pot setting .

Also when you get Xeno I strongly suggest you use wires to install it and not place it straigh onto the drive pcb . I tried that method first and it didnt work , its too hard to get the solder on the pads right :realmad:
The guy from Modsupplier recommends the wire method too . Unless your an absolute legend solderer :D
I have a HDD full of ISO's if your interested . I also have them on DVD in zip form but it took me AGES to unzip and store on my HDD .

mamejay
3rd August 2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I am getting mixed messages from different sites on the net about using wires or wireless. A lot say its easy and a lot say its hard.

Once the MOD gets here I will check it out and see how difficult it is. If its too hard I will just use the wires.

Had a look for DVD-rs on eBay. There are heaps there. Will just grab some and see how I go.

kakab
3rd August 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I am getting mixed messages from different sites on the net about using wires or wireless. A lot say its easy and a lot say its hard.

Once the MOD gets here I will check it out and see how difficult it is. If its too hard I will just use the wires.

Had a look for DVD-rs on eBay. There are heaps there. Will just grab some and see how I go.

These are the ones I got :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/50pcs-Mini-RITEK-DVD-R-4X-1-4GB-30Min-PRINTABLE-8CM-/150413599565?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Blank_Media&hash=item230559634d

You will see what I mean when you get the chip . Good luck with the install .

mamejay
4th August 2010, 09:05 PM
Ok,

Just got the mod which deliver was so ****ing fast.
Modsupplier are a great mob.

Any did the wireless install. I think I nailed it. Was a bit scary but when i turn the unit on I get the red LED and then it changes to green.

Don't have any copied games yet but I have disks on order so the final test will be with a backup.

I also adjusted the pot to read 200ohms so hopefully all will be sweet.

I must admit that the GC was so sweet to open up. Once the screws where removed the unit just pulls apart easily.

kakab
4th August 2010, 09:53 PM
Cool Mamejay , Your a legend to nail it first go ;)

Just be careful with the lens , I buggered 2 already and now waiting for replacements .

Try 200ohms and see how you go , some games may need to go down to 150 even . Depends on how fresh the laser is .

Keep us posted