PDA

View Full Version : LCD V's Arcade Monitor

AnZ
23rd November 2006, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

First off I have really enjoyed reading & more reading of these forums. Lots of info & friendly people.
Im completely new to this scene & still learning lots. I have my plans (Mamestation with some mods to design) & Have my list of parts to order. Which will be done in the next week.

The only sticking point I have @ the moment is to use either Arcade Monitor or LCD. This will be a pure mame cabinet. But that said I still want to achieve an arcade look. As anyone done a mame cab with an LCD ??

LCD:
Resolution: Doesnt reproduce cga very well or low resolution -
Cost of 21inch plus monitors is high -
Low power consumption +
Greater cross platform compatability (PS2,Xbox,PC etc) +
No high voltage issues. +
Less heat genarated ( btw I live in Darwin ) +

Arcade Monitor:
Resolution: Need a multi res screen to truely cross platform -/+
Faithful reproduction of graphic in games for mame +
Allows for addition of jamma, neo-geo and the like to be added. +
Heat ( As mentioned before ) -
Parts & Tuning required over time. -
High voltage exposure -

So over to you guys, what do you think, and yes Im after the good the bad and the ugly with your posts.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Carcas
24th November 2006, 01:19 AM
Hi AnZ,

Looks like you already know most of the in's and outs. We can help you with some info but it's your descion to make. I would suggest using a TV running from S-Video. They look almost like an arcade monitor (some picky purist nancy's will argue otherwise) but are alot cheaper with the added bonus of working with a standard video card.

Have a look at this link it helped me to decide.
http://www.cybercoma.com/supercade/monitor.shtml

PS. Welcome to the club.

PSS. How is GW going these days with the new expansion? Seems to have killed all the PVP action.

MadMikeAU
24th November 2006, 01:56 AM
Both are similar. Both will work. But one major difference here...

$

The Pinny Parlour
24th November 2006, 06:40 AM
G'day,

Having a look at your own pros and cons, (+ & -) I see that the LCD wins.

Depends on what games you want to play. Arcade games = Arcade monitor. http://www.jomac.net.au/ If you want to play consoles and arcade and ??? get an LCD.

timothy2222
24th November 2006, 09:11 AM
I have the same problem it is a tuff choice.

I play the games on my Home pc with a LCD and the graphics look so sharp and crisp. Even though the sharp picture is unrealistic it still looks better.

When I play the same game on my mame machine with a 26 inch arcade monitor the games look realistic but not as sharp but after a few seconds when you play the game you dont really care.

I cant imagine my mame machine with a 21 inch monitor in it. I think monitor size is more important than mega sharp graphics.

If it was my choice I would get a large arcade monitor over a smaller LCD screen.

The price being cheaper is just a added bonus.

MadMikeAU
24th November 2006, 12:05 PM
For 3D games, LCD is a good option. But for 2D consoles, go the CRT due to the fact that some games rely on that blurryness in order to mix extra colors through dithering. On a crisp monitor, they look like stripy ass.

AnZ
24th November 2006, 01:28 PM
Hi AnZ,

Looks like you already know most of the in's and outs. We can help you with some info but it's your descion to make. I would suggest using a TV running from S-Video. They look almost like an arcade monitor (some picky purist nancy's will argue otherwise) but are alot cheaper with the added bonus of working with a standard video card.

Have a look at this link it helped me to decide.
http://www.cybercoma.com/supercade/monitor.shtml

PS. Welcome to the club.

PSS. How is GW going these days with the new expansion? Seems to have killed all the PVP action.

I would like to try and avoid TV if I can but it may end up being the only alt. if SWMBO aka Minister of Finance doesnt sign off on it.

I have done the circuit of supplier's & none have any 25-26 inch in stock atm, most have them due in the new year. All have 29 inch in stock but the cost maybe the defining (sp) point. Shipping to Darwin is around $200 for a monitor so that is a factor as well.

Suppliers I have spoken to
GameDude
Zax
Highway

All very friendly & help guys, which is great (For me anyway)

I think I will pass on LCD as the cost & graphic repoduction are big minus. Maybe a small touch screen for my mp3 jukebox.

So that leaves me with either Arcade or TV...hmmm
If I go TV & make the cab a pure Mame/PS2/Xbox & Get an Arcade Monitor for a Jamma cab, then I only need a 20inch for the the cocktail cab.

This is totally doing my head in atm :unsure ....off to kill stuff in GW (Guildwars) for awhile.
Thanks for all the thoughts so far, keep them coming

Crafty
27th November 2006, 09:31 AM
Not plugging another forum, but check out this MAME machine on BYOAC, utilizing an LCD.

It is a piece of Art...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=55789.0

OzStick
29th November 2006, 08:58 AM
Not plugging another forum, but check out this MAME machine on BYOAC, utilizing an LCD.

It is a piece of Art...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=55789.0

Very nice cabinet at that link Crafty, but it staggers me that someone would pay so much attention to detail yet still use ONE colour for all his wiring!!!!

Cheers,
Chris

Prof
29th November 2006, 04:57 PM
Remeber a 17" lcd is the same viewable area as a 19" monitor (17.4 average), so a 21" lcd is equivelent to a 23" monitor :D

Also, if you get one that displays low def tv, it should be ok for cga. Always try and find out the native resolution of any lcd. This is the real pixel count.

Crafty
29th November 2006, 07:37 PM
Very nice cabinet at that link Crafty, but it staggers me that someone would pay so much attention to detail yet still use ONE colour for all his wiring!!!!

Cheers,
Chris

This is about his third or fourth cabinet he has built, including a juke box.
He has a web page which is well worth visiting.
I'm sure it's available from his project page
I listed earlier.
One thing he specifies when wiring his Cp is to use a thick gague wire which he bends into shape and then connects everything up.
It does make things look tidier.
As for the single colour. I suppose when you start building MAME cabinet's regularly it gets easier..:unsure

Black Tiger
30th November 2006, 12:15 AM
I suppose when you start building MAME cabinet's regularly it gets easier...

That reminds me of the arcade cab tech I know - he has worked on so many machines that he can now read and write in Japanese better than he can in English!
it blows my mind how he tought himself a whole language by working on so many imported machines

AnZ
30th November 2006, 02:39 AM
Remeber a 17" lcd is the same viewable area as a 19" monitor (17.4 average), so a 21" lcd is equivelent to a 23" monitor :D

Also, if you get one that displays low def tv, it should be ok for cga. Always try and find out the native resolution of any lcd. This is the real pixel count.

[Noob hat on]

Could you explain how the native resolution & pixel count would effect the picture quiality.
As I understand it *Very limited knowledge* if the lcd supports low def tv (anolog) it still produces a high resolution picture based on the internal proccessor of the lcd.
Would how you connect to the lcd make a difference. ie rca/s-vid/DB pulg(vga)

[Noob hat off]

Might go try this on my LCD TV, it has a Hi def tuner included which by default includes low def. Even if this does look good I cant see me putting a 42inch LCD in a cab lol :lol :lol

uprising
4th December 2006, 09:33 PM
If money is not an issue than I would say LCD for sure....

So many more options for your cab build with the space it would save

Let your imagination run wild :badgrin