PDA

View Full Version : Monitor fell over..now it wont work ???

lexmark
7th July 2010, 10:45 PM
The kids accidently pushed the 22 inch monitor over..it fell forward onto the

keyboard....now it wont work....just a blank , black screen.

Anyone know what might be wrong with it ?

Seems a bit strange :unsure ....or are LCDs that fragile ??

john

bwodie
7th July 2010, 10:48 PM
shouldnt really be that fragile
i wonder if its a power issue

WOKA
7th July 2010, 10:48 PM
Any power on light at all...?

lexmark
7th July 2010, 11:05 PM
I didnt check the power on light :redface ...will check tomorrow

And talking about power issues...they said that the entire house blacked out when it fell over .....might it have shorted something inside with the bump ??

john

The Pinny Parlour
7th July 2010, 11:46 PM
AD insurance?

Homepin
8th July 2010, 11:30 AM
does it look like this:

http://www.homepin.com/pics/CrackedScreen.jpg

lexmark
8th July 2010, 05:33 PM
does it look like this:

What is that .......looks like a painting by the dude that did BLUE POLES

john

The Pinny Parlour
8th July 2010, 08:04 PM
What is that .......looks like a painting by the dude that did BLUE POLES

john

That's what a smashed LCD looks like.

so... do you have Accidental Damage insurance?

lexmark
9th July 2010, 06:12 AM
so... do you have Accidental Damage insurance?

Not sure on that one ? ...I have contents insurance....have to have a look at the policy to see if it will cover this sort of thing.

Anyway, seems that there is no power to the unit that fell over...is there anything I can do to fix that problem ?, do these things have fuses in them ...or some other consumable part that I can replace, to get it going again ?

So what I'm saying is.....how do I troubleshoot it ?

Not a big deal...but would be a pitty to throw it out if it's an easy fix .

john

Myny
9th July 2010, 08:34 AM
Where are you located, someone might be able to help you if you're nearby?

arcadus
9th July 2010, 10:29 AM
You could unplug it, place a multimeter (on Ohms scale) across the 240AC plug and operate the power button.
If it stays OC, it could be cord, switch or fuse.
If the resistance changes it could be more serious within the power supply.
Personally, I would take the back off and see if anything has fallen out, unseated, etc..

does it look like this:

Might use that as a screensaver:D

lexmark
9th July 2010, 03:11 PM
Where are you located, someone might be able to help you if you're nearby?

NO ONE is close to me..I live on King Island....it's between victoria and Tasmania

You could unplug it, place a multimeter (on Ohms scale) across the 240AC plug and operate the power button.
If it stays OC, it could be cord, switch or fuse.
If the resistance changes it could be more serious within the power supply.
Personally, I would take the back off and see if anything has fallen out, unseated, etc..

OK...will give that a go ...didn't even think to use the multimeter.

I will also look inside ...I got as far as decasing it the other night ...but didn't go any further .

john

WOKA
9th July 2010, 03:43 PM
NO ONE is close to me..I live on King Island....it's between victoria and Tasmania

How nice..!

How's the names on King Island; Pear Shape, Grassy, Egg Lagoon, etc..! Would be a beautiful place for sure.

'Back on track'

lexmark
9th July 2010, 08:54 PM
How nice..!

How's the names on King Island; Pear Shape, Grassy, Egg Lagoon, etc..! Would be a beautiful place for sure.

Yeah...not a bad spot for a relaxing few days holiday out of the rat race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfu9ts1755Y&feature=geosearch

john

lexmark
10th July 2010, 04:39 PM
Further investigation has found that one of the capacitor legs, on the solder side of the PS board has shorted out against the metal back of the display panel ( both are burnt )...like there was a zap of power .

So...should I just order another power supply board from Acer ??...or might there be other problems ??

john

Myny
11th July 2010, 08:28 PM
Is there any other damage? You might be able to just replace the cap.

lexmark
12th July 2010, 05:38 AM
Is there any other damage? You might be able to just replace the cap.

Everything else" looks" fine ....yeah , I might start with the cap and see what happens .

john

GameDude
18th July 2010, 05:20 PM
If there is a zap mark expect the fuse, the bridge rectifier (maybe the spike arrestors) and probably the switching transistor to be stuffed... well at least one of them anyway....
The PSU design is probably Delta and is a very common component used in many LCD panels of the same size... usually very easy to source another if you can find one with a busted LCD...

Further investigation has found that one of the capacitor legs, on the solder side of the PS board has shorted out against the metal back of the display panel ( both are burnt )...like there was a zap of power .

So...should I just order another power supply board from Acer ??...or might there be other problems ??

john

Homepin
18th July 2010, 05:27 PM

don't even dream of trying to order a replacement power supply from Acer - it will cost more than a new monitor - that's just how things go in this 'throw away' age.

On the positive side take note of what Gamedude has said as it will possibly be a fairly easy fix BUT beware that you are playing with the part of the circuitry that is connected directly to the mains!

Danger Will Robinson :lol

lexmark
18th July 2010, 06:13 PM
If there is a zap mark expect the fuse, the bridge rectifier (maybe the spike arrestors) and probably the switching transistor to be stuffed... well at least one of them anyway....
The PSU design is probably Delta and is a very common component used in many LCD panels of the same size... usually very easy to source another if you can find one with a busted LCD...

Thanks Dorian........I will get some model and part no's tomorrow, and see if I can find a second hand one somewhere .

Danger Will Robinson

Yeah......well aware of that....I will only do as much as I feel comfortable with.

I'm not trying to be miserable here guys.....I have allready purchased another monitor, for me it would be a great sense of accomplishment if I can get this one to work again.

john