PDA

View Full Version : Calling on all owners of Sega ST-V.

MadMikeAU
12th November 2006, 02:25 AM
On the Sega ST-V PCB, I am missing the dongle that much be attached to CN5.
The board does not function without it.

Could someone please scan theirs and post it here? I need pics high res enough to be able to make my own. Front and back if possible

Or if someone knows the pinout of CN5. That would be handy info too

The Pinny Parlour
12th November 2006, 02:49 AM
Went through the manual and there isn't a picture of much reference to it at all.

MadMikeAU
12th November 2006, 03:03 AM
Went through the manual and there isn't a picture of much reference to it at all.

In the manual on page 2 (6/30 in the pdf version) it states...

Does not function if CN5 is not connected with the Board (839-0724). Also make sure that this Board is not connected with another connector.

That is the only mention of it (or CN5) in the manual. But it does show where CN5 is. It is a pisy little thing that just covers the connector

The Pinny Parlour
12th November 2006, 03:36 AM
Yep, exactly. Not much at all.

Prof
12th November 2006, 07:42 AM
I've got nothing that late, but try posting on RVGAC. Might get some help there

Berty
12th November 2006, 10:01 AM
I scanned mine just then. I really couldnt make out anything useful from the scans, but i will send them to you if you want. I think best option would be to take a multimeter to the top pins and see where they go. Which leads me to my question; is this intended as some sort of security device? or merely a grounding dongle like the ones found in multi cpu boards with unpopulated sockets.

MadMikeAU
12th November 2006, 03:04 PM
I saw in the manual that the CD-ROMs, printers, etc are SCSI. So, I suspect strongly that this is a SCSI terminator. Which means it would be fairly simple.

Of course, Sega have used a non standard pinout. Otherwise, I would have used one of the terminators that I have here.

If the pic is huge (and I hope it is) you could just put it up on you FTP site and I'll grab it from there.

Berty
12th November 2006, 07:44 PM
righto, well i scanned it at 600dpi. I will ftp it and put the link up in a bit

Here tis...

Beavis (http://www.cowboyberty.com/STV/stv%20dongle.jpg) & Butthead (http://www.cowboyberty.com/STV/stv%20dongle2.jpg)

MadMikeAU
12th November 2006, 09:09 PM
OK. Those scans tell me next to nothing due to the scanner focus. :( Pity that scanners are only designed to scan in 2D
Hmmm...I will play around with them in XnView t see if I can see any tracks.

Meanwhile, off the main board...
C1-C10,C21-C32,B32 and A32 are all common. Probably GND

Off a pic of a video card...
A1-A5,A7-A27 are connected to B1-B5,B7-B27 respectivly (eg A1-B1, A2-B2, etc)

Do you see any traces on the dongle?

Berty
12th November 2006, 09:28 PM
Nope, no traces.

Not Matt
12th November 2006, 09:50 PM
A quick q on the ST-V board. A mate has one with Die Hard Arcade. I want it and he doesn't. I was going to swap him for Tekken 2, but now he wants either my Snow Bros or AvP boards for it.

How much do you guys reckon an ST-V board with game is worth, dos that trade sound fair in any sense?

Berty
12th November 2006, 09:52 PM
Its not worth AVP, thats for sure.

MadMikeAU
12th November 2006, 10:28 PM
A quick q on the ST-V board. A mate has one with Die Hard Arcade. I want it and he doesn't. I was going to swap him for Tekken 2, but now he wants either my Snow Bros or AvP boards for it.

How much do you guys reckon an ST-V board with game is worth, dos that trade sound fair in any sense?

ST-V PCB is worth $100-150
Die Hard Arcade is worth $50-??? due to the fact that it is one of the few games worth getting on the system. (Virtua Fighter Remix and Radiant Silvergun being the only others)

Edit: Was just over at klov and noticed the DHA control panel...(cue Twilight Zone theme here)...notice that P1 has a pic of the WTC towers, while P2 has the WTC towers blowing up, in an eerily similar fashion to how they did. Remeber:this game came out in 1996. Maybe Osama played it and said "Oh shit, what a good idea. I'll try and blow up the top of the towers next time". LMAO
http://www.klov.com/images/11/1122655058.jpg

Ric
13th November 2006, 07:50 AM
hey there mike

I have a Sega Titan - do you want high res pics - I don't have a scanner but happy to take pics

let me know what you need - dongle in our out etc

Ric

bwodie
13th November 2006, 08:42 AM
stv board and die hard worth about 1-150 tops
can get them shipped from us ebay for about that.

Ric
13th November 2006, 08:52 AM
i got mine at auction with winter heat and tecmo soccer for $40 plus 12% commission - although this really was a good bargain

MadMikeAU
13th November 2006, 03:03 PM
stv board and die hard worth about 1-150 tops
can get them shipped from us ebay for about that.

Sounds about right for the combo.

staceyamusements
13th November 2006, 07:13 PM
ST-V PCB is worth $100-150
Die Hard Arcade is worth $50-??? due to the fact that it is one of the few games worth getting on the system. (Virtua Fighter Remix and Radiant Silvergun being the only others)

Edit: Was just over at klov and noticed the DHA control panel...(cue Twilight Zone theme here)...notice that P1 has a pic of the WTC towers, while P2 has the WTC towers blowing up, in an eerily similar fashion to how they did. Remeber:this game came out in 1996. Maybe Osama played it and said "Oh shit, what a good idea. I'll try and blow up the top of the towers next time". LMAO
http://www.klov.com/images/11/1122655058.jpg

Dont forget the classic Shienryu cart or Terra Diver cart.
Great shooters.

GIBO
24th November 2006, 09:52 AM
Try A7-B7,A8-B8,A9-B9 all the way to A27-B27 traces must be on the other side of the dongle PCB

MadMikeAU
24th November 2006, 11:57 AM
Try A7-B7,A8-B8,A9-B9 all the way to A27-B27 traces must be on the other side of the dongle PCB

Great work! Thanks. Did you check all the A-B pairings? I have a scan of the video card and that has A1-B1,...A5-B5 as well.

Anyways, I will grab a bunch of jumper shunts and start plugging them in.

BTW, Berty: I was gonna throw the bubble wrap out that you sent the pcb in. I noticed something hard in it. It was a spare US BIOS chip on foam. :unsure

Berty
24th November 2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I know that bios is 100% working. I thought i told you i was sending it? Anyway tis there for your problem solving. I upgraded to a dual bios in my board so i had no use for that one anymore.

MadMikeAU
24th November 2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I know that bios is 100% working. I thought i told you i was sending it? Anyway tis there for your problem solving. I upgraded to a dual bios in my board so i had no use for that one anymore.

i have been looking at the bioses...and I gotta say the J,U and T bioses are incredibly close to each other (like 4 bytes difference). I believe that I could possibly make a universal bios.

MadMikeAU
24th November 2006, 08:16 PM
SEGA ST-V = PWNED

I bought a bunch of jumper shunts from DSE today...I just connected up A7-A27 to B7-B27 respectively and got jack. Remembering the video card scan I had, I jumpered A1-A5 to B1-B5 respectively and it booted up !!!

Thanks to all your help. This little gem of info will go on my site for all !!!

BTW, Berty, nice touch leaving the volume cracked up to a million decibels. I almost shit my pants when it booted

Berty
24th November 2006, 08:27 PM
Awesome work mate!

Arcade King
24th November 2006, 08:47 PM
Nice work Mike. Should make a post in tech.

MadMikeAU
28th November 2006, 03:39 PM
BUGGER

My first ST-V cart arrived today (Die Hard Arcade). Gotta just say that jammaboards.com is incredibly fast with their shipping!!!

Anyways, I plug it in and got the same old 'Cartridge error' bullshit. I clean the edge of the cart and get 'Die hard arcade', the patents, 'wait a moment', and then a blank screen. The video sync is there @ 15KHz. No sound, no picture.

I ran the memory tests, for both main board and cart and they come up OK. I cant run the cart's own test menu, but.

Maybe this is a CN5 issue :unsure gibyman, please confirm the connections on the dongle, especially for A1-A6. Maybe I will play around with those in the meanwhile. I got those off the video card. So maybe they turn off main board video/sound in favor of a video boad i dont have :lol But why would it display the BIOS stuff and not that of the cart (unless the cart is checking this).

I hope its not a custom chip issue :(

GIBO
28th November 2006, 07:41 PM
BUGGER

My first ST-V cart arrived today (Die Hard Arcade). Gotta just say that jammaboards.com is incredibly fast with their shipping!!!

Anyways, I plug it in and got the same old 'Cartridge error' bullshit. I clean the edge of the cart and get 'Die hard arcade', the patents, 'wait a moment', and then a blank screen. The video sync is there @ 15KHz. No sound, no picture.

I ran the memory tests, for both main board and cart and they come up OK. I cant run the cart's own test menu, but.

Maybe this is a CN5 issue :unsure gibyman, please confirm the connections on the dongle, especially for A1-A6. Maybe I will play around with those in the meanwhile. I got those off the video card. So maybe they turn off main board video/sound in favor of a video boad i dont have :lol But why would it display the BIOS stuff and not that of the cart (unless the cart is checking this).

I hope its not a custom chip issue :(

try a1 to b1 ,a2 to b2 ,a3 to b3, a4 to b4, a5 to b5 ,a6 b6 not connected.Where is The video jumpers you are talking about so I can confirm them to

MadMikeAU
28th November 2006, 11:27 PM
try a1 to b1 ,a2 to b2 ,a3 to b3, a4 to b4, a5 to b5 ,a6 b6 not connected.Where is The video jumpers you are talking about so I can confirm them to

OK. Thats what I am using. hmmm....I know that row C is all ground and +5V.

:unsure :unsure :unsure

GIBO
28th November 2006, 11:50 PM
Cant the cart. be region locked

MadMikeAU
29th November 2006, 12:20 AM
World cart on US BIOS.

I got into the factory test menu on the bios (hold down TEST while booting).

All looks good except the dual-cpu test. It locks up when testing the slave cpu

GIBO
29th November 2006, 12:30 AM
World cart on US BIOS.

I got into the factory test menu on the bios (hold down TEST while booting).

All looks good except the dual-cpu test. It locks up when testing the slave cpu

Sega saturn use the same processor SH2

GIBO
29th November 2006, 01:05 AM
try removing the battery from the board to reset bios ,start up game with out battery in

MadMikeAU
29th November 2006, 01:44 AM
try removing the battery from the board to reset bios ,start up game with out battery in

Tried that = same result.

Try this on yours...go to the factory test mode (hold down test as you switch on) then select DUAL-CPU CHECK. It should say SLAVE-CPU WORKS GOOD. Mine says SLAVE-CPU WORKS and then hangs.