PDA

View Full Version : Its so hard to say goodbye!

sleazius
4th May 2010, 01:56 AM
- You've hit your self imposed limit.
- You've hit your wife's limit.
- You've hit the limit of the amount of money you want tied up in machines.
- You've run out of space.

That next great pin becomes available. Shit, which one do I get rid of?

How do you decide when you're happy with the current collection to part with one? Which one do you pick? Do you find it hard - or easy? Is there always a pin in your collection that you like less than the rest? Discuss :)

pinmike
4th May 2010, 04:59 AM
I'm at that place at the moment :cry It's going to be hard to pick :o

kayakkingoz
4th May 2010, 08:28 AM
I,m there too. Dont want to sell anything that I currently have . But always looking for another. Have only ever sold 3(solar ride, Hulk, close encounters 3rd kind)

hamish_nz
4th May 2010, 08:37 AM
I am the same one in one out

TZ going :cry

fridgejam
4th May 2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, it is extremely hard thing to do.

I have renovations coming up and soon need to cut the collection down from 5 to 2 permanently. Not quite sure how I will bring myself to actually do it?

Fish Tales
4th May 2010, 09:29 AM
Yes, it is extremely hard thing to do.

I have renovations coming up and soon need to cut the collection down from 5 to 2 permanently. Not quite sure how I will bring myself to actually do it?

SP stays, just go eeny meeny mynie moe with the rest :cool:

Myny
4th May 2010, 09:35 AM
SP stays, just go eeny meeny mynie moe with the rest :cool:
Like you'd get rid of Fish Tales!

Fish Tales
4th May 2010, 10:10 AM
Like you'd get rid of Fish Tales!

yep I would for the right $$$ (then buy another straight away lol)

furballx
4th May 2010, 01:26 PM
Mrs Furbs and I have been having the same discussion in preparation for reaching our limit. Basic problem is that we can fit 4 or 5 pins in the house and any more will need to go in the garage (garage not really suited to a games area though :()

Have already talked about what we are looking for come new pin day (will be a while after getting MM), as well as whether or not the three titles we have should stay or go. At this point in time all three of our pins are keepers (Judge Dredd, Getaway and Medieval Madness)

I keep Mrs Furbs playing other machines as much as possible to make sure that we are sure that the titles we are chasing are the ones we will like once they hit the Furball household. Research, research, research. Luckily the number of AAers having meets makes the choosing of new pin titles a bit easier, and much more enjoyable.

The look on Mrs Furbs face when I asked if we should get rid of any of the current titles was enough to convince me that they should stay :)
Dave

bretty
4th May 2010, 01:26 PM
I think you should get rid of SS if you have one.Crap game.
sell it to me:p

Fish Tales
4th May 2010, 01:31 PM
I think AA could use a Pin Swap List. Guys list titles they own, and those they would consider swapping for. Just need sum1 to keep it updated, I wouldnt mind doing that.

Sorta like the owners list, but with a swap-for twist.

Mango
4th May 2010, 01:59 PM
I think AA could use a Pin Swap List. Guys list titles they own, and those they would consider swapping for. Just need sum1 to keep it updated, I wouldnt mind doing that.

Sorta like the owners list, but with a swap-for twist.

I think we should have a pinball lucky dip!

you have a $1k, $2k, $3k, $4k box and we all chuck a pin in the box and pull out a new one.

Completely random and we do it every 6 - 12 months :)

GEE
4th May 2010, 02:50 PM
I am two pins over the space allocation. One of them is an easy decision (an old Em that I don't play any more). But the other...

I'm going to sell the pin I feel like I've "beaten" and as a result don't play all that much anymore.

(It'll either be a Starship Troopers or a Medieval Madness. I'll re-rubber and clean it all up before I put it on sale though. That'll be my next after hours project.)

sleazius
4th May 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm at 5 pins, with a self imposed limit of 8 (the room I've got will fit 8) - there are at least 5 pins i've got my eye on, and none I want to move on :unsure

Audioenslaved
5th May 2010, 01:00 AM
these things are like children but cost a lot less :D Ive had my big hurt for three years now and he is a keeper. I've just gotten the flints and she is a keepr but Im not so sure on the Demolition man yet but Id find it hard sell it just because it gives me something else to play and its like choosing a favourite child. There are some you like more but you wouldn't sell them....

bretty
5th May 2010, 09:16 AM
I have a couple of machines that I really want and am close to getting but no space left.Im prob gonna have to get rid of Demo Man also.Bloody thing is really starting to grow on me though.And maybe even my Gorgar which I havent even finished restoring:cry

pinballer3
5th May 2010, 04:22 PM
My limit was going to be 5, then when I hit 5 I was just going to take it one pin at a time as I had the room and made a decision when then next became available. Then I hit 10 and thought that's it and started selling one off here and there. My limit now is 21, which is my current total. I think I have pinball obesity - probably would need to sell them all if I was to kick the habit:unsure

Fish Tales
5th May 2010, 04:50 PM
I found 4 was a good number, never really got bored with any of them. 3 seems ok, but I know 2 isnt enough!

sleazius
5th May 2010, 05:02 PM
I found 4 was a good number, never really got bored with any of them. 3 seems ok, but I know 2 isnt enough!

It seems if you've got the pin bug, you can never really have enough pins :)

Fish Tales
5th May 2010, 05:29 PM
If I had the money there are about 8 more titles I would buy. So for me 11 would be a happy number.

illawarra_steelers
5th May 2010, 06:54 PM
Have always thought it as a no issue letting a game go.

Have just thought 'will I miss that game in one week, one month etc' - if the answer is no, let it go.

Also if a stronger/better game is coming into the lineup it's easy to let the 'weakest link' go - goodbye!

Been waiting for Rollerball to chime in here ;)

@lien_Zed
5th May 2010, 06:55 PM
-
How do you decide when you're happy with the current collection to part with one? Which one do you pick? Do you find it hard - or easy? Is there always a pin in your collection that you like less than the rest? Discuss :)

easy

put the red light out the front at night and start earning some tax free money my friend:lol:lol:lol

illawarra_steelers
5th May 2010, 07:19 PM
I am two pins over the space allocation. One of them is an easy decision (an old Em that I don't play any more).

Do you mind if I ask what the EM is?

fte
5th May 2010, 07:28 PM
I always look at the loss of one game as being the opportunity to gain another.

I've had about 50 pinballs, but keep my collection between 8-9 titles.

I've let some nice titles go, but have had the enjoyment of knowing I've owned them and learned how to play them. That way I've enjoyed many more games then if I just hoarded them.:)

Let the one go that you play the least, or you think that provides the least fun or challenge.

screwloose
5th May 2010, 07:56 PM
I have a solution. Move out to the country to a place, say like Taree, then you can afford to have a big house with a big, BIG yard & a big shed & you can have lots & lots of pins.

Only downside is you dont get too many visitors coming to play them with you & if you want to sell one then its like your located on the moon when it comes to getting people to come & look at it & trucking companies want to charge you like your on Mars to deliver the new one.

sleazius
5th May 2010, 08:31 PM
I have a solution. Move out to the country to a place, say like Taree, then you can afford to have a big house with a big, BIG yard & a big shed & you can have lots & lots of pins.

Only downside is you dont get too many visitors coming to play them with you & if you want to sell one then its like your located on the moon when it comes to getting people to come & look at it & trucking companies want to charge you like your on Mars to deliver the new one.

Already done that!

In the sticks, massive shed, trying not to get too carried away :)

Fish Tales
5th May 2010, 09:41 PM
Only downside is you dont get too many visitors coming to play them with you

Invite us Wes, we will come :cool:

screwloose
5th May 2010, 09:59 PM
Invite us Wes, we will come :cool:
I have Greg. Like I said "anytime your up this way"

Seriously though If I could get "life" to slow down a bit.....
These 6 day working weeks are getting to me. I mean how am I ever gonna wear out these pins at this rate!!

Fish Tales
5th May 2010, 10:07 PM
I have Greg. Like I said "anytime your up this way"

Seriously though If I could get "life" to slow down a bit.....
These 6 day working weeks are getting to me. I mean how am I ever gonna wear out these pins at this rate!!

Retirement long way off?

screwloose
6th May 2010, 07:18 AM
Working on 4 years.

But then I love what I do, I just need to do it 3 days a week instead of 6.

GEE
6th May 2010, 01:13 PM
Do you mind if I ask what the EM is?

Sure, it's Williams' Travel Time.