PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a pin?

angarles
3rd May 2010, 07:05 PM
Newbie question: What should I look out for when looking at a reconditioned machine in person?

I am still coming to terms with all the abbreviations, but generally, apart from looking at the condition of the exterior, and the playfield, what should I check out?

Are there certain places to buy where anyone can be assured of getting a pin with all the correct parts in good condition?

I am just finding it a little daunting considering that there are NIB pins (no problems there), "near new" pins and/or reconditioned from businesses with websites, etc. etc. How can you tell if a pin is ex-arcade for example?

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to learn as much as I can before I part with my hard-earned!

Fish Tales
3rd May 2010, 07:30 PM
Newbie question: What should I look out for when looking at a reconditioned machine in person?

I am still coming to terms with all the abbreviations, but generally, apart from looking at the condition of the exterior, and the playfield, what should I check out?

Are there certain places to buy where anyone can be assured of getting a pin with all the correct parts in good condition?

I am just finding it a little daunting considering that there are NIB pins (no problems there), "near new" pins and/or reconditioned from businesses with websites, etc. etc. How can you tell if a pin is ex-arcade for example?

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to learn as much as I can before I part with my hard-earned!

Most machines are ex-arcade, home use only is pretty rare (discounting later sterns). If you need your machine to be reconditioned to perfection then its tuff (IMO) to find a dealer who has done the particular title you want, to the standard you want (like new). In my opinion the best quality machines are reco'd by collectors for collectors.

lukex
3rd May 2010, 07:34 PM
Most pre 2000 machines are ex-arcade, home use only is pretty rare. If you need your machine to be reconditioned to perfection then its tuff (IMO) to find a dealer who has done the particular title you want, to the standard you want (like new). In my opinion the best quality machines are reco'd by collectors for collectors.

+1

The "safest" machines are from the guys on this forum (including commercial sellers who contribute regularly). They generally provide honest descriptions and have their reputations at stake when selling.

angarles
3rd May 2010, 07:36 PM
OK well to clarify I am looking at a Stern that should be no more than 3 years old.

Replay
3rd May 2010, 07:57 PM
may have just the thing..

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=32535

Homepin
3rd May 2010, 07:58 PM
OK well to clarify I am looking at a Stern that should be no more than 3 years old.

still very likely to have been used commercially (not that there's anything wrong with that :lol)

Myny
3rd May 2010, 07:58 PM
Have you seen the Simpsons Pinball Party that's up for sale in the sale forum? $5500 from memory, home use only, perfect nick by the looks of it.

Edit: Seller beat me to it :D

ANT68
3rd May 2010, 07:59 PM

Have you found a Stern or are you looking for a Stern ?
If it's 3yo shouldn't be too bad , what's it's title ? , and we could give some pointers for that particular pin .
What the other guys said is good advice ,also if you buy from an anal collector in most circumstance you would bebuying a top unit .
Put a post to the guys they may have what your looking for .
Post some close up photos and we'll check them out for you .

Cheers Tony

angarles
3rd May 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I am looking for a Spiderman (sorry Replay Rob!) but a NIB is out of my price range.

rod71
3rd May 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I am looking for a Spiderman (sorry Replay Rob!) but a NIB is out of my price range.

His Simpsons isn't NIB. Doubt you'd get a Spidy for under $5k unless it was hammered.

Myny
3rd May 2010, 09:38 PM
I think you need to just set out what you want a little clearer - so you're looking for a Spiderman, what condition do you want it in, and what is your budget (which will allow us to tell you what you can expect for a machine in your price range).

As Rod said, doubt you'd get a Spiderman for under $5000 because it's still a quite new and wanted game.

ANT68
3rd May 2010, 09:39 PM

How much do they want for it ?
It's a great game , you won't be disappointed