PDA

View Full Version : Ever decided you would never do business with a specific dealer again?

sleazius
25th April 2010, 12:18 AM
No names please, but I'm wondering if you've ever had an experience with a dealer that made you decide never to deal with them again.

Seems every time I meet someone involved in pinball, they always have a story about someone they would never deal with again (only other hobby I've seen this in is cars).

Feel free to post your experience, but remember - no names.

NMD
25th April 2010, 12:23 AM
I have, and that's how i ended up here. Nuff said.

Replay
25th April 2010, 12:30 AM
Haven't had any major issues with anyone i have dealt with
commercial or private..so good so far i guess

lukex
25th April 2010, 12:59 AM
It is a weird hobby...... when we feel someone has not acted in an "honest " manner we tend to get a bit upset.

Business is generally a process of getting someone to give you something more valuable (money) for another thing that is less valuable (their product or service). That's how they create a profit and stay in business!!!

We (in the hobby) treat it more like a family.

Commercial traders are in a business,

So misunderstanding are bound to occur!

My 2c

Luke

Pop Bumper Pete
25th April 2010, 05:09 AM
No, but I will keep my eye WIDE open on any future dealings

shootar75
25th April 2010, 05:31 AM
nope. If they have something I want, I'll buy it.

Fish Tales
25th April 2010, 06:59 AM
Nope, but its all a matter of getting to know the beast.

Beast
25th April 2010, 07:45 AM
Nope, but its all a matter of getting to know the beast.

Leave me out of it EB :D

And have had no issues with any dealers....but have heard plenty of people that have, some with good reason, some that I wouldn't have held a grudge over.

illawarra_steelers
25th April 2010, 07:48 AM
Sadly, yes - not one but 2 of them :(

LOTR4U
25th April 2010, 08:01 AM
More then 1 :(, when people are involved in deception I will always take exception to it regardless of who it is.

humpalot
25th April 2010, 08:11 AM
Yes a popular O/S seller stuffed up my order twice and wouldn't send through the correct product after I complained both times. I've learned to go without and haven't used this seller again.

ANT68
25th April 2010, 08:51 AM
It is a weird hobby...... when we feel someone has not acted in an "honest " manner we tend to get a bit upset.

Business is generally a process of getting someone to give you something more valuable (money) for another thing that is less valuable (their product or service). That's how they create a profit and stay in business!!!

We (in the hobby) treat it more like a family.

Commercial traders are in a business,

So misunderstanding are bound to occur!

My 2c

Luke

+1 what Luke said .
Try buying NIB,HUO and / or from reputable collectors .

knight76
25th April 2010, 09:04 AM
Yes, I have had a bad experience with a dealer and will not buy through them again. In short things were stated that turned out to be lies, condition, damage etc.

I think most would have had some sort of negative experience with a dealer at some stage.

Mr Tilt
25th April 2010, 09:22 AM
Who that moran in Huntingdale?

furballx
25th April 2010, 09:46 AM
I have dealers that I prefer to deal with. I have some that I would rather not deal with due to some things that I have seen said and done. To their credit, I have NEVER been ripped off in a deal buying stuff from any commercial dealer anywhere in the world. I have had private sellers mis-represent stuff, but that is a different story.

It seems to me that the majority of problems with commercial sellers on the whole relate to complete machine sales rether than parts sales. Unfortunately it can take a bad buy for someone to really come to grips with the idea that they need a LOT of high res photos to accurately judge the condition of a machine before buying. Even then a photo may hide or accentuate a problem depending on light, angle etc. Regardless of the seller I would be unlikely to buy a machine without either seeing it i person, or at the very least getting a critical description from another member whos opinion I trust.
Dave

elvis
25th April 2010, 10:04 AM
More than anything, threads like these keep me away from pinball.

It's no secret that AA has been focussed more and more on pinball over the last year or so, to the point where I'd say pin threads easily out number everything else.

BUT, every thread is full of bitching. Whether it's bitching about other pinball communities, sellers, the pinball community as a whole or anything else. It just seems like such a negative community from out side.

I've wanted a pin for ages. Originally it was the higher price of entry and maintenance that kept me away. But as I watch from a distance at more and more threads like these appearing every day, I have to say it's the pinball community itself that's keeping me away right now.

I'm probably going way off topic here. But I've got to say it gets pretty depressing reading all of these very negative pinball threads. It really sounds like a hobby and a community I want to stay well away from thanks to all the horror stories and internal bitchiness.

I can't wait to see the pinball forums full of threads like "How awesome is thus community?" and "I love pinball sellers!".

And people wonder why pinball is fading. If the community doesn't clean itself up, it'll disappear forever pretty soon.

furballx
25th April 2010, 10:20 AM

It's no secret that AA has been focussed more and more on pinball over the last year or so, to the point where I'd say pin threads easily out number everything else.

BUT, every thread is full of bitching. Whether it's bitching about other pinball communities, sellers, the pinball community as a whole or anything else. It just seems like such a negative community from out side.

I've wanted a pin for ages. Originally it was the higher price of entry and maintenance that kept me away. But as I watch from a distance at more and more threads like these appearing every day, I have to say it's the pinball community itself that's keeping me away right now.

I'm probably going way off topic here. But I've got to say it gets pretty depressing reading all of these very negative pinball threads. It really sounds like a hobby and a community I want to stay well away from thanks to all the horror stories and internal bitchiness.

I can't wait to see the pinball forums full of threads like "How awesome is thus community?" and "I love pinball sellers!".

And people wonder why pinball is fading. If the community doesn't clean itself up, it'll disappear forever pretty soon.

People can play the political games if they want Elvis (I do not think that was the intention of the thread), but a better approach is to attend a few pin meets and get talking with other collectors/owners. I spent nearly half an hour at Rollerballs last night talking with Mick and Derrek about various repairs that they had done on machines over the years and I learnt heaps. Not once in that time was pin-politics mentioned. My advise to anyone looking to get a pin would be to avoid the political side of the hobby. On the whole prople are in it for fun, not scoring points for one side or the other.

Check out this thread, it might be what you are looking for.....:)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=28177

It does not get any better than the help I received last November.
Hook in mate, you will not look back. Remember, arcade machines get lonely without a pin to talk to (and vice-versa)

Dave (who says Elvis should buy a pin...they are fun:))

Fish Tales
25th April 2010, 10:30 AM

Well isnt wasnt a negative thread until your post. Plenty of threads here to slap each other on the back for their pinball restos or acquisitions. Pinball is growing on AA, and AA is recovering from dark times really well. Yes old hurts dont go away, but no way are they going to stop this forum from being a great place.

Dont let this thread upset you, I believe the OP posted an innocent post not aimed at outing or bitching. If its your time to move-on then thats cool, or maybe you can just look at things differently and stay?

Also how many video guys/newbies come here just to build a mame cab, and end-up staying to get into dedicated cabs or pinballs? Quite a few :cool:

Fair Dinkum Dan
25th April 2010, 10:40 AM
Unfortunately, that is part of living in a real world, Dan. No matter where you spend your money, be it on electronic gadgets or appliances or taking your car for service, for example, some people will ultimately have a bad experience. It is only natural for people to share their experiences with others. In some ways as a warning to others. Although, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else will have the same experience.

Nothing wrong with this topic and almost all who have chimed in have kept within the spirit of this thread. They have kept it objective and lighthearted. One exception has been Mr Tilt (there's always one :rolleyes).

Cheers,

Dan

elvis
25th April 2010, 10:58 AM
Well isnt wasnt a negative thread until your post.
To be honest my post probably didn't belong in this particular thread. It was just a braindump of feelings I've had about various threads with reoccurring themes over the last year or so having read countless threads that were either started in a negative mindset, or ultimately degenerated into one.

And I do think the title of the thread is quite negative (just look at it). Instead of concentrating on positive things, from the outset it's about bad experiences within the community. The OP tries very hard to keep it nice (stating quite clearly that nobody will be named), but I feel it's inevitable that there will be names thrown around sooner or later and it will get messy.

Perhaps it's just signal to noise ratio. I too deal with communities that are massively negative from a third party point of view, but still rewarding to be within (anything open source is a good example). So I know how that can be when you're inside it and enjoying it, and someone from outside looks at it from a distance with only a surface-level view of it all.

One day I'll get a pin, and join the madness. For now I'll go back to silently reading these threads and observing the community from afar with great trepidation.

Sorry for the intrusion. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

retrogamer
25th April 2010, 10:59 AM
I am not 'pinball' involved ...so to speak, but i have a list of many businesses (inc one arcade related) that i no longer deal with....from restaurants to machinists! Just my personal pet hate is people that make their money by NOT being able to do their jobs, or live up to their promises as a business service or product wise.....especially when im paying!
Its a sad state that customer service is in these days, and its only that way because most people are too god damned piss weak to speak their minds when they feel they are being ripped off! Bargain, barter, haggle! Above all get what you pay for and if not then stick it to em or at least never do business with them again!

Grrr....really is my pet hate! People making money by doing nothing....bit like most politicians
:D

GEE
25th April 2010, 11:09 AM
There are two dealers I won't deal with due to their previously misleading me and not fulfilling their side of a deal.

Fish Tales
25th April 2010, 11:21 AM
To be honest my post probably didn't belong in this particular thread. It was just a braindump of feelings I've had about various threads with reoccurring themes over the last year or so having read countless threads that were either started in a negative mindset, or ultimately degenerated into one.

And I do think the title of the thread is quite negative (just look at it).

Maybe the original poster can expand upon his reason for starting this thread, but I dont think he wanted to fan flames. By all means have a braindump, its good to let it out.
:cool:

brado
25th April 2010, 11:42 AM

Cause pinball is no.1.;)

And, what's wrong with this thread?

I find ANY talk about pinball negative or positive to be good and is always a good read because i'm obsessed with the shit.

In answer to to question, getting my first pin from a dealer sucked and i'll never go back. The machine is great, it's in good nick, it still works fine after 7 months of use, I feel the product was worth what i paid for it. It just took 6 bloody months to get delivered after payment, and that was after i haggled/pushed the guy via phone and email. I put some trust in someone and I got used, he should have paid me for the time/effort/phone bills it took to get the machine to my house. Man that was a long wait.

Grab yourself a pin Elvis. I may be selling one in a month or two. I can guarantee a good product with prompt service and a great price.;)

Fair Dinkum Dan
25th April 2010, 12:13 PM
Cause pinball is no.1.;)

Amen, to that brother. :023:

Grab yourself a pin Elvis. I may be selling one in a month or two. I can guarantee a good product with prompt service and a great price.;)

And so can most dealers and sellers.

Most people are sincere and polite when dealing with one another. Especially, when there is money potentially changing hands. Things can break down quickly if a disagreement starts to occur and both parties cannot come to a compromise.

Personally, I have always been with the belief: "never burn your bridges". You don't know when you may need something from them or their assistance in the future.

We all make mistakes through life or have a bad experience when dealing with someone. Some, never get over it and carry old wounds and grudges. These can usually have a detrimental affect on how we then interact with others. Normally, not in a very positive way.

It can be said that they don't deserve a second chance, but who is the bigger person if you learn how to repair the damage once caused? Regardless of who was at fault.

Cheers,

Dan

brado
25th April 2010, 12:33 PM
Apart from that one long 6 month wait, I can say I'm having an absolute blast being involve with the pin community.

BrissyGuy
25th April 2010, 04:03 PM
No names please, but I'm wondering if you've ever had an experience with a dealer that made you decide never to deal with them again.

Sure have.

Thankfully the last two dealers, one local, one interstate, that i've dealt with have been great.

07gabster
25th April 2010, 07:35 PM
elvis; probably a good idea if you don't buy a pin, all we do is bitch .
you negative and retarded comments , have been noted..............

knight76
25th April 2010, 08:05 PM
Elvis I think the best advice is get along to a meet and see more of what the pinball community is like rather than just the sampling you see here. You will find a very different side of the pinball community that way. Not that here is an overly negative area to be, just look at all the advice and co-operation on here, the assistance freely given etc.

The world must have balance, you can't have positive without some negative.

narf_
25th April 2010, 08:20 PM
i think everyone is entitled to there views

bwodie
25th April 2010, 08:26 PM
good riddence elvis, more pins for me ;)

Fair Dinkum Dan
25th April 2010, 08:42 PM
Dan (Elvis), even though he admitted he may not have posted his comment in the right thread, he is entitled to his view. Just like the rest of you. Although, some of the comments aimed at him now, not only give credence to his statement, it actually puts you in the same position posting such statements.

Please stay on topic.

Cheers,

Dan

Fish Tales
25th April 2010, 08:48 PM
Pinball is fun.

elvis
25th April 2010, 09:55 PM
Other than this unintelligible rubbish...

elvis; probably a good idea if you don't buy a pin, all we do is bitch .
you negative and retarded comments , have been noted..............

All the other comments have been quite reassuring and positive (and I know Bwodie is only taking the Mickey :)).

I'm sorry I barged in on the thread, as it was kind of off topic. Please ignore me and continue on with the real topic. I'll (maybe) start another thread somewhere else so as not to derail this one any further.

bwodie
25th April 2010, 10:03 PM
;) lol

wamprat
25th April 2010, 10:06 PM
Pinball is fun.

amen to that!
I just got my first, planning on my 2nd for later in the year and dreaming of my 3rd:)

@lien_Zed
25th April 2010, 10:18 PM
digital pinballs will one day rule the world .... you heard it here first...:055::043:

narf_
25th April 2010, 10:22 PM
you forgot to say ubuntu in the same sentence lol

Homepin
25th April 2010, 10:25 PM

hahahaha - funny!

gottman
25th April 2010, 10:41 PM
Other than this unintelligible rubbish...

All the other comments have been quite reassuring and positive (and I know Bwodie is only taking the Mickey :)).

I'm sorry I barged in on the thread, as it was kind of off topic. Please ignore me and continue on with the real topic. I'll (maybe) start another thread somewhere else so as not to derail this one any further.

Mate (Elvis) in all reality you also need negative posts as much as you need the positive ones....

Let me just tell you that when i started collecting pins i never had the 'heads up' as these new collectors starting out today...

I can also almost assure you that 90% of the people who started collecting pins pre 2000 has been ripped off one way or another by a dealer and or collector...

It was these forums who made everyone aware of the dodgy people out there and made them aware of what to look for and what not to look for.

(Starting to sound like Fair Dinkum Dan now) :D :023: ......

but i have meet so many great people in the pinball community who have genuinely help me out and again these forums have flushed out the shit heads !

Keep it the way it is i say, we all need help from time to time don't we ?

wamprat
25th April 2010, 10:48 PM
I am constantly amazed by the amount of info that is available here.
Fantastic resource for sourcing and pricing pins as well as repairs etc and not forgetting the meets which I am still to enjoy. I am now just starting to scratch the surface on repairs and without this place I would be lost in the dark.
Thanks guys!

07gabster
25th April 2010, 11:08 PM
according to elvis all we do is bitch.

sleazius
26th April 2010, 01:34 AM
Whoa!

Sorry if I offended anyone with this thread - wasn't the intention, and I certainly wasn't trying to incite a flame war or anything like that.

All I was trying to do was stimulate discussion in an adult way about a topic that people seem to sweep under the carpet, or reserve for the one on one conversation. I was also curious if it was common, or just been my luck that I've bumped into people who've had that experience.

I think those of us that have been burnt (myself included) have a fair idea who the dodgy or sometimes dodgy are, but newbies may not. A thread like this can also suggest to first timers to keep their eyes open (without actually bagging anyone out), and that can only be a good thing.

It wasn't intended to be a negative thing, and I think the majority of the posts reflect that feeling.

On a side note - you'll find most of the posts I start are generally to stimulate discussion about aspects of the hobby or about things that are of general interest to the wider community.

Carry on :)

@lien_Zed
26th April 2010, 08:00 AM

u did it for me...thanks mate:lol:lol

Arcade King
26th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Whoa!

Sorry if I offended anyone with this thread - wasn't the intention, and I certainly wasn't trying to incite a flame war or anything like that.

All I was trying to do was stimulate discussion in an adult way about a topic that people seem to sweep under the carpet, or reserve for the one on one conversation. I was also curious if it was common, or just been my luck that I've bumped into people who've had that experience.

I think those of us that have been burnt (myself included) have a fair idea who the dodgy or sometimes dodgy are, but newbies may not. A thread like this can also suggest to first timers to keep their eyes open (without actually bagging anyone out), and that can only be a good thing.

It wasn't intended to be a negative thing, and I think the majority of the posts reflect that feeling.

On a side note - you'll find most of the posts I start are generally to stimulate discussion about aspects of the hobby or about things that are of general interest to the wider community.

Carry on :)

The only negative thing bout this thread are the posts that try to change the focus of the thread and those which continue to harp on it.
I will comment on one point brought up about the pinball section as being full of negative posts, that's rubbish! I can't stand people who only seem to focus on .01% of negative posts where the rest of the content is usually people asking and getting help, others showing off their collections, restoration threads and the list goes on.

On topic
There's a pair of parts dealers down south i wouldnt have anything to do with again. These unprofessional clowns seem to get a kick out of dictating who can and can't buy parts off them, I've heard increasing stories from people being banned from buying off ebay and accounts disabled in their web stores.

illawarra_steelers
26th April 2010, 08:22 AM
Seems the pinball community is very stable and happy all round.

This very forum has a lot to do with that - it links other collectors with each other. Not only to buy/sell games but to help with parts, tech support and most importantly linking up at meets that are being held all around Australia.

This way we can get around the issues that have been bought up in this thread about to who avoid.

Have made some mighty fine friends over the years through this hobby, nothing like a group of middle aged men drinking beer, playing pins and talking sh*t

acejas
26th April 2010, 11:15 AM
This very forum has a lot to do with that - it links other collectors with each other. Not only to buy/sell games but to help with parts, tech support and most importantly linking up at meets that are being held all around Australia.

Have made some mighty fine friends over the years through this hobby, nothing like a group of middle aged men drinking beer, playing pins and talking sh*t

bloody oath - yeah we all have a bitch now and then (not realating too this thread).

This was touched on briefly in the weekend when I was having a couple of beers with some pinball mates - bloody good mates I might add that will be friends for life. Now thats a statement in itself with how positive this community is.

Anyway, I was saying that when you finally get to go to your first meet (as knight 76 said earlier in the thread) you just know that everyone gets on and has a good time. If you dont, thats cool...theres plenty of other ppl round and sometimes its 2 or more meets before you get the opportunity to have a chat and catch up - its happened to me heaps.

Im no stat analyst and i know the sample size is tiny....if you havent been to one for whatever reason...you really dont get the feel of the community. So when there is a "negative" thread we can agree or disagree but the ones we have met we understand and respect.

A great example is Fair Dinkum Dan and I, I bitch and moan and carry on because I dont agree with some of his things, and yep thats negative...but weve met each other on heaps of occassions and still have a laugh. Thats the difference if you havent done any meet - no matter how small or bug then do it...become part of the brotherhood

Oh yeah tony...you forgot NZ...one of the biggest meets!!

Pop Bumper Pete
26th April 2010, 11:34 AM
My biggest beef with dealers is not being ripped of but the amount of hoops they make the buyer jump through in order to buy their product

****, it is 2010, get with the program guys

That you have to e-mail an order, which they may or may not respond to
That they cannot list all the products they carry
That you have to read RGP to find they have done a limited run of a specific item, if you are 2 days late, you miss out
That you place an order over the internet, but then have to wait until they get back to you with a shipping price

Then you have the issue with blockheaded license holders that will not make parts for anything other than DMD cookie cutter machines

Even Stern could make buying new games a little easier by alerting people on their website of upcoming releases

I know of no other industry that makes it hard for collectors to spend $$

Dirty daz
26th April 2010, 06:18 PM
being in victoria I would not deal with 2 seperate shops in hallam at all. once bitten twice shy!

Homepin
26th April 2010, 06:31 PM
being in victoria I would not deal with 2 seperate shops in hallam at all. once bitten twice shy!

Isn't that where the witches hang out? - maybe it's salem - sounds the same to me....:lol

Redback
5th May 2010, 08:56 PM
My biggest beef with dealers is not being ripped of but the amount of hoops they make the buyer jump through in order to buy their product

****, it is 2010, get with the program guys

PBResource

Red