PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard hack

Brad
31st October 2006, 07:31 AM
A quick question just for re-assurance.

I'm in the final stages of building a jukebox. I'm using a keyboard hack for control interfacing. My problem is that my soldering skills are very sub-par =( I've managed to hook the thing up but due to my soldering effort I believe I have more than likely crossed some of the keys on the circuit. I tested all the inputs and on some keys I get multiple characters. However I have completed the matrix and have a total of 32 unique working inputs. This is more than enough for my purposes.

Does anyone see any problem with using this? I have no issues in Windows so is it safe to use this hack until I get around to doing another correct one.

Cheers for any input.

Brad

Virgil Tracy
31st October 2006, 07:38 AM
My first mame cab is running a keyboard hack and has been that way for at 2 years with no issues.

I cant see why you will have any issues.

RetroGame
31st October 2006, 07:57 AM
Go for it! Keyboard hacks are perfect for jukeboxes as you don't have to warry about ghosting/masking issues, plus a hell of a lot cheaper!

Brad
31st October 2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the assurance guys. My main concern is the current hack I did has some crossed lines. No phantom keypressing is occurring and I have mapped all the inputs.

I have 32 verified good inputs and about 30 bad ones. My only concern is that the bad ones may cause possible issues elsewhere.

cheers,

Brad

@lien_Zed
31st October 2006, 09:44 AM
Brad,
there is some alternatives.
I made a post the other day
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=3131&highlight=surf

this may interest you.

other then that, maybe a ipac from ozstick or a keywiz from australian arcade gaming

Brad
31st October 2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the links. I actually read that thread the other day. The reason I'm using a keyboard hack is that I'm interfacing to a matrixed Jukebox numbered keypanel.

Cheers,

brad

@lien_Zed
31st October 2006, 01:00 PM
The reason I'm using a keyboard hack is that I'm interfacing to a matrixed Jukebox numbered keypanel.

Well, if it is the Matrix, you may need a *NEO* board or even a *Morpheous* board or even a Nebakanezer board :) ;) :lol :lol

Brad
31st October 2006, 03:57 PM
oh my lord :rolleyes LOL!

Brad

@lien_Zed
31st October 2006, 08:10 PM
ok, maybe the Neo or Morpheous board was a bit over the top...

this maybe what you are looking for

http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/products/ke24.html

Use the KE24 to interface your switches or keypads to your PC keyboard input, or to RS-232. Any of the 24 I/O pins on the interface header may be configured as a Row or Column in scanning a matrix, or as an individual input. Use the RS-232 port to translate serial data into PC compatible keystrokes! Use with PCXT/AT, PS/2, Pentium, and all compatibles.

Product Details

* Full-featured, programmable interface to your PC keyboard input.
* Scan Keypads or Switches up to 12 x 12 Matrix
* Works with or without your own keyboard. Looks like a keyboard to your PC!
* RS-232 Port to accept serial data or send serial data based on inputs.
* Each input can be programmed to emulate any standard key or Macro sequence of up to 16 keystrokes
* Any of the 24 I/O pins may be configured as a Row or Column in a matrix or as an individual input.
* Supplied with a user manual and CD-ROM containing the PC application "KE24CFG" which is used to configure the KE24

buzzbox
31st October 2006, 08:15 PM
I like key board hacks ..nice and cheap !
Well done on getting so many working inputs !!!! man that must have been such an effort !! lol

Brad
1st November 2006, 07:12 AM
Hmm the Hagstom encoder also does matrixed switches. Didn't know that at all. Either way I'll still use my keyboard hack. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have issues due to some crossed circuits. As to having 32 inputs....it's enough for my purposes but when you consider that a keyboard has something like 70 or more 32 is pretty crap LOL! thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Brad