PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Ideas Re: New Computer

Crafty
28th October 2006, 04:18 PM
Hello All

I have been absent for a little while from the forum, because shortly after returning from sunny QLD my old faithful 1.6Ghz P4 spat it..

One slightly larger new harddrive, plus plenty of time putting some stuff back on it and here I am,.

Unfortunately this computer is old and a new one is due.

The quotes around the place seem to be for the new dual core systems..

Now whilst I now a little about computers all ideas advice etc etc would be greatly appreciated...

Thx

stu
28th October 2006, 04:29 PM
What do you want to do with the computer, and what are the quotes/specs you have been given.

Add those things, and then people here should be able to help you out :)

Crafty
28th October 2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks

Basically I will burn lots and lots of stuff, DVD's CD's etc etc..

I will also be doing video editing on it, firstly converting VHS tapes to DVD (only a few). Some mild gaming, nothing cutting edge as I have my son's Xbox or daughters PS2 for that. As for the specs I will add those when they are sent through to me...

The Pinny Parlour
28th October 2006, 07:16 PM
Welcome Back Crafty. :)

t1ckt0ck
28th October 2006, 08:00 PM
Have a look here:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/New_System_Parts_Recommendations

DialogPimp
28th October 2006, 09:55 PM
I just built a new machine for my wife:

Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU (2.13Ghz)
Asus P5B mobo
1GB PC5400 DDR2 RAM
7800GT Video card

Runs really well (after upgrading the BIOS to fix the RAM stability issues).

LMK if you want more details

@lien_Zed
29th October 2006, 10:27 AM
if your going to go intel way i suggest a minimum of a prescott P4 3Ghz and 1 Gig Ram and either a NVidia or ATI PCI Express video card.
300 gig hdd seems to be the sweet spot of the market....
go nuts with monitors, avoid mitsubishi;)

elvis
29th October 2006, 11:35 AM
prescott P4 3Ghz
Eww. Prescott are bloody horrible hot-boxes. Avoid them.

AMD Athlon64 X2 or Intel Core Duo. Don't even bother looking at anything else, as they're all too hot and slow.

The Pinny Parlour
29th October 2006, 12:58 PM

AMD Athlon64 X2 or Intel Core Duo. Don't even bother looking at anything else, as they're all too hot and slow.

My socket a is toast then? :cry

Upgrade next year I will.

elvis
29th October 2006, 01:57 PM
My socket a is toast then? :cry

Upgrade next year I will.
Intel Core Duo is socket 775 LGA, but do be careful as not all boards with that socket support Core Duo. Do your homework first!!!

But you touch on a good point Ian: CPU manufacturers are being very stupid of late and changing sockets every 6 months. That is not very smart at all, as people are doing exactly what you are: holding onto their old hardware and avoiding upgrades. Then everyone wonders why sales are so slow.

I'm still on Socket A with my AthlonXP 2400+ which is heaps for me and my "browse the net and do 2D CAD" Linux box.

My missus sits on an AthlonXP 2600+ overclocked to around 2.2GHz ("3100+" in marketing-speak). Although it's starting to show it's age, particularly now that she's getting photography, and those 80MB RAW camera images she chucks around in photoshop are killing it. If I have some spare cash in the next 6 months, I'll be upgrading her to a Core Duo machine with at least 2GB of RAM.

sneek
29th October 2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah i agree... its stupid atm... its at the point where there is no point of upgrading.

My Duel Xeon 2.8 OCed to 3.2 Rig is perfectly fine for anything ive had to do recently... and its been at least 3 years since i did an upgrade.

Which is wierd for me cause i usually like to upgrade every 2ish of when something cool comes out.

Davefjedi
29th October 2006, 02:32 PM
Try one of these
NAME TRS 80 MODEL I
MANUFACTURER Tandy Radio Shack
TYPE Home Computer
ORIGIN U.S.A.
YEAR 1977
BUILT IN LANGUAGE Basic Level 1 (4k ROM models)
Basic Level II (12k ROM models)
KEYBOARD Full-stroke keyboard, 53 Keys, optional numeric keypad
CPU Zilog Z80
SPEED 1.77 MHz
RAM 4 kb / 16 kb depending on models (up to 48 kb)
VRAM 1 kb
ROM 4 kb (Basic Level 1) or 12kb (Basic Level 2)
TEXT MODES 32 x 16, 64 x 16
GRAPHIC MODES 128 x 48
COLORS monochrome
SOUND None
I/O PORTS Monitor, cassette interface, expansion port

@lien_Zed
29th October 2006, 03:15 PM

thats why i said a "MINIMUM" is the prescott...

its no big deal, a few extra fans on the pc that you remove from blown up power supplies does the trick just nicely.
i have 2 extra fans in my prescott 3 Ghz machines and they run quite nicely and bugger all noise...
you can runs the fans of the mainboard if you have the plugs, if not wire it to the psu.
piece-a-piss

elvis
29th October 2006, 03:24 PM
Doesn't change the fact that the P4 core is the worst thing Intel ever made. I don't buy/recommend them on principal.

Intel's "Core" architecture is a smart move on their behalf. The sacked that retarded Harvard-Business-MBA wanker running Intel and replaced him with a true-blue techy nerd. And the results are as you'd expect: they shafted the old shitty design and popped out a better processor.

Intel had 90% market share in the PIII days. Since P4 core that's slipped to under 50% thanks to the might of the Opteron, and high-end server farms buying them in bulk (we're talking 5,000-10,000 CPUs at a time for some of these big scientific, pre-production viz and movie/fiml folk). With Core Duo they should gain some of that market share back, now that they're not forcing stupid backwards architecture on their customers.

Crafty
30th October 2006, 11:01 AM
It will be dual core machine, as I dont plan on upgrading again anytime soon. (My current one the P4 1.6) has lasted since - Manufacture date On fritzed HD Dec 2000).

Interested in the RAM discussion please there seems to be a bit of variation I was thinking 1 GB. ?Is this enough for your basic home video editing.

As for the Harddrive bigger is better as far as I am concerned although I wont obviously store too much on it (Last HD just failed remember) So I suppose about 250gig to allow space whilst doing the video editing, and of course my MAME Daphne and MP3 collection..

The Pinny Parlour
30th October 2006, 11:59 AM
1gig of RAM is nowhere near enough if you want to future proof yourself a little. Heck if you plan on upgrading to MS Vista, you will need at least 2gig to run vista's Aero theme (which incidently won't turn off during gameplay or the running of any other software) and editing software. MS Vistas greatest threat won't be from Linux or Apple, it will be from WinXP.

I would be looking at 2gig.

WOKA
30th October 2006, 12:04 PM
Core 2 Duo all the way and 1Gb ram, you will need it for video editing..

But look out for the Intel 'Kentsfield' Quad processors later this year / early next year.

Intel are claiming that E6400 Core 2 Duo out performs AMD's current best offering, this CPU comes in at about $360.00 Inc GST

+ MB
+ RAM
+
+
+

listerofsmeg
30th October 2006, 03:32 PM
Please dont buy DELL. They are crap!!!

Smit
30th October 2006, 03:32 PM
1gig of RAM is nowhere near enough if you want to future proof yourself a little. Heck if you plan on upgrading to MS Vista, you will need at least 2gig to run vista's Aero theme (which incidently won't turn off during gameplay or the running of any other software) and editing software. MS Vistas greatest threat won't be from Linux or Apple, it will be from WinXP.

I would be looking at 2gig.

Price difference between 1gig and 2gig of Ram is probabally just over the $100 mark, so definently go for 2 gig... somuch performance increase for so little cash.

Smit

PS: We sell heaps of the core2 duo systems & have no complaints at all... actually the opposite...

elvis
30th October 2006, 05:08 PM
upgrading to MS Vista
PHWARHAHAHAHA!!!

Did you see that? He called Vista an "upgrade" he did! HAHAHAHAHA!

I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out! :lol

The Pinny Parlour
30th October 2006, 05:09 PM
I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out! :lol

To much information.