PDA

View Full Version : how many buttons for basic juke operation?

narf_
31st January 2010, 02:43 PM
guys how many buttons roughly for a basic juke setup these days

im thinking play/stop and directional atm

other commands can be accessed via a wireless keyboard

Mr Pubstuff
31st January 2010, 03:25 PM
if your using a wireless keyboard, wouldnt the program have the ability to map the keys so it all can be done from the k/b?

im using skjuke and i think 0-9, left and right nearly does the basics as it can be setup to not need enter or anything else. im not going to use list or search on it, but may do as i would only need 5 extra buttons i guess (list, search, up, down, select) and maybe one for return for 6 in total?

narf_
31st January 2010, 03:38 PM
cheers mate

just after basic buttons but more trickier things i can access with a keyboard

my countertop plan is comming together nicely

spondy
31st January 2010, 04:42 PM
Off the top of my head I'm thinking:
1. Up
2. Down
3. Select/Queue
4. Back
5. Main Menu/List

I think you'd be better off to pick your front end first and work off that. What controls you'll need is dependent on the interface. Some will be a huge list, others will sort by genre/artist/etc.

I can see now why the touch interfaces are popular.

Brad
1st February 2010, 08:38 AM
I think you'd be better off to pick your front end first and work off that. What controls you'll need is dependent on the interface. Some will be a huge list, others will sort by genre/artist/etc.

I can see now why the touch interfaces are popular.

Yep, can't say until you know if you want album mode or singles mode and then you make a choice of software, then you can look at buttons.

Brad

dmworking247
1st February 2010, 09:19 AM
You can get away with directional buttons which are multi-purpose if you want to use something like Ultrastar (karaoke) aswell, but if its primarily for a jukebox I'd put some small form-factor buttons A-E, 1-6 at least (with DWJukebox you could have one set of 6 buttons that act as both alpha and numeric).

As Brad said you should probably pick and play with the software before you decide the layout.

One more tip though, if you're going for a basic directional+stop+play, you might want at least an esc/clear button to remove the last song choice if it was in error/duplicate/etc. Might also want a pause?

Thats how I ended up with mine:
http://www.got2getalife.com/musicbox/buildshot08_s.jpg