PDA

View Full Version : urgent Help Needed To Get Mobile Broadband Working in Vista

Johno
30th January 2010, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I bought mobile broadband yesterday to use with my laptop running vista yesterday and have jsut got around to installing as I leave for Canberra for 6 weeks tomorrow. Now the device installs fine and the connection program can see the device but when I press connect it comes up with an error and wont connect. I have full singal strength etc and can't work out what is wrong. I rang the providers help deks and they said they can't do anything to help me until Monday which is no use to me as I leave at 9:30 am tomorrow for Canberra.

i installed the device on my desktop running XP and it workedfine and connected to the net so I'm guessing there's something on the laptop causing problems but no idea what.

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated as need to get this sorted out ASAP!

Cheers

Johno

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 12:55 PM
what error do u get?

Johno
30th January 2010, 01:10 PM
it says - "Error 720: a connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the netweork settings for this connection."

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 01:18 PM
interesting. it works on xp machine but not vista

driver issue perhaps?
have u had a look at the providers page and see if they have updated drivers for vista by any chance???

vista 32 or 64 bit?

whos the service provider out of interest?
does the usb modem have a model number on it anywhere?what is it?

have u tried plugging in other usb devices to laptop? do they work?

Johno
30th January 2010, 01:27 PM
it's Adam internet here in SA the modem is a Huawei E169. Other usb devices work fine and when you plug the modem in it installs the drivers etc fine.

Brad
30th January 2010, 01:31 PM
Install and run it using Admin privileges. Vista is a POS and you need to do this a lot apparently.

Brad

Johno
30th January 2010, 01:42 PM
just tried running it as admin and still no go. disabled virus scanner and firewall. still no go. i just can't work out what is wrong. strange that the pc can see it and it has full signal strength etc but just wont connect!

Install and run it using Admin privileges. Vista is a POS and you need to do this a lot apparently.

Brad

prktkljokr
30th January 2010, 02:19 PM
Had the same problem and they told me to download the vista service packs to correct the problem, I then said thats great, but how do I download a service pack when I dont have a internet connection?

Johno
30th January 2010, 02:22 PM
i just zipped to my parents place with my laptop and tried their mobile broadband on it (they use 3) an I get the same error so it must be a setting or something on the laptop not allowing it to work

Had the same problem and they told me to download the vista service packs to correct the problem, I then said thats great, but how do I download a service pack when I dont have a internet connection?

did u manage to fix it?

prktkljokr
30th January 2010, 02:28 PM
No I didnt, I ended up installing XP on the laptop and the dongle worked fine, I did put the dongle into my desktop running Vista and had the same problem, it also needs the service packs?

Johno
30th January 2010, 02:33 PM
ok....how hard is it to install xp over the top of vista then and will i lose all my drivers etc etc...ie what do i have to do?

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 02:46 PM
got any firewalls running? disable them and see how you go

to install windows xp on the laptop, you will lose the lot unless you back it up

dont even bother trying to dual boot a windows machine

if how ever your running ubuntu linux, you can dual boot it and have windows/ubuntu running on same hdd

but to get windows xp/vista to boot of same pc....aint gunna happen

prktkljokr
30th January 2010, 02:50 PM
Im no computer expert, but if you install XP over vista, you will lose all your stuff you have, it will just be like a new computer.

You can copy all your stuff onto a external hard drive and reinstall it once done, my laptop was new at the time and it didnt have anything on it that I needed so loading XP was ok for me

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 02:54 PM
Im no computer expert, but if you install XP over vista, you will lose all your stuff you have, it will just be like a new computer.

100% correct

Johno
30th January 2010, 02:58 PM
yeah i disabled the firewalls and still no go as well as my virus scanner program. i would install xp but scared of losing somethng i need or doing something i cant fix as need this working tonight as leave tomorrow so looks like i'm stuffed!

The Pinny Parlour
30th January 2010, 03:04 PM
I just install this model of USB modem and it worked on a fresh copy on Ubuntu. Works straight out of the box; owner was very happy with her new OS and USB modem/internet.

Doesn't help with Vista however. Remove your internet security program, uninstall the Huawei E169 software and try again.

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 03:05 PM
yeah i disabled the firewalls and still no go as well as my virus scanner program. i would install xp but scared of losing somethng i need or doing something i cant fix as need this working tonight as leave tomorrow so looks like i'm stuffed!

before you give up all hope have you tired any live cds?
theres a windows one and a ubuntu one u can try

windows
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

ubuntu
www.ubuntu.com

but in all honesty, u should have attacked this issue weeks ago rather then leave it for the last minute :(

The Pinny Parlour
30th January 2010, 03:08 PM
You could try this:

(lifted from Whirlpool.net.au) WARNING, I have NOT tried this.

Huawei Mobile Partner displays the error Connection Terminated when connecting
Wednesday, 04 November 2009 17:14 U-D Admin .1.Disconnect the dongle from your computer.
2.Next click Start > Run
3.For Windows XP copy and paste C:\Documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\network\connections\pbk Or
4.For Windows Vista copy and paste C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Netw ork\Connections\Pbk
5.Click OK
6.In the window that opens delete ?Rasphone?
7.Restart your computer
8.Once the computer has restarted reconnect your dongle and try connecting.
If the above procedure doesn?t resolve the error then try the following

1.Click Start > Run
2.Type services.msc
3.In the window that opens find the service ?Remote Access Connection Manager? right click and select Properties.
4.Under the ?General? tab select ?Manual? as the startup type
5.Click ?Start? (this option will be greyed out if its already started)
6.Click OK
7.Try connecting
Note: If the ?Remote Access Connection Manager? service will not start, make sure the three services below have been started. If any are stopped, right click the service and select All Tasks then click Start

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Plug and Play
Telephony

Johno
30th January 2010, 03:18 PM
before you give up all hope have you tired any live cds?
theres a windows one and a ubuntu one u can try

windows
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

ubuntu
www.ubuntu.com

but in all honesty, u should have attacked this issue weeks ago rather then leave it for the last minute :(

i agree with you but i thought and it shouldve just been plug and play!

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 03:30 PM
i agree with you but i thought and it shouldve just been plug and play!

plug and pray ;)

this is what u want man

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic26756.htm

Johno
30th January 2010, 03:34 PM
could it be becuase i plug the modem into the laptop vista is detecting it as a cd drive and giving it a letter or is that normal? if not how can i fix?

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 03:41 PM
could it be becuase i plug the modem into the laptop vista is detecting it as a cd drive and giving it a letter or is that normal? if not how can i fix?

vista is detecting it as drive letter....

this is what happens in ubuntu with some usb modems

ubuntu tries to run the s/w thats in the modem. u need to disable the s/w in the modem to make it work.

man if you were using ubuntu i would tell you to follow this tutorial on how to make it work

this dude talks about the error you get in ubuntu

http://www.matt-barrett.com/2008/11/telstra-pre-paid-wireless-broadband-ubuntu/

not much use to you in vista, but seems odd vista does the same

Johno
30th January 2010, 03:46 PM
i didnt get any vista installation discs with my laptop (even though i bought it new0 so you have to make up backup discs which i did a while ago.....if i make some new backup disks and then try installing xp if that stuffs up then can i use the vista backup discs to reinstall vista and get it running again????

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 03:46 PM
whos the carrier?

would happen to be virgin by an chance would it?

do not install xp on your laptop

im doing some reading now

looks like this is definitely a s/w issue

ok fire up google and start reading

using the info you game me i have got this search phoase

Huawei E169 usb modem vista Error 720: a connection to the remote computer could not be established.

use this or parts of this to search google and get an answer

i need to get out of here soon to go back to work

what brand of laptop is it??? ibm/lenovo????

if so read this

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-XP-and-Vista-discussion/Error-720-Dial-Up-Networking-could-not-negotiate-a-compatible/m-p/15304;jsessionid=F6A0A26F54FC4B889B3D15062429F17E

Brad
30th January 2010, 04:27 PM
It's normal to detect a part as a drive as a lot of these devices store the drivers on the stick and also allow you to use it as small storage.

Brad

Johno
30th January 2010, 05:21 PM
whos the carrier?

would happen to be virgin by an chance would it?

do not install xp on your laptop

im doing some reading now

looks like this is definitely a s/w issue

ok fire up google and start reading

using the info you game me i have got this search phoase

Huawei E169 usb modem vista Error 720: a connection to the remote computer could not be established.

use this or parts of this to search google and get an answer

i need to get out of here soon to go back to work

what brand of laptop is it??? ibm/lenovo????

if so read this

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-XP-and-Vista-discussion/Error-720-Dial-Up-Networking-could-not-negotiate-a-compatible/m-p/15304;jsessionid=F6A0A26F54FC4B889B3D15062429F17E

the isp is Adam and the laptop is an Acer

@lien_Zed
30th January 2010, 07:21 PM
mmmmmmm... buggered if i know i have been hunting and cant find a proper answer apart from the one at the ibm site i mentioned earlier

its definitely a s/w issue

i suggest you ask here

http://forum.huawei.com

this is the forums for the mob who make the modem