PDA

View Full Version : Ultrastar + Singstar mics

Black Tiger
8th December 2009, 09:33 PM
I've got Ultrastar up and running on my jukebox and I borrowed some Singstar USB mics recently to test it out.

I'm having a few problems getting them to work. My PC picks them up and identifies them no problem and I have set them up using the START, CONTROL PANEL, SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES, RECORD TAB and going through the microphone level setup wizard.
You can't actually "hear" your voice in in real time after you have completed the wizard though!?! not a sound!?? when I run Ultrastar and get a song going, you still can't hear your voice? are you actually supposed to hear your own voice?

My voice is getting though ok because the green scoring bar is lighting up, though you can see it's not coming though well - the line is choppy (intermittent) and breaking up as if the level is low or if it's cutting in and out. I've tried raising the dB gain levels in the options but it doesn't seem to affect it - i've tried experimenting with the mic volume levels in windows but that doesn't seem to change it either - it's hard to hear if it's distorting or down too low anyway because I can't actually hear it over the speakers.

Another thing it does is crash after a little while into the song (it crashes right out of Ultrastar) there is obviously come conflicts going on.

My guess is it's something to do with my sound system - I am using a Logitec Z-Cinema set up in my Juke which operates purely via USB - making it completely stand alone from my soundcard - maybe that's where the problem is? it's not compatible with what i'm trying to do because everything is USB?!? maybe that's why it's crashing? I imagine the Z-Cinema is software driven (not hardware) and my CPU can't handle the load it with Ultrastar, recording the mic input, playing the audio and sometimes the video - when you think about it - that's a lot of stuff going on at once for the CPU to do.

This is why I borrowed the mics because I wanted to make sure I could get it working first before I forked out for some. Looks like it's not going to be a goer :(

Davefjedi
9th December 2009, 04:15 AM
the usb sound system shouldnt cause an issue i am also running the ps2 mic`s
I also dont hear the voices (no smart comments guys) but I think this is how it is supposed to be. It is a battle of tones :rolleyes
On that note also I had a mate at work compile me a version that is touch screen compatible as I could not find where to turn on mouse support it does the job. But for some reason it is real picky as to what type of machine it will run on

AdamC
9th December 2009, 04:35 AM
I was only looking at your jukebox thread the other day and was wondering how it was going ... :)
Have you tried it without your speakers being plugged in ? I dont know why it would cause a drama, but at least you can tick that off the list if its still the same.

In the Ultrastar options, the recording device IS the microphone - labeled as USB-blahblahblah ?
Must be, cause you say you are seeing the notes on the screen. <_<
Ive never worried about doing anything in the windows control panel with the mics, tho... so i dont know what those settings look like on my juke.

You are using Ultrastar Deluxe ? What version ?
Are you using any of the skins? I know one skin used to bugger my the videos , but cant remember which one.:unsure

retrogamer
9th December 2009, 04:55 AM
I tend to use USB microphones quite a bit for recording purposes and what not....you say you are not getting any sound out them at all....even outside of 'Ultrastar'? I would say that the problem must lie in either the microphones themselves or in your windows control panel settings.....or does your sound card have a separate control panel? It sound like a setting has been overlooked somewhere.

mxd
9th December 2009, 05:09 AM
ultrastar is not a karoke as such, it does not act let you sing through the speakers, I run another program (can't remember what it was called) that would do a loopback.

I think I mentioned it here or saw it here, if you search for ultrastar yo might find it.

good luck.

Foot
9th December 2009, 06:58 AM
ultrastar is not a karoke as such, it does not act let you sing through the speakers, I run another program (can't remember what it was called) that would do a loopback.

Yep this is right. There is talk that the next version of Ultrastar may have support for voice, but until then you need to run another little app (can't remember it's name) prior to running Ultrastar that lets the mics work

Black Tiger
9th December 2009, 05:04 PM
Have you tried it without your speakers being plugged in ? I dont know why it would cause a drama, but at least you can tick that off the list if its still the same.

True, though it's going to be quite a task to unplug them as it's encapsulated inside the jukebox and hard to get to.

In the Ultrastar options, the recording device IS the microphone - labeled as USB-blahblahblah ?

Yeah, it says USBMicrophoneSerial:XXXXXXX so it's definitely recognising it

You are using Ultrastar Deluxe ? What version ?

Yeah it's deluxe - not sure on what version, i'll have a look later. I downloaded it at the start of this year so it's an early 2009 version.

Are you using any of the skins? I know one skin used to bugger my the videos , but cant remember which one.:unsure

I'm just using the default one

you say you are not getting any sound out them at all....even outside of 'Ultrastar'? I would say that the problem must lie in either the microphones themselves or in your windows control panel settings.....or does your sound card have a separate control panel? It sound like a setting has been overlooked somewhere.

That's right there's no sound from them even outside of Ultrastar - I've tried it on my main computer (that i'm using right now) and it's the same - no sound!?! maybe there is something wrong with the mics themselves.

Every piece of hardware i've got plugged in has it's own control pannel - the Cinema-Z the soundcard (Soundblaster 128 PCI card) and the microphone has it's own volume slider as well.

I run another program (can't remember what it was called) that would do a loopback. I think I mentioned it here or saw it here, if you search for ultrastar yo might find it.

Yes that was you MXD!! :) I found it when I went looking for information on these mics before I actually started this thread. It was called an "audio repeater" I downloaded it from your link - it worked, but the latency was huge - everything had a half a second delay - when I tried to boost up the millisecond slider to lose the latency - the audio really suffered and sounded scratchy and horrible - not the best to be scored on in Ultrastar

Yep this is right. There is talk that the next version of Ultrastar may have support for voice, but until then you need to run another little app (can't remember it's name) prior to running Ultrastar that lets the mics work

Not being able to hear my voice simultaneously doesn't bother me as doubling up vocals of the same tone/pitch can usually sound God awful, whether it's in key or not. I just want to be scored correctly. I am a semi-professional singer and Ultrastar is destroying my ego at the moment saying "POOR" "BAD" "AVERAGE" all the time
LOL

Black Tiger
11th December 2009, 10:09 AM
Ok this weekend i'm going to go into the BIOS and disable the Soundblaster card - it's not actually being used, so if that doesn't fix it, i'm going to have to take the back off and start messing around trying some stuff ;)

Davefjedi
11th December 2009, 12:36 PM
the download for the ultrastar touch screen as stated works on some pc`s not others (its a wip)
http://www.bigupload.com/files/9LH9XKKCFD/UltraStar_touch_screen.rar.html

the exit button is invisable in the top left or right cant rember atm

AdamC
11th December 2009, 03:23 PM
ultrastar is not a karoke as such,

me singing is not karaoke as such :lol

its not even singing :D