PDA

View Full Version : 1955 GOTTLIEB MARATHON RESTORE

ddstoys
4th December 2009, 07:27 PM
Well im gettin close to finishing this restore so ill show you the progress so far.
This machine was an ebay purchase looked stuffed but i couldnt help myself.

Fish Tales
4th December 2009, 07:38 PM
Its a roughy!
How strong are those old coke chairs, havent seen them for years.

ddstoys
4th December 2009, 07:41 PM
The game sat tucked away for a while i was busy working on other projects till one day i decided id make a start. Id alread got the game running befor packing it up awaiting restore.

First i stripped the playfield of all parts ready to remove the mylar was very nervous as under the mylar you could see lots of little hirline cracks and i couldnt tell if it was the paint or the mylar So after a few cans of JW i got stuck into removing it. Only a few little sections lifted but for a 53 year old game cam up ok.

Once the mylar was removed the paint had been stained a yellow color so i tried many methods to get rid of this from ME with eucalyptus to very fine wet rub. Found the wetrub on a block gave the best overall result the other methods were to patchy. You can see the differnce in the photo with half done

Railways
4th December 2009, 07:43 PM
What a nice old game Daniel, It'll look a cracker in the new shed.:) JW??? what is this??

Arcade King
4th December 2009, 08:05 PM
Let me know if you want me to upload the images to a more permanent location for you :)

illawarra_steelers
4th December 2009, 08:46 PM
What a nice old game Daniel, It'll look a cracker in the new shed.:) JW??? what is this??

Johnny Walker.....this is the stuff that keeps young Daniel going.

He was up in Sydney last weekend for a pinball meet (Rollerballs) so I pick him up take him to the bottleshop and out he comes with 12 pre mixed JWs and Coke.

Not only has he restored this game but he spent over $500 just for the timber legs and the lockdown bar that were missing from this game.

He found a set in the US that didn't come cheap - these types of legs were only used on about 10 Gottlieb pins from the mid to late 1950s so they were always going to be tough to find.

On ya Daniel for saving this old girl :)

ddstoys
4th December 2009, 09:03 PM
Johnny Walker.....this is the stuff that keeps young Daniel going.

He was up in Sydney last weekend for a pinball meet (Rollerballs) so I pick him up take him to the bottleshop and out he comes with 12 pre mixed JWs and Coke.

Not only has he restored this game but he spent over $500 just for the timber legs and the lockdown bar that were missing from this game.

He found a set in the US that didn't come cheap - these types of legs were only used on about 10 Gottlieb pins from the mid to late 1950s so they were always going to be tough to find.

On ya Daniel for saving this old girl :)

You forgot to mention the half a bottle i drank at Robs lol

Let me know if you want me to upload the images to a more permanent location for you :)

That would be great what am i doing wrong?????