PDA

View Full Version : Bally Harlem Globetrotters Restoration

STINGRY
1st December 2009, 08:06 PM
Well I might as well start my first post off with a restoration.:o

Just picked up a 1979 Harlem Globetrotters on Tour machine.:)

Backglass 9/10
Playfield 6 or 7/10
Cabinet 5/10
Legs 4/10
Playfield glass 5/10
Electrics 8/10 (two flipper coils and a few lights dud)
Displays 5/10
Pics to follow.

Todo list
1. Restore all funtionality first. Replace two coils, add LED lights and PINSCORE displays.
2. Clean playfield (but it has real issues with mylar and dirt under it)
3. Play for a week or so
4. Tear down cabinet for a full repaint with new stencils ordered from the USA.
5. Powder coat or replace legs

Now my first question.
What colour should the displays be? :unsure
Mine are currently orange plasma displays. The pinscores seem to be white or green LEDS. I need to order them but unsure of the exact colour the white ones are. The website says they are the same as originals but they look white to me on the website. Does anyone have orange ones?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Martyj
1st December 2009, 08:08 PM
I purchased a set of PinScore LED's for my Police Force pin.

Great product and they are orange.

Fish Tales
1st December 2009, 08:12 PM
Looks like the normal orange colored scores to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvaCKWarWzI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvaCKWarWzI
hey everybody lol

Welcome!

STINGRY
1st December 2009, 08:27 PM
Sweet. Looks like I am ordering the standard ones then!

Thanks MartyJ and Phat Santa.

Pete

Arcade King
1st December 2009, 08:29 PM
are you going to put up some pics of your restoration ? :)

STINGRY
1st December 2009, 09:26 PM
are you going to put up some pics of your restoration ? :)

Here you go.

These are the before photos. I have not even cleaned it yet. I will not be starting on it till all the parts arrive. I have run a self test and it all seems to work except the two left flippers. The displays work but are burnt out pretty bad (two almost dead, one going and other two are OK).

This week I need to order the Pinscores, rubber kit, LED lamps and a new pinball.
Unsure about whether to clean the palyfeld or do a resto. The mylar looks ordinairy. I will zoom in on the area in my next post.

Pete

How do I fix this??? (see pic)

It looks like dirt/crap under the mylar. I could remove the mylar in this are only but can I replace it?

Also where do you get the "white plastic nuts" that hold down the plastics? I have about five different kinds (plastic/rubber/chrome/speednuts/bare metal) installed in mine. There are 31 of them needed to hold the plastics down and i assume they should all be whote plastic and the same?

Thanks.

Pete

Fish Tales
1st December 2009, 09:52 PM
RTBB have the nuts http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1391&osCsid=aefaacc5d0239b5177cf4ae8f58cae3c

The pop bumpers look to have mylars around them, and they have lifted and allowed dirt to get under. Its possible this dirt has worked like sandpaper and eaten the artwork off. That is usually a Gottlieb problem though, and your mylar may just be dirty on top? Shellite is great for cleaning PFs, and then waxing etc. Novus 2 maybe after the Shellite, then a canuba type wax to finish off. Know that if you do pull-up mylar it may take artwork with it. Do a search on here for mylar removal.

STINGRY
1st December 2009, 10:03 PM
Phat,

Thanks for the link.

The dirt is under the mylar. It lifts up easy where the crud is. I will try the waxs and stuff. I read the mylar removal process last night.

Pete

Foot
1st December 2009, 10:05 PM
G'day, where ya from :D

The little white nuts are Acorn nuts and are available at most Pinball parts distributors

Read all the info you can on mylar removal

Looks like it''l be a fun restore, goodluck :cheers:

STINGRY
1st December 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks.

I am from Canberra. In case you did not know - its ALWAYS COLD HERE!!!! So much for summer!!!

rod71
1st December 2009, 10:31 PM
Looks like an excellent starting point. Be VERY careful with the mylar removal.

stuba
2nd December 2009, 09:17 AM
will really follow your progress with interest on this one! i have a HG playfield fully furnished in nice condition. my dream is to find a donor cab and get it going again. thanks for the pics and the posts. looking forward to the updates as you progress.

LOTR4U
2nd December 2009, 10:40 AM
WOW nice first thread Pete! :D

STINGRY
2nd December 2009, 07:24 PM
You could always send it to me and save some bloke in Canberra a LOT of time!
:laugh::lol:lol

Hey DISCO,

Hmmm a restored playfield....

stuba
4th December 2009, 10:28 AM

Hey DISCO,

Hmmm a restored playfield....

not restored but in good condition (no wear, will require mylar removal). wiring harness has been snipped so its a big job to get it going in another cab. I'll take some high res pics for you and you can compare and see if its worth it. I'll probably never get to getting a cab for it but I always thought if i come across a HG with an ordinary playfield I could swap this one in. pm me your email.

@lien_Zed
4th December 2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks.

I am from Canberra. In case you did not know - its ALWAYS COLD HERE!!!! So much for summer!!!

if you like we can send you some 35 degree heat with constant 85% humidity

u sweat like a dog and feel soaking wet all day cos the humidity is too high

i hate summer here....other then that, its a bloody nice place :023:

stuba
4th December 2009, 12:28 PM
mmnnnn

canberra winter or townsville summer. having experienced both i vote the summer. can't stand that freezing wind and total misery of the cold in canberra. having said that i lived there for 6 years and love the place (but only in the summer!).

let me know re the PF.

STINGRY
5th December 2009, 10:25 PM
PM sent.

harryhoudini
5th December 2009, 10:33 PM
Pete
Great posts. Thanks for the pictures you emailed me. I told you these guys know their stuff. Hope all goes well with the resto. :cool:

rgds
Mark

STINGRY
6th December 2009, 04:38 PM
Well as my first foray into pinball here is the lesson for us beginners. Always compare parts.

The new coils I received from MARK C were already wired up with diodes. The ones in the machine were wired but in complete reverse. (IE check the polarity of DIODES). MARKS were brand new USA made diodes so they are correct.

Now I have a relay on the solenoid driver board that is providing a lightning show. About to change the wiring on the left flippers again.

I started with a working right flipper and now I have none working. Everything else on the machine works except the flippers. I guess I could always leave it on self and never play it!!!

Will report on the outcome once I sort out the polarities. Probably easier to replace the diodes but I will swap the wires so that if I need to replace coiles again they will drop right in.

Pics to follow.

Pete

STINGRY
6th December 2009, 07:44 PM
OK.

Right flipper fixed. The N/C switch was open.

Left flipper coil (bottom one) fixed. Installation of a coil in reverse shorted one side of the coil (0.2 ohms). Replaced with new. At least it was only a $20 mistake and did not trash the solenoid board.

Left flipper coil (top) still needs to be reinstalled.

Game plays good with one flipper but hard to get some shots without the second left flipper. Will get back to it later in the week.

Progress is good. Next steps are to fit second flipper coil solenoid and get all lamps working prior to an LED changeover. Hopefully bits and pieces for playfield will turn up while I am doing this.

STINGRY
15th December 2009, 09:39 PM
Just received a full set of paint stencils. Plan is to strip the cabinet once I get everything working in the next week and then paint and apply stencils.

I picked up some builders bog today to fill in scratches on the externals of the cabinet. It has had a hard life but is in good hands now!

I have been slack with photos as I am working on a backyard project (retaining walls arrrhhhhh). Should get back to the pinnie soon after christmas.

Pete

harryhoudini
15th December 2009, 09:46 PM
Pete
It sounds as if you are really getting stuck in. Not much news still chasing some stuff for the Attila ( sound board) and thinking about getting another 90's pinball. Tony has a gilligans Island that sounds cool. Other than that on RAP on friday so hopefully Pinball work after XMAS.

Keep us all posted on the resto. Did the stencils work out OK.
rgds
Mark

STINGRY
15th December 2009, 10:04 PM
Pete
It sounds as if you are really getting stuck in. Not much news still chasing some stuff for the Attila ( sound board) and thinking about getting another 90's pinball. Tony has a gilligans Island that sounds cool. Other than that on RAP on friday so hopefully Pinball work after XMAS.

Keep us all posted on the resto. Did the stencils work out OK.
rgds
Mark

Mark,

I have not done much except hcase solder breaks and replace one coil. Bit of a saga as teh diodes were wired wrong by the previous repairer. I have one more coil to install this week.

Stencils look good. Not going to apply them until I strip the cabinet and do some major odywork. A few scratches from kids in the side etc. Once I get my back lawn sorted (one more week) then I can launch into the cabinet. I also have the pinscores oming from Marco Specialties. I will also put in LEDs once Tony gets more in stock.

Hopefully have it all jazzed up by the end of January.

Pete

harryhoudini
16th December 2009, 11:53 AM
Pete
If you are looking for LEDS ebay this number 140356506870. I have used these guys quick deliver and very cheap. Just work out what you need for your order. Be careful early Bally machines sometimes don't like LEDS.
rgds
Mark

STINGRY
17th December 2009, 08:58 PM
Mark,

tah.

Whats the issue with old Bally machines and LEDS? Do I need to leave some standard bulbs in to keep the current up for the driver circuit?

Pete

harryhoudini
19th December 2009, 10:06 AM
Pete
Thats my understanding. I tried to rebulb the Strikes and Spares and it just went nuts. Maybe someone on here may be able to add some incite. May be over in Canberra next week to pickup the Solar Ride from the guy with the Harlem.

rgds
Mark

AskJacob
19th December 2009, 11:43 AM
The switch and lamp matrix both share logic. Without a proper load on the lamp circuits things can start to go very strange indeed.

I am not a much of a fan of LEDs on older machines personally, but I have certainly seen some where they look pretty damn good indeed, and looked like it is how they should have been made!

Cheers
Jacob

STINGRY
21st December 2009, 06:46 AM
The switch and lamp matrix both share logic. Without a proper load on the lamp circuits things can start to go very strange indeed.

I am not a much of a fan of LEDs on older machines personally, but I have certainly seen some where they look pretty damn good indeed, and looked like it is how they should have been made!

Cheers
Jacob

Thanks Jacob.

Does anybody know how many LEDS/LAMPS can be installed to keep the lamp matrix circuits happy? Is it half and half? 1 to ten or some other ratio? I assume that a constant current is from the lapms to keep everythig happy.

Pretty keen to pimp the HG with LEDS so that it is lower maintenance over teh long term.

Pete

AskJacob
21st December 2009, 08:00 AM
Looks like some day they should release SS LEDs, which have a load resistor to make them appear like a lamp to the driver board. While not as power saving, they would still have the high reliability - more heat than a regular LED, but less than a Lamp....

As to how many lamps are the sweet spot - I have not done any playing about so could not tell you sorry. I also believe that different games would behave differently so it may be hard to come up with a general rule. I also have a bit of a theory that the health of the 5v power supply has a lot to do with whether a machine freaks out or not, but again, have not had a chance to look into that.

Best bet would be to focus on the areas where the LEDs benefit you the most e.g. the hardest sockets to reach, or the inserts that look best with an LED behind them, rather than try to replace all the lamps.

Cheers
Jacob

STINGRY
21st December 2009, 11:00 AM
Jacob,

Thanks. Will give it a go and report on my rseults.

Pete

STINGRY
25th February 2010, 09:53 PM
Well no progress on the HGT. I still need another solenoid to get the third flipper going. The lights on the backglass also stopped working?

These things are fragile due to their age. I have some fault finding to do. Probably won't get back to this till April.:rolleyes

harryhoudini
7th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Pete
Any updates??
Got myself a Williams Jungle Lord. Still hunting the SSU1 sound board

rgds
Mark

STINGRY
9th April 2010, 08:45 PM
Mark,

Been slack. Too much work. I haven't even got the solenoid yet. Oh the shame.

I wil work on it next few weeks in between some school work.

Pete

blue95
16th April 2010, 10:34 PM
Pete
Any updates??
Got myself a Williams Jungle Lord. Still hunting the SSU1 sound board

rgds
Mark

Good game that Jungle Lord

STINGRY
10th February 2011, 09:18 PM
Had the HGTOT over at a local shop for repairs. Pick it up saturday. It will be electrically sorted now. (I could not work out an issue with a solenoid/flipper - a previous owner had done something wierd). I will play it this weekend and then the restoration begins. I have new LED displays and a set of stencils. First step will be painting the cabinet followed by a shop of the playfield/new rubbers etc.:)

illawarra_steelers
10th February 2011, 09:29 PM
That sounds great...make sure you post photos of your restoration.

Steve Hyde is a great pinball tech down your way, if you ever need his details drop me a PM.

Railways
18th December 2011, 07:05 PM
Bump Mark, How's the resto going?. I have a trazillion questions:D

STINGRY
18th December 2011, 08:09 PM
Bump Mark, How's the resto going?. I have a trazillion questions:D

Been gathering dust till I sort out the next electrical problem. I will post on here to see if anyone has a solution. I am way out of my depth with this thing!

Will have another go at it late this month when I get some holidays.

JOKERPOKER
18th December 2011, 08:13 PM
Ask Rod from pinball people he may be able to help.:)
Is now posting on AA and a good guy

STINGRY
18th December 2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks.

Here is a great HGOT resto site for those doing the same as me.

http://85.151.167.205/pinball/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&view=category&catid=4&Itemid=61

Pete

Railways
18th December 2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks Pete, Nice website. The Harlem cab looks good and seems to have been clear-coated as well in Satin I think:unsure.
Good luck with the re-start on the harlem. pm me if I can help you as well.