PDA

View Full Version : Artwork onto checker plate , how would you do it ?

lexmark
10th November 2009, 07:03 AM
I have checker plate on the front of my MAME cab below the CP .

I probably ? would like to put some artwork onto it .

Anyone got any idea's on how one might apply some art ...so that it still looks neat ??

john

EMupp
10th November 2009, 09:04 AM
Off the top of my head I can only think of paying someone to airbrush it. You would have a horrible time getting anything printed to try to cover it.

retrogamer
10th November 2009, 10:04 AM
I reckon you would have a horrible time trying to get anything to stick to it...paint included. The only way paint would stick would be if you had it sand blasted to put a profile on the surface for it to stick to....but even then, being checker plate....?:unsure?

EMupp
10th November 2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I think this is pretty much a lost cause mate. To be honest I think it would look like crap even if you can find a way to do it. All you can really do is change the checkerboard out for plain metal or wood and cover that.

@lien_Zed
10th November 2009, 12:48 PM
i would ditch the checker plate and get wood or plain flat steel

AskJacob
10th November 2009, 01:28 PM
Is there a clear overlay material that has a checkerplate pattern? That would be the only thing I could think of - a sandwich of mirror mylar, then artwork then the overlay.

Getting anything on top of a 3d surface like checkerplate would be HARD. If you know anyone who does water-transfer printing, then it could be done... like these guys http://www.hydro-dip.com/

Bloody awesome method of printing/applying stuff...

Cheers
Jacob

spacies
10th November 2009, 02:20 PM
You can apply it to checker plate using a heat gun and some serious patience. When I did sign application training we had to apply decals to all sorts of objects. I applied a decal to a basketball by stretching and heating it. It came up pretty sweet and I have seen decals applied to diamond plate before.

It can be done but for and easy solution just do as the others say, replace it with something flat or if you are handy with photoshop then draw something up with a diamond plate look :D

lexmark
10th November 2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah......i thought i might be fighting an uphill battle with this idea ...I'm thinking that i might give it a go though.

If i can come up with a basic design that i'm happy with ..ie..no more then 3 colours and not intricate , i might have a bit of a chance .

You can apply it to checker plate using a heat gun and some serious patience.

I've spent that much time on this cab. already ...i know i'll be disappointed with myself for not going that little bit further to get it right .

Thanks for the reply's guy's ....i will post pic's when its done .

john