PDA

View Full Version : MGL - T9 Game 10: Exerion

DKong
28th September 2009, 08:01 PM
Game 10: Exerion
Rom: exerion

Randomly selected from the MGL 9 game list, game 33 on the list (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25399&page=4)

http://www.klov.com/images/10/1057898860.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242105212.png

No Current Hi-Score

Manufacturer: Jaleco
Year: 1983
Class: Wide Release
Genre: Shooter
Type: Videogame
Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical
Type: Raster: Standard Resolution
CRT: Color
Conversion Class: unique
Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player
Controls:
Joystick: 8-way
Buttons: 2 [Slow Shot|Fast Shot]
Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Exerion Description

This is a shoot-em-up game with parallax effects in the background and a nice simulation of inertia in the control of the ship. You have lots of enemies and two kinds of shooting, slow and fast.

Cheats, Tricks and Bugs

BUG: In the challenge stage, if you shoot all 40 aliens you normally get a bonus charge of 60. Sometimes a red hydra comes out during this stage. If you shoot it and all 40 aliens, you get a total of 41. The game seems to fail the test of 'hits=40' and only gives you a bonus charge of 41.
HINT: Try so build your supply of bullets for the fast cannon so it can be used in critical situations.

HINT: To get a high score, if you do not miss any shots your bonus score will keep on doubling to 10000 then reset to 000. When at 10000 miss a shot then bonus score will revert to 5000.

Game Play

In this game you have two weapon systems: one slow double-shot cannon and one fast single-shot cannon. With each enemy hit by the slow cannon you get one shot added to the fast cannon ammunition supply. After each stage there is a challenge stage where you can also build your fast-shot supply.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7731)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.
Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.
Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.
Your scores need to be in by next Monday 5th of October BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).
DKong

MamePatrol
29th September 2009, 03:43 PM
What a slick game......

Can't wait to see some scores on this one.

Rat
30th September 2009, 09:21 AM
Cool game, I find the way it moves very frustrating, but fair, and different so therefore interesting. Not much time to play this week, I hope to find time to beat this score on Monday arvo.

DKong
30th September 2009, 10:24 AM
One of my all time fav's, maybe because I spent a fair whack of year 11 playing this in the common room instead of attending classes :laugh:

Jed
30th September 2009, 01:59 PM
Had a couple tries - I like this game, though I'm not that good at it :D

Especially like the huge pixellated bird/robots, reminds of the good old days of C64 gaming :laugh: The inertia of the ship trying to avoid things can be interesting.

Shudder to think of the winning score on this game - given the mad shmuppaz around here..

DKong
30th September 2009, 03:57 PM
I was having a hell of time with this, for some reason the version of MAME I was using would cause the game to reset once I had passed 100,000 and lost a life, One game I had 300,000 + and died and the game reset :realmad::realmad::realmad:

Went back to an earlier version of MAME and now it works!!:)

SectionZ
30th September 2009, 06:04 PM
Nice score DK, Ive got the original board for this one, never really played it though, except to test the board, looking forward to having a bash later in the week.

Are the correct dips lives=3 / Bonus =10,000 / Difficulty=Easy ?

DKong
30th September 2009, 06:08 PM
Nice score DK, Ive got the original board for this one, never really played it though, except to test the board, looking forward to having a bash later in the week.

Are the correct dips lives=3 / Bonus =10,000 / Difficulty=Easy ?

Now for the million :laugh:

Those are the correct dips :)

wingtipvortex
30th September 2009, 07:44 PM
Very impressive DK!! Must have a bash on this, as its one i really enjoy playing.
Dont think ill get close to that score though, well done:cool:

Jed
30th September 2009, 07:54 PM
Huge opener :cool:

Can I ask for a tip :)

Should you use both fire buttons at once to get the triple shot most of the time, or just mostly the double shot ?

DKong
30th September 2009, 08:33 PM
Huge opener :cool:

Can I ask for a tip :)

Should you use both fire buttons at once to get the triple shot most of the time, or just mostly the double shot ?

I mostly use the double shot, I only use the rapid when in trouble . First couple of screens I don't touch the rapid. You will see why ;)

BTW its all in the tips and tricks in the first post:)

fringert
30th September 2009, 11:31 PM
madly trying to hit f12 as I was reaching 1 million & blew last 2 men:realmad:
like donkey kong says only use rapid fire when in trouble, you should be able too built up a fair bit of ammo for the cannon that way
Our local squash court use to have this & bosconian, reminds me a bit of phoenix

wingtipvortex
30th September 2009, 11:55 PM
madly trying to hit f12 as I was reaching 1 million & and blew last 2 men:realmad:
like donkey kong says only use rapid fire when in trouble, you should be able too built up a fair bit of ammo for the cannon that way
Our local squash court use to have this & bosconian, reminds me a bit of phoenix
Top effort Fringert!!! You know you can hit F12 after the game is over, when you put your initials in.

fringert
30th September 2009, 11:59 PM
Top effort Fringert!!! You know you can hit F12 after the game is over, when you put your initials in.

:lol wanted to hit f12 in case it rolled over,as it did !

wingtipvortex
1st October 2009, 12:07 AM
:lol wanted to hit f12 in case it rolled over,as it did !
My mistake:o Didn't look at the screen shots:redface
Great score though, im shit at this, but im having fun:D

DKong
1st October 2009, 08:22 AM
Hey fringert what time did you post the score, did you get it in before 12 pm/am:unsure

Jed
1st October 2009, 12:44 PM
Well done on the million Fringert :cool: I'll be happy if I manage to breach 200k at the rate I'm going :rolleyes

henrybulldog
1st October 2009, 01:58 PM
got in the high 3k first time at bat, watch out fring im gunning for you. is the movement of the jet a bit laggy? wheres the 1942 loop to loop when you get in trouble?

kane
1st October 2009, 04:10 PM
wheres the 1942 loop to loop when you get in trouble?

I know what you mean, any vertical shooter like this one, whenever I get stuck I always go for the Pheonix shield button, in this case all it does is a double shot.

fringert
1st October 2009, 05:31 PM
Hey fringert what time did you post the score, did you get it in before 12 pm/am:unsure

about 11.30pm,shows 11.24pm on snap shot,so a few minutes after that!:)

DKong
1st October 2009, 06:21 PM
about 11.30pm,shows 11.24pm on snap shot,so a few minutes after that!:)

Cheers, midweek points to you then:)

fringert
1st October 2009, 08:53 PM
I know what you mean, any vertical shooter like this one, whenever I get stuck I always go for the Pheonix shield button, in this case all it does is a double shot.

Try and use your double shot as your main shooter so you can stockpile the single shooter, which if you hold down becomes rapid fire. But only use in short bursts,don't use it all at once :067: :018:

kane
2nd October 2009, 07:17 PM
Try and use your double shot as your main shooter so you can stockpile the single shooter, which if you hold down becomes rapid fire. But only use in short bursts,don't use it all at once :067: :018:

I'm sort of the opposite, I keep dying with 100 charges left, so now I'm making myself use it more to stay alive longer.

MamePatrol
2nd October 2009, 08:04 PM
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/High%20Scores/0005.png

You guys are smashing this.

Freaks me out how you can get some of these scores. :o

wingtipvortex
5th October 2009, 06:05 PM
:redface Most ive ever got on this one, but still finding it a wee bit hard.
Cant load a screenshot once again for f%#*s sake!!!:realmad:

"exerion.bmp:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 224 x 320."<<< im thinking this size was acceptable?
Any ideas?

SectionZ
5th October 2009, 06:19 PM
:redface Most ive ever got on this one, but still finding it a wee bit hard.
Cant load a screenshot once again for f%#*s sake!!!:realmad:

"exerion.bmp:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 224 x 320."<<< im thinking this size was acceptable?
Any ideas?

Maybe if you rotate it 90 ?

how come you get .bmp ? screen dump rather than screen shot? (F12)

Just remembered about daylight saving, didn't get much time this week.
gunna have 1 last game if I have time...

wingtipvortex
5th October 2009, 06:36 PM
Maybe if you rotate it 90 ?

how come you get .bmp ? screen dump rather than screen shot? (F12)

Just remembered about daylight saving, didn't get much time this week.
gunna have 1 last game if I have time...
Dont know. Im using an old version of mame and when i hit F12 this is what it gives me? It goes into a bmp folder, there's no snap folder.

SectionZ
5th October 2009, 06:40 PM
Score

DKong
5th October 2009, 06:41 PM
I just keep dying point pushing :rolleyes, you can achieve big scores if you don't miss anything and use just the normal shot.
Every enemy/wave increases by 100 points every time.

The second screen ( the medium size birds ) I am scoring up to 6000 for every bird, once I finish this screen I have 300000-400000 points this is before the purple ****ers (thats what I call em :laugh:).
It would be quite possible to score 1,000,000 before the game repeats;)

It is all in the tips and tricks on the first post, I have never played this game this way and really puts a whole new dimension on it.
For once its my right arm that is feeling the strain, I bet this game is a good Joystick tester :laugh:

Edit I might put the new game up early, as STFD of this ATM:p Plus I'm getting a bit pissy

kane
5th October 2009, 06:59 PM
Didn't get much time this week only figured out the bonuses tonight, but it's quite hard to stay alive long enough to score decent. Need another week on this one...

DKong
5th October 2009, 07:04 PM
Didn't get much time this week only figured out the bonuses tonight, but it's quite hard to stay alive long enough to score decent. Need another week on this one...

Same, really puts a whole new spin on this game, and for years had not worked it out.
No button mashing for this shooter ;)
And should go down as one of the all time classics, as its taken me 20 odd years to realise the bonus's I was missing:lol

Just in case no one realised we are on daylight savings time, as per the rules on time spiel.
So any late score posters do it now as I am collaborating scores mwahhh ha ha, sorry doing my Dr Evil laugh :p

SectionZ
5th October 2009, 07:41 PM
I had never even heard of this until I tested the board I got for $10 :p

Even then I thought, cool a shooter no ones cares about <_<

But after playing it in this MGL & getting some tips from you guys, what a cool little game, how many different sprites are there ? & no notable slowdown when the large phoenix type sprites appear.

Thats the great thing about MGL, you can get mame & the ROMS but until you really get into a game, you don't know what your missing :blink:

SZ

DKong
5th October 2009, 07:43 PM
FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

[/FONT]

MGL - T9
Game 10 Results

Game 10 is officially over

Thanks to those who participated and submitted scores

Results for Game 10: Exerion

fingeret now holds the highscore for this game 1,308,500 (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631)

1. fringert 1,308,500
110 points (includes bonus midweek points)

2. DKong 815,700
62 points

3. SectionZ 319,400
24 points

4. MamePatrol 197,700
15 points

5. kane 184,500
14 points

6. Jammasized 145,700
11 points

7. Rat 124,700
10 points

8. Wingtipvortex 65,300
5 points

*Wingtipvortex had trouble with his screen shot, but I am not doubting it :p so if anyone as objections to me including his score just say. I think he is being legit, so included his score*

Leaderboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=317848#post317848) as been updated.

Scoreboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631) has been updated

wingtipvortex
5th October 2009, 09:55 PM
Well done to Fringert, you really are Rainman:lol

"*Wingtipvortex had trouble with his screen shot, but I am not doubting it so if anyone as objections to me including his score just say. I think he is being legit, so included his score*" Thanks mate, had troubles with this some time ago as well, not that my wooden spoon score made much of a dent:lol

fringert
5th October 2009, 10:03 PM
Well done to Fringert, you really are Rainman:lol

"*Wingtipvortex had trouble with his screen shot, but I am not doubting it so if anyone as objections to me including his score just say. I think he is being legit, so included his score*" Thanks mate, had troubles with this some time ago as well, not that my wooden spoon score made much of a dent:lol

mis-spent youth......adulthood

DKong
5th October 2009, 10:34 PM
Should I say Amen to that right now :unsure